Fell and bashed his nose - is it broken? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2007, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS just fell over and smashed his nose on the door. He's got a couple of red marks where it hit, and some minor swelling. No bleeding; i gave him some Arnica right away, he cried for a couple of minutes, and after about 15 minutes, he nursed to sleep ( near his naptime anyway).

I hate to put him through the trauma of ER or DR when i don't think it's broken (especially since i don't have a car and nothing's walkable); online it says the only problem is possibility of septal hematoma (blood pocket), but this seems like a long shot.

Anyone have advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 AM

hm, I probably wouldn't do er for this. But if it swells more, or if he cries when you touch it still, I would probably call the ped, I'm sure they could tape it up in the ped office if necessary.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 10-29-2007, 12:52 PM

It's definitely not broken. It is incredibly rare--if it's even possible--for a toddler/young kid to break his/her nose. There aren't really any bones in there to break, it's all cartiledge when they're young. I learned this just recently when I called the ped. while debating whether or not to bring my four-year-old into the ER for a possible broken nose. His bled a ton and was hugely swollen, and still the doctor said it definitely wasn't broken. He got two black eyes, but his nose looked normal within a week or so.

My four-year-old (yes, the same one with the not-broken nose) has had NINE black eyes so far. He really dives into things! The doctor does like us to come in when he gets a black eye, but I only do if there's blood in the eye or if it's particularly bad.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List