Happy Second Birthday, November '05 Babies! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 270 Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Susannah.

FWIW, if it was me that made me mad, my suggestion came out wrong. I'm just feeling conscious, sometimes, of the fact that I tend to wind my kids up by overtalking something.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 270 Old 11-22-2007, 04:32 PM

Dh and I just made an obscene amount of food for three people, only two of whom have full-sized stomaches! I blame it all on him; he loves to cook, and gets all nostalgic about holidays, so we have squash casserole, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry-apple sauce, deviled eggs, and a pumpkin pie. He was being restrained by making only a half dish of the green bean casserole! One day his taste for cooking and my taste for entertaining will match up... The pie is the last thing in the oven now, and the house feels warm and smells wonderful.
#183 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 09:30 AM

yesterday was such a fabulous day for me. I have been dreaming of eating the typical thanksgiving food since july b/c i didn't think that i would get to this year. we had planned to be in asia during november. anyway, since we can home early, we had a grand "thanksveganing" with our co-family. my belly was ready to stretch for me, unlike how most of this pregnancy has been...me eating like a little bird. soooo yummy!

happy belated birthday to rowan!

anyone else not buying anything today? i am trying to restrain from using all those damn crafty store coupons i got in the mail yesterday. there's a great Craft Market at the bead shop downtown that i will meet friends at tomorrow. the bead shop is run by a fellow breastfeeding, earty birthy mama. hey, i gotta support my peeps.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#184 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
We're off today! Yay!

I'm loving this holiday food discussion. Two of my students are doing their semester projects on the 100-mile diet, which has inspired me to be more vigilant about getting locally grown food, so our Thanksgiving is heavy on squash. Of course, there are a lot of persimmons, too, and that's pretty delicious. Though the toddler eats them two at a time several times a day, so poopy diaper changes have tripled in the past week. Oh, AND, this morning I discovered that a handful of discarded fava beans have sprouted in my compost pile; I have not idea what to do with fava beans, but I went ahead and lifted them and replanted them in the garden, so we'll see what becomes of that.

It's back to sunny and warm here. So much for sweater weather.
Did you read that book, "plenty"? I was bit fascinated with the locavore thing for a good bit. I also read "animal, vegetable, miracle" but that one was really hard for my vegan heart.

We did buy local squash, too but it was an odd experience. The lady who was selling them said, "you ever see a kid you just want to wack?" as a yelling toddler walked by. Uhm, what?! The kid's dad was close by and we were outside not even in a crowded area or anything. Total great place to yell, if you ask me. At first, i thought the kids was laughing. It took DH and I a minute to register that she has actually said that out loud. We were paying for our squash and left without saying anything. We talked about it in the car and DH wasn't sure he had heard her right b/c it was such a ridiculous thing to say! Anyway, no more buying from her. But i was a bit disappointed in myself for not saying anything in response to her.

#185 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
anyone else not buying anything today? i am trying to restrain from using all those damn crafty store coupons i got in the mail yesterday. there's a great Craft Market at the bead shop downtown that i will meet friends at tomorrow. the bead shop is run by a fellow breastfeeding, earty birthy mama. hey, i gotta support my peeps.
Yes, we're celebrating Buy Nothing Day. Adbusters is Vancouver-based, so I'm used to seeing more celebration for it- free swaps and events, etc. And the Plenty authors are from Vancouver, too- we used to follow their updates on The Tyee, which is a pretty cool online paper (and that I shamelessly promote for friends who freelance for it).

And thanks for the Bach tip, Helen.

We all have colds here, and I'm tired. Night-weaning is going pretty well, except the 5 am wake-up where she insists on going to the living room and sitting on the couch. She falls back asleep and I usually do, too, but if I even think about moving back to bed she wakes again. So other than the seriously kinked neck from couch (actually love-seat) sleeping, I'm actually getting more rest than before.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#186 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Doh, I missed Buy Nothing Day. Unfortunately I had to do a bunch of grocery shopping, as this is the day that the farm I shop at has the most vegetables and the eggs come in to the bulk store. Usually it's also the day for pastured chickens at the little grocery next to the bulk store but that didn't happen today it seems. And we have guests coming over for tonight so I couldn't really do some sort of default dinner and wait til tomorrow to go shopping. But, all I bought was food and all I'm going to buy is food.

DH put Rowan to bed last night and she slept from 9 until 6 the next morning, then didn't even want a boobie then, she just went back to sleep with a cuddle for another hour or so. So nice. Except DH still hasn't got the hang of how to put a diaper on so it doesn't leak : and she was a little damp this morning. Sigh.

Gotta go make pies...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#187 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 06:28 PM

We don't do buy nothing day. We do "crap, I need to put together a fantastic party picnic" day instead :
My baby turns 9 tomorrow. HTH did that happen?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#188 of 270 Old 11-23-2007, 07:14 PM

i'm so out of the loop.. i didn't even know about buy-nothing-day :... i bought red raspberry leaf, nettle and alfalfa from the health food store (im in vancouver seeing family and midwife for 9 days..woohoo) and bought groceries and pants for elwynn and tights and winter boots for ngaio.. definately not a buy nothing day for us...but a lot of the time where we live we don't buy anything.. its like once a week plus sometimes milk and or eggs from the store down the street..so i dont feel so bad. plus we are SO poor right now. im lucky that my family are all giving christmas and birthday gifts to my kids because im pretty much penniless right now. its hard having 2 birthdays and christmas and new baby all happening in a timespan of a month or two..:

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#189 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 AM

We just got back from visiting dh's brother whose family of five was staying at a house at a nearby beach. I so love that Woody has an extended family. He threw the football with his cousins, played in the sand, helped me find shells, and had a grand time going up and down the boardwalk. He spent the whole ride home listing off all the people he'd just seen and then moved on to all the people he knows. It feels so good to me that he understands what a community is by experience.

Fern, I feel the same way about Woody's birthday this month--relatives are already sending the presents, and we're planning on "re-gifting" a tricycle that we got him a few months ago but that was too big for him. (We immediately disappeared it to the closet, so he'll doubtless be excited to see it, but hopefully will be tall enough to USE it now!) That and a pair of hand-knit socks will probably be the extent of our presents.

Oh, one thing I wanted to ask y'all: What are/did you do for a cake? I want to bake something, but rich foods have not been agreeing with my boy lately, so I was thinking some sort of sweetbread or muffin. Any ideas?
#190 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 AM

i'm going to make a carrot cake i think (shaped like a snail..her favorite thing right now) i have a great simple recipe that uses apple sauce and maple syrup for sweetner, plus it has lots of eggs in it so its pretty healthy and not so sweet... she may or may not eat any of it..she has been off most foods lately. but it will still be fun to make a cake.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#191 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 03:23 AM

I did carrot cake for Rowan too. She didn't think much of it, but all her little friends gobbled it right up (cupcake format) and their parents were grateful for the lack of refined sugar and the fact it was ice-your-own and the icing was out of reach

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#192 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 PM

We're doing an angel cake with strawberry icing. Alex has a victoria sandwich His request. a WHOLEMEAL victoria sandwich cake, as well, bless his little cotton socks. I can't believe he's 9 already- well, in an hour's time. This time 9 years ago I was sitting on the toilet whinging about how much I needed a poo. Blasted castor oil. He seems very taken with everything, and we've just got back from Cadburyworld It's quite freaky, really, but the stuff about the Bournville village was fascinating.

#193 of 270 Old 11-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, here's the update from today for anyone who has been following the saga of my psychotic seamstress.

My sister and I went out to her house. She was pulling out of her driveway as we arrived. She stopped and got out and gave me this "OMFG what are you doing here?" look. This is after I called her, I sh** you not, 16 times since 10am Friday telling her I was coming.

She says "I HAVE to go to the store right now." and gets in her car and leaves. My sister and I stand there, dumbfounded, in her driveway. She comes back in 18 minutes and we follow her inside.

Her house once again was disgusting. Filthy, reeked of pee, her two older kids were downstairs cleaning the bathroom, poor things. Her sewing room was trashed, her baby cried the whole time we were there and my boobs were leaking like faucets.

But she fitted my sister for her dress, typed up an invoice for the remaining balance and I about sh** myself when she said I owed her another $120. But at this point, it's 7 days until my wedding, WTF else am I gonna do? I fork over the cash, she says to come on Monday at 12:30 for my final fitting and I'll be able to take all the dresses then.

Monday at 12:30 this nightmare will be over.

I hope.
#194 of 270 Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 AM

I just got back from visiting my family in Florida and being away from the computer for a week...I have OH so much to catch up on, but just wanted to pop in and say that I hope everyone (in the US) has had a lovely Thanksgiving week, and that all is well. I'll be catching up with you all in the next few days!
#195 of 270 Old 11-25-2007, 03:12 AM

First, happyyyyy birthdayyyy to all the babies! Two years, whoo-hoo.

We were in Victoria BC this weekend and picked up some yummy cakes today for Emmett. He was so happy with the candles and everything (we didn't talk about his b'day so much until tonight). He kept saying, "Happy Two Birfday, Baby." (He calls himself baby)

Last night we had yummy pies and dinner over at Spughy's house and DAMN she is a fine cook. My diet days would be destined for failure if I lived in Victoria and showed up at her house for dinner every night...and because we were in Victoria, yesterday we celebrated Buy Face Cream from Lush day. But that's why I love Victoria for US Thanksgiving, we get to skip the mad rush for the malls. Here there were malls opening at MIDNIGHT with bands playing and everything. Why would someone go shopping at 2 AM?!? And the poor people working...

OK, if you've had an unconventional baby shower (or know someone else who had one) --- please please please e-mail me. Big rush! Even if you have an idea for one.

Kavita, I know this was a while ago, but I would also say that kids at 2 tend to try on phrases. Has she heard you use similar words before? I think it's great that she says it -- but I would also (personally) not get too responsive or feed it; and just say something like, "oh yes, I see that you feel so angry. Uh huh." And if she's amenable, try distracting her with something else to see if it was an attention-getting device or if she was deeply, deeply upset. Pretty soon they have fun saying things like, "I hate you, mommy, you suck," just for kicks. It's good to practice the nonchalant, accepting attitude now...
#196 of 270 Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM

i am working on finishing up my final exam for doula certification. it's kinda lame that i haven't finished yet when i did the training back in january and have been to 26 births this year. ugh. it's just so long...and i don't know if i am writing too much or not enough. here on mdc, the scoop is to be thorough vs. brief or it will get sent back to me to re-do. i would love to have this thing knocked out today...just needed a break.

#197 of 270 Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM

FSM, just curious: which face cream? I was a die-hard Afterlife fan until I found something that works even better.
DiD, . It's not too late to come to Gretna

#198 of 270 Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey ladies! We're back from our Texas trip so I just wanted to post a quick hello. Looks like it's going to take a solid week of reading to catch up with y'all!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#199 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Kavita, I know this was a while ago, but I would also say that kids at 2 tend to try on phrases. Has she heard you use similar words before? I think it's great that she says it -- but I would also (personally) not get too responsive or feed it; and just say something like, "oh yes, I see that you feel so angry. Uh huh." And if she's amenable, try distracting her with something else to see if it was an attention-getting device or if she was deeply, deeply upset. Pretty soon they have fun saying things like, "I hate you, mommy, you suck," just for kicks. It's good to practice the nonchalant, accepting attitude now...

I had to search the last couple pages of posts to check, but I'm pretty sure that I haven't said anything that hasn't related to food in the last week or so and that you are mixing me up with MelW. Of course, I am honored to be mistaken for such a fine individual!

Life here: My parents left this morning. My sister and her family didn't end up coming after all, so it was just us and my parents. My dad started feeling yucky on the way here and basically ended up sick with a cold, nothing terribly serious so far but enough to just make us all just hang around the house for the most part except for going out to eat once or twice. Anway, Ella is now sick and I'm not feeling so great either, but overall we're decent--she isn't seriously sick, just really congested and with a goopy eye and a little cough but still fairly perky.

Thanksgiving went pretty well. However, it was seriously grueling--my parents didn't get there when expected, so there was no child-entertaining Wednesday night, and then we ended up going to see them at their hotel and grab a bite to eat with them at about 9:30 pm because they were dying to see Ella but not feeling well enough to come over to our place, so the upshot is that I was out till late, then had a hyped up kid, then ended up finishing two different kinds of pie until an insane hour of night and didn't end up sleeping until about 6 am. Then getting up to cook. So I was really tired and got a little bit of a later start than expected in the morning and sort of had to get right to it and then was sort of doing one thing after another after another and never ended up getting to really sit down. And I was too exhausted and busy to really brine the stupid turkey.

The turkey . . . it didn't go so well. :-( In fact, I think it was the only bad turkey I've ever cooked! First of all, they are not kidding about it being natural and minimally processed. I took out the directions and it seriously took me a while to get it ready for the oven. There were a few black spots under the skin, which I poked and prodded and discovered were actually quills and I think bloody spots, which exuded a gritty brownish sludge when expressed. I spend about half an hour searching for and pulling out some remains of feathers with my Leatherman multitool pliers, not how I expected things to go! I wished I'd had time to brine it if only so I'd have seen this before and not when I was in a rush to get the darn thing into the oven. Then, I followed the directions of all not to cook it too hot--I got it to 168 in the thigh and then let it rest for half an hour, while I got everything else ready and everyone else got ready to eat. Then my mom and I started trying to carve the darn thing and it was seriously not cooked. As in, the breast seemed done but the rest of the turkey was kind of bloody and rare. We ended up cutting the breast off, eating that, and then throwing the rest of the hacked up carcass back in the oven. I took it out sort of randomly about halfway through the meal and abandoned it on top of the stove when I determined that it was no longer raw--I didn't really like the taste of this turkey and everyone was really done eating and I was too tired to care anymore!!!! It is all currently in the fridge, awaiting its fate as doggie snacks! To be fair, the breast did turn out to be acceptable in terms of being relatively juicy and tender--not as tender as a factory raised bird but that's to be expected with a bird that actually has had the chance to run around outdoors, they are more muscular. But it did have a very intense meaty turkey-ish taste that was way more gamey than I am accustomed to, and maybe having a pretty visceral experience with preparing the darn thing didn't help, so I had a couple of bites and that was that. However, there was tons of other food and everyone else liked everything and we had a good time, so that is what counts! Next time I will make sure to brine and marinate and flavor and everything else!!!!
#200 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 03:03 AM

Most of the beads are being sent tomorrow. Let me know when you get them.

Spughy and MamaFern...I need addresses to send yours. check your PM's
#201 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 AM

Kavita - that's a bummer about the turkey. I don't like "real" turkey flavour either. I've no idea why the entire continent persists in eating them, they're really nowhere near as tasty as geese and ducks.

kaspirant - I PM'd you back

FSM - it was fabulous seeing you guys again. Your children really are lovely and it was *wonderful* talking to you. I wish we lived in the same city. I promise I wouldn't feed you too much

I had an extraordinarily productive day - without Rowan, of course. DH took her to his parents while I checked out the flea market and interviewed a bunch of people for an article I'm writing, had coffee and a walk with friends & the dog, then came home and completely organized our bedroom, did all the laundry, cleaned the kitchen, made a pot roast, made bread, steam-cleaned the floors, and made mashed potatoes and fried brussel sprout tops and bacon to go with the pot roast. The house is the tidiest it's been since DH moved in, the laundry is all done (one basket left to be put away), and there is plenty of food made for the next few days. I feel like a decent domestic goddess for once.

#202 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 AM

Kavita: In the words of my idol, Monsieur Simpson: "D'oh!"

Flapjack: Celestial cream. Oh, it's yummy. And with my sensitive skin, it's the only thing I can use without my rosacea getting out of control, making me look all embarrassed all the time.

Spughy: You know, there are lots of nice tech jobs down here, and we are so very nice and crunchy too! Or we can both move to the Vancouver area...
#203 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 AM

Kavita, I remember not liking the taste of wild turkey when I was growing up. And hearing about the dark spots under the skin... ugh... reminded me of pork skin soup my dad made me eat when we visited Ecuador (the dark spots in that skin were from the hairs shaved but still lodged in the follicles).
Gag.

Dh brined our turkey and stuffed the skin with herbs and it was very tasty. Note to self, taste the turkey drippings from a brined bird before making gravy! I didn't and the gravy turned out a bit on the salty side. Which made up for the bland food my mom made.

Our thanksgiving was so-so. Nice to see my brother and his wife and kids but stressful with my self-centered, drama queen of a mom and whipped, doting dad. Gabriel got vapor rub rubbed on his face and into his eyes when my mom left the jar (within reach and not tightly closed) of his two year old cousin who wanted to play "mommy." My mom still hasn't apologized (I wasn't there at the time) and actually believes that when she had kids all she had to do was expect them to leave things alone and we did. hah. This coming from the woman who had a stroke at age 46 with a resulting personality change, and who forgets most of the details of my childhood, glossing it over and pretending like she was the best mother of all time. He's fine now but I am so heartbroken that I wasn't there to comfort him when he was terrified and screaming his poor heart out:

It's four am and I'm still not sleeping and it's going to be a LONG day!:
#204 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 AM

Monique. May the naptime fairy visit you today with synchronised napping, and you and your mum come to a happy place.
Well, my baby girl turns 2 today. Ironically enough, she did an enormous wee right in the middle of our bed yesterday as well, so it was almost like old times I'm revisiting her birth story, and finally having the confidence to believe that it wasn't an intrinsically fast and scary birth, what made it that way was the sheer amount of adrenaline and worry-hormones floating through my system. Story here...
I'm still strongly planning this birth, with at LEAST 20 minutes pushing. My pet vulval varicosity can take that much stress without bursting, yeah?

#205 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
and you and your mum come to a happy place.

<snort>

Quote:
I'm still strongly planning this birth, with at LEAST 20 minutes pushing. My pet vulval varicosity can take that much stress without bursting, yeah?
ouch
#206 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 PM

Happy Birth Day, Skye and Helen!!!!

I hope everyone is resting and recovering from their respective sleepless Thanksgiving weekends.

We had a very sleepless night last night with Neela's cold, which she mostly redeemed by coming and resting her chin on the edge of the bed as I tried to get a few minutes more sleep. "Mummy, I have a question... Can I tell you a secret?" Then whispered the sweetest "I love you" in my ear :heart

I also have a crazy photo that I should post soon of my 146 week belly shot. Neela asked to climb back in my belly and actually managed to stretch my sweater enough to get most of herself in it

Spughy, isn't it amazing how much one can accomplish in a day without a toddler?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#207 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM

happy birthday skye!

Quote:

#208 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Susannah.

FWIW, if it was me that made me mad, my suggestion came out wrong. I'm just feeling conscious, sometimes, of the fact that I tend to wind my kids up by overtalking something.
I have tried and tried and tried to figure out what you are talking about but I have no clue and anyway, it's okay. I'm over what it was about anyway :

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Monday at 12:30 this nightmare will be over.

I hope.
This nightmare will be over and you will have a beautiful wedding
BTW your DDDDC cracks me up!

Oh, and happy birthday Skye/happy birthing day Helen!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#209 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM

happy birthday, skye!!! happy labor day, helen!!!

kavita- sorry that ella is sick. we were sick here the week before thanksveganing but just runny noses and coughing a ton. ez didn't really get it, thankfully. and, i spent way too much time on the TP while laid up in bed resting! it's frustrating when plans go crazy and then we get so tired trying to catch up. i really hate that sort of thing. being vegan means we get to skip any potential turkey fiascoes and that is so less stress for us. maybe by next year i will use all my vegan powers of conviction to brainwash you into not having one, in an effort to help you avoid any potential stress?

uhm, spughy, exactly how much coffee did you drink before doing all of that? that's more than i could get done in a month. way to get after it! maybe you and FSM and I can all move out to bellingham one day; i loved visiting that place. hate that we didn't get to meet up though.

monique- my mil ate dinner with us the other night, homemade pizzas. they were very messy for even the adults. she told me about how she was used to seeing kids eat more neat (than how ez was eating her pizza). dh just wasn't "that messy". he also climbed up on the potty at age 1 all by himself when she was in another room. right. she talks about him like he's so much more of a golden boy since i became a mom...before we had ezra, she already raved about how he did everything "right" and was so advanced. we've seen through it all but it's just so ridiculous at times. used to kids eating neatly, my ass.

i am off to orientation with a HB MW and her other assistants. she caught ez and we hired her for this babe, too. i am really stoked to begin working with her on a regular basis. i got to doula with one of her clients earlier this year. i am not heading for a CPM or anything just want to attend HBs with her. I don't want to do hospital doula stuff while preggo. i finished my ALACE certification exam and e-mailed it off today. woo hoo! kinda silly that it took me so long to even start that exam. just glad it's over now.

#210 of 270 Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM

So, gunter, am I remembering right that you are in North Carolina? Because I'm in Southwest Virginia - maybe we could meet up sometime!

Okay, totally off-topic, but does anyone have any advice about cats peeing in the house? Our cats have NEVER had accidents, until we moved to our current house 6 months ago. I am actually beginning to hate my cats because at least once a week they pee in a clean basket of clothing or on my quilting stuff. I try to keep my quilting stuff closed off in the sewing room, but every once in awhile I leave the door open and they always pee on my stuff! I am beyond angry about this, and DH just doesn't think its that big of a problem - because he doesn't do the laundry! I'm so freaking sick of re-washing clothes. Am I just being cosmically punished for not always putting clothes away immediately after taking them out of the dryer?

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page