16 month old potty training?!? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just have to share. Two weeks ago we went to a much older friends house, and dd played with his potty and didn't want to get off of it. She has been very interested in watching me use the bathroom for awhile. I got her a potty, and she showed interest in playing on it, but not taking off her pants. Then, last week she goes into the bathroom and points to the potty. I put the potty seat on and toilet and set her on it. Thinking she was just playing, I said " Oh, good job Rosie, all done?" She shakes her head no. I say, "do you want a book?" She shakes her head yes. Then she poops in the potty! She has been pooping on the potty almost everyday since, and today, she peed on the potty as well. Do I just go with it and buy training pants? She seems so little, she can't even talk yet. She is mature though, and loves to do everything I do.

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 PM

Yes, go with it, follow her lead.
You don't have to get training pants, but I find it easier to have pull-up type diapers for easy ins and outs.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM

wow thats fantastic!! I agree with following her lead.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Congrats on this first big step! My DD did this last year (15 mos, Thanksgiving, at an aunt's house) and you are the first person I "know" that has gone through the same!!!

I will say, um, my DD's not fully potty trained yet, but she hasn't had any real issues with it (never been scared, loves to flush)...
I wouldn't get her training pants until she can pull them on and off by herself (with no help, at all, getting legs in and everything). Until then, diapers are easier for kiddos to take off, and you will have to wipe her bottom anyway... at least that's my experience.

And be prepared for her to get bored with it, possibly a few times. Right now it is new and interesting and she gets positive attn, but she may get tired of it after a few months. We kept lots of books, crayons, and a few small toys near the potty. A few times, DD has gone through spurts where she refuses to sit on her potty, and it gets frustrating. Especially when she looked at me and said, "I'm not pooping" when she clearly was... we had a big setback when we moved, but she is starting to be consistant again.

I actually just incorporated the potty into our routine, and we pretty much have stayed with it. And, of course, we never shame her or even call "accidents" by that word. DH and I just say, "oh, you peed, let's clean up."

And congrats again! It's so exciting!

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 AM

Yep, go with it. There are tiny 2T underware out there, I found ours at target. All three of my kids were in underware right around 2 years old. Ds just turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. He has been wearing undies for about a month. All of them were interested in the potty around 15 or 16 months and we just went with it. We have all hardwood floors, so accidents were easy to clean up. After they got the hand of it, I started letting them wear undies at home (I'm a sahm). Some days were good, some days the diapers came back out(dd1 sposies, dd2 and ds cloth).I've been really happy with it, though it takes extra dicipline when away from the house. You have to know where bathrooms are and be able to get there asap. Ds has been the best at giving me warning. We have had only 2 or 3 public accidents with all three kids. Good Luck!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Yay! How exciting. I'd say definitely follow her lead. DD was showing tons of signs of being ready (going to the corner to poop, asking to get out of the bath when she had to go, telling me before she went, etc.) but once we took the diapers away all he** broke loose! Don't be discouraged if she just decides she is not interested anymore. I think we pushed dd too hard (rather than just letting her take the lead) once she was acting so ready and she got scared. Now we are back in dipes full time and while she will occasionally sit on her potty, she isn't even telling me when she is wet or dirty anymore .

My point... it sounds like you are handling this awsomely (if that is a word!). Just don't get down on yourself if it doesn't work yet. Though it just might and that would be wonderful!

ETA - I had trouble finding panties small enough for dd. The ec store (theecstore.com) has some tiny undies that may fit better than the 2T ones. The 2t Dora panites at Target are much smaller than the 2T Hello Kitty ones FWIW.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 AM

Go with it, my DD started at 17mths and also is not very verbal even now. I know you can get some 18mth gerber undies online, they don't do much for absorbency but if you want something to cover the privates they work well. Basically, we just did gerber undies with a microfiber towel (swaddlebees brand, they are curvy and fit really well in panties) so if we had an accident while we were out she did not leak all over the floor. : also just being naked at home made her much more independent about it since she did not have to worry about pulling her pants up and down. Still at 21 mths she needs help with her pants.:

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 AM

if you have some $$ these are really really nice!
Cotton Trainers
PUL Trainers

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Banned

If she can walk, and knows what the potty is for, go with it. That's not the youngest child I've seen potty-trained.

I know a little gal who was 14 months old, that only said "mama" and "dada", but her parents did sign language with her and she came up with her own sign for "dirty diaper". Her parents transitioned that from meaning "change me" to "I need the potty". She was completely PT'd by her 2nd birthday, when most children's parents are just starting to think about PTing.

As for panties that small? That's a tough one. My little niece was (and still is) TINY. Elfin. Her mom just bought the tiniest panties she could find (a snug fitting 2T) when she was PTing her at 3 years old.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM

My daughter started being interested in the potty around that time as well. We let her wear undies whenever she asked for them. She's 22 mo's now and completely potty trained and wears undies expect naps and overnight. (We'll soon move to undies for naps, since she's waking up dry.)

I agree about the Hello Kitty undies being big at Target. The tinkerbell undies in size 2T are really small, though. They fit her at 18 mo's. Hello Kitty's still too big. Also, the Gerber training pants seem to be fairly small in 2T. And white and plain color is much softer than patterned, and my dd much prefers plain over patterned Gerbers as a result.

FWIW, my dd can't really pull down her pants on her own yet. But she does race to the bathroom and put the potty insert over the toilet. She can't get up on it on her own, so when I hear her fumbling in the toilet I go help.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM

That's awesome!

My 17 month old is interested right now too. He loves to sit on the potty, goes and lays down where we change diapers when he wants changed and has lately even started taking his diaper off after he goes.

My oldest was 26 months when he was completely trained so we're taking the same approach this time.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 PM

That is awsome! That sounds like my dd1 she was completely potty trained by 18 months now if I could get lucky enough to have another child do that LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

That's when my son started too. It was right after we switched to cloth diapers, so I think being able to feel when he was wet got things started. He isn't completely trained, because we haven't tried very hard, but he still goes on the potty about half the time, and it certainly makes things easier.

You might want to go check out the Elimination Communication subforum (under the Diapering forum). They have some links for tiny underwear, training pants, and all that sort of thing. We haven't tried training pants yet, but I think ds is almost ready, so we're going to try soon.

User Tag List