Food ideas? Please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I am looking for some ideas of foods that my almost 14 month old son will eat. We are very limited in what he will eat as he only eats things with a dry consistency (crackers, rice chex, puffs , bread, etc) I am trying to come up with things he will eat that also has some nutritional value. He won't dip things and resists (quite adamently I must say) most new things we give him. I do not want to become a short-order cook, but since he won't eat anything even the remotely soft/squishy/cold that rules out most of the tings on an adults plate.

He is pretty high needs, and I am not sure if we are dealing with some sensory issues (the main one seems to be food) but any ideas/suggestions would help. I know there are lots of kids who don't really get excited about eating solids until closer to 2 years old, but on top of the difficulty with finding things he will eat, is ignoring comments from others....like my MIL who feels this is because we waited until 6 months to start solids.....:

Thanks for any help!
Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#2 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM

DS is very similar in that he is very particular about what he eats.

One thing that he LOVES thanks to dh are bars of any kind. Nutrigrain, NutriKids, Oatmeal bars, etc. Maybe you can bake up some oatmeal bar cookies, maybe add some protein powder, dried fruits (maybe even diced into small pieces), sunflower or pumpkin seeds, flax, etc. and cut them into finger food sized pieces.

He also likes smoothies, so I can make up some interesting concoctions that give him vital nutrients.
#3 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Spelt sticks with sesame seeds. Whole grain crackers. Have you tired bean dip?

Good luck, my child eats very very little too.
#4 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Maybe veggie chips? Either purchased (like these http://www.terrachips.com/products/index.php) or home made (thin slice veggies, coat with olive oil, bake till crispy). Or fruit leather with flax or other goodies mixed in?

Or "cookies" made with nutrient dense flour, flax, soy, chopped or dried/ground veggies or fruit?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 12:06 AM

my did not start truly eating until around 14 months as well. i didn't stress because he was still an avid nurser. he's almost three and eats really well and diverse now. often they have to see a new food several times before trying. ignore the comments and keep offering new foods.
#6 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 12:31 AM

Frozen things! My dd is 18 months and has been into frozen things for a while. Chopped banana, blueberries and occasionaly frozen mixed veggies. Seems weird but she asks for "cooooooold" almost everyday and sits there eating them with a look of total concentration on her face. I think it's the novelty and it makes her poor teething gums feel better.
Good luck ( and you were right to wait until 6 months, btw! )

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#7 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 AM

sounds a lot like my DD...she just turned 2 and she's eating *much* more than she was even a month ago. She, too, prefers crunchy foods. We do sweet potato fries (sliced thin, tossed with coconut oil and salt and baked til crispy), raw veggies and apples, cheddar and other hard cheese cut into cubes, homemade cookies and crackers made with whole wheat, flax, brewer's yeast, healthy oils or butter, etc.

We've also had luck with homemade popsicles...she won't touch a smoothie, but loves 'banana pops'--yogurt, banana, coconut oil, a little maple syrup. It took a few exposures to even get her to eat those, but now she actually asks for them (rare for her to ask for any food!)
#8 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM

I second the "cookies" - see the Peggy's kitchen section for the pumpkin granola bar recipe and change it around to something that would work for you.

Also, my DD loves the sea veggie dulse - really high in nutrients, soft and easy to chew but dry, so maybe that will work for you. You can serve it straight from the bag or crisp it into chips. DD eats it straight from the bag!
#9 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 AM

Did anyone mention freeze dried veggies? My DD is not a big eater and likes them. They sell them at my health food store under the name "just veggies"
#10 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 02:53 AM

Ds is 20 months and still is very picky about what he eats. How about rice rusks? You can get them with veggie powder in them. A popular brand is Baby Mum Mums. Also, freeze dried fruits and veggies are a hit here, particularly strawberries. Freeze dried corn also. I know that Heinz and Gerber make versions of these and they are preservative free, but also very expensive. If you have a dehydrator, you can make them yourself.

Just FTR, my first was breastfed and introduced to solids at 6 mos as well and ate anything and everything put in front of him. Breastfeeding and solids at 6 mos doesn't do this.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#11 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 02:55 AM

Home made pita chips are another hit here. I just brush both sides of a whole wheat pita or tortilla with a little canola oil and bake at 350 til just crispy. You can sprinkle them with a little cinnamon and brush with a little honey for flavour.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#12 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas, everyone- keep them coming!!

We have tried the freeze dried f/v..currently Caden will only eat the carrots and bananas...periodically he MAY try a different one for a while...like 2 minutes

I know waiting to 6 months didn't do this, but it gets SO OLD trying to explain-I have done so over and over....maybe I'll just try the "smile and nod" method....

Kelly

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
#13 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 PM

My boys won't eat anything from a spoon. Not even ice cream! The only like finger food. Their favorite food is raw tofu dogs. They like the St Yves brand the best. I cut a dog in half, then slice it up into little chunks, so they can eat it with their fingers. They also love "veat", which is a TVP meat substitute.

Amy â Unschooling my twin boys, born April 2006 (12 weeks early at 2 lbs each). Astrology for Parenting -- helping parents attain authentic and respectful relationships with their children and families.
#14 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 PM

My little guy is just really starting to eat now too. He is also picky, nothing mushy, no beans, avocado, banana etc... His fav foods are cheese, cereals, & bread. However he loves hummus He knows what the package looks like & comes running when he sees it So you just never know what he may decide he likes. Just keep trying everything. If he doesn't like it today, he may like it tomorrow.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#15 of 15 Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Baked cheese.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page