thinking about shaving DD's head, opinions please - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2003, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shaving it to change the texture IS an old wives tale, and if you really stopped and thought about it scientifically (hair grows from the inside of our heads OUT) you would agree.

I think the key is good salon--not cutting it yourself. You say you have cut it pretty short in the past with it not helping--that is because you may not know what needs to be done to help it. I know because I have cut my kids hair (and the end result has been not good--kind of weird and frizzy and doe not lay right) and then taken them to the salon to have it cut and it makes a world of difference.

Growing her hair into a chin length bob would be a great start at controlling it--but a good bob needs to be cut by a professional (and trimmed with clipers). A stylist could look at her hair and map out a plan for the next 6 months of growth that could have it totally under control by the new year.

You trimming it all over short will just result in more of the same problem you are having now--and I know you want to get out of this rut. If you have already cut it pretty short, consider taking her to a good salon to have it "cleaned up" (you will be amazed at the results!) and talk with the styllist about the problems you are having.

Hugs,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2003, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I think this is an interesting thread just because my sister's kids all had their heads shaved somewhere in the 12 month to 24 month range. We figured it was some cultural thing that their father did, but I think he just liked it like that. Their little heads were sure cute!
Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

her hair usually gets washed 1-2 times a week as it is right now. On the days that it is washed it is much more manageable, but the next day (or after a good sleep on that hair) it is wayyyyyy more frizzy! By the end of the week it is barely tollerable.

In reality we can't afford a "good salon" cut. We are on a tight budget, we don't even get our hair cut at a good salon. If DH or I are lucky we get to go to the $10 haircut place at the mall.

I haven't done anything yet, still contemplating.

The back of her hair is what bugs me the most, the top is ok for now. I should get a close up picture of the back of her head....the hair just sticks out and is very very coarse.

thanks for all the suggestions though. I knew you mamas would have good insight
Old 08-21-2003, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

ok, well I cut it! I took the scissors to it this morning. I will post pics tonight for you all

I guess maybe I misunderstood what a "pixie" cut was, is it like a short boy cut? b/c that's what she ended up with :LOL

Curly Top~ thanks so much for the reccomendation of using handlotion. I did that today and you wouldn't believe the difference in texture I mean it's softer, much softer and feels moisturized!!!

I used some aquaphor, made by Eucerin. I know this is a heavy duty skin cream (used for diaper rash lol) but it seems to have worked so well. Her hair doesn't look greasy, just shiny and soft!

Ok, well I'll post pics tonight when I get home from work. Hugry kids...gotta go

Rachel
Old 08-21-2003, 04:54 PM

There's a product out there called "cholesterol" something. It works a lot like hand lotion to restore oils. I bought it just for the fun of applying cholesterol to myself.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 08-22-2003, 02:03 PM

Okay, I just looked at the pics you have. No offense, but your dd's hair doesn't look as bad as you described it. There is hair lotion you could use on her hair, instead of hand/body lotion. I would think hand/body lotion would build up quickly and become greasy. Then, you'd be washing it more often. And, that seems counter-productive.

You should have my dd. :LOL Just kidding. You really wouldn't know what to do with her hair! I don't.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

ok, here's some pics I promised of her haircut.

Gracie's first hair cut (real one anyway)

For everyone who says her hair looked great, well thanks. But really it is/was super frizzy. The pics will show better what I'm talking about. Also, the texture is really coarse and thin...ugh!

The haircut turned out cute, kinda boyish but cute anyway

sorry it took so long to get pics up.

tell me what you think? better right? (couldn't be any worse :LOL)
Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 AM

OMG- I have been a little worried about this in all honesty, and when I first opened the link, I thought, ok it's not that bad, then I realized that was the Before picture, when I saw the cut, I thought "Oh, my goodness, she looks so beautiful" Now, I have no vested interest in your child, but I am so glad that you cut it, it looks really beautiful, not that it hurts that you have a beautiful face to work with, but anyway, just wanted to say she looks FABULOUS!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 08-23-2003, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

awwww, thanks!!! I think her face is beautiful too!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:15 PM

Gorgeous!!! You did a great job, Mamma!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:36 PM

I just found this thread, so I missed all of the excitement-- but, she looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!
(ps: I often put lotion on my hair to mitigate the insanity factor. Or pantene works well, too-- I use the kind that's meant to be rinsed out, but I don't rinse it.)

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Old 08-23-2003, 05:43 PM

This thread reads like a thriller if you come to it late (as alsoSarah and I have...) At the beginning I was thinking no no no don't shave it!! Then it went back and forth, what's gonna happen, what's gonna happen, then WHEW!!

Your daughter is just beautiful, rwikene. The picture of her in the blue dress, first pic after haircut, is just lovely. You did a really nice job!
Old 08-23-2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jess7396
when I saw the cut, I thought "Oh, my goodness, she looks so beautiful" Now, I have no vested interest in your child, but I am so glad that you cut it, it looks really beautiful, not that it hurts that you have a beautiful face to work with, but anyway, just wanted to say she looks FABULOUS!

she looks adorable!! good haircutting job!

amy
Old 08-24-2003, 04:20 AM

I have not researched the product for ingredient content on children however I have coarse hair that is curly, straight and wavy, thin strands and thick strands and all over just lots of hair that is impossible to comb or deal with. Anyway Frizz-Ease actually does work most of the time for me. It may be spendy for your budget but with her hair you probably will not need very much. I also only wash once a week. Maybe with some upkeep she will just have good hair days from here on out.

She is adorable and I do not think the cut looks boyish on her at all. I love her short hair, her eyes are a fabulous feature. She looks super cute! The barrette is a great "girly" look!

lula
Old 08-24-2003, 11:18 AM

I think you need the book Curly Girl before she gets much older...
Old 08-24-2003, 02:12 PM

My youngest dd has her hair cut like that.

I think it looks really good on your daughter. Good job! She is so cute.

I think it really accentuates their cute little eyes and facial expressions to have their hair so short.

Lori
Old 08-24-2003, 03:31 PM

She's a little doll! You did a great job cutting her hair. I don't think there is anything boyish about it at all.
Pamela
Old 08-25-2003, 02:06 AM

I read this post late, too, but Gracie's haircut is adorable and I also love the pic in the blue dress! I was rooting for a pixie cut all along but I'm kinda biased as that's how I wear my not curly-not straight hair, too. :LOL
Old 08-26-2003, 05:58 PM

Very nice haircut!

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 08-26-2003, 08:25 PM

OMG, that haircut is sooooo cute. I think it looks perfect! Good job, makes me want to cut DSs hair (he'll be 2 Sunday and we haven't cut it yet, but he has silky blonde hair I hesitate to get rid of).

Kay

Old 11-26-2003, 01:15 PM

Wow, someone just sent me this post because I did shave my daughters hair this August and it does work! I did it to my 20 month old because her hair looked like Hulk Hogan's. Terrible and ugly. Sorry, but it WAS. I did it after my sister in law, who is from Shrielanka (spelled wrong) said that almost all little girls have their heads shaved to promote hair growth. And then I found out they do it in Mexico all of the time. AND Salma Hyaek had it done to her and look at her hair! So I went for it. We trimmed off as much with the sissors as we could, then an elecrtic razor, (then a lollipop) and a Mach 3 Turbo and shaving creme shave. So yes, we got some Oh, she's so cute comments (they felt bad for her) but then her new hair started to grow in, thicker and thicker and thicker. My great friend explained to me that it doesn't actaully make the hair thicker, it stimulates hair folacules that haven't produces hair before, so the more you shave it off, the more hair grows in. Makes sense right? The more we shave our legs, the thicker and darker it comes in! Why wouldn't it work for hair. By the way, Depa, my sister in law, her daughters hair is twice as thick too. So it isn't an old wives tale. It makes sense and it is used around the world. It was worth it to give her an extra chance at some extra hair, and she was only bald for a short time and now her hair looks great. I didn't look at the pictures of you daughter, but I am sure she is a cutie. It is easier to shave when they are little then to cut it short over and over as an adult.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

Old 11-26-2003, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
as I have shaved my heads lots of times
sorry... I just got a mental pic of the "heads" thing- multiple bald heads on one person! :LOL

to add a bit - I personally don't have any experience w/ my own hair but dh and his fam has go similar hair. When my SIL was little she had some unruly hair similar to your dd and my FIL shaved it off and like a pp said it was just more managable and easier to deal w/ having a fresh start. And with that said shes the one w/ the most beautiful hair out of the whole family! I don't know if that has anything to do with it but its so soft and silky now.

I'm one to say shave it! and who cares what society says - theres lots of bald people... and its winter just wear hats or scarves for a few weeks while it grows back.

ok I didn't read the rest after you posted the pics and gave her a cut! turned out cute!!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks

Gracie's hair is much thicker now, just being cut. And less frizzy!!

DH actually loved the pixie cut on her and wants me to cut it short again like that. I too loved it, but would like her to actually have enough hair for pigtails one of these days :LOL so I will refrain from cutting it for awhile.

I love how managable her hair is now though, it grew very fast too!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rwikene

I've talked to a few people who have said that it might be a good idea just to shave her head. It would make the hair stronger and more manageable.
Shaving does not make the hair stronger. Sounds like my daughter. She didn't even have enough hair for a cut until she was 6-7.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:32 PM

I have thick, coarse curly hair that loves to frizz, and while I know you said you don't want to rely on hair products, they really, really help! They don't have to be the expensive kind either. I use just a little bit of shampoo on my hair twice a week; every other day I condition (rinse-out) AND use a leave-in conditioner AND a curl-enhancing creme AND mousse. None of this stuff is expensive, and it leaves my hair frizz-free. Other than adding all that goop to my hair, I do absolutely nothing to it. The less I touch it, the better of it is.

Anyhow, it might be worth a try to play with your 'maintenace' routine.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
Old 11-26-2003, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

now that her hair has been cut (back in August) it is totally different! Her hair is softer, less frizzy and much easier to comb!

I think I did the right thing, I cut it short (think short boy haircut) and wash it less often now. Her hair was super dry so I did put some super moisturizing lotion in it, that helped tons

I don't use products on my hair (out of laziness) so I doubt I would be able to use 2 different kinds of conditioners, mouse, spray, gel, wax or whatever on her hair daily. I love a wash and go style :LOL

thanks for all the suggestions though

User Tag List