What music does your toddler love? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dd is 26 months and LOVES her new Raffi cds...dh can't stand them, so we only listen when he's at work. I think they are fun...good for dancing, lots of silly lyrics.

-chelsea dust.gif
#32 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 05:37 AM

DS tolerates some of our music, mostly just the slow/calm stuff like John Denver. We also have Jack Johnson's Curious George Soundtrack, many of the Putumayo CDs and lots of kids folk, and DS listens to them and likes them okay as background music. But what he REALLY grooves to and requests constantly is (gulp, I hate to admit this): Bert & Ernie's Greatest Hits.

I guess my kid is just not as "cool" as other kids - LOL! Some of the songs drive me insane, but the lyrics make him laugh. And I admit there are actually quite a few great songs that even I enjoy (i.e. "I don't want to live on the moon" makes me smile every time).

He also really loves a compilation CD called "All About Me (My First Learning Adventure)" and one that my sister burned for us called "Cedarmont Kids Toddler Tunes." There are a couple religious songs on that one, and we aren't particularly religious, but that doesn't mean much to a 2-year-old. He just likes the songs!

Zachary (Jan. 16, 05), Blossom (Sept. 14, 08)
::
#33 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 06:35 AM

When dd1 was a toddler, her FAVORITE band was the Ghetto Monks!!! OMG, she listened to it every day, and fell asleep to it at night. We finally had to stop because some of the lyrics weren't what you'd want your sweet little one to repeat in the grocery store. But she did love them. We have darling video of her rocking out to that cd before she could even stand. She'd sit and rock back and forth.

For actual kid music, I love Tom Hunter ("The Tape of Our Record" is fantastic!) and Red Grammar ("Teaching Peace" and "Hello World" are both incredible!!!!!!!) I swear to you that they are all must haves.
#34 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 AM

At the moment DS is really into Pink, Fergie, Gwen Stefani and Anika Moa. Other than that anything with some drums and guitar! We listen to the radio alot (rather than CD's) so I'm guessing that's why he's so into pop music!

He does love the Gypsy Kings, but that might be because I get up and shake my booty (literally!) with him.

It's complicated.
#35 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 10:08 AM

Ds really like Bob Marley, REM, ABBA, and The Art of Noise. Oh and he loves a good drum solo.
#36 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Great Big Sea is his favourite
#37 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Well, mine listens to what I listen to and I've noticed she likes traditional music and disco. However we do have the They Might Be Giants' Here Come the ABCs and she does like that. Peter, Paul, and Mommy is very cute and pleasant for everyone to listen to, with some very funny lyrics.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#38 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Our fave kid music is Dan Zanes. Hands down.

But my kids also like: Bob Marley, Johnny Cash, Dropkick Murphy's, etc. Pretty much everything we listen to.
#39 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 PM

If you are not opposed to christian music my kids love "Mrs PattyCake"
and any of the wee sing music...."mrs PattyCake" has one song Funny Farm that cracks up ds
#40 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Beatles--and they have some pretty silly lyrics too. DS loves the Beatles and they're diverse enough for silly music, lullabies and driving tunes. He loves Yellow Submarine.
#41 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I love that some of your kiddies are listening to what you do. My dh taught ds some of the words to Tricky from RunDMC.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#42 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM

We love Dan Zanes in our family because he has such a great array of instruments and songs from many diffrent cultures Check out Family Dance

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#43 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 PM

Anything! Except techno. Which is funny, because that's what I made him listen to in the womb, so to speak...

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#44 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 01:59 PM

The Sandra Boynton CDs are big in our house.

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#45 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper75 View Post
The Sandra Boynton CDs are big in our house.
Ooh, her books are cute, I dodn't knwo she had cd's as well. Thanks.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#46 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My almost 3-year old and 20 month old really love Primus, Echo & the Bunnymen, and Coldplay. My 8 year old was a big fan of the Germs when he was a LO.

Michelle
#47 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 03:25 PM

she loves it all: native american, celtic, classical rock, classical, putaymo(spell?) kids cd's are really great. also relaxation type music.
#48 of 51 Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM

vaggie tales and raffi are two favs here as far as kids music. other than that, if it has a beat he loves to groove to it.
#49 of 51 Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
Anything with a lot of drums. She also likes pretty much everything from Jack's Big Music Show. I wish those songs were more easily available. She likes the Sweet Potato song, I'm So Glad, the violin guys (my two year old plays air violin), Duck 4, It's Good To Be Me, Wombo Lombo - if I could have these in the car she'd never get tired of riding.

THANK YOU, it is an honour to be able to present art and music that helps to inspire young minds. I am the artist of the 'Sweet Potato' painting in the Noogin video segment titled Sweet Potato song. My brother is the creator percussionist/composer who performed the piece. His work is filled with much inspiration and we are very pleased with your appreciation of Sweet Potato song. If you like, please inform Nickelodeon if you would like to see more/hear more of this wonderful music and art.

Happy New Year!
#50 of 51 Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 AM

My 2 year old DD seems to like Gwen Stefani. Her favorite song right now is "Sweet Escape." She likes singing the "whoo-whoo" part. I bought the CD just for her and it's the first CD I've bought in probably 10 years.
#51 of 51 Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Probably won't be too much help, but my 2 year olds favorites right now are Ozomatli and Gogol Bordello. Not exactly your average kids music. He likes Jack Johnson and They Might Be Giants, too. Pretty much anything with a beat.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page