Happy New Year, November 05 moms! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helen, glad to hear that your spirits are up today! I checked Fern's blog and as of yesterday, no baby. I am getting so excited for the new wee ones!!! And it will be really exciting to hear about the new pregnancies as they happen too.

Brynn had her first dental check-up today and it went really well. She's cavity free and "perfect" (of course!) and the dentist and dental tech were really great. I'm glad that her first experience of going to the dentist was a positive one and I feel like a good Mama for flossing and brushing her teeth every day. Yay me!

Oh and in other good news, Brynn slept through the night *again* last night, this time til SIX O'CLOCK! She had bananas and peanut-butter bread again before bed...soo.....I'm just sayin'. I think going to bed on a really really full tummy is doing the trick. Of course I don't want to jinx myself so I probalby shouldn't have said that!

That's it for now. I'm off to write a blog entry (which kept me awake from 3:00am to 4:30 this morning!) while she's asleep.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 PM

amy- i am so glad t hear about brynn's awesome sleeping these nights! so happy for you to get the rest you deserve! i gotta catch up on your blog. i have not had time to browse the blog world recently!

church was a hit for us on sunday! thanks for the support and understanding, mamas.

i am feeling way preggo these days. tossing and turning through the nights. buxton's head is putting the pressure on me, for sure. we've had such good walks recently with some unseasonably warm weather here in nc. ez just said, "mama, i want buxie. can i hold him?" then lifted up my shirt. i am melting in love. she's convinced this babe is a boy.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:03 AM

okay, just as soon as I was caught up on posts I fell behind again!!! I just can't keep up!

I've been dealing with some seriously low blood pressure lately (like 104/52 by last check). And an irritable uterus (way too many BH and rock hard uterus when I'm active - which could be just getting out of bed to get the kids a snack). And some other really weird symptoms... Luckily I've got a new train table and play kitchen area for the kids so they seem to be happily occupied while I pass out (not literally) in bed. I am wondering what this means in terms of gestational length.

It's a beautiful night out (almost in the 60's) so we went on a family walk around the neighborhood. We came home to fresh baked oatmeal bread, freshly ground peanut butter and fresh cherrry jam (yeah, I'm blogging so I'm taking pictures of EVERYTHING!). Simple and delicious dinner! There's NOTHING like made-from-scratch PB&J.

oh, and here's my latest bump pic
Old 01-09-2008, 03:45 AM

Wanted to let everyone know that in this month's Pregnancy magazine, you'll see our own Amy eloquently speaking about how a doula is helpful in birth. Last two paragraphs (if you didn't know it already, the most important part of an article, just like the back page of a magazine is crucial). She gives the "kicker."

Just sayin'!

FSM
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 AM

Monique, it's a third pregnancy. What do you expect, honestly?

Gunter :

Amy, what's Brynn's favourite colour?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama View Post
Wanted to let everyone know that in this month's Pregnancy magazine, you'll see our own Amy eloquently speaking about how a doula is helpful in birth. Last two paragraphs (if you didn't know it already, the most important part of an article, just like the back page of a magazine is crucial). She gives the "kicker."
Shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, I can't wait to read it!!!

Helen, I am not really sure. I've never thought about it, but she hasn't begun to show a preference as yet. Why?

Monique, your snack sounds heavenly! And your bump is beautiful. I hope your health issues resolve and you start to feel better.

Gunter, glad that church went well last weekend. Did I miss your posts about your previous church, or was that in another thread?

Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 PM

I promised her cashmere socks when she slept through the night, remember?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I promised her cashmere socks when she slept through the night, remember?
Hee hee. OK. How 'bout multi-color stripes?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Monique, it's a third pregnancy. What do you expect, honestly?
I don't know what I expected but it's been so weird this time around. This pg has been nothing like the other two. Nothing. I feel like I've been sick the whole time, have had really weird discharge issues that are freaking me out, and now feel like I should be really careful. Sometimes the BH even hurt, which isn't supposed to be a good sign. I'm just taking it as a sign that I need to knit more. And relax. While I still have the opportunity, meaning before the night diaper changes and feedings take over.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
I don't know what I expected but it's been so weird this time around. This pg has been nothing like the other two. Nothing. I feel like I've been sick the whole time, have had really weird discharge issues that are freaking me out, and now feel like I should be really careful. Sometimes the BH even hurt, which isn't supposed to be a good sign. I'm just taking it as a sign that I need to knit more. And relax. While I still have the opportunity, meaning before the night diaper changes and feedings take over.
I am riht there with you with this being SUCH a different pregnancy. Compared to this babe, ezra never moved in the womb. This one is a hurricane and it can be painful. Today, I have felt like I needed to pee 100 times and had lots of pressure down there since 5:15am when I could no longer sleep. Ugh. You are not alone.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM

:Gunter... you make me feel so loved
Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 PM

gunter and willemsmama, hang in there!
wm, you look BEAUTIFUL in your bump pictures!
and gunter, i'm so thrilled church was a good experience on sunday. do you think it's the final match for your family for now, or will you keep looking?
...how many weeks are each of you at?

amy, yay on sleep! i hope tonight is another good one.

fsm (and amy), can't WAIT to see the article!!! congrats!!!

helen and fern, hope you ladies are feeling well and resting up.

finley got my little bug yesterday, but we are both on the mend and almost ourselves today. even did some baking, which is always fun and uplifting.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 AM

Happy Due Date, Fern (did I get my dates right?) There's a parcel of niggling contractions on their way to you by post, I don't want them any more
Monique, big loves You too, Gunter.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:36 PM

hey mamas,

i am just starting my 33rd week o' pregnancy today. I am thinner but my belly is bigger with this one than ezra. And, it moves like a hurricane so much unlike gentle ezra. She is excited to meet this babe and that part of my pregnancy has been probably the best part! She hugs and kisses my tummy and even says, "I love you, Buxie!" w/o prompting. She talks about details of the babe being born, too. I feel so safe knowing she wants to be a part of this birth with me. Yeah, I know that she's only 2, but I am confident in her ability to get what it means. She went to a couple of births with me from pushing stage to placenta in Bali, rubbed lots of backs in labor and demonstrated a secure latch to plenty of new moms! I think this really prepared her. I miss being around birth, like that, BTW.

I signed up for the PP Doula training here next month. I am reading up on a few books for it now. I have my ALACE labor assistant cert and this will be through DONA. Anyone else do that? Wondering if their philosophies are super different?

FSM and Amy- Can you send me an autographed copy? j/k but i will pick one up the next time i am in the book store. i am guessing they are already on the shelves?

The church was kid-friendly, had re-usable coffee mugs and a tea compost container, we met a man whose daughter was born at home, and I like the message and songs and prayers. It's episcopal which is a little more formal and liturgical that we are used to but we weren't uncomfortable by that or anything. One of our fave things is that women are elders, which was a huge issue in our other church (that we had been going to for 4 years and trying to change). Barcelona- Yeah, it is a good fit so far and we'll head back this sunday. There is a newcomer's dinner on Sun night but being vegan, we're hesitant to assume there will be much for us to eat. Do you all think it would be okay to call the hosts and ask about that?

I am so stoked that Brynn is having good nights of sleep!

Monique- You look like a beautiful preggo woman! I need to take more preggo pics of myself. I have very few this pregnancy but took one every week with ez. I love Pb&J these days, too! Before I am even out of bed in the morns, I always hope we have fresh bread.

helen- hope that you are ripening up and won't be waiting until 42 weeks to have this one!

fern- I am reading your blog and awaiting the birth story of your little girl. Do you think she will be as big as ngaio was at birth? which, btw, was twice the size of ezra. i am hoping and kinda already think that this babe will be bigger than 5 lbs. It feels like it already is!

amy- what are your tips for brushing toddler teeth? ez used to enjoy it, do it herself and then let us "help" (aka actually brush them well) but now she cries and screams! What time of day do you do it? Maybe if we didn't wait until after her bath she'd be less tired but then i worry about getting everything clean overnight.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Happy Due Date, Fern (did I get my dates right?) There's a parcel of niggling contractions on their way to you by post, I don't want them any more
Monique, big loves You too, Gunter.
tomorow (jan11th), but close! thanks helen.. nothing so far, but im crossing my fingers!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
FSM and Amy- Can you send me an autographed copy? j/k but i will pick one up the next time i am in the book store. i am guessing they are already on the shelves?
Jason checked Borders yesterday and they still had the January issue on the shelf. The Feb issue will probably be out next week, I'd imagine. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
amy- what are your tips for brushing toddler teeth?
Well, she's usually not super-thrilled about it, but it's something that Jason is completely obsessive about (he has perfect beautiful cavity-free teeth), so I pretty much let him take care of it. And he flosses her every night too! She's actually more tolerant of flossing than brushing. Anyway, what we do is have Jason (or me) lay on the floor, and she brushes our teeth, and then she lays down on one of our laps while the other brushes hers. This way, we can see what we're doing, and it keeps her from turning her head or wiggling away. It works pretty well. Also letting her choose her toothbrush and toothpaste helped *a lot*. That's pretty much it! I also brush her teeth once during the day, usually after lunch, but not as thoroughly as we do at night. I just do it right after I brush mine, and she's much more agreeable during the day.

Congrats on making it to big week 33, by the way! You're getting close!

barcelona, hope your tummy is feeling better!!

Oh, Jen, I went to see this exhibit today and thought of you. I think you would have enjoyed it!

Fern, I am getting so excited for you!! Happy due date tomorrow, Mama!! Maybe we'll get to say happy birthday by tomorrow night?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM

okay.. i know i'm not really very involved here these days.. but i can comment on teeth brushing.
Ngaio loves it..she asks to brush her teeth like 6 times a day. i think its because she loves eating the toothpaste. i get the children's weleda toothpaste.. its yummy and okay to ingest. she opens her mouth and lets me really brush most of the time now but she didn't for a long time and i didn't push it with her. i found that if we all brushed teeth as a family she got really into it, and started asking for us to brush them like we do with elwynn. he brushes a while by himself then we do a "check" for "sugar bugs"...
elwynn hated the idea of bugs in his mouth, whic is how i convinced him to let me start brushing his teeth...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM

FSM (and Amy)~ Congrats on the article!

I can't believe how close all of these babies are getting! Sooo exciting!

Gunter, I'm glad the church seems like a fit. I think you should definitely call and ask about vegan-friendliness.

I just looked out the window, and it's monsooning outside. Our car is leaking water inside, and we're waiting for the seal parts to arrive next week to get it fixed. Of course the forecast was for dry weather, so we took the tarp off to run errands this morning, and DH was going to put it back on this evening after picking Neela up from daycare. Sigh. The wet weather and west coast mould is really bad this winter. We just bought a dehumidifier to see if we can improve our air quality in the house and get my DH's asthma/allergies under better control. I've even been bleaching the windowsills every couple of weeks, but the mildew grows back. It's so disgusting I can't even think about it :

On a more positive note, Tuesday afternoon we had a date and rented a hot tub for an hour. A local hot tub/spa company has hot tubs in individual rooms with open ceilings that they rent out. It was really relaxing and a terrific date idea!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 PM

Mel, that sounds so nice! What a fun date idea.

I just posted a new blog entry that I would really like to share with y'all. It's been brewing for weeks. Please feel free to leave a comment if you are so moved!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

I commented on your blog Amy!

Rowan got her brand new big-girl bed yesterday and, for the first time since she was teensy tiny, all 3 of us slept in the same room (4 if you count the cat, but she barfed in DH's closet sometime last night and he stepped in it this morning so I don't think that's going to continue.) DH tried to get Rowan to go back to sleep when she woke up in *her* bed without crawling over to him (the beds are all pushed together) but that didn't go over so well... we're going to start really working on that though. I think it'll be my turn for that tonight.

It's pouring with rain and we have to take the dog out for a walk as soon as Rowan's woken up and had lunch, which is really late because she was too tired to eat by the time we got home today after playing at a friend's house. Mostly my fault - we were having a really fun discussion about how to solve all the city's problems, which mostly came down to free psychological help, nutrition counseling and more social work funding for those who need it. Like *that* is going to happen... we just end up with people complaining more about the homeless and the police department getting more money to hire more officers to harass them. Sigh.

Not much new here... life putters on. Fern, I hope your wee baby pops out soon, Helen, Gunter and Monique I hope yours stay put until they're cooked.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Tomorrow is 37 weeks by latest possible dates, and the labour ramped up a gear today I can't get the endorphins to kick in, either, and I can't break the ctx: they're strong enough now that it could be early labour, but not progressing.

I'm doing this. I think I'm actually doing Fern's labour, but still... I can keep doing this all the way up to 16th February, if I need to. But please, don't make me need to : Not 42....

Mel, we think that the central heating probably played as significant a part as the singulair in controlling Isaac's asthma. He hasn't had a significant attack in over a year, hasn't dropped below the magic 60% hospitalisation number since September and has only used his blue inhaler 20 times, if that. He's like a different boy...just worth considering, maybe?

Amy, I read your blog and I'm thinking.

Spughy, many sleepy vibes

Fern : Happy EDD, or happy birthing day, or possibly even both?

Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 PM

hey mel, do you all have carpets? since we moved into the solar house last year where there are no carpets, we totally breathe easier. it's probably a combination of things in this house. But DH is convinced that not having carpet helps.

helen-here's some strong contraction vibes sent your way...from me, the previous 37 weeker!

fern- and, some labor action for you, too!

more later...gotta go read "dance" book to ez.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM

helen, i would SO take those pains if i could.. im having no sign of baby coming today.. *sigh* but on a good note im getting lots of stuff knit

thanks for all of the love and well wishes and labor vibes mamas..

Quote:

Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Helen, hoping it sooner rather than later for you. PS: That's really nice of you to do Fern's labor for her!

Fern, happy due date. (No pressure!)

Kavita, how's it been going with the gym? We're still totally on the fence about whether we should joing the YMCA, what with Brynn's monumental separation anxiety. I just don't know if it would be worth all of the work that it would take to get her adjusted to the nursery.

Spughy, good luck with the bed transition! We're still doing really well over here, so everybody keep crossing your fingers or knocking wood or whatever.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Tough day, but I did it.

Fern Sending you a few more gentle birthing vibes, just in case.

OK, let's get really in-depth, deep and personal here. How DO you explain the difference between:
1) A unicorn and a monkey?
2) A duck, a penguin, and a cuckoo???? Feathers McGraw was jumping up and down like a loon shouting cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo in our house this afternoon. It's cute, but it's frustrating. A penguin is not a duck. A penguin is a penguin, and does not go cuckoo.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Helen, the difference between a unicorn and a monkey is that unicorns evolved from zebras, but monkeys evolved from australopithecines. Also, monkeys eat fruit, but unicorns prefer virgins. (...and somewhere, a psychologist hears a $cha-ching$ sound of Rowan, 15 years from now...)

There are no substantial differences between ducks, penguins and cuckoos btw. They've all got feathers, beaks and wings. Duh.

Fern, I'll be thinking "happy birthing" thoughts in your direction. BTW how long are you going to be in Van for? We're coming over some time in Feb, I'd love to meet your new bean!

I purged my pantry today, and once I've got everything off to the recycling centre/bottle depot tomorrow I will feel clean and uplifted. Then I will remember that I have to also purge every cupboard in my kitchen, our clothing closets, that storage space behind the closet, and the crap in the attic. But I will do it! I will take our place from overcluttered dump to serene, sparse, and tidy.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
But I will do it! I will take our place from overcluttered dump to serene, sparse, and tidy.
I would be a minimalist if I had more space

I only wish that we weren't renters and I would absolutely tear up the carpet and install better windows and improve the whole freaking house. But we're living in a ground floor poorly insulated student housing apartment in wet, mildewy Oregon winter weather. At least it isn't shag carpet. At this point it's damage control until the drier weather- the dehumidifier has taken a couple liters of water out of the air in only 24 hours, the hepa filter is running and I'm back to a strict regimen of frequent vacuuming with our super-duper hepa-filter vacuum and bleaching any mildew as soon as it appears. And my DH is back on singulair after not needing it for a couple of years. We'll be moving in the summer, so it's only a few more months.

We just had our most successful literary event with Neela since she was about five weeks old. Usually either DH or I end up taking her out for a break after a few minutes, since sitting quietly is pretty hard when you're two. But DH had a reading tonight and she sat in her chair and drew and did a puzzle through the entire thing, with very few interruptions and interjections. I'm impressed!

We also had a funny day of miss bossy telling us to be different people. I spent much of today as either Marcie, or "a boy named Chuck". Neela was queen of the bare bums, a princess, Marcie, and Fiona, among others.

Helen, wishing you either hard labour or no-labour, whichever you would prefer. But no more contractions until the real thing. And Fern, lots of baby labour vibes headed your way, too!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 01-12-2008, 06:33 AM

I know what went wrong, I sent Fern's contractions to the cosy cabin in the wood, and the postal services returned them to sender NOT doing that one again...StrawberryFields is nearly as fed up as me, she can have them instead.

Mel, that's tough. Is there any chance of the university moving you?

Spughy, tidying the house while the kids are still growing is like sweeping the snow while it's still growing. Cleaning, yes, but tidying? Nah.... saying that, it did feel good tidying up around here with the building work and decluttering so much. We're doing our bedroom today : that's going to be bad.

Oh, and you made me laugh. Unicorns- the antithesis of the promise keepers movement. And a penguin clock. I think this is probably because she finally saw someone else with one of those cuddly toy backpack things, and his was a monkey...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Amy, I read your blog post. I have someone like that in my life. She's about 10wks behind me with her first and honestly, totally clueless. She'd asked me some superficial pregnancy questions and after talking to her for a bit I told her that pregnancy can do some really weird things and if she ever wanted to talk I was there for her... she just sort of looked at me and didn't really respond. I don't know why I said it but I sort of shrugged and said that I wouldn't try to convince her to have a homebirth or anything. Everyone has to do it their own way and this is mine. She hasn't really spoken to me since and it's a bit frustrating. I wish I had known someone like me when I was pregnant, especially the first time. I didn't know about mdc until I was pg with Gabriel. I felt like such a freak trying to figure out how to nurse in public when I was still in school, boobs popping out, leaking, baby screaming and sweating because he was covered with a blanket and was too hot. It was hell. And I would have given anything to have had someone, anyone, who was just there to help. I didn't even know about LLL until Willem was about 4 months old.
So back to this woman who is pregnant and clueless. I categorize your neighbor as having the same type "we'll see when we get there" sort of nonchalant attitude about things I feel very strongly about. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's going to be easy. This pregnant woman I know? She's the director of an organization that helps teen moms, supporting them with mentors and necessities (clothing, rides, etc) so they can get through high school. She thinks she is going to have the baby and then take the baby to the office with her a couple weeks after birth. And she thinks she is going to be able to do everything she was able to do before she had a baby just fine with baby in tow. Probably a common mistake for most first time moms. I just want her to be prepared because even with all my preparation before Willem came, I still wasn't. It would have really helped if I had had someone there, even to just talk to and convince me that what I was experiencing was completely normal. It's not so much that I want to be that person for this woman, or that I want her to look up to me in any way. I just want to help because I know it's what she needs. It's what every woman needs in one respect or another.
And I know how you feel... you want to go over and offer to help but for some reason it seems like your help wouldn't be appreciated or even welcome. We isolate ourselves and we don't even know what community is anymore. It's sad.

Mel - I completely sympathize with the renter's remorse. It's not possible for us to own our own home yet and it's incredibly frustrating to deal with the health hazards of this crappy duplex!

Fern - love the kimono! May your baby come soon! It's hard to believe you are already full term, it seems like just a few weeks ago you announced your pregnancy!

Helen- !!!!!

Spughy - you have me in stitches.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 AM

WHat? What did I do??? Am I back on the naughty step AGAIN?

I like the baby kimono pattern (pic on Fern's blog) too, but I can't decide between that kimono or the baby yoda for this one. It's going to be emerald green cotton, fwiw, because that's what I have left in the stash that needs using up- but I did a yoda for nausicaamom in natural dark brown wool that's absolutely breathtaking and I didn't want to post it Any opinions?

Hey, Fern's gone awfully quiet, hasn't she? So has Amanda, come to think of it- I haven't seen her online all weekend... that's the best bit of having a DDC where everyone is due a month apart, give or take, it makes it easier to get excited...

I've been thinking a lot about your post, Amy, and a lot of it sounds like what we're trying to do with the NCT and breastmates- to get people in to share those wonderful, horrible, first years of parenthood together and to support each other as realisation hits and over the hard times. The problem is, of course, that some people are so reinforced in the idea of a nuclear family or whatever their other big issue is that they just can't accept the help that's available- and when that happens, you just have to let it go for the sake of your own sanity. I think there is a huge benefit in having organised, public and accessible groups for those in the front-line trenches of motherhood and pregnancy so that everyone who wants the whole "artificial village" experience can have it, and often, real, solid friendships develop out of it, and if there isn't one in your area, then you (and Kavita) need to start it. The biggest thing that can make or break a group is a single charismatic organiser.

User Tag List