Mothering Forum banner

Car sickness

606 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mazajo 
#1 ·
My 28 month old daughter has started getting carsick.

She seems ok on short trips, but I take her to visit my Grandma every week, and it's a 45 minute driv, aprt of it on windy roads. Last week she was throwing up, this week, she just looked kinda green, but I did take her coat off in the car, and we kept the car cooler.

Any suggestions? I give her Gravol before we head home, and it works great, but it makes her sleep. So, if i used it for the trip in, she'd sleep thru the visit with great grandma. Also, we only stay a couple hours, and she can only have gravol every 6 hours, so I coudln't use it both ways anyhow.

I get car sick, and the only thing that really hleps me, besides gravol, is sitting in the fornt seat. I can't do that with a 2 yr old though.

I know what it's like, so I just feel so bad for the poor little tyke.

#2 ·
Have you considered a homeopathic? I get carsick very easily and taking a homeopathic remedy always helps. There are several remedies available. Maybe check your local health food store and see if they have any that would be okay for her to take.

You could also try the seasickness bands? They carry them at CVS and at our local health food store.

Sorry she's having a hard time.

#3 ·
My DS is 30 mo and has been getting carsick, oh, from the beginning, just about.

Known triggers for him: an empty stomach; a full stomach; bright sunlight in winter (sunlight/shadows from trees--does much better on cloudy/rainy days or at night); winding roads; lots of stops or turns

Ginger is good for calming nausea. You could try ginger cookies or ginger tea about 20-30 mins before leaving. Fresh air (cracking open the windows) can help. If somebody else is in the car, you can have them gently press down on the top of her head (crown) with their hand for a minimum of 10 seconds, or as long as she'll tolerate it.

We're just waiting for him to outgrow it; meanwhile we assume he'll be throwing up if it's more than a 15 minute ride. Not fun!

#4 ·
I second the ginger idea. My 11 yr old STILL gets carsick if it's more than a 20 min drive, but crystallised ginger to chew on and a water bottle of cold ginger tea to sip helps a bit. The bad news is that it doesn't stop it, just makes things a bit better.

The other thing you could try is if there is no one in the front passenger seat, remove the headrest so that your daughter can see out the front a bit better. This is the one that worked best for us.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nighten View Post
Have you considered a homeopathic? I get carsick very easily and taking a homeopathic remedy always helps. There are several remedies available. Maybe check your local health food store and see if they have any that would be okay for her to take.

You could also try the seasickness bands? They carry them at CVS and at our local health food store.

Sorry she's having a hard time.

I"ll see about a homeopathic remedy at one of the health stores.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fritz View Post
My DS is 30 mo and has been getting carsick, oh, from the beginning, just about.

Known triggers for him: an empty stomach; a full stomach; bright sunlight in winter (sunlight/shadows from trees--does much better on cloudy/rainy days or at night); winding roads; lots of stops or turns

Ginger is good for calming nausea. You could try ginger cookies or ginger tea about 20-30 mins before leaving. Fresh air (cracking open the windows) can help. If somebody else is in the car, you can have them gently press down on the top of her head (crown) with their hand for a minimum of 10 seconds, or as long as she'll tolerate it.

We're just waiting for him to outgrow it; meanwhile we assume he'll be throwing up if it's more than a 15 minute ride. Not fun!
Hmmm, I bet she'd eat ginger cookies! Sh'ed have to fight me for them...yeah, I like that idea. I'll try that. I'll just buy enough for both of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roche View Post
I second the ginger idea. My 11 yr old STILL gets carsick if it's more than a 20 min drive, but crystallised ginger to chew on and a water bottle of cold ginger tea to sip helps a bit. The bad news is that it doesn't stop it, just makes things a bit better.

The other thing you could try is if there is no one in the front passenger seat, remove the headrest so that your daughter can see out the front a bit better. This is the one that worked best for us.

I may try ginger tea as well. Not sure she'd drink it, but worth a shot.

No headrest on the front seat. I also sit up there, or I get carsick.

She is in the middle of the back seat. We try to encourage her to look out the window, but when she feels yucky, she tends to look down, and hold her hand over her mouth, poor thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.