When do you start to worry about toddler not talking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21.5 month old niece hardly says any words yet and I am just wondering at what age should we start being concerned? She can say a few animal sounds...moo, meow, ooh ooh ahh ahh (monkey), woof, and I think that is it. When we ask her to try to say something she just looks at us blankly but she can point to pictures of the things we ask her. Her few other word are NO and she can say my two kids names otherwise she is all jibberish which is cute but when is she gonna spit some words out? I have heard of kids not talking until they had it all figured out and then just started in sentences but does that mean they never even tried?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM

I think in general is you start to be concerned if they don't say much at 2 years

But of course they can start later and be just fine

My daughter generally misses her 'milestones' by about a month, and I don't stress over it... She didn't crawl til a year, didn't sit unassisted very well until 10 months... It's all good
Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 PM

I didn't even talk jibberish. Then at around 2 years old I started talking in complete sentences! If your niece is understanding others and is able to communicate other ways (pointing, showing, etc.), I don't think it's something to worry much about until after the 2nd birthday (that's not a scientific opinion, however!).

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM

Sounds like a good time to be concerned to me. I say that not in a judgmental way but as the mother of a boy who said very, very little of that age and responded with blank stares to a lot of directions.

It's free to have her evaluated by Early Intervention. Contact the EI in your area to get her checked out.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM

We started looking into evaluations at 18 months. A friend of mine's sister is a speech therapist and she had a good point. Set up the evaluation as soon as you suspect there is a delay. Worst case you cancel the evaluation if speech has caught up. It took about 6 weeks before my son could get the evaluation. In our case my DS did not improve much and we were glad that he had help sooner.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHa View Post
My 21.5 month old niece hardly says any words yet and I am just wondering at what age should we start being concerned? She can say a few animal sounds...moo, meow, ooh ooh ahh ahh (monkey), woof, and I think that is it. When we ask her to try to say something she just looks at us blankly but she can point to pictures of the things we ask her. Her few other word are NO and she can say my two kids names otherwise she is all jibberish which is cute but when is she gonna spit some words out? I have heard of kids not talking until they had it all figured out and then just started in sentences but does that mean they never even tried?
It sounds like she is saying quite a bit actually. If she's understanding most of what her parents are saying then she is probably fine. My second son didn't say mama until 23 months, then a month later he could count to 20 and knew all his letters. My first son was speaking in sentences at a year old. All kids are different. It certainly can't hurt to get an evaluation though.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 PM

My baby Klara is about the same age and is speaking about the same as your niece. I'm not worried at all. She says, "mama, dada, hot, burrr (that means cold :-), puppy, ball, poo-poo, and she makes lots of animal sounds, woof, meow, moo, etc.

Since I don't know any adults who can't talk : I'm a bit confused about what the concern is in general about the "late" talking - is it autism (which has lots of other symptoms), hearing problems, brain damage?

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllyssa View Post
My baby Klara is about the same age and is speaking about the same as your niece. I'm not worried at all. She says, "mama, dada, hot, burrr (that means cold :-), puppy, ball, poo-poo, and she makes lots of animal sounds, woof, meow, moo, etc.

Since I don't know any adults who can't talk : I'm a bit confused about what the concern is in general about the "late" talking - is it autism (which has lots of other symptoms), hearing problems, brain damage?
Reasons for concern:
Speech delay can be an indicator of other, treatable problems, like hearing problems.
Speech delay can be an indicator for autism. Especially if the child doesn't communicate nonverbally, either.
Speech delay can make for a VERY frustrated baby and VERY frustrated parents.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here is a resource to give you an idea of milestones....

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002010.htm

A synopsis:

LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT

Normal toddler language development typically includes:

Using 2-3 words (other than Mama or Dada) at 12 to 15 months
Combining 2 words at 16 to 24 months -- there is a range of ages at which children are first able to combine words into sentences; if a toddler cannot do so by 24 months, parents should consult their pediatrician or family doctor
Pointing to named body parts at 18 to 24 months
Naming pictures of items and animals at 18 to 24 months
Beginning to state name at 22 to 24 months
Old 10-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
It sounds like she is saying quite a bit actually. If she's understanding most of what her parents are saying then she is probably fine. My second son didn't say mama until 23 months, then a month later he could count to 20 and knew all his letters. My first son was speaking in sentences at a year old. All kids are different. It certainly can't hurt to get an evaluation though.
I agree. As long as she is understanding what you're saying and can communicate back, I would not panic. A LOT can happen in a couple months with kids that age. And evaluation is not going to hurt anyone if it helps put her parents' minds at ease.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 PM

My oldest DS, now 15, didn't start talking AT ALL until around his 2nd birthday, and within a couple months he was carrying on conversations.

Now my 24mo DS can say about 25 words right now, but it is very hard to understand the majority of them. It's frustrating not being able to understand him, but I'm not really worried yet.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem View Post
We started looking into evaluations at 18 months. A friend of mine's sister is a speech therapist and she had a good point. Set up the evaluation as soon as you suspect there is a delay. Worst case you cancel the evaluation if speech has caught up. It took about 6 weeks before my son could get the evaluation. In our case my DS did not improve much and we were glad that he had help sooner.

: we're going through the same thing her w/ my 14 mo dd. Early Intervention is WONDERFUL
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 AM

One of the problems I have with waiting until ___ (2 years, 3 years, 4 years old - whatever your cutoff) is that in the meantime the child and family may be getting increasingly frustrated. As someone else mentioned, there is a waiting list for an assessment through EI, and there is also one for private evals if you want to go that route. After the eval, there is a waitlist for therapy, if the child qualifies. So you could call this week, have the assessment in a month or month and a half, then wait another month for someone to start therapy. At any point, the parent can stop the process. If the child starts talking between test/therapy starting, you can call the EI center and ask them to take you off the list. Around here, at least, the program is entirely voluntary.

One general rule I've found is that if someone is concerned about the child, it's worth checking. Mothers have a good radar for things going on with their children.

User Tag List