Traumatic Swim Lessons - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 34 Old 08-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am very wary of any child swim lesson that promotes increased safety or drownproofing...I remember reading a very interesting articel about drownings increasing in kids after some of these types of lessons...parents more complacent and kids more bold since they have lost fear of water and it's an attractive fun thing. I do it, but I don't think it makes my child more safe.

Teaching Infant and Preschool Aquatics is an australian swim program book, and I liked it much better then the YMCA teacher's instruction book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just a small update-- after 4 lessons my dd can now swim under the water for 6 feet or so, can turn around in the water to swim to a wall or an adult, and loves it! Dh and I took her out swimming at dad's pool on Saturday and as she was swimming towards me under the water she had a huge smile on her face! I wish I had an underwater camera! She insisted on swimming to dh and I until *we* got tired, probably about 30 "laps." She is working on using her arms so she can get her head out of the water and take breaths, which she sometimes does now. She'll get that by the end of summer and then she'll truly be swimming.

She's only 2.5 years old. I definitely don't think the lessons were a waste of time at all! She loves them and she's practically swimming! I'm soooo glad I put her in them! My goal was not to get her to swim fully on her own, but that was just a bonus.
Certainly $50 well spent for 5 classes.

Here's the program we use: www.aqua-tots.com which stresses fun in the water, not fear of it.

My dh is a good swimmer and wanted to teach dd this summer to swim or at least to get started in that direction. Neither of us knew how to go about it though, as it should be taught in stages and the lessons should be appropriate to the age of the child. I was happy with the way the teacher related to dd, even squirt her with a bath toy and gave her a treat after the class. It was obvious that she enjoyed her job and enjoyed kids.

Darshani

PS: We had THREE child drownings in a 24 hour period over the weekend. Adults should have been watching the kids better, but I also feel if those kids had taken the swim lessons that Abi took they might have been able to swim to a wall and climb out, or at least hang on until an adult could rescue them. One of the victim's fathers almost died too, because *he* couldn't swim and was trying to save his son. He's still in the hospital.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#33 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is great news! How exciting and how gratifying for you that your DD is liking the water.

Our mom and tot classes start in a couple of weeks and I'm really hoping that they go well and are fun for DD. She still asks to go to the pool every day, so at least she wasn't completely traumatized by the experience.

And how sad about the children drowning . . .
#34 of 34 Old 08-25-2003, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do swimming lessons for several reasons. they are way fun where we take them. they are free so no money wasted. dd will likely be in class with the same kids for several years. It is great that she is meeting the lifegaurds and enjoys chatting with thtem when we go for open swim. Also she just takes instruction better from other people than she does me. She wil npot so much as show off what she does in a class for me yet will jummp through hoops for a teacher. whatever, if she will do it for someone I am happy.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page