Forgot to wash hands!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I am kind of freaking out. We are usually good handwashers around here, but tonight things got a little crazy with all the halloween preperation, taping on of spider legs, hunt for the butterfly hairclip, doorbell ringing every 30 seconds etc. that when we finally got out the door to go trick or treating, we did not wash hands. I realized this as they were eating a couple of pieces of candy on the way home, but didn't worry too much about it... until we got here and I went to use the bathroom. It looks like my daughter has, at some point before we left, dragged miscellaneous things out from under the bathroom sink. There was a rolled out toilet roll, soap bars, and worst of all the toilet plunger! I probably would be fine if not for that, but now I am really stressed. Am I making too big a deal out of this? Should I make a doctor appointment? How worried should I be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 AM

You're making too big of a deal out of it. What would you want a dr. to do anyway?

Kids get germs. Heck- some eat poop They survive.

-Angela
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I needed that.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 AM

we are supposed to wash their hands??

I wouldn't worry about it!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM

I do the same thing sometimes....We'll be around tons of kids and toys and then I realize, after dinner, that I didn't wash his hands. Oops!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Oh, my. I keep a very clean house but my son has ingested, I'm sure, much worse during his short life. Oh yes I have found him pretending to be a dog and drinking out of the dog bowl, running around outside with the dog toy in his mouth, splashing in the toilet and then putting his hand into his mouth.

Really no big deal, in my opinion.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:10 PM

I really wouldn't worry.

I have caught DS playing with the toilet brush more than once.

And even worse, one day he snuck over to the litter box, and in the 2 seconds I wasn't looking managed to get cat poop in his mouth!

He was fine in all cases.

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 PM

My daughter is growing up around a pet store. There are people and animals galore all day long! I wash her hands regularly but she also has eaten off of the floor on many occasions, pet the animals or had other people hold her between hand washes, picked her pasifier up off the floor and put it back in her mouth, etc and we usually don't worry about anything. She hasn't been sick once (in 16 months). My friend who has a baby the same age is obsessive about washing toys and hands and her baby is sick all the time, I personally believe because she's never exposed to anything long enough to create useful anitbodies! My daughter on the other hand is inoculated all the time.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Bacteria exposure is actually really good for kids. You may want to consider cutting back on the frequency of hand washing. I have my kids wash their hands before they eat if we're at the parents' center (or some other place where there are lots and lots of kids playing together), but I never worry about it at home, with animals, when we're outside . . .

Definitely don't worry about it!

lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.

User Tag List