Happy New Year, November 05 moms! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dearest son decided at 4 am he was ready for his day to begin and I lost the coin toss of who gets to stay in bed.

and they are selfishly all about me.

WICKED was amazing.

We got stranded by a huge snowstorm (we got over 2 feet of snow and the wonderful snow plow guys couldn't get our road cleared for some odd reason) away from home for 2 days wearing the same clothes ICK.

Finally got home again after it took us 2.5 hours to get to our house from down the block

Had a miniscule pregnant brain break down last night in which I told DH I didn't want to have a baby (which isn't true and I this girl already...I'm afraid the PPD may be hitting me prior to post pardum.

Saw the OB, failed my GD test, now they want me to do the 3 hour GTT.

Leah is head down and ready to go.

I'm more pregnant than I've ever been...Jacob was born at 34 weeks, a milestone I hit yesterday.

I have 2 weeks of work left and I will jump off the career change cliff of being a SAHM instead of a working one.

Nursing is KILLING me right now. With the move and Jacob being sick I feel like he lives attached to my nipples. My pregnant body is rebelling against it. Asking DH to help seems to make it worse and is seemingly driving a rift between Jacob and DH...I'm feeling like I'll never succeed at tandeming if I can't even figure out how to nurse my 2 yo while pregnant.
#242 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
Nursing is KILLING me right now. With the move and Jacob being sick I feel like he lives attached to my nipples. My pregnant body is rebelling against it. Asking DH to help seems to make it worse and is seemingly driving a rift between Jacob and DH...I'm feeling like I'll never succeed at tandeming if I can't even figure out how to nurse my 2 yo while pregnant.
I promise you, tandem nursing is easier than nursing through a pregnancy! (I speak from experience, I've been tandeming for over two years now.) It'll be sooo, soooo much easier once the baby is there and your body goes back into making-milk-mode rather than growing-baby-mode.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#243 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Gunter, yuck! Dog messes are the worst, especially the multi-substance, multi-location messes!

Fern, !!!! What a beautiful story. And what a beautiful girl! She reminds me of Ngaio's itty-bitty baby pictures. I'm waiting on pins and needles to hear her name--your names are so enchanting.

StrawberryFields, ! The pictures with her and Andrew are sooo sweet!

Monique, Gabriel's assessment is too funny!

DiD, holy cow!

Helen, I'm so glad the meeting went well. Downstream is a good way to go...

As for me, I'm a bit under the weather. I picked up Woody's cold yesterday, and between that and my typical end-of-the-week exhaustion, I didn't feel up for the Indigo Girls show last night that I've been looking forward to for months. I gave my ticket to dh to go in my stead, which was sad because he got the ticket for me for Christmas, but he said it was a great show, and said hello to all my friends for me, and I needed the rest desperately, but still...
#244 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Aww, Teresa, you passed up an Indigo Girls concert?!?!?! Wow you must have been tired! I hope you're feeling better now.

FERN!!!! Congratulations! That's so wonderful, I'm so glad everything went well and your new little girl is just gorgeous. You must be over the moon, the rest of your family too. Is Ngaio enjoying being a big sister?

StrawberryFields, congrats to you too!

Mel, Rowan is, like, the mellowest kid... we don't get any observable full-moon weirdness here. Maybe the cat, but not the child. My friends often comment that they've never seen her upset (or excited for that matter) - and these are mamas that we see several times a week, every week! But she did have a little freak-out the other day when I was trying to cover a Literacy Day at a local school for the community paper, which the editor suggested I cover because it was aimed at kids ages 2-5 so I could take Rowan along. Rowan didn't want to sit and listen to a local news anchor read a story (although she was very good) and had a meltdown when I was trying to interview the school principal. Fun! Then I found out later that the book she chose from the "take a book" table is one that the ILs already had. I did wonder how she was able to read the title so well...

Kaspirant, if you're feeling stressed, why don't you skip the 3-hour test and just adhere to the diet that assumes you have GD, which is not so bad? No sugar, no refined carbohydrates, minimal starch, eat protein or fat with fruit, limit bananas, no dried fruit, lots of protein, lots of fat. It's a good recipe for end-of-pregnancy and it's what they'd have you do anyway. The bonus is that it'll stabilize your moods as much as possible, and there would be no point to a nasty 3-hour test. Just a thought.

Gunter - ugh on the dog mess. I know the pet messes, although my dog's never peed anywhere, but the barfing... she usually manages to do it somewhere really gross, like our bed. It sounds like your pup isn't feeling good though, for that to happen... maybe get her checked out? Poor puppy. Poor you!

Monique - That's so funny. You must have been pissed AND laughing at the same time.

DiD - Congratulations, I think! I don't think I could ever deal with 5 kids but you're young and resilient Enjoy the preggo AGAIN!!!

It is a lovely but cold day here, I think we will try to go for a family hike since the last one was so much fun. Although there is snow in the forecast (yikes!) so maybe that wouldn't be so smart... and there are far more clouds now than half an hour ago...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#245 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 PM

Gunter - I'm glad I'm not the only one who has cake/pie for breakfast on occaision. DH used to get pissed at me for doing it because he thought it was soooo unhealthy. Eh. Life is too short to take that seriously
ugh on the dog mess. That is exactly why we don't currently have any pets.

Honeytree - awww. you missed Indigo Girls??? I hope you were able to rest up. Still... INDIGO GIRLS????

Kaspirant - I'm with you on the pg induced disjointedness. I don't know where my mind has been lately...

Um, so I took the libery of a thrift store run this morning. Got lost trying to find the place from the opposite direction( I soooo know the way by heart, I just realized miles down the highway that I'd missed my exit!). Didn't score any much needed larger maternity clothes. All the stuff was old 90's looking wear. Yuck. I really need pants that won't keep falling down and shirts that keep my lower belly covered (and warm). No such luck. I even went to Target last night to see what was on the clearance rack, AND returned and got credit for a few presents the boys got for Christmas but we don't need/they weren't interested in. Everything there was atrocious. And the stuff on the clearance rack started at like $12 apiece.
I did score the cutest pair of Elefantan shoes for Gabriel. I guess they are more slippers than shoes. They are navy boiled wool with red wool elephants on the front. Seriously cute. For a buck ninety five! That's almost as good as the preschoolians I got a few weeks ago for $1.25. I'm such a thrift store dork! I also found a new pair of jeans for dh - he's THE hardest person to find jeans, or any pants for because he wears a 31 x 32.
Does anyone ever buy anything at thrift stores just because they know they can sell it and make money on it? I've done that a couple times. Once I got a suede J.Jill skirt in a $5 bag sale (so I actually got it for less than a buck) and sold it on ebay for $42.
Today I got a fair isle hanna andersson hoodie. For $4. And it's NWOT. It's cute enough to keep. It totally won't fit me until next winter though. I'm not a fair isle person per se but the bright colors are me. Then again I might put it up on ebay to fluff my paypal account. I haven't decided yet.
Anyway.
#246 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Ooo! I'd buy the Hanna Andersen hoodie!!!! I can paypal you If you decide to sell it, that is. What size is it?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#247 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
Still... INDIGO GIRLS????
I know! I am caught between kicking myself for not just stuffing my pockets with handkerchiefs and slogging up there and patting myself on the back for so clearly heeding my body's warning that I needed lots of rest...or else!

Well, dh picked me up a Brandi Carlile CD; she opened for them, and apparently was amazing.

I sent a rather b*tchy message to Mothering Magazine for selling my address to Hanna Anderson. I know that's how smaller magazines make their money, but still it irks me.

Monique, I had never thought of that with the reselling of posh thrift-store finds. What a fabulous idea.
#248 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM

i added some new pictures of her..

still no name. tim and i are at odds.. i want matilda or juniper..he wants annari, which i think sounds like a sushi roll..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#249 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post

still no name. tim and i are at odds.. i want matilda or juniper..he wants annari, which i think sounds like a sushi roll..
I love Juniper... and yes, annari sounds like a sushi roll

going to look at the pics

HoneyTree - how do youknow mothering sold your address? I you tubed BC and what I heard I liked.

Spughy - it's a size small... I was thinking of posting it here for $30 and then moving it to ebay if it doesn't sell. That way I can make up for the money I spent on diapers (it was taken from our CSA fund which incidentally needs to be paid by the end of the month if we want our discount... but I couldn't pass the deal up at $3 a dipe).
#250 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would totally order an annari roll.
#251 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Hmm. Juniper.

Gunter, I'm so sorry about the dog poo, but I can't believe you ate chocolate cake immediately afterwards : For me, it's just one mental association too many, and chocolate cake is important.
Honeytree, I hope you feel better soon.
Fern, I was meaning to ask too: any PPH?
DiD, I updated your thread down in UC, I didn't want to derail this one too much. A lot of this comes from ye olde granny's notebooks.
And me? I just hurt Please, not 42.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#252 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 PM

Fern--it would be like sushi-related tofu, actually! (inari!) I like Matilda, that's really cute! And there are good nickname options (Mattie, Tillie, etc.) I tried to post on your birth thread yesterday but my post apparently got eaten, so somewhat late now re-congratulations! I was sooo thinking about you and waiting for the news, and I am sooo excited and happy for you! She is just beautiful!!!! And I also enjoyed the new pictures today too!! DH also looked today and he was quite taken--he thought she was sooooooo adorable and sort of started cooing and saying, "oh, look, she's so big! she's so beautiful! she's so cute!! She looks so fluffy and squishy!! Look at those chubby little cheeks!!" (I think his biological clock is ticking now, lol!)

Oh, and did you ever say if you had considered Ivy as a name? It just popped into my head because "Matilda Ivy" sounds good too and it's plant related so that would keep with your motif!!
#253 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM

i like ivy but my last name is ives..so ivy ives would sounds kinda funny

she is kind of like a little sushi roll, but still.

helen, no pph. like hardly any bleeding. im 2 days pp and im almost nopt bleeding. i wasnt surprised because it was such an easy gentle birth, but im still really happy. suzie offered pitocin and i said "no thank you. ill have some placenta though" and the back up midwife totally went white. she is pretty young and i guess she has never seen anyone eat raw placenta. they cut me this teeny tiny piece and i was like. "umm. can i have another piece? "so they cut another small piece and i was like. "no like a big piece. " so i ate 3 pieces before it felt like a good amount. it was super funny. ak crying baby,

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#254 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 06:05 PM

fern- you know i vote for matilda! love it!

helen- it was just pee and puke, no dog poop. so, yeah, i was good on chocolate cake eating without the gross associations after a bit.

i haven't felt the babe moving as much at all today, a couple of really light movements has been all. 35 weeks along...anyone remember not feeling their babe move a bunch for a day around that time or anything?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#255 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Yep, that's why I've spent the last two weeks in a state of white panic hoping that this baby gets out soon. You may be 35 weeks, but you're also only two weeks away from the point where Ezra was born, kwim? It doesn't help that his lordship has always been more laidback than I like in a fetus...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#256 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
his lordship ...
:
wow... he's already showing his character, eh?
#257 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
I know! I am caught between kicking myself for not just stuffing my pockets with handkerchiefs and slogging up there and patting myself on the back for so clearly heeding my body's warning that I needed lots of rest...or else!

Well, dh picked me up a Brandi Carlile CD; she opened for them, and apparently was amazing.
Allison and I are sitting here drooling at the idea of a Brandy Carlisle/Indigo Girls concert! I'm sorry you had to miss it

Quote:
helen, no pph. like hardly any bleeding. im 2 days pp and im almost nopt bleeding. i wasnt surprised because it was such an easy gentle birth, but im still really happy. suzie offered pitocin and i said "no thank you. ill have some placenta though" and the back up midwife totally went white. she is pretty young and i guess she has never seen anyone eat raw placenta. they cut me this teeny tiny piece and i was like. "umm. can i have another piece? "so they cut another small piece and i was like. "no like a big piece. " so i ate 3 pieces before it felt like a good amount. it was super funny. ak crying baby,
Not to derail or anything, but I've thought about eating my placenta (if I were to ever give birth again) but I think I'd have a hard time getting over the ick factor (have been vegetarian for about 12 years now and was vegan for close to 2 of those years). Was the texture "meat-ish"? I'd assume so and texture is what I'd have the most problems with.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#258 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
Kaspirant, if you're feeling stressed, why don't you skip the 3-hour test and just adhere to the diet that assumes you have GD, which is not so bad? No sugar, no refined carbohydrates, minimal starch, eat protein or fat with fruit, limit bananas, no dried fruit, lots of protein, lots of fat. It's a good recipe for end-of-pregnancy and it's what they'd have you do anyway. The bonus is that it'll stabilize your moods as much as possible, and there would be no point to a nasty 3-hour test. Just a thought.

I like that suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
I sent a rather b*tchy message to Mothering Magazine for selling my address to Hanna Anderson. I know that's how smaller magazines make their money, but still it irks me.
OH! So that's how I got the H.A. catalogue! I never realized Mothering did that.

Hope you're feeling better soon! I'm really under the weather, too, and it is such a bummer to have to do all my usual work with no extra time to take care of myself Boo hoo.

Quote:
i like ivy but my last name is ives..so ivy ives would sounds kinda funny
Lol, I guess Ivy Ives would't work then! I vote for Matilda!
#259 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 PM

she could be ivy ives and the crunchy bunch. ..

Susannah M: on placenta..

ive been vegetarian most of my life, vegan for a few years.. ive never eaten raw meat other than my own placenta (i ate some of ngaio's after birth as well) its not like meat. its warm and salty and very soft to chew. its not like any meat i could ever imagine eating. its almost like a warm piece of soft cucumber. thats my best description. all i know is that it feels so good and right to eat it, for me anyways..but once its been in the fridge a day or two the feeling is wearing off.. there is something about eating it as soon as its birthed and still warm. i still would like to eat more of it..i think i may dehydrate it and put it in capsules though..

Quote:

#260 of 303 Old 01-26-2008, 09:39 PM

Fern: The feeling is wearing off? Meaning that the "feeling" that it is working or the "feeling" of it going down/eating it is changing ? Or something else?

ETA: I *thought* you were veggie now but didn't realize you had been for so long

#261 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 AM

I love the name Juniper. I considered it for Woody, should he have been a girl, but then I met a Juniper, and that kind of threw off my association a bit. That said, I love the names you have strung together with Matilda on your blog; the rhythm and imagery of those names are gorgeous.

Monique, I knew it was Mothering that had sold my address because I hadn't subscribed to anything new in months, then I subscribed to Mothering and within two months I got this posh baby-themed catalog; it just didn't seem like a coincidence, so I wrote them about it and they admitted it and took me off the list.
#262 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 02:05 AM

I actually signed up for the Hanna Andersson catalogue - I really like their stuff : but it's super-expensive, especially with international shipping added in, and I've found myself unable now to buy new clothes - it just feels wrong. I actually felt ill when I went into the Gap the other day looking for onesies for Rowan (those are kind of underwear so I'm ok with buying them new... but I ended up finding lovely organic cotton ones at half price at a small, local, ethical retailer and felt MUCH better about it). Anyway, hence my excitement at Monique's find... but I fear that their sizing will not see me in a size small

In other news, Rowan pooped in her potty for the first time ever tonight!!! She'd asked for her clothes to be taken off because they were wet after she "helped" Daddy have a bath, then a minute later she asked for her potty so I got it out and left her with it and a few seconds later she was bouncing around gleefully announcing that she'd done a poop in her potty! We were all thrilled and there was much rejoicing. Then she tried to do another one because it was so much fun and of course it didn't work.

Is it wrong that I find pictures taken by Rowan to be absolutely hilarious? They have fingers in them, and the back of the couch, and chairs at strange angles... they make me giggle a lot. I think all of them were supposed to be of Daisy but only her tail made an appearance in one.

Fern, I like Juniper and Matilda but I agree that Annari does sound like sushi, or like that character on Firefly (Inara I think?) who was a high-class prostitute. Just sayin'.

#263 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 AM

i mean how appetizing it is..not so much once its all cold and been in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
Fern: The feeling is wearing off? Meaning that the "feeling" that it is working or the "feeling" of it going down/eating it is changing ? Or something else?

ETA: I *thought* you were veggie now but didn't realize you had been for so long

Quote:

#264 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 03:58 AM

Fern, I love Juniper and Matilda. I am sure you and Timothy will come up with the perfect, beautiful name for your perfect beautiful baby girl. Let us know when you know. I loved looking at the new pictures on your blog. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Aahh, I'm in love, so i know you must really be in love. Also, I'm curious, how are Ngaio and Elwynn enjoying their new sister?
#265 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 AM

Oh, I forgot to say:

Kaspirant, the hardest time of my life emotionally was the 9 months I carried Skye, but I felt the same thing to a lesser extent during those six months of Rowan's pregnancy and the first three months of the twin pregnancy. I just couldn't stay on an even keel, which is why I started the e.p.o supplements so early as a "whole of pregnancy" thing: for me, my body just needed the essential fatty acids to help my brain, her growing girly brain and my reproductive system. I don't know if it matters whether it's EPO or a general omega supplement, but I would take something.

eta: I posted THIS down in my DDC. Please, I'd love your input.

#266 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Sarah, I didn't mean to knock your taste; Hanna Anderson clothes are cute! It's my one libertarian attitude--I feel like we should only have access to each other's mail boxes with permission.

I have had a similar experience to yours at the Gap, though; my sister got me a gift certificate to the mall for Christmas, but the one time I went to try and spend it I just felt weird, like me and my beliefs didn't belong there! I considered just spending the whole thing at The Body Shop, but then I read on the activism forum that they're owned by L'Oreal or some other wicked company. :

I've been lucky so far to have received all of Woody's clothes as hand-me-downs and gifts, but my days of neutral karma are numbered!
#267 of 303 Old 01-27-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
i mean how appetizing it is..not so much once its all cold and been in the fridge.

Okay, where is the "duh!" smilie when I need it? That makes sense. Thanks.

Helen, I've got a wonderful pic of "our" river that Keagan was born in front of. . .but I am too technoligically challenged to figure out how to link it. I'll ask Allison to do it when she gets home later. (and I love His Lordship's name by the way. . . we let Keagan tell us what his name was too. . . and oh boy does it fit him. Passionate and fiery he is!)

#268 of 303 Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 AM

I made placenta pills (well dh actually did all the work) last time. Dehydrated with ginger and lemon. I seemed to recover better/easier, bleed less, and NOT get ppd.
I'm totally eating a piece or two this time around It's taken me three times to work up the nerve. The first time my mw was against it totally so along with my ick factor that was out. The second time I just wasn't sure. Chicken soup sounded better. This time, I don't care what it tastes like or how it feels, I know innately know I need it.

Soo.... this morning, I woke up for my 4am pee and snack and heard voices outside and flashlights in the window. I woke dh and jumped up and we both shoved the blinds aside and looked down (kinda stupid but I figured that burglers probably wouldn't be using flashlights). There were cops down there trying to get in our basement! (the door and step down to the basement are directly beneath our bedroom windows). Long story short, apparently someone had tried to break into a car out front and they thought he'd ran into someone's basement. Our door was unlocked so they went down there to check. Since we've lived here, our car has been ransacked (nothing but a small plastic container of change stolen), dh's bike has been stolen, our single jogger has been stolen (dh thinks maybe the trash guy took it thinking it was being trashed), and dh STILL leaves the basement door unlocked!!!!! This time, the officer told him to keep it locked. So maybe he'll listen to him instead of just me, the nag. OMG, it's so much trouble LOCKING your stuff up!!!!!!!!!!
Enough excitement for me and now I can't get to sleep!~
#269 of 303 Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Wow, that sounds exciting : Did they catch him?

#270 of 303 Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

I don't know... but he wasn't in our basement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page