high lead levels - what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD's pedi just called - her lead level tests came back kinda high {I'm calling for details ASAP} and they are retesting with a vein draw.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get her levels lower????

She had a few of the recalled toys, and a ton of stuff made in china {which all went in a box in the garage this morning}. Our house was built in 1978, but the paint is new & not flaking anywhere.

ETA: normal is .9 - DD's is 15!!!!!!

Everything china just went out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM

Dr. Sears' site basically focuses on prevention (here's a link). I would get some in home tests (we got some from Ace Hardware) and start testing everything -- my brother found their blinds had lead in them even, so it can be in things you wouldn't suspect.

Or you can try to get a professional kit maybe? I'm not sure honestly, but I'd definitely start looking at as much of the environment in your home (including water) as possible to prevent additional lead from getting into him.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 PM

I'm sure you've read the standard recommendations. Wash hands often, keep floor extra clean and no shoes in the house, wet mop door and window sills to get dirt an dust up regularly etc. This can help quite a bit.

It's good to be aware of lead in toys, but I think you also need to look at the environment in and outside your home, too. I would look into your plumbing and tap water, any antique furniture that you have and carefully inspect all the paint in the house.

If the house was remodelled or re-painted recently (in the last 6 months) and old paint was scraped or disturbed, you could have lead dust in the house from that. She could also be exposed at a friend's house or daycare or even the local park.

Your best defense now, IMO, is careful evaluation of your home and anywhere else she spends time, a good healthy diet and plenty of hand washing. The veinous draw is more accuarte so I'm sure you'll have a clearer picture soon.
#4 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
I'm sure you've read the standard recommendations. Wash hands often, keep floor extra clean and no shoes in the house, wet mop door and window sills to get dirt an dust up regularly etc. This can help quite a bit.

already no shoes in house{ long standing rule}, vaccum 1x day, we'll add in wet moping the doors & windows but is that really needed in a hosue built in 1978? They supposedly tested it for Lead before we could buy it - no lead!

It's good to be aware of lead in toys, but I think you also need to look at the environment in and outside your home, too. I would look into your plumbing and tap water, any antique furniture that you have and carefully inspect all the paint in the house.

How to you check the tap water? We have no antique furniture. All the paint {& drywall behind it} was installed about 3yrs ago prior to us moving in.

If the house was remodelled or re-painted recently (in the last 6 months) and old paint was scraped or disturbed, you could have lead dust in the house from that. She could also be exposed at a friend's house or daycare or even the local park.

No daycare - the only places she goes is dr's, WIC, and shopping. She is NEVER allowed to get down except at home {allergy issues}. No repainting, but we did pull up some carpet {had been installed same time as house painted}

Your best defense now, IMO, is careful evaluation of your home and anywhere else she spends time, a good healthy diet and plenty of hand washing. The veinous draw is more accuarte so I'm sure you'll have a clearer picture soon.
I hope that maybe it was a fase reading - one can hope can't they?
#5 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 PM

I've heard that diet can help draw down high lead levels...I'm sure you can Google something. Basically, you should make sure your child is eating regularly/snacking a lot since an empty stomach absorbes more lead than a full one. Foods rich in calcium, iron, and vitamin c block lead absorbtion so be sure to include plenty of those.

We live in a city with a lot of lead...in the houses, soil, etc...so most children have some level of exposure. Our pediatrician stressed frequent hand-washing and cleaning inside our home with Spic N Span.

HTH!
#6 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Hopefully it was just a false reading. Happened to us, after the vein draw she had a below normal level.
#7 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 01:44 PM

It all sounds good, sandygirl...I also hope that the level from her blood draw is lower. I can totally understand how nervous and upset you must be, I'd be beside myself.

I think that wiping the door and window sills is worth it because you could have dirt coming in from outside. Lead can be in soil, particularly near highways or in industrial areas. So you want to keep as much outdoor dirt out, and it always seeps in and builds up by the windows etc. It can't hurt, anyway.

Lead solder in plumbing wasn't banned until 1986, so I'd call the health dept. to see about having your water tested. Some brass fixtures are also suspect. In the meantime, you could drink bottled or be sure that you're running the cold water for a minute or two to flush the water that's been sitting in the pipe, and never drink or cook with hot water from the tap.

Mini-blinds are also a source of lead...if you have older blinds you can take them down or pull them up for now so she can't touch them.

You're doing everything right, mama, so hang in there. I hope you get more answers and good news ASAP.
#8 of 10 Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM

Oh how scary! How did the retest go?
People gave you some good tips. I'm paranoid because my home was built in 1864. But, so far we're ok.
Do you have an attached garage or wear shoes in the house?
#9 of 10 Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

the retest showed her level to be 17 - we are trying Iron & vit C. to bring them down.

DD's pedi is convinced it's toys causing it.
#10 of 10 Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 AM

Do you grow your own vegetables or fruit? It can be in the soil. Your ped is probably right about the toys though .

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page