Using the potty away from home - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2003, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do the variety of potty training questions ever end?

DD is 22 mo and does fairly well in underwear with both pee and poop, and 1/2 the time when she is in a diaper ask to use the potty. We are taking our time and things are going pretty well. Except she want to have NOTHING to do with either a regular toilet or the fold up potty seat I bought to take with us places. She hasn't even tried either of them; she just loses it when I suggest that she try that. We were at the grocery store one day and she wanted to use the potty and we didn't even make it into the bathroom, she was adamant that she would not sit on the potty seat or the toilet. I hated to say, "that's fine, you can go in your diaper." But I didn't know what else to say... I hated "giving her permission" to go in her diaper, but I didn't want her to think it wasn't okay....

Anyway, I bought some stickers for the folding seat and she enjoyed decorating it, but she'd barely even sit on it fully clothed on the living room floor. I could carry around a small one piece potty we have and she uses, but I really rather not go that route. Does anyone have any suggestions for encouraging her to use the toilet or the potty seat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2003, 10:27 PM

You may have better luck if you take a seat to Grandma's house or some other well liked friend. If the seat is in a non threatening environment, she may be more likely to try it. My dd started using the big potty when she was with Nana at church. She has to fully inspect the facilities, but after they pass, she will now use the grown up potty. She was afraid at first that she might fall in, but now she is getting good at it. I still keep the potty chair around at home because I think she still prefers it, but when we are out and about it is much easier. I really think it happened over night for us. One day she just decided it would be ok to go on foreign potties. You are at the most trying stage of the game right now and the only advice I have for you is to keep doing what you're doing and wait it out. I have yet to meet a school aged child who wears diapers.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 PM

Lately I have been carrying dd's potty with us. Would that work for you?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:49 PM

I bought one of those folding potty seats too, and was also afraid that it might not work, so we used it first on the toilet at home. The first time we were in a public restroom, she sait on it without hestitation and started to pee! But then the automatic flusher went off : , her pee flow stopped and we haven't been back on it in a public restroom , but she'll sit on it at home...

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:05 AM

Don't you HATE those automatic flushers?? They always go off on me while I'm in the middle of using the toilet and it scares the heck out of me. And I'm 35! I can imagine how it would affect a two-year-old.
I can also totally see how they would not want to use a strange toilet, sometimes they are really dirty or just look strange or look like they could fall off the wall while you're on it. So, no great tips here as we are not yet potty training anyway, except I do have a trick to stop the automatic flusher. If you have a post-it in your bag, tape it over the little light-beam thingy. If you don't have a post-it, you can usually take some toilet paper and tuck it into the top of the metal plate around the light thingy so it hangs over. HTH.
Jen
Old 08-22-2003, 11:28 AM

can you just keep a spare potty in the car? it seems silly but if it works for now.........
Old 08-22-2003, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have been carrying around her potty, but it means a whole additional bag. We walk everywhere, and we were caryying too much stuff as it was!

It was amusing, though, the other day she annouced she had to go, so we set up the potty there on the sidewalk and she did her thing!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:34 PM

This is what we have and it is great!!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:35 PM

This is what we have and it is great!!

http://pottytrainingsolutions.com/travelpotty.html

User Tag List