Mothering Forum banner

How do you get dc to wear hat/mittens?

587 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  WhaleinGaloshes 
#1 ·
I love to get outside every day, but I am finding it extremely challenging to convince ds that he needs to dress appropriately. He will wear a winter coat, but no hood or hat, no mittens, no snowpants, and no blankets in the jogging stroller. Help! Any suggestions? Do we just need to stay inside all winter?

#2 ·
the hat....... that took forever, and lots of forcing, this year, ds finnaly caught onto wearing a hat, and requests it before we leave. we are still working on mittens

ds wont wear coats etc, i wrap him up in a nice big fleece blanket before going outside, but he also doesnt walk outside, and doesnt wear shoes.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
Everytime I put DS's hat and mittens on I say, "Look at how cute you are with that hat on!" etc. He's such a ham and loves the compliments so he keeps them on.

This worked for us, too. DD wears hats inside the house for the compliments she gets.

#5 ·
DS will usually leave the hat if I let him look at himself in the mirror while we're putting it on. He seems to get a chuckle out of the transformation.

When he was younger, I always used a hat with a secure chin strap and he didn't know how to get it off.

No advice on the mittens - still working on that one, too. He just hates everything about them, but it is so cold and his little fingers get frozen!

I don't give him a choice about the coat or snowpants. We live in Minnesota, and he doesn't know how to take them off, so I win that one!

#7 ·
I let dd pick out her own hats & mittens at the store. We found finger gloves which she prefers over regular mittens. her (and my) hats are always silly looking so she gets lots of compliments from strangers, which makes her like the hat that much more.

#9 ·
My daughter will go outside naked in the middle of winter. I'm happy just to get clothes on her. Hats, mittens, whatever. I hardly even try. I figure if she gets cold she'll wear them (FYI, I live in the SE and it gets cold but not like, subzero, 3 feet of snow).

#11 ·
What's worked for me is making sure that I am wearing a hat and gloves whenever I go out. I'm a hat person by nature, actually, and she's seen me wear one out virtually every day of her life and it's finally paid off now that she's turned two. Getting ready to go out now sounds like: "Mama, mittens?...Louisa mittens! Louisa mittens!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.