Should we keep reading the same book? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 2 year old (turned 2 in April) has several books on her shelf for bedtime stories. For a month or so, now, she's been wanting one book in particular (it does have several stories in it) about 95% of the time. DH reads to her and is worried about her not choosing the other books. He wants to hide the one book so she'll have to choose one of the others on her shelf. I told him it's fine, she'll eventually tire of the one book. He's sick of reading it, I guess. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-18-2003, 10:34 PM

I can't think of any reason why that would be worrisome. But I relate to getting sick of certain books. Some books I just cannot bear to read out loud. I tell them that when they know how to read they can read whatever they like but as long as I am the one reading I get veto power.

My daughter turned 2 in July, and she has her favorite book too that I just do not enjoy reading out loud. She is pretty good though about just going and getting another one when I say "I don't want to read that one, can you find me another one?"
#3 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 12:25 AM

Oh, I can relate. A Richard Scarry anthology ("The lion book", as per dd, for the picture on the cover) spent time in hiding after the umpteenth consecutive reading.

I think it's just developmental -- think Teletubbies. Again! Again! I think it is a good thing cognitively, just rather trying for us parents.
#4 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 12:31 AM

As sick of it as you must be, repetition is very important for your child. Emotionally, it is reassuring for her, and cognitively, it is teaching her about making predictions and making sense out of the world.

I feel for you, though.... I remember reading my 2-year-old nephew "The Potty Book" about 5 times a night, 7 nights a week, for three very long months
#5 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My niece's favorite books while she stayed with us last fall were "oh Say, Can you Say?" and "Fox in Socks" which are books of tongue twisters by Dr. Seuss. I think she just enjoyed watching me try to get it right every time. I made a rule that I wouldn't read the same book more than once a day.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#6 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 03:18 AM

YES keep (re)reading it! I'm too tired to elaborate, but it's good for her developing literacy skills.

btw: i am sick and tired of "the row row book." aighhhhh
#7 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the fact that Maeve turnt me into a gibbering idiot with "One foot, two foot, red foot, blue foot" had everything to do with her learning to read.

She memorized the thing, associated the sounds with the shapes of the letters, and boom!
#8 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 11:20 AM

It's perfectly normal for a child to want the same book to be read over and over and over again. It's also perfectly normal for a parent to help said book take a little vacation from its usual spot on the shelves to ensure family sanity. In our family, it's the flap books. I have a higher threshold for them than dh does, but every once in a while, they seem to vanish mysteriously for a few weeks.
#9 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 11:41 AM

Repetition is so important for young children's language development - there is a similar thread running about children asking the same question over and over again.

I'd say, continue to read it, then go on to read another book. Ask her to choose two books, and don't make a big deal about it. Also, sometimes just add in another that you choose, and repeat it, so that it becomes familiar. Soon that will become the 'repeated' book to drive you nuts instead!

Dd #2, who just turned one, has a favourite, terrible, Pooh Bear book rhymes she was given for her birthday. (why do Disney books have terrible poetry that doesn't scan???) I must have read it thirty times yesterday. Aagh. : : :
#10 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 01:15 PM

My dd (16.5 months) tends to have serious favorite books, too. Usually, a book retains the exalted status for about 3 days and then returns to high rotation, but not top of the list. To keep from going crazy reading Aurora: A Tale of the Northern Lights fifty times in a row, I came up with this rule: we must alternate books. So, I'll read Aurora, but, then we have to read a different book before we read the favorite again. This seems to work because she can understand the concept of one in between, but still gets her repetition.

Maybe that would help? I still read the same books a million times, but I do get a break.
#11 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for your advice! As a former preschool teacher, I knew repetition was important for development and told DH that. Still, I was wondering if it would be ok to "lose" the book and make dd choose another. Just nice to get opinions from others in the same situation!

~Melissa
#12 of 16 Old 08-19-2003, 10:39 PM

When my youngest sister was a small child, she made me read "The Foot Book", "Fox in Socks" and "The Lorax" so many times that I still have them memorized. :LOL

I tried to hide them. Being a clever little girl she took them out of the library the next time she was there!! When mom saw that and asked where her copies were, she said she had lost them and so mom bought more of them! I hope that hiding the book goes better for you than it did for me! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#13 of 16 Old 08-20-2003, 01:37 AM

Sorry this took so long but I'm moving this to the Toddler Forum.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#14 of 16 Old 08-20-2003, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd has several books that she loves read over and over. Now she has them memorized and sits and "reads" them to herself.....almost word for word! Shes 38mos.
#15 of 16 Old 08-20-2003, 05:35 PM

Forcing my mom to read the same books over and over was how I learned to read. First I memorized the books, so I could look at the pictures and pretend to read. Then, I noticed that the words that started with the same letters had the same beginning sound. Then, I figured out that each letter made a sound, not just the ones at the beginning. Of course I mispronounced a lot at first due to the inconsistencies of the English language, (I thought "ocean" was pronounced "ah-keen" for the longest time), but after a little help from my mom, I was reading at a third grade level by the time I was four.

Of course, then I was bored to tears in the first grade while everyone else was learning to read, but that's another story!
#16 of 16 Old 08-20-2003, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
my advice is from somewhere else, but i can't remember where to give proper credit -- maybe "playful parenting" by lawrence cohen. anyway, the advice is look at your child's face while you read. it's all new and exciting everytime for your little one. it also helps mom and dad's boredom quotient to read it in funny voices.

hth. my dd has many many favorite books which get old for me sometimes, but looking at her face and seeing how much she enjoys it really makes it easier for me.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page