My two year old is contstantly eating paper! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm starting to get worried about DS. He has been eating paper like candy lately (Okay, maybe not candy, because he's never had it, but ykwim). One day last week, he ate an entire half of a birthday card. The next day, I found the booklet insert to his Wiggles CD, with a giant chunk chewed out of the corner. Today, he chew off the corner of a paperback book, about 20 pages in length. In the car, I can't give him board books anymore, because he just eats them the whole time.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal, or if I need to be worried about him having some kind of nutritional deficiency (or worse)? I had posted about this around a year ago, but at the time we just chalked it up to teething. He's older now, and has a lot of other options if it is teething. He's also eating so much of it, and that's what really has me concerned.

:

I'm also going to post about this in H&H, just in case...

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#2 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I just read on another thread that someone's child ate books, and they were iron deficient I believe. Let me try and find it and maybe you can ask her about it!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#3 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 AM

yes, it's called pica and it may or may not be related to a deficiency of iron or something else. have you done an anemia bloodtest recently?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Okay, here is the post http://www.mothering.com/discussions...3&postcount=24

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
#5 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

His blood lead test keeps getting put off for one stupid reason or another. That post just really scared me, and I'm going to make sure that we get it done this week. We live in an old house, where we painted over the lead paint in most of the rooms, but still have two rooms to paint, so there is still lead in our walls (he's not a wall chewer though; I know that for sure).

Ugh, this is just what I want to be worrying about when I have a baby coming any day.

Crunchy wife to my high-school sweetheart, mama to DS (10/23/05) , DS (11/22/07) , DD (3/9/10) , and DS (5/26/12),  and three babies in Heaven.
#6 of 6 Old 11-21-2007, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, reading this made me feel better: http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti...tion/pica.html. I mean, he could definitely still have it, but it's not as scary as I thought. Also, I see that it says that children who have Pica are at risk for lead poisoning because they want to eat paint. What I read in the thread about the anemia/lead poisoning link sounded different to me, like lead poisoning causes the Pica.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah, I'll make sure to get him to his test this week! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page