Happy Second Birthday, November '05 Babies! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helen, I think the easel sounds awesome! What is wrong with a used one?

Hey did y'all see this? I get more and more furious about this all the time.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#62 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Hey did y'all see this? I get more and more furious about this all the time.
OMG!!!!!!! That's some seriously scary stuff!
#63 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM

I finally have my voice back!!!! Sort of. Homeopathics are amazing if you take the right one. Euphrasia cleared up Gabriel's painful, burning pinkeye and mercurius cleared up my sore (understatement!) throat. Anyway, just trying to keep up with the thread here.

What do you enjoy most about your toddler right now? His voice. The way he asks for things politely and sing-songy, especially when he asks for his vitamins, his cuddly personality and the way he greets me in the morning (all hugs and smiles, sometimes whining for a banana or cereal or a muffin).

What is the most challenging thing about this age/stage for you? Having the patience and mental creativity to deal with his headstrong ideas.

Does your kiddo still nurse? How "well" does he/she eat? No we stopped because it was causing such severe sleep deprivation for me I thought I was going crazy. He's all meat, eggs, and dairy. He'll eat grains and veggies too, and all around I think he's a pretty good eater, but if there's no meat he freaks out.

How is sleep now? Beautimous. He falls asleep easily by just walking him around for a few minutes then stays asleep all night most nights. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, he usually comes across the hall and crawls in bed with us. My favorite nights are the ones when the boys fall asleep, arms draped over each other.

What are your toddler's favourite activities? Favourite things? Sometimes it is hard to tell because he's always following his older brother. He loves turning the lights on and off (so is constantly asking for me to pick him up so he can reach the switches). He loves keys, especially keychains that have our car keys (and the remote lock buttons). He loves vacum cleaners and spray bottles. And painting on huge rolls of paper on the floor. He loves Mater, Lightening McQueen, firetrucks, Bob the Builder characters, wrestling with daddy and Willem, yarn monsters, marnerstins (willem's made up word that explains whatever), cheese, plain yogurt, and bananas.

If you could go back one year and give yourself advice, what would you say? Back two years? Two years? To give dh have time alone with Gabriel (maybe switch off who did bedtime routine with Willem when Gabriel was an infant), to not always have to be the one with the baby. I feel I sort of inhibited their bonding because I was always with Gabriel and would hand Willem off to dh when he came home. I also should have gotten a double stroller a LONG time ago (like before baby #2 was born). And spent more time outside. And allowed myself to meet other moms, even if they mothered differently than myself.

Thanksgiving is so soon! Gabriel's birthday is in a week and I have not done ANY prep yet! I went out shopping today and was so lost. Couldn't find anything on my list of possible birthday presents. We plan on celebrating as a family, at home, with chocolate zucchini cake! I want to do ballons and streamers and have him wear a birthday hat. Maybe we'll all go out to the plate painting shop after cake and make a birthday plate for him. Dh thinks he might be a bit young for that so maybe we'll paint a Christmas ornament with each of the boys.
Then for Thanksgiving, we're going up to my parents and will see my brother and his wife and three kids. Chris and I decided we're going to cook the majority of Thanksgiving dinner because after living with my parents for those two months in the beginning of the year we know my mom's cooking all to well - everything sort of thrown together at last minute, bland, overcooked and blah. Of course it's too late to reserve an all natural turkey:. So my next two weeks are going to be pretty full!
#64 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 08:37 PM

I have just washed the dishes, started dinner prep, cleaned the bathroom (including discovering that bathtub crayons are much more washable if you don't keep the masterpieces for several days) filed 50 bits of paperwork, and am allowing myself a much deserved MDC break. Then back to filing...I'm missing an important little bit of paper that I'm convinced is in our office if I can only get the paper piles under control :

I'm also enjoying an afternoon with Neela at daycare and me NOT working, and amazed at how much I can accomplish without toddler "assistance".

Amy I thought your girlasaurus Brynn might enjoy Neela's latest new song (to the tune of frere Jacque). She learned it at daycare and came home and taught me:
Stegosaurus, stegosaurus/ In the swamp, in the swamp/ Spikes on his tail, sharper than a nail/ Stomp stomp stomp, stomp stomp stomp (and imagine good stomping actions to accompany it).

Kavita Good luck with the party- have fun!

DiD I can't believe your wedding is sooo close! Are you getting totally excited?!

Helen I think a refurbished easel sounds delightful. What a great score.

Gunter The science museum sounds like so much fun. And seven containers of ice cream? Are you having a huge party?

Monique I'm glad you're feeling better. Neela and I did plate painting for my MIL for mother's day, and she did fine. I was nervous about her breaking stuff in the display area, but once we settled at a table it was great. They even had a highchair so she didn't have to stand on her chair.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#65 of 270 Old 11-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
DiD I can't believe your wedding is sooo close! Are you getting totally excited?!
Um, not exactly. More like freaking out and hyperventilating. :
#66 of 270 Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM

just bumping us up from the third page:
#67 of 270 Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mel, I sang Brynn the dinosaur song this morning and she LOVED. IT. I wish you could have seen the look on her face - it was like she'd opened a wonderful present. It was priceless.

#68 of 270 Old 11-10-2007, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm late for the 2nd birthday thread! I had totally meant to participate in this month's b-day thread from the beginning. But, I did just read every word posted so far, and I want to say
HAPPY BIRTHDAY NOV05 BABIES! : :

I cannot believe it's been 2 years!! I LOVE going back & reading in our old DDC. I've done it many times just for fun, & have especially enjoyed reading things I wrote during each week of my pregnancy & comparing it to this pregnancy (it is mind boggling how *exactly* the same they are). In fact, I have so many moments that feel like such deja vu because here I am with a belly full of baby, dealing with everything related to that, and chatting with my Dec07 ddc & I feel over & over like "Whoa. Wasn't I JUST saying/doing/thinking/living this with Xeowyn like yesterday??" Time flies. :

There's like 84million things I want to respond to that you guys have mentioned. I wish I'd gotten on our darn thread earlier in the month! I love reading your updates- Xeowyn is so similar to your munchkins in so many ways! It'd be SO fun to see all our Nov05 ddc kids together.

We're going to have a small party for Xeowyn on his actual birthday, the 26th. I'm going to take him to the party store & let him pick out some themed plates (I'm sure it will be Elmo, Bob the Builder or Blue's Clues), get some matching balloons, & bake him some sort of yummy thing. We're giving him finger paints, books for toddlers about potty learning, home made playdough, & puzzles.

Last year his bday was a big deal because our whole family was already here visiting for Thanksgiving, but this year they're all saving their trip until Christmas, when our baby's due!

Things will always be so crazy for us this time of year - Thanksgiving, then Xeowyn's birthday, then Christmas AND/or the new baby's birthday, then my bday Jan 16th, & our wedding anni Jan 29th. Craziness I tell ya!

I apologize for being so very lazy at the moment, I don't want to go fishing around for pictures to post. But, you can scroll through the pages of my blog linked in my sig & you will come across many, many pictures of us all.

So is everyone going to post pictures from their shortlings 2nd birthday parties like we did with their firsts or what??? :

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#69 of 270 Old 11-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What do you enjoy most about your toddler right now?

The way he makes me laugh! And fills me heart with happy fuzzies! He is just so darn adorable & clever & loving & hilarious. He makes us all smile 99999.999 times per day.

What is the most challenging thing about this age/stage for you?

That's easy! Two things: 1. The temper tantrums he throws in public. Here I am nearly 34 weeks pregnant, trying to peel my screeching & wildly kicking toddler off the parking lot pavement while a truck sits there waiting for me to do so. Or leaving a store with bags over my arm & my wailing toddler decides to lay on the floor in the door way. Oy that's frustrating.

2. He throws EVERYTHING! All. The. Time. Anything he can get his hands on, food, painfully heavy blocks, groceries on the shelf at the store - & hucks them across the room. If I am lucky, they don't land against my poor 9 yr old's forehead.

Does your kiddo still nurse? How "well" does he/she eat?

My son is still quite the booby barnacle. He's on the boob this very moment. He still bfeeds many times per day & night. My milk dried up when I was 14 weeks along, but he hasn't seemed to notice. I can't wait to see the look on his face when my milk comes in after this baby!

How is sleep now?

Well, my being so ginormously pregnant subtracts from my sleep far more than Xeowyn does. He's co-sleeping completely with us now that I can't lean over to put him in or out of the pak n' play at the foot of our bed. He still wakes to nurse maybe 3-6 times a night. It might be less if my getting up to pee every hour didn't disturb him.

What are your toddler's favourite activities? Favourite things?

Boob. He calls it "boo-ah". He adores his family, loveslovesloves his dada, playing with his siblings & just being on our laps whenever we're doing anything interesting. He also loves videos more than I wish he did. I limit them but he has at least a couple tantrums per day because I won't let him watch Bob the Builder AGAIN. He loves coloring, asking us to draw things for him (today he handed me a crayon & told me to draw "poop! poop!" So I drew little poops behind the rabbit he'd already asked me to draw), playing in the kitchen sink, reading books, & playing outside. And he loves every one of the stereotypical BOY things- he's always carrying cars around, balls, monsters, making anything remotely shaped like a gun into one, duplos. He throws the dolls I offer him across the room & then runs up & kicks them over & over like they're a football. (I DO hope he responds better to his new baby brother/sister!! )

If you could go back one year and give yourself advice, what would you say? Back two years?

You know, I just can't think of anything. My life is fabulous. I'm so grateful I get to live it.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#70 of 270 Old 11-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Pah. For a moment, Zjande, I thought that was a birth announcement... good to hear from you though Alex had no time for baby dolls either (he bit his dolls penis off but has always been pretty good with animals and was pretty good with Isaac. Funny, I was thinking about you the other day, because Spark (remember that thread?) is pregnant again
Sorry, I need to get some pictures uploaded to photobucket, and I know that. I'll do it though.
Monique, I'm sorry you've been feeling so poorly. You've somehow electronically shared it though: Wednesday night I went to yoga and felt fine and made the mistake of using the words "easiest pregnancy I ever had..." Don't EVER do that. EVER. Anyone.
Thursday, I popped my symphsis pubis joint out of place, so now all three joints are hypermobile and grinding against each other. It's not as bad as it sounds (yet) but from experience, I know that this has the potential to get a lot worse. And my family spent the whole day shouting at me for being so weepy and cranky and irrational
Friday I got out of bed to discover my nose was a bit stuffed up, I'd added another 4inches on my waistline, waddled when I walked and was having major Braxton Hicks. I have constant rivers of snot running down my face. And Isaac just asked what that icky green stuff on the TV screen (six foot away on the other side of the room) is. : This is just FOUL.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#71 of 270 Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM

Just wanted to say, all these things are still making me laugh everytime I think about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
He loves coloring, asking us to draw things for him (today he handed me a crayon & told me to draw "poop! poop!" So I drew little poops behind the rabbit he'd already asked me to draw),
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Alex had no time for baby dolls either (he bit his dolls penis off but has always been pretty good with animals and was pretty good with Isaac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
the other night, she was singing it and laughing hysterically barely got the words out, "i like boogies on my pizza." where did she learn this? once i figured out what she was saying, we spent the next five minutes laughing and repeating it and me saying, "gross" which would get her laughing all over, again!
:

Helen, really, really,really hope things get better soon.
#72 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 01:55 AM

Hey girls, popping in to say hi. Getting all nostalgic around this time...and if there's an off-mothering list still going on, can someone let me know? I am trying to ramp off discussion boards, but would like to still chat with y'all.

He is very funny, as funny as a toddler can be with a vocabulary under 200 words. He gives a lot of hugs and kisses and isn't as crazy as I thought he was going to be. I think things are going on inside his head (I hope so), but he's a low-talker, very much in the telegraph stage.

That whole no-talking thing -- very different from his sister. He wants to do everything his sister does, I mean everything. He freaks out when we have to leave her at school, he wants to look at her Pokemon cards, he wants to eat whatever she's eating. I fully expect him to wear dresses and tights in the coming years.

He's also shy. What's up with that? That doesn't work well with my lifestyle!

He nurses to sleep; and he eats a lot, but at random times. He'll have a big breakfast, and live on air for the rest of the day.

How is sleep now?

Hahahaha. I remember sleep. It used to happen a long, long time ago. He refuses to nightwean, which adds to my suspicion that he is secretly a vampire baby. I mean that in a good way.

Maisy the Mouse. Isabelle. When dad comes home. Library storytime. Music. Maisy. Jumping. Maisy. Did I mention Maisy? Also Ernie and Susan and Tom and Pippo. He is totally obsessed with all of them. Also, puzzles -- which bucks the family puzzle-hating trend. Get that Sudoku away from me, bah!

If you could go back one year and give yourself advice, what would you say? Back two years?

Second children can be very, very different from first children...surprise!

And, EC rocks, will work out very well (he was completely PT by 18 mos) and save you lots of money. So don't cry over wet diapers.
#73 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 01:59 AM

Today was the second birthday party...you can read about it on the blog! Pictures coming soon.
#74 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 AM

She is very, very sweet and affectionate and loving. She is very confident and sociable and can charm the pants off of people in public. She is hilariously funny. She is very polite, says please and thank you for things, which I really appreciate. She bursts out with some new word or song or concept almost every day, often multiple times per day. She is really sensitive to the feelings of others. Her memory is insanely, unbelievably good. She is learning so many things, and enjoying it so much. She talks so much and is able to really communicate tons more. She is left handed, and holds a pen or pencil just like an adult and draws with it, and gets this very serious and pensive look on her face--I just like the left handed part because it's another way she's like me and something we have in common, but she looks so much older when she "writes", and I can almost imagine her as her older self. She is just cute and beautiful as can be. I also appreciate the fact that her world is starting to broaden and that she is able to really enjoy some time without me or her dad--she has a couple of babysitters that she really loves and she is seems as happy to be rid of me sometimes as I am to have a little break from her, so that's a nice part of this stage as compared to her earlier infant/toddler days.

The tantrums and the "no no no!" The boundary testing and being oppositional--she is into trying to run down the driveway toward the street because she knows it will get me to chase her. She is so curious and is into absolutely everything--nothing can go untouched or unexplored. Which is good, but can drive me crazy in, say, the grocery store, or trying to handle breakable items. She has to walk everywhere--hates the stroller and the ergo now, won't ride in a grocery cart without a major fight. The pickiness--she is sooooo picky about every.little.thing. Everything has to be what she wants, when she wants it, the precise way she wants it. If I try to put the "wrong" shirt on her, she throws a fit. She is very particular about everything these days, and has definite ideas about what she wants and doesn't want. It makes it very hard to manage her and get through the day--sometimes she really tests my patience and I find myself getting angry, and sometimes I just feel like I don't know the right way to handle some situations and I doubt/second-guess myself. So I don't always feel like a very skillful parent.

She still nurses, variable times per day. Sometimes it's just morning nap and bedtime, sometimes it's more often during the day or she'll wake up more at night. Overall, she's slowing down but she still is quite attached to the "num-nums", especially if she's sick or teething or just not feeling right. She eats fairly well in terms of solid food, but not as well or as much as she did from 6 mos.--about 18 months. I think part of it is her overall pickiness, and part of it is her growth slowing down somewhat.

How is sleep now?

Sleep is fairly good. It sometimes takes forever to get her to sleep and I have to nurse her to sleep, but generally once she's asleep she's down for most of the night until about 5 am when she starts to sleep more lightly and begins the morning nurse-a-thon. Often when I don't sleep well it's my own fault for staying up too late to have extra "me-time." She has started being much more able to go to sleep on her own with Daddy or even babysitters, and I'm working on letting her nurse but then just snuggle and sing songs and such to fall asleep and that's going okay.

She loves the park, especially the slide. She loves buses and gets really excited when she sees a bus on the street. She loves my cell phone, talking to grandma or daddy on the phone, drawing and coloring especially if it's a grownup pen, tapping away on the computer and pushing keys, she loves her doggies. Lately she likes grabbing our one dog (the one who will let her, lol) by the collar and walking her around the house saying "c'mon! c'mon!" She loves the zoo and really likes the elephants and the gorillas and monkeys especially. She also has a thing for turtles. She likes stickers, and playing with stickers. She likes climbing up on everything. She loves being read to and lately will sit and read her books to herself, or just look at the pictures. She likes me to sing to her. She really likes to play outside, and do bubbles. She also really adores our elderly next door neighbors, and likes spending time with them. She really loves water, and will play at the bathroom or kitchen sink forever if I let her. She is into wearing bracelets and necklaces, especially if they are mine and I'm trying to wear them! She also likes wearing hats. She talks about her friends Brynn and Noah Sage a lot!

Hmmm. This is a tough one. Sometimes I wish I had been better about trying the whole "Pantley pull-off" thing and not let her get so used to nursing to sleep all the time--that has been difficult for me sometimes. It also might not have been so terrible to have a crib that she could sleep in from time to time, for instance, when putting her down for naps. I think I would tell myself to be a bit more disciplined about setting a routine for her and myself, and also to exercise and get back into better shape sooner after she was born when I still had a good excuse for being out of shape!! Back one year, I would tell myself to find some babysitters that she likes and use them more often--she will enjoy playing with someone new and you will be way less stressed if you have some help and some time to yourself to get done the things you need to do, especially with the upcoming cross-country move.
#75 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 AM

Kavita.

OK, I've been thinking over and over about this in my head and can't come to a quiet place in myself: and I know Amy and Gunter have been somewhere similar with having homes that just don't feel clean anymore.
The story: Thursday, the floor for the extension was laid. It was a horrible day over here, raining, miserable, everyone was cranky. Friday, we got a phone call from our contact at the council confirming that we have the full grant that we're entitled to,and in the course of conversation it came up that the subcontractor who had been doing the groundwork for our extension was arrested on Thursday night for murdering his wife. Right now I'm falling to pieces and having nightmares about the rape and Rowan's birth all those years ago, plus some of the nastier moments with my ex. We don't know too many details, btw, but all the neighbours are gossiping- he's the kind of chap who knew a lot of people.

So yeah. That's been my week, with the addition of a bad cold and the third joint in my pelvis going. Right now, I don't want this extension, I just want it all to go away and for me not to have to think about it. And I am just really freaking out because one day, my gorgeous, beautiful, innocent little girl is going to come up against the reality of violence against women- against her, or one of her friends- and the chances are that in another 18-20 years time, nothing will have changed Really fed up today.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#76 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Helen - I'm so sorry. What an awful week!

I have to post really quick before I head off to church... we finished Ellie's room! The difference is absolutely unbelievable! I'm so happy its done! By the way, I made the valences and both quilts in the room.

Ellie's "new" room!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#77 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Jen! That is amazing! You did a fantastic job. What is the quilt fabric? I couldn't quite see it?

Helen, sorry you are feeling so down. It sounds like an avalanche of bad feelings. I hope that you can tunnel your way out soon.

I have loved reading all of your musings about the toddlers. Aren't they so much fun? We finally decided today that we're going to have a really informal get-together at the zoo for Brynn's birthday. It might be a little on the cool side, but the idea of having a house full of toddlers? : No thanks! The party is actually the day before her birthday, so for the actual big day, I think we're just going to have a day of doing something special and fun just for her, and make her favorite dinner and let her watch a Baby Einstein DVD.

Oh, Honeytree, I was thinking of your post (about my tidyness) yesterday and cracking up: yes, my house is usually really tidy. But my car?? : It is like the Pit of Despair!!!

I was giong to tell y'all something else but I don't remember what.

#78 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Thanks, Amy! Both quilts are butterfly themed. Here's a link to my album of quilts I've made, there are sub-albums with bigger pictures of both: Ellie's quilts. The one on the bottom bunk is really busy and scrappy looking (more so than I had planned), so I went the opposite direction with the quilt on the top bunk and did really big simple blocks with big butterflies.

#79 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

I'm glad painting the paneling worked out Jen! It looks nice! Definitely a lot brighter and lighter.

We're still working on Ella's room. And by "working on" I mean that, everything from her room is out in other parts of the house, the room is painted but nothing else has been accomplished yet! I had high hopes of getting a few more things done in her room before the birthday party, but of course we got a little behind schedule, part of which was my fault because I didn't start the painting until too late the night before, but part of which was because my babysitter who was going to come watch Ella and help with some part prep the afternoon of her bday was sick. So that set things back a little bit. I think things happenned more or less on the schedule that I had planned with the party itself though, so that went well. We were just so exhausted after that that we didn't do much, and maybe we'll get some of the rest of it done (curtains hung, furniture back in) today or this week. The painting, anyway, is done and I'm happy with it, so that's the bulk of the work!

This morning I made some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (which DH is in love with) and Ella actually seemed to really enjoy helping stir, dump ingredients in, etc. It's kind of good to know that she may actually be developing the patience and interest to help (or rather, "help") because parents are coming to my place for Thanksgiving. I had this dreamy vision of hosting my family and having my parents and sister and her family come down here for Thanksgiving this year, now that we're living within a reasonable driving distance (it's about 6-7 hours.) So I brought it up months ago, and my sister was sort of unsure, and then my mom was sort of unsure, and the next thing I knew my parents had hotel reservations as of Thursday! So they are coming, but my sister is probably not. I love Thanksgiving, and I actually really like cooking for it, and so I'm now in the planning stages. I hope I can still get a natural turkey ordered/reserved now!! It might be a little late in the game for that, but I'm not sure how things go around here.

On that note, has anyone read Barbara Kingsolver's book, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" ?? I just finished it--I had to wait several months with it on reserve at the library, but my time finally came and I did enjoy it. She talks a lot about turkeys, in particular naturally breeding heirloom breeds, which is what makes me think about it right now . . . .

Helen--sorry to hear about your contractor, that sounds really icky. Hope you feel better, physically, mentally and spiritually, soon.

Amy--birthday party sounds fun!

Kaspirant--Glad you survived the big birthday bash! I haven't checked out the pics yet but I will soon.

Zjande--wow, you're getting close to having a new little one!!!! I'm actually starting to get all excited now!!! I think you're leading the pack of the new crop of Nov. 05 babes' younger siblings! (Of course there is another younger sibling or two out there, but yours will be the first of a whole bunch coming close together!)

Mel--Glad you had some time to get some things accomplished! I love having the house to myself for a little while to get stuff done, without having to constantly be guarding both life and property!!!!

DiD--what the actual wedding date again?

Willemsmama--glad to hear you're all on the road to recovery!

Well, I'm off to try to accomplish something today!
#80 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
I'm glad painting the paneling worked out Jen! It looks nice! Definitely a lot brighter and lighter.
It works great as long as you prime it very well first with primer designed to go over wood paneling. Its a huge pain in the butt, but the results are so worth it. We've been painting over wood paneling since we moved here six months ago, and its finally ALL GONE!

Cooking with toddlers - welcome to my life! I do a lot of cooking, and especially with how our house is set up now (the kitchen and family room are open, and the couch is backed up against the kitchen counter where I do all my cooking prep, so the kids stand on the couch and help with everything). Its such good practice counting, measuring, mixing, etc... but I'm always nearly ready to pull my hair out after all the "help!" Now, instead of muffins taking me 10 minutes to make, its a 30 minute ordeal with another 20 minutes of clean up afterward... : I shouldn't complain, though, I know the kids love it.

#81 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 04:38 PM

Kavita, what happened about your trip to India in the end? I was just remembering that with Zjande leading the pregnancy epidemic, you'd been thinking out loud about maybe trying after you went to India- which was going to be last month???

Jen, I love the quilts I have no idea how you find the time- or the patience, though. I know you can't just drop a sewing machine whilst you chase after a rambunctious 2yo, at least not so easily.

Thanks for listening to me grumble: I just feel all up in the air about this (and Sunday night is phone-call-from-the-ex night, which never helps.) I know I should just be taking this as a reminder of how blessed I am in my life right now, but I'm having a hard time getting back to my happy place.

#82 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Ah, the cooking with toddlers... Rowan helped me make bread this morning, which was kind of fun because she thinks the stand mixer is HILARIOUS and giggled the whole time the bread was kneading. (I held her up so she could see it while it thumped the bread around.) Then I gave her a bit to play with, and I took another little bit and made her a bread bird. Then she got a bit frustrated with her bits and DH swooped in and made the CUTEST little bread bunny. Truly, he has unexplored talent in decorative pastry. They baked up a little lopsided but I'm sure Rowan will enjoy them when she wakes up.

Helen - BIG . . I hope next week goes better for you.

Zjande - enjoy the last bit of your pregnancy!

Jen - FABULOUS job on Ellie's room! Makes me wish Rowan HAD a room to decorate... she doesn't have her own space at all. Honestly we don't really feel the lack, except I go to other mama's houses and see all their toys confined to one room and I admit I am a little jealous. But our place is nice in other ways. Sort of.

Kavita - yes I read Animal Vegetable Miracle and I LOVED it. Especially the turkey sex bits.

After reading everyone's responses to the questions I feel like Rowan is a bit... I don't know, like there's some element of frustration with life in general that she's kind of missing. I mean, she gets frustrated, and sometimes whines a bit if she's singing a song and it doesn't sound like she thinks it should (bit of Daddy's perfectionism already I think - "mummy I can't sing! I can't sing that song!" and really, she's got all the words and maybe loses the tune a bit here and there) but she's never actually thrown a tantrum. She always responds to comfort or distraction. Theoretically this is a good thing, it certainly makes my life easier, especially shopping, than many of you - but it doesn't seem quite normal, kwim? Although, according to my mom, I was like that, and was just a really mellow kid. A blessing, probably - except the next kid will probably be like DH when he was a child and be just a walking sulking tantrum.

Yes, I said next kid. We're starting to think in that direction but my IUD is still firmly in place. I'd like to lose at least 20 lbs before we start trying, I don't think I'd be very comfortable pregnant with my weight the way it is now. So that'll take a few months, but we definitely want to have another one before Rowan is 4.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#83 of 270 Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM

i am So sorry i have been so behind this month!
i've been reading along almost daily, but haven't had the right circumstances, or time or energy to write. i'm with you all in spirit, and will share my two-year thoughts as soon as possible.

for now, i wanted to pop on and say hi and send big hugs to everyone, especially the mamas needing it right now.

finley turned two yesterday. it was a really beautiful, calm, fun day. i had rehearsal in the morning, then came home, baked a cake, and we had a little celebration with balloons, some presents, my sister in law, and our next door neighbors who have a little boy 18 months old. finley got a choo choo train, his true love and passion and obsession these days, and was deeply intensely and quietly ecstatic about it, sitting by his new train, pulling it along or watching it for, literally, hours.

we had the pleasure of seeing kaspirant and her man and her little boy, and it was so nice to catch up and see them again, finally, after trying for so long. jacob is a ball of light and energy and joy and action. finley is quite shy and sensitive with new people...the two were just about opposites. it's too bad we don't live closer, or else the two boys might be able to get used to each other and start playing together...maybe one day.

i took a bajillion pictures of our day yesterday, which you can see on the link below.

http://web.mac.com/hillarybaack/iWeb...thday%202.html

i'll be in touch, probably not til later this week, with comments to everyone, and the answers to the 2 year questions. this is my big week with the abc showcase happening on wednesday, so for the next three days, my life is going to be crazy crazy.

you're all in my thoughts! how grateful i am to have you all through this mothering journey, and on this two year milestone, how clear and strong that blessing is. thank you all!
#84 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Ah, the cooking with toddlers... Rowan helped me make bread this morning, which was kind of fun because she thinks the stand mixer is HILARIOUS and giggled the whole time the bread was kneading. (I held her up so she could see it while it thumped the bread around.) Then I gave her a bit to play with, and I took another little bit and made her a bread bird. Then she got a bit frustrated with her bits and DH swooped in and made the CUTEST little bread bunny. Truly, he has unexplored talent in decorative pastry. They baked up a little lopsided but I'm sure Rowan will enjoy them when she wakes up.

Helen - BIG . . I hope next week goes better for you.

Zjande - enjoy the last bit of your pregnancy!

Jen - FABULOUS job on Ellie's room! Makes me wish Rowan HAD a room to decorate... she doesn't have her own space at all. Honestly we don't really feel the lack, except I go to other mama's houses and see all their toys confined to one room and I admit I am a little jealous. But our place is nice in other ways. Sort of.

Kavita - yes I read Animal Vegetable Miracle and I LOVED it. Especially the turkey sex bits.

After reading everyone's responses to the questions I feel like Rowan is a bit... I don't know, like there's some element of frustration with life in general that she's kind of missing. I mean, she gets frustrated, and sometimes whines a bit if she's singing a song and it doesn't sound like she thinks it should (bit of Daddy's perfectionism already I think - "mummy I can't sing! I can't sing that song!" and really, she's got all the words and maybe loses the tune a bit here and there) but she's never actually thrown a tantrum. She always responds to comfort or distraction. Theoretically this is a good thing, it certainly makes my life easier, especially shopping, than many of you - but it doesn't seem quite normal, kwim? Although, according to my mom, I was like that, and was just a really mellow kid. A blessing, probably - except the next kid will probably be like DH when he was a child and be just a walking sulking tantrum.

Yes, I said next kid. We're starting to think in that direction but my IUD is still firmly in place. I'd like to lose at least 20 lbs before we start trying, I don't think I'd be very comfortable pregnant with my weight the way it is now. So that'll take a few months, but we definitely want to have another one before Rowan is 4.

I've previously tried cooking with Ella, but she hasn't had interest for more than about 2 seconds until today. I'm excited! I have a learning tower, and like I was telling Amy the other day, I bought it because I had these beautiful fantasies of baking wholesome things with her by my side in the learning tower kneading bread or stirring or what have you, but until this point she's mostly used it (the learning tower) for dragging around the kitchen to reach things she's not supposed to reach and get into and do things she's not supposed to do. Like once I walked out of the room for a moment and came back and found she'd climbed out of it up on top of the dishwasher and was hurling onions from a high shelf into the sunroom. :

flapjack--the India trip keeps getting put on hold for one reason or other. We were thinking of going over xmas but as it turns out it will likely be more like January or so, because there is some business that has come up that can't be put off that will prevent us from going in December. As far as our reproductive plans, they are indefinitely on hold. The idea of a two year spacing between giving birth and getting pregnant again seemed acceptable as a sort of vague theoretical construct. But now that that time has drawn closer and finally rolled around, I have realized that I am just not ready to be pregnant again or have another baby right now. And that I should not rush it based on an idea that my fertility is declining, because in all likelihood I will only have two children, and so I want to really be able to enjoy the pregnancy and the baby which will most probably be my last, which means waiting.

And part of that, like you spughy, means losing some weight first. I actually only gained about 20-25 lbs with Ella and I lost it all within two weeks of giving birth. Unfortunately, I have gained some of that back, so I am not only above my prepregnancy weight, I have the unfortunate distinction of also being above my postpartum weight!! : Right now I am just really annoyed with myself about the whole thing. I want my pregnancy to be filled with belly pictures and cute maternity clothes--right now I would be headed for 9 months of muu-muus and incontinence! Just sayin' . . . .

So spughy--wanna motivate each other?
#85 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 AM

Helen, what a horrible thing, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this; pg hormones are not making it any easier, I am sure. Sending you peaceful, centering vibes

barcelona, what a sweet beautiful boy you have - and your pictures are amazing. If you decide to stop acting, I am sure you can make a living with photography! Although I'm sure part of it is your darling subject!

FSM - so glad you stopped by for a chat!

Jen, you are amazing. You are Supermom, that is all I can say!

Sarah, Rowan just seems like such a special girl, I would love to meet her!
(Actually, I would love to meet each and every one of you and your DC!!)

Kavita, I am coming to your house for Thanksgiving! Now I have to bake some pumpkin choc chip muffins, too.... mmmmm

DiD - happy wedding day, mama! (whenever it is...) Hope it all comes together for you.

zjande, I always love reading your posts, you are so up, enthusiastic, and cool! I love your awesome bump, you are one beautiful mama!

Ok, I think I finally have time for this...

This is just such a fun age, she is learning and growing and just fun to be with! She is an intriguing mix of baby and child, has her own ideas and plans, and then will want to be on my hip like a little one.... She has gotten quite independent for the most part, but is pretty easy going for two.

Communication can be tricky sometimes - she talks well, but there is much she says I have to work at understanding. I have never had that trouble with my other two, but sometimes she is trying to tell me something, and we both get frustrated. She can be very singleminded - once she is set on something, she will get it come heck or high water....

Oh, my, yes.... 3 - 6 times at night, and often the morning marathon, when I would really like to pee. But there is nothing sweeter than her little voice in the night, when I ask if she wants to nurse, saying "Yes peese Mommy!" During the day varies, always to nap unless she naps in the car, but still pretty frequently. She is quite a good eater, sometimes I am amazed at how much she will eat.

How is sleep now? Well, if we weren't cosleeping it would suck, since she nurses frequently, but mostly it is fine.

Being outside, music, dancing, and of course her sisters are her fave, and everything they do, she has to be part of. She is quite the Daddy's girl, too. She loves to play with little animals and people, she will bring me a piggy, or a tiger, and say "Pway wif?" How could I possibly say no? She loves to color and "write" - we are working on the minor detail that those need to be done on paper.... She loves purses (mine, or her sisters play purses) and will sling one over her shoulder and say "Bye Mommy, see ya soon!"

One year, that she would come un-Velcro'd eventually....Two years, that it would be alright - my DH was still gone, and I was so worried about her not really knowing her Daddy. I needn't have worried.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#86 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 AM

My wedding date is December 1st. 20 days from today (Sunday)

I am so wrapped up in the Holiday Helper it's making it impossible for me to obsess over the wedding. Which is so good for me, because I was stressing so bad about it.
#87 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post

And part of that, like you spughy, means losing some weight first. I actually only gained about 20-25 lbs with Ella and I lost it all within two weeks of giving birth. Unfortunately, I have gained some of that back, so I am not only above my prepregnancy weight, I have the unfortunate distinction of also being above my postpartum weight!! : Right now I am just really annoyed with myself about the whole thing. I want my pregnancy to be filled with belly pictures and cute maternity clothes--right now I would be headed for 9 months of muu-muus and incontinence! Just sayin' . . . .

So spughy--wanna motivate each other?
Hell yeah! It's always good to have someone to be 'accountable' to! I actually posted on my blog, and I do have one friend who IM's me every once in a while to say "hey how's the diet?" like I asked all my readers to, but I think I only have about 3 readers and 2 of them don't care, or secretly want me to be fat. So yes it would be wonderful to have a motivational buddy! I'll PM you.

But I should warn you - and what the heck, I'll make this public - I have 40 lbs to lose. ALL of it is post-partum, since I was back to my pre-preg weight (a semi-healthy 130) within days of giving birth. If you'll recall from our DDC days, I only put on about 17 lbs during my pregnancy, which I was very happy about. Now, I am actually almost 15 lbs heavier than my all-time high PREGNANCY weight, at about 36 weeks (149 lbs) and at my heaviest, I was 20 lbs above it. I've dropped about 6 lbs off that weight, but I'm still around 163 which is just NOT healthy for someone only 5'0" tall. Post-partum depression is a b*tch, if one tends to self-medicate with food and avoid exercise like the plague because it dropped my milk supply. The worst was when I went back to work, when I was sad, desk-bound, and had easy access to a vending machine and a snack lady. I put on 10 lbs in the first month back. Since I quit work I lost a couple lbs without trying, just from not sitting in a desk all day, and since putting some effort into it I've lost a couple more, but it's going to be a long slow battle, since I can't focus on myself single-mindedly like I did before Rowan came along.

Anyway, enough "bellyaching" as my dad used to call it... Kavita and anyone else, I'll be happy to nag you via e-mail or whatever else you want for motivation as long as you return the favour!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#88 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 AM

Dude, I am so in on any weight-loss motivational work. I don't just visit the snack lady, I AM the snack lady.

I've gained 15, almost 20 (!) lbs since June (when I started writing for reals). It's just me, the laptop, and my hand in the brownies/cakes/pizza. I do exercise 3-5x a week, but apparently burning 200 calories at the gym does not erase the 500 cals I down in one sitting. Funny, huh.

Also, I really like to eat. A LOT. I think you and I may have that in common, Spughy. It's difficult to be a skinny foodie.

Good luck to all of you planning weddings and babies and all that good stuff. I am a little behind, obviously. Too busy eating.
#89 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Spughy, I'm aiming to drop 100lbs once baby is safely earthside. I did a fair amount of self-medicating with food since Skye was born, and put on 4 stone (that's close on 60lbs) that took chubby to obese. My weight's been constant since I've been pregnant, but shifting the extra is my project. In an ideal world, I'd like to be in a normal range by age 33: 32 would be better.

#90 of 270 Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Not to interrupt the weight-loss discussion, but I just wanted to share one of the most heart-melting moments I've ever had with Brynn. Pretty much all of yesterday she was *really* cranky - crying to the point of screaming (Kavita, you witnessed this the other night) at the drop of a hat. I still don't really know what her deal was, but by 8:00 last night, I was really close to losing it with her. She and I were in the kitchen and I was trying to clean up the dinner dishes, and she started flipping out about somehting, so I asked if she was hungry. She said yes, so I sat her at the table with a bowl of Gorilla Munch and some raspberries, and she munched happily and QUIETLY for a good 10 minutes. DH came into the kitchen to help with the dishes, and he and I were having a semi-whispered conversation about how irritable she's become the past few days, and how hard it is for me to be a good parent to her after having dealth with it all day. Out of nowhere, in the sweetest and most sincere voice, she says, "Thank you Mommy and Daddy. Thank you everyone." Jason and I looked at each other, and he said, "What are you thanking us for Honey?" and she said, "Thank you Mommy for giving me a bowl of Gorilla Munch and some berries." : I don't know where it came from , but the timing couldn't have been better. I think it's one of those moments I'll store in my Bank Account O'Love to remember next time she's screaming and throwing her dinosaurs at me.

barcelona, those pictures are beautiful. I love the ones with Finley's hands in his pockets!!

Well, we're off to knitting circle. Later Mamas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page