Are there warm, natural-fiber jammies for toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now they mostly wear Gap and Carter's long-sleeved jammies. I put a onesie underneath but their little hands and feet (with socks on) always feel chilly in the morning. Their room is usually about 1-2 degrees cooler than our room (the thermostat is in our room, and their room gets more of the prevailing winds) and of course they kick off their blankets when they move around.

I had some of those Carter's fleece blanket sleepers last winter, and I swear every time they wore those, they slept horribly. I got to thinking (influenced by something I read on the nighttime parenting board, I think) that maybe the polyester fleece made them uncomfortable in some way. So I'd like to stick with natural fibers. But is there anything warm enough?

Or, does anyone have this "big kids sleep sack"? http://www.inventiveparent.com/cgi-b...n&key=SLEPHBKS We had the infant sleep sacks and they worked fine - maybe because the fabric wasn't right next to their skin. If you've tried this, how did it work for you?

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM

I've been buying woolen long underwear from http://www.greentaramama.com/woolens.html
I love the rusklovilla, they are much thicker than the engel, and they keep DC warm at night, especially if I add a pair of socks. I need to get some wool socks for them as well. They are expensive, but I have bought one set in each size that we've needed and since we only wear them to bed, they last. I wash them generally every other week, and when the woolens are wet, we generally wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt to bed, but I really enjoy being able to put the natural fibers on my children at night.
I wasn't sure about the wool, so I bought a balaclava hood first to see if it bothered anyone (figuring your neck and face would be the most sensitive). Its amazing how soft the wool is, but there is also a wool/silk blend and just silk available.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Well, honestly, we avoid any sleepwear that's been treated with flame retardent chemicals. So that means no fleece stuff that's designated slepwear. What I've found that helps us is to layer over the PJs more than under. So we have several cotton footie PJs from the CP, and I put some fleece slippers on over them, and a sweatshirt too.

My favorite though are Hanna Andersson's PJs. They're so incredibly well-made, and you can find them on eBay for a lot cheaper than on their site, if you're working with a budget. They don't have feet, but I put on some Target Circo brand socks (which are like kneesocks really) under them and the fleece slippers from Old Navy on over the socks and that helps a lot.

So you might look at incorporating warmer playwear (because fleece playwear isn't treated) over the sleepwear. Or maybe look at some wool? Wool is typically not treated since it's naturally flame restardent.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM

During the colder months ds sleeps in sweats with a short sleeve (cotton) shirt underneath. He won't sleep in socks. He starts off with a blanket on top of him but who knows if it will be there in the morning. His thermostat is set at 67 and his feet seem nice and toasty in the morning

Mama to DS born 11/21/04
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

I called Carter's and they said they do not use any flame retardant chemicals on their sleepwear (or other clothing). Just thought I'd put that out there.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM

We use storchenkinder 'longies' - they are all organic, warm and gorgeously soft. My husband and i fight over who gets to cuddle the girls when they wear them.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinwestpoet View Post
I called Carter's and they said they do not use any flame retardant chemicals on their sleepwear (or other clothing). Just thought I'd put that out there.
There's some controversy as I understand it, about the Carter's company and their official claim about this. They may not add any flame retardent chems to polyester PJs but in the US, all non-snug-fitting children's PJs are required to be made from pre-treated flame retardant fibers above size 12 months. And for the polyester/fleece sleepwear, the fibers themselves have been pre-treated before the garment is made. So I wouldn't trust it unless it's 100% cotton or a wool/cotton blend, and states it has not been treated thus is meant to be worn snug-fitting, in terms of designated sleepwear 12 months and up.

The type of polyester used for these pajamas must, according to regulations, be flame retardant, and it's my understanding that any company which uses polyester (including fleece) material specifically for sleepwear, must use a blend that is made of fibers that are treated. Carter's may very well not add any chemicals to their PJs, but that doesn't mean the type of polyester they're using isn't already treated. (It's like those "free & clear" detergents stating there's no "added" dyes. Yeah, well they already have dyes in them to brighten fabric, so just because they're claiming not to add any more is misleading at best.)

The whole thing is right confusing, and for us the bottom line has been avoid all non-natural, non-snug-fitting sleepwear. Oh, and now they're starting to treat some cotton PJs too (LL Bean is one company now doing this), so be sure to check ahead of time if you're wanting to avoid all chemicals.

So I'm not opposed to polyester playwear but when it comes to sleepwear, we just don't do it if there's a chance it's made of the type of polyester that's treated.

Here's a link that might explain it better: http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/ask/pajamas

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I will look into some of the suggestions you have here. I do have some new fleece slippers on the way from Lands' End, so maybe adding those to what they have now will help. If they keep them on.

I do have to share my dangerous mommy manuever. Lilly refused to wear socks last night to bed. But her feet were cold! So an hour after she went to sleep, Kate woke up and I had to soothe her back to sleep. Once I did, I snuck over to Lilly's crib and put the socks on her without waking her up. I was very proud.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM

We turn our thermostat down low (60F) at night, so our babes sleep in the aformentioned woolies and hanna long johns over top. And socks. I love our Ruskovilla woolies, they are so snuggly and comfy for the kids, and I can mend them when they get holes. Our babes wear them day and night, and the little one will inherit her older brother's woolies when he grows out of them. Totally worth the investment!

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 01-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
. So we have several cotton footie PJs from the CP, and I put some fleece slippers on over them, and a sweatshirt too.
We do the cotton footies from CP too. They are 100% cotton. If it's really cold I put a onesie on under his jammies.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
We do the cotton footies from CP too. They are 100% cotton. If it's really cold I put a onesie on under his jammies.
what is the CP?
thanks!
michelle
Old 01-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentara_mama View Post
what is the CP?
thanks!
michelle
I believe CP stands for Children's Place.

I'll second a pp's suggestion of Hanna Andersson. I even have some of their long johns for myself and they get quite toasty!! In the colder month I just layer under them with a onesie and put on the warmest socks dd2 has. She doesn't seem bothered by her chilly feet or hands but it drives me nuts to know she might be cold.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles View Post
I believe CP stands for Children's Place.
Yep Children's Place

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
There's some controversy as I understand it, about the Carter's company and their official claim about this. They may not add any flame retardent chems to polyester PJs but in the US, all non-snug-fitting children's PJs are required to be made from pre-treated flame retardant fibers above size 12 months. And for the polyester/fleece sleepwear, the fibers themselves have been pre-treated before the garment is made.
I *think* it's size 6 months and up now if I'm not mistaken. And we have a carters store near us and I according to the manager ALL carters pj's are treated unless they have a bright yellow tag which states that the garment is not treated and should be worn snug fitting. So that's basically just your long underwear type pj's - the footed pajamas are all treated.

We stick with Hanna Anderson in this house. They are so well made and last forever. I beginning to think he'll NEVER outgrow them!

: totally blessed mother of 2
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 AM

I needed some one-piece pj's in a hurry and stopped at a Carters. The manager was very clear that the fleece pj's are flame retardant treated.

I vote for Hanna long johns with a nice pair of socks! Soft, organic, and last forever. I buy ones with holiday designs after the holidays so that they are a little cheaper. It is still more than I would like to spend but seems entirely worth it.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 AM

We also have some GreenTaraMama woolens (engels) but need to wash them first. I'm a little behind on this sort of thing - ah so many things to do in a day.

We use a Hanna zipper with a short or long sleeve onesie underneath and some socks underneath. DS kicks off most blankets and socks often come off during the night or early morning (usually when he wakes up for a morning nurse) so I started putting on 'sleeping shoes' at night as well; the HA moccasins.

User Tag List