Happy New Year, November 05 moms! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Time flies when we have toddlers running around! Hope everyone had a great 2007 and I'm excited to see how 2008 turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The old thread.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Crap, I had a feeling that might happen - DiD and I both started threads at the same time! Here's my post from the other new thread. I'll close it and we can use this one.

It's 2008 - woot woot! Happy New Year!

I'm listening to Death Cab for Cutie's "So This is the New Year." We did absolutely nothing festive last night, went to sleep by 10:30, and slept in til 8:00. And as Brynn would say, "I feel really good about that."

To continue the thread from last YEAR (heh), here's the last post of 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
Happy New Year mamas!!!

I am way behind on reading posts. Having had an eating disorder most of my life, it's not so healthy for me when it comes to talks about weight gain/loss. I am glad everyone is seeking to be healthy though!

I want to make some goals for the year. Off the top of my head: Read 25 books, travel to south or central america to volunteer, gut our kitchen and put it back together and get hot tub working/fixed, get post partum doula certified, love my babes, go on more "dates" with hubs, learn more about eating local this spring/summer, then canning for next winter, promote my etsy shop and do a few craft shows. Anyone else want to share their ideas?
Can I just say that you are freakishly ambitious for wanting to do all of that with a newborn and a toddler. But being the awesome groovy Mama that you are, I have no doubt you will be able to do all of that and more!

My goal this year is to get healthier physically, and continue to try to work for a balance between my needs and that of my family. And I am totally with you on the more dates with the hubby! We went to see "I am Legend" the other night, sans bebe, and it was so fun! I think I might like to get a part-time job at our Waldorf school, too. Oh, and maybe join a book club.

Jen, so glad to hear that your party was a success! I don't remember the last time I went to or hosted a NYE party. On the subject of exercise, I find it really interesting that you do a lot of your workout time after the kids go to bed. Brynn usually goes to sleep around 9:30, by which time I am so wiped out that I can barely brush my teeth, much less do 45 minutes on the elliptical! So, you are awesome.

Mel, I saw your picture on Neela's blog, and you look nothing like what I pictured - at all! I thought you were sort-of taller and bigger-built, with long blonde hair. About as wrong as I could possibly be! You are such a cute little mama!

This year is going to be exciting for this group - so many babies coming soon! I wonder who else will have a BFP this year? Any bets? I'm guessing Kavita, barcelona, DiD, and Spughy.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#4 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Happy New Year everyone! We went to DH's cousin's place for dinner last night and had a really good time. Rowan was the only child there, and charmed the pants off everyone. (not literally, it wasn't that kind of party)

Well, my New Year's resolutions are as follows:

1) Do some sort of exercise (either gym, pilates DVD, or shovelglove) every day.
2) No starch, no sugar, until I hit 130 lbs or 25% bodyfat, whichever comes first.
3) Menu plan every week!
4) Learn how to knit, complete at least 1 hat and 1 pair of socks this year.

Amy, I kind of hope you're right about me getting pregnant this year. I'm feeling like it's almost time. I do want to get *settled* somewhere though. But, I've kind of volunteered to try out childcare for my good friend Sue (indigo_sue on MDC) who is moving back to Victoria. She's a working mama and needs someone she can trust a couple days a week for her little guy. So it'll be interesting to see how I can cope with a baby and a toddler! (He's 5 mo, so not exactly a newborn, but not mobile yet.)

zzzz.... I want more sleep today! We got to bed about an hour later than normal, but Rowan didn't sleep in very much.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#5 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 03:41 PM

thanks, amy! you better hold me to those things this year, mama. i will bug you about the book club, job and healthy life, in general!

oh, yeah, i want to add to my goals for the year: have another wonderful homebirth and nurse my newborn easily from the start!

here is my post from this morning from the old thread:

Happy New Year mamas!!!

I am way behind on reading posts. Having had an eating disorder most of my life, it's not so healthy for me when it comes to talks about weight gain/loss. I am glad everyone is seeking to be healthy though!

I want to make some goals for the year. Off the top of my head: Read 25 books, travel to south or central america to volunteer, gut our kitchen and put it back together and get hot tub working/fixed, get post partum doula certified, love my babes, go on more "dates" with hubs, learn more about eating local this spring/summer, then canning for next winter, promote my etsy shop and do a few craft shows. Anyone else want to share their ideas?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#6 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 03:45 PM

hey everyone.. ive been pretty under the weather.. i wrote about it in my blog if anyone cares much to read about it.. feeling a bit better today. due in 11 days!

our new years was very low key. i was in bed with the kiddos by and dp by midnight but i heard the hullabaloo outside. after that i slept (for the first time in 7 nights!) till 6:45 when ngaio started puking on the bed right beside me... it feels like its just one thing after another.

off to climb back into bed.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 04:31 PM

I thought I'd add this in to the weight/mother conversation. I wrote it over a year ago. My Mom has never seen it.

Quote:
I don't have a good relationship with my mom. I wish I did. But I have all these letters in my head for her. I think that some of them may be beneficial for other mom's to read. /shrug. Maybe this is just a place for me to get it out.

Dear Mom,
I'm packing for a trip to see some friends and family and it has made me very depressed. I am going to see my in-laws and I already don't feel so comfortable around them to begin with. The thing is I hate my body and so packing depresses me so much because I have to choose clothes to wear, and these clothes matter so much more because of how critical my MIL is. Her comments leave me feeling less than beautiful. But then I know I am not beautiful. I am fat and undesirable. Oh, hush, don't try to backtrack now. You spent the majority of my childhood telling me how fat I was. You told me over and over again how big I was and how much my worth depended on that. I see the clothes I have left hanging in my closet. Most of them are near rags because I hate so much to buy new clothes. I don't want clothes to fit my body because that would mean buying *that* size. You know the size that I really am. You told me so often how big it was and how horrible I look. You never said it directly to me--maybe if you had I wouldn't have remembered it so vividly. Instead you critisized my mentor. The one I looked up to and turned to for comfort and acceptance. You see I wear a size 14/16 and all I remember is you telling me over and over again how fat you were and how much you hated your body--and how big those size 16 jeans were that you had to buy. How can I be beautiful as the size that you were when to me you were stunning...but to you...and you told us often...you were ugly, huge and undesirable?!? Apparently...Not only do I have the same jean size, I have the same genes.

I still have to pack my clothes, the ones that don't fit me well. I will on the other hand...in spite of the criticism I am sure to get look in the mirror and find beauty...for this is something I have no desire to pass on to my children. I may not be a size 6, but I am beautiful. I just wish you had told me that I was...It's hard for me to convince myself of something I know you don't believe.

Your middle daughter
#8 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Sorry, Fern. Skye hasn't been sleeping well recently (she's been up- as in, wide awake- at 3am the last 3 nights) and I'm fretting about what the New Year is actually going to hold for us.

OK, my goals for the New Year.
1) Get the local homebirth support group up, running, kicking ass and thriving. First meeting of the year is the 12th, and I'm excited
2) Have a baby, calmly, gently, and mindfully. Homebirth, UC, whatever. This birth is going to kick ass, because it's almost certainly going to be my last- and from my home visit with my midwife, I trust that she's in my corner as much as anyone is possibly going to be.
3) Walk the full length of The Ridgeway over the course of the year. I haven't done any major long distance walking since having kids, and I want to get back into it. Spughy's seen part of the trail, when we took her and Rowan to Avebury, and it's not hard walking, just more than I've done recently.
4) Eat healthily and exercise, so that the weight can come off when the time is right.
5) Get a professional qualification. I think I'm going to start by finishing off my course as a flower remedies practitioner and then, hopefully, start my studies as a homoeopath. As much as I love the idea of midwifery, the birthing climate over here right now means that I'm not the right person to get the job done- as an advocate, I kick ass. As an activist, I'm pretty good. As a hands-on, front-line, dealing with the public bod, though, it's a real weak spot and that's one of the reasons why I'm standing down as chair of the NCT branch. Anyhow, I digress. Where we are right now is pretty close to the Bach Centre at Mount Vernon, and there's three homoeopathic schools within fair travelling distance that do degrees... it just feels like the time is right. Part-time, though, obviously (and not until September...) We've come such a long way as a family already, with Steve retraining, that I know we can do this and go that bit further so that I can use my talents outside the family as well.
BTW, I forgot to mention, but he passed his first placement (at his old school, which is now really, really, REALLY rough) and got offered a job My husband kicks ass. And works for MI6. AND he's a hitman according to the kids.

Kaspirant, we doubleposted. Powerful words, mama. Do you still feel the same, or has the last year changed your perspective at all?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Oh, Fern! Bless your heart. What a night/last couple of days! I'm sorry I suggested the sensitivity toothpaste. That seems hopelessly insensitive in light of your pain. The pictures of your home in winter are just breathtaking, though. The valley is gorgeous.

Add me to the list of want-to-be BFP this year! I'm hoping to time it for another Nov/Dec baby so I can teach until the winter break, so that means a mid-to-late Feb TTC. But Dh is only onboard some of the time, so, maybe January, maybe March, maybe never. Meh :.

I don't really have any resolutions. As soon as I make them, I get resentful of them and quit. So I'm just going to keep riding this "let's get organized" wave until it's over and then see what I feel motivated to do. It's my ongoing goal to walk every night, and some times I do better than others, but I always feel more energetic when I'm consistent about it, so I'll aim for continuing that, too.

My very good friend is home today after a crazy 4 days in the hospital because her 4-year-old son's appendix burst. It was so scary to hear her story--for three days, a burst and later abscessed appendix manifested in only a low-grade fever and a little diarrhea, so nobody caught it. Talking to her this morning made me feel so vulnerable, which I know is just life, but I felt sad about it. So I'm knitting her son a pair of socks and baking them some bread.
#10 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Kaspirant, we doubleposted. Powerful words, mama. Do you still feel the same, or has the last year changed your perspective at all?
The words are quite powerful and sometimes I wish I had what it took to confront my mother with the hurts and pains, but I honestly don't think it would do any good. It brought tears to my eyes reading it again...

Do I still feel the same?!?

That is one joy of being gorgeously pregnant right now. I have clothes that fit and I love my pregnant body...well except for the aches and pains.

I do still struggle with how *big* I am ... but I am healthy. I am a big boned woman and I will NEVER fit in a size 6 or even 8 I don't think. I would be skin and bones if I tried. BUT. I will not pass on that legacy to my kids, even if I am uncomfortable with *my* size...I will work to maintain a healthy lifestyle and not correlate my size with my health.
#11 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 05:16 PM

first off, Happy New Year's Everyone!!!!

Secondly, I meant to post this earlier (for whatever reason my posts have been abandoned due to interruption, or if I actually make it through to the end, they end up not showing up.) But, spughy, I really like New Mexico and I can imagine you liking it too!!! For one thing, New Mexico has some of the best policys for homebirth and the highest homebirth rates in the country. (I don't remember where you had Rowan but even if you're not a homebirther, that translates into higher breastfeeding rates, and an overall higher crunchiness quotient.) The land is very beautiful and varied too--a mixture of desert and forests. Santa Fe is very hip and artsy, etc. I have a good friend in Santa Fe with two little boys, and they live in a cabin with no running water, etc., and yet they still cloth diaper! I also have a friend who lives in Albequerque. Although I've never lived in NM I have spent a little bit of time there and was licensed to practice midwifery there once upon a time. If you like green chilis, Hatch NM (closer to the AZ border) is famous for their green chilis, and you can buy huge burlap sacks of them for cheap, cheap, cheap when they are in harvest season, and roast them over an open fire (or BBQ grill, or in the oven, etc.) and then eat them with everything (on a burger, in an omlette, etc.) and then they also freeze well in plastic bags. Anyway, don't be scared of NM, I think it's a good place to live!!!!

As far as losing weight, I just want to be in better shape and have more energy and feel more comfortable physically. At this point, I'm 36 years old and I am not getting any younger, and I have a super energetic and super outgoing toddler, and I find myself very cranky with her sometimes because it's just exhausting trying to chase her around and keep her safe, and keep property safe from her! And the less in shape I am, the less I feel like moving around. I've lost significant weight and gotten in better shape before, so now it's just a matter of starting over again. I do agree, though, that you can be healthy and heavy, or skinny and unhealthy. I have an interesting situation with my sister too--she is very tall and has always been model thin. That's just her body type, and even when I did more exercise and ate better and such than she, she was always thin. She is really small boned, whereas I am really big boned--we've fallen off the opposite branches of the family tree and since we've been adults people sometimes say that we don't even look like sisters. (Which has always bewildered me because since she was always tall for her age as a child, we were often close enough in height despite a 4 year age difference that strangers sometimes thought we were twins, so I guess that left me with the impression that we looked alike even though we maybe don't as adults and maybe didn't really look that alike as kids either!) But she's never been as healthy as I have, she's constantly been faced with a lot of weird health problems, where I am actually remarkably healthy overall.

Anyway, yesterday I went to the new gym for the first time and did half an hour on the treadmill. Since I'm starting from scratch again, my goal for the moment is just to show up and do a minimum of 20 minutes on some type of cardio equipment 3 times weekly, for the next couple of weeks, just to get myself into the habit of going to the gym regularly and doing *something*. I don't want to go all crazy, kill myself overdoing it, and burn out in a week. I also need to get Ella acclimated to the playroom situation--this will be the first time I've left her in a group care situation, so that's a change for both of us. Anyway, I met my new physical trainer for a consultation. She seems really nice and we agreed on a plan for how to proceed. I will do a bit of cardio for the next two weeks, and will check in with her when I'm at the gym at least a couple of times a week for accountability (which is weird because as a former probation officer, I was used to people having to check in with and report to *me*and so now I feel like *I'm* on probation, lol!) and then we'll start with the weight training etc. in two weeks. I'm so excited!!!!!

It was additionally nice that DH had Ella at home while I was at the gym, and he took her to the grocery store, so I decided that since they weren't home anyway I'd go get some coffee. So after a while DH called, and was sounding harried and was like, "where are you? when are you going to be home? she's tired and she's running all over the place then she fell and hurt herself a little and now she's crying, and the dogs are barking and barking . . . " I told him in my most sincere fake-sympathy voice, "Gee, I can't imagine what that must be like for you!!" :nana: Bwaa haa haa!!! I don't think that the point was lost on him! He sometimes acts like I'm overreacting when I get overwhelmed and fed up when both the dogs and the child are going nuts and barking non-stop and i can't put them out because they get destructive or dirty or escape the fence. however, i think it's a little different when you only have to deal with it a few hours on evenings and weekends rather than the whole damn day. Not that working all day is a picnic either, but I've done that too and it's definitely a different kind of stress and annoyance than is going on in our house currently! Sometimes a girl just wants a little understanding, respect and acknowledgement that she's actually doing something that's hard and worthwhile in holding the fort down!!!

We had a little at-home new year's celebration just the three of us. We'd gotten silly new year's hats, a couple of little decorations, and noisemakers at a party store a few weeks back. So we had a veggie tray and a cheese platter and shrimp cocktail (me and DH) and roasted garlic and baguettes and a bottle of sparkling wine for us and sparkling water for Ella and watched the Times Square NY celebration online and called it a party. It was fun.

In more directly-motherhood-related news, since our India trip was again postponed, I decided to stop trying to delay the potty learning process for travel purposes and just go forth. So now Ella is in regular panties most of the day and is peeing and pooping on the potty with very few misses! I still have her in diapers when we go out of the house and for naps and nighttime, but she's been having more dry wakeups and I think next we'll try to figure out peeing in public places. Which I am dreading actually because there is little that grosses me out more than public toilets, but whatever.

And in bad motherhood related news, I think I have thrush, particularly the left side is sore, and I was sort of discouraging her from nursing on that side the other night and then I ended up waking up with a milk blister which keeps recurring despite the fact that I have managed to get it cleared out a couple of times already. I think I need to get some lecithin and take it, and start the whole thrush treatment deal. :

Happy organizing (or being organized by someone else!) Mel and HoneyTree!!! I like having a pretty neat and tidy and clutter free home, and I think we are relatively clutter free and organized. (Amy recently saw our basement for the first time, so she may have a different opinion on this matter, lol!) At least the main living areas of our house are pretty clutter free most of the time, at least the clutter is kept within a reasonable level. I do some decluttering on a pretty regular basis, and I'm feeling that I need to do a little more right now, just some of Ella's clothes that she doesn't wear, my undie drawer, and some parts of my kitchen. We have a few areas in general that need to be dealt with--like our sunroom, which sort of becomes a repository/staging area for overflow crap from the kitchen, goodwill-destined items, and recycling as well as a dog containment zone. DH doesn't sort/tidy stuff in the way I would, but as long as he takes care of most maintenance stuff I don't really care how he stores his tools and crap. I keep track of the few things that I use (my multitool, a couple of screwdrivers, my drill and bits.) We have more stuff stored in the basement than we're used to and need to sort that crap out one of these days, but a large majority of it is camping/outdoors equipment, midwifery equipment/supplies, outgrown baby clothes and gear, and empty suitcases. So I can deal with that stuff just sitting in boxes/bags for the time being. Part of my issue is that I can't put anything where it is accessible to Ella, because she gets into ev-rey-thing. If my cell phone is within reach, she will snag it, and pushes buttons randomly, and now knows that to talk to someone she should push the green button! It will then redial whoever I've talked to last. She's called Amy, SoulJourney, and my mom that way when I've been busy doing something!! So all things have to be up high, out of reach and out of climbing range too.

Well, enough rambling here, I'd better get on with my day! Things to do, places to go, etc.!!
#12 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Kaspirant and Flapjack, I cross posted with y'all, too.

Kaspirant, . What I took from your second post is something that I've heard echoed over this thread for the past couple of days: focusing on the powerful and beautiful things a healthy body can do for us, loving and accepting the things about our bodies that we may historically have felt back about, and passing on to our children these good attitudes about food, exercise, and body image. I think that's a pretty good place to be!

Flapjack, I want to come walk with Ridgeway with you! And I love the idea of sharing your talents with the world as well as within your own home.

Kavita, I can totally relate to your post about your dh and the "different kind of stress" of staying home with a child and barky dogs. We struggle with that, too, but try to pat each other on the back A LOT between arguments to keep it in perspective!
#13 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM

Happy New Year mamas!!!

We had plans to volunteer for Venture Outdoors at First Night Pittsburgh (the family friendly alcohol free celebration in the city) and then a neighbors' party last night but it didn't quite pan out the way we thought it was going to.

First, I wasn't feeling very well. I've taken the last few days "off" as in let the house go, the kids stay in their pj's and I'm in bed, knitting, reading, letting them color, read, and play in the room with me or within earshot on their train table. I really needed the rest. Though my sinuses are clearing up, I'm just totally exhausted. I think that baby is having a growth spurt because I've been so ravenously hungry in addition to the tiredness. So I was tired and not feeling so well but decided to go with dh and the kids anyway. He had volunteered to help with the apple cider tent and the snowshoe path.

But when we got there, it was crowded, noisy, (as expected) and the kids got overstimulated rather quickly. Plus, there was a plethora of volunteers already there so they didn't really need our help. We stuck it out for about an hour and then left. Got to our neighbors' and enjoyed some seriously delicious gourmet food (she's a caterer). I just felt so out of place and tired. And I'm wearied by small talk. But it was nice to be social (I tend to get more and more homebound when pg). We got home by around 11 but I stayed up until midnight. Dh was conked out with the kids. So I listened to the fireworks and sirens by myself.

Fern It always that when it rains it pours for us too!

Gunter - what would you volunteer doing? And would your dh come with you?

Flapjack - who are you getting your flower remedy certification with? Bach? I love flower essences. I can't wait to take the course myself. And homeopathy too!!!

Kaspirant - wow. I deal with struggling with my body image because it is quite similar to my mother's and I projected so much anger and bitterness when her back was turned that now I have a hard time looking in the mirror and seeing the same genes reflecting on my own person. A bit of a different situation but while she always said she wanted to lose weight (she's always been between a 12 and a 16), I have always seen her as huge and have always maintained my identity apart from her by trying to keep my body at a smaller size. It was really hard after Gabriel was born because for the first time in our lives the sizes were reversed. She'd just had a round of surgeries and had lost a lot of weight, I had just had a baby and was larger than her, like I said for the first time in my life. I still don't understand the dicotomy of this whole resenting my mom for being so out of touch with me growing up and yet wanting to be the best mom I can be. I'm not making much sense. But I feel for you and am encouraged that though the pain is still there, you are finding the strength to face it.

Kavita - glad yougot out and had a little time to yourself. Most times when I do, unless it's in the evening and the kids are down for the night, I get the same phone call . And I always have the same response .

My resolutions for this year? I haven't really resolved to sit down and write them out yet.
Off the top of my head, I want to live more consciously, simply, compassionate and contented.
I want to continue to knit and would like to start and finish a small quilt for each of the boys.
I want to get a freezer and fill it with local goodies from local organic farmers.
I want to buy a share in a CSA and buy as much as I can from the local (non-store) co-op.
That would put us in the acheiveable 100 mile diet category.
I want to plan ahead more for things I have direct control over (meals, activities with the kids, etc).
I want to join a moms group.
I want to help out with marketing our office as much as possible.
And I want to grow my hair out and dread it when I get sick of it being long. Probably not going to happen but I want to anyway.

I have absolutely no plan of what to expect from this year. This past year has been so incredibly challenging for all of us, from living with my parents to moving, to settling in, starting a practice, gettting pregnant, and dealing with all the issue that have arose in the process.
It will be interesting to say the least
#14 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
I told him in my most sincere fake-sympathy voice, "Gee, I can't imagine what that must be like for you!!" :nana: Bwaa haa haa!!! I don't think that the point was lost on him! He sometimes acts like I'm overreacting when I get overwhelmed and fed upSometimes a girl just wants a little understanding, respect and acknowledgement that she's actually doing something that's hard and worthwhile in holding the fort down!!!
Word.

I'm actually pretty peeved at DH right now because I'm sitting in an office covered in belt-sander dust, which of course he left for ME to clean up after he so mannishly hung the door to the office. He remembered to wear safety goggles and one of those 3M surgery mask thingies (for crying out loud), but couldn't be bothered to cover up the desk with a sheet before sanding the frame. Thanks!

Added to this is the fact that we tried a new sleeping arrangement last night: Jason in the middle, Brynn on his side, and me on the other side. We thought maybe if she didn't have full frontal access to Mama in the wee hours, she might sleep better, and I would *certainly* sleep better! Of course this morning he was all "Wah, I didn't have enough room, and she was so wiggly, wah wah, I'm SO TIRED!" I was like, "Yeah, pretty much every night of my life for the past two years, buddy. Cry me a river!"

I just feel really pissy right now. I guess it could be PMS, but I have no idea since I haven't had a period since I stopped taking the pill, and I'm not even really sure when that was.

Anyway, I will cease and desist from my complaining and go read by book before I fall asleep. I'm sure I will be normal tomorrow when I can respond appropriately to the other posts.

Oh, and yes, Kavita's house overall (including basement) is very clutter-free! In fact, I was just thinking that yesterday.

#15 of 303 Old 01-01-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Word.

I'm actually pretty peeved at DH right now because I'm sitting in an office covered in belt-sander dust, which of course he left for ME to clean up after he so mannishly hung the door to the office. He remembered to wear safety goggles and one of those 3M surgery mask thingies (for crying out loud), but couldn't be bothered to cover up the desk with a sheet before sanding the frame. Thanks!

Added to this is the fact that we tried a new sleeping arrangement last night: Jason in the middle, Brynn on his side, and me on the other side. We thought maybe if she didn't have full frontal access to Mama in the wee hours, she might sleep better, and I would *certainly* sleep better! Of course this morning he was all "Wah, I didn't have enough room, and she was so wiggly, wah wah, I'm SO TIRED!" I was like, "Yeah, pretty much every night of my life for the past two years, buddy. Cry me a river!"

I just feel really pissy right now. I guess it could be PMS, but I have no idea since I haven't had a period since I stopped taking the pill, and I'm not even really sure when that was.

AK! guys are so friggin whiney and wimpy! im sorry he isn't more sensitive to the fact that you live that every night! sometimes i wonder about men.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#16 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble with quoting but Amy, thanks for thinking of me for the BFPs in 2008. I'm : for one soon.

Helen, I'm sad to hear you say this is your last babe. I could have sworn you said you wanted one more? Is it the SPD that's causing you so much misery?
#17 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 AM

Happy New Year!

Have been reading along, but with no time to post. Will post tomorrow, for sure

Blessings to all in 2008!
#18 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 AM

I slept through midnight last night. I was exhausted. Tonight however...a different story. I'm still exhausted, but the movers will be here in the morning. I was supposed to go back to work tomorrow, but I called in for a sub...I am not ready to go back and with the move just need the extra day, so back on Thursday I will go. I have an official off-work date of February 8th. Due date is March 8th. My OB feels that if I'm still pregnant at 36 weeks *PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE* That is when she wants me off my feet...and after the year I've had/am having. I am 100% on board with that.

I'll have pics of the new place up this weekend I hope. It's really exciting. DH is driving up and back right now with boxes and things because we have the movers by the hour and really just need them for the big things so we are trying to get as much of the little stuff out of the was as we can. I've been packing the boxes up and up until tonight we've driven up in two loaded cars to unpack the boxes and bring the empty ones back. Tonight though, Jacob is sleeping and so I'm staying here and DH is just driving the boxes up into piles for me to unload tomorrow.

Jacob is bursting with new things. It's so exciting to watch him growing and learning all the new stuff every day. It seems like every day there is a new word or concept. I love it!

Yesterday I think it finally sunk in that I'm really and truly pregnant. I don't know what it is about this pregnancy that I can't seem to remember that I'm growing a baby..but every once in a while I just have the thought drift over me "There's a baby...and she's growing inside you!" We bought her a few new outfits yesterday so that was pretty exciting. It's the first new things I've bought for her. I've got all Jacob's baby stuff still so we'll be reusing a lot, but having a cute little pink dress and some purple things too really is making this daughter concept become more real.

I have more packing to do, but Leah insisted mama sit down for a bit. She does have a way of reminding me to slow down...a good thing I'm sure.

*hugs* mamas!!
#19 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 AM

i just cannot sleep this morning! i woke up around 1am after falling asleep at 9pm in the guest bedroom. ugh!

#20 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 AM

DiD, we think this is the last one just because it feels right. Eurovision baby gave us a hell of a scare over Christmas- at one point, I was quite seriously in fits of tears because I couldn't face planning another baby's funeral- and whilst yeah, we CAN fit another one into our lives, I don't know that it's a big enough deal for us to want to. Just the reality of trying to organise a trip to hospital for me to be monitored was a nightmare, with my mum around to help with childcare and pick up the pieces. We're going back to NFP for a couple of years until we know for sure that we're done, but barring accidents, I think my baby years are pretty much over. It's not so much the SPD, because that's calmed down since he dropped, it's the cumulative and emotional stuff that goes with having a large family. A lot of it is the whole multiple miscarriage thing- I don't know if the issue was weight, or antibodies, or just pure bad luck, but there's a lot of other emotions that come into play with PAL, that I just can't handle again. I'm still crossing my fingers for you two though : (and Skye was conceived 6 weeks after OUR wedding...)

Kaspirant, I'm glad the cabin is going well for you It sounds wonderful.

Amy, for goodness sake go and take a pregnancy test. The crabbiness could be down to a change in contraception, but it could also be a bean AND you just said the fatal words "I want to lose weight" and "only one child" in the same post, which is a guaranteed fertility charm.... try giving Brynn a feather duster (or microfibre) and asking her to help tidy up. It worked wonders on our dust mountain

Kavita I love the way you always sound so down to earth and grounded. May your hubby appreciate just HOW hard parenting 9-5 is, and the gym remain fulfilling.

Monique, yep, I'm training with Bach. The Bach Centre is literally just down the road from me here, so it's feeling like a giant karmic hint to get back into things.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#21 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Amy, for goodness sake go and take a pregnancy test. The crabbiness could be down to a change in contraception, but it could also be a bean AND you just said the fatal words "I want to lose weight" and "only one child" in the same post, which is a guaranteed fertility charm....
Ha! You are funny. I don't think so though, because even though I got off the pill (which was mainly to see if it would help with my endo), I still have the old reliable IUD! Now, if somehow a baby was concieved through *both* of those methods, well I guess you could just call me Mary, version 2.0.

#22 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM

We woke up to a morning so cold that our water had frozen! DH had to go down to the basement and use a hairdryer on the pipes to get the water working again. I'm just bummed its too cold to play outside today - Killy doesn't start school till next week, so I'm grasping at ways to keep him fully occupied and not tormenting Ellie all the time. I'm thinking a trip to the library this afternoon will help, but then I have to do a grocery store trip. Is it awful that I would prefer doing almost anything in the world more than taking two kids to the grocery store with me? I always come home nearly in tears... somehow the moment we walk into the store both kids devolve into fighting pre-verbal todlers who lack all their normal social skills.

Anyone who cares to, please send some positive energy/prayers to my aunt. She has lung cancer and has taken a real turn for the worse, it seems. My uncle called my dad (they're brothers) and asked him to come out this morning because my uncle is so scared about what's happening with his wife. She's been in the hospital for a few days now, and was only diagnosed a couple months ago.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#23 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM

it snowed for about three minutes here in north carolina this afternoon!

ez and i went to drop stuff off at the thrift store and i just have to share what we scored while there! A little piano, a wooden bead and wire play toy and a wooden pull-toy int he shape of a caterpillar for $3 total. Plus, a Medela Pump in Style Traveler breastpump for $4.10 with all of the pieces included and in excellent condition. For $1, a bike seat that we can mount for ezra! Woo hoo! I could barely believe such great things.

Since I am planning to work as a doula/midwife's assistant this year, I thought that I may need to pump so had just planned on borrowing my friend's pump as her daughter will be about 22 months by the time i would use it. I am sure she will keep nursing, but not pumping for the nights she works at the birth center.

QoC- Ez and i went to the library today after the thrift store and had fun. We hadn't been there since we got back into town so it was all new again even though it's such a small place. They are just a little neighborhood library but have puzzles and some play things in addition to a decent selection of books. Sorry it's so hard about the grocery store. It's on my list of things to fear in becoming a mom to two kids! Will send healing vibes to your aunt, so sorry she is sick.

helen- i am struggling to imagine being needed by two kids so i can see how more than that would be well, just really big to handle. are you doing better from your christmas scare? and, is your kitchen all done finally or did i miss that post? i am so jealous that the bach place is close to you. how fabulous!

kaspirant- i, too often feel that this pregnancy is so surreal and i even forget that i am pregnant or just don't feel like a babe is really coming! i made a list this morning while i was being an insomniac of all the things i need to get into place.

in other news, DH took a job working from home! It's only part-time and with a friend of ours (who had a homebirth last week!) who started website called keyingredient.com. so, dh is working with him and like 10 other people on the behind the scenes stuff of the website. they pay is next to nothing but is better than nothing or him being gone all day every day. i hope to make a few dollars on etsy soon and maybe do a craft show locally before the babe is born. it's so different for us to have to think about money these days but we really are trying to stretch our savings and be available for each other and the babes. so, this means being creative for a while in ways to make money. i am so thankful that dh is willing to sacrifice a higher paying more lucrative job to be at home more.

#24 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant View Post
I thought I'd add this in to the weight/mother conversation. I wrote it over a year ago. My Mom has never seen it.
I too have had weight issues because of my mom. She was under 100 pounds for most of my childhood. Pics from when I was young remind me of people saved from the concentration camps. When I was pregnant with Keagan she "reminded" me that she gained no more than 15 pounds while pregnant with me and she was under 115 when I was born. Thanks, mom.
Your letter was incredible; I wish I could write something like it and then send it to my mom.

Quote:
Amy, for goodness sake go and take a pregnancy test. The crabbiness could be down to a change in contraception, but it could also be a bean AND you just said the fatal words "I want to lose weight" and "only one child" in the same post, which is a guaranteed fertility charm.... try giving Brynn a feather duster (or microfibre) and asking her to help tidy up. It worked wonders on our dust mountain
that was my first thought as well

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#25 of 303 Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
kaspirant- i, too often feel that this pregnancy is so surreal and i even forget that i am pregnant or just don't feel like a babe is really coming! i made a list this morning while i was being an insomniac of all the things i need to get into place.
It's so weird to read this. I remember when I was pregnant other mothers in our DDC who already had children would say this, would talk about how they didn't have everything ready, or the pregnancy wasn't at the tip of their minds all the time, and I remember thinking, "HOW is that possible?!?" I just could not imagine NOT thinking about being pregnant 24/7, and I was one of those mothers, like many first timers, I guess, who had all the details lined up months in advance.

Now, having a 2 y.o., I can TOTALLY relate! NOTHING occupies all my thoughts anymore. Fragmented doesn't begin to describe. And I could totally picture myself not worrying about all the details like what needs to be done. There are some small diapers around here somewhere...I've got plenty of towels ...the boobs still work...I'm a pro at slinging...what else is there again?
#26 of 303 Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 AM

hey there ladies.

helen, i'm so sorry about your scare over christmas! i'm so glad it's passed, and soon you'll be holding your sweet healthy baby in your arms. (when are you due again?)

fern, so sorry you are having such a rough time! your blog was so sweet...i'm so excited for your to meet your new little one.

Q of C, i'm so sorry about your aunt. i'll be sending healing vibes her way.

amy, hope you are feeling better today. i thought you might be pregnant, too, but i guess with the ivf, it'd be pretty miraculous. as for your prediction that i'd get a bfp this year...i honestly hope i don't...my mind is louder than my body right now. we really are not in place to have a baby right now. so much of our careers is in the air, and feels like it'll take off soon...and a baby would most likely put that to a halt, or slow it down. i'm hoping for a bfp in 2009.

kavita, how great that you have been getting organized, and getting to the gym. i laughed when you shared your story about your DH. i know that one, too! (although now my DH does take care of finley quite often, almost as much as me, but before...)

kaspirant, good luck with the big move!!! can't wait to come over and help unpack and play. i'm glad you took the day off today, and hope you can survive this next month, til you're done. hooray! and what a powerful letter to your mom...

speaking of weight, my contribution to the weight/body image conversation...i don't know where to start, but i, too, like most women in this country, have had my fair share of issues. my mom is teeny tiny, and i felt huge next to her, as i got older. now i realize i am and always have been pretty small, but next to her, i felt big, and she didn't help, jokingly calling me "helga". my SIL is also teeny tiny, like my mom (they are 5'2" and small boned and probably weigh 105 each). i have always had this battle, trying to lose weight, look better, thinner, etc...and have, in the past, been pretty unhealthy about it, a start that began at home, with my mom buying mostly fake "fat free" foods, etc, and my dad asking me one question each day, and only that one question: "did you work out today?" i remember finally, after months of this, breaking down and asking, is that all you care about?? what about what else i did with my day? (and if i said yes, he asked what, specifically, i did. if i said no, he'd go back to watching the game or doing his dictation).

i think i FINALLY have a healthy attitude, actions, and perspective on my body and weight and food and exercise now that i have finley. it started once i moved out and didn't have the weird tension or pressure with my parents in my face and on a daily basis. i started to learn more about real, healthy eating. but i still struggled. but, then, i became pregnant, and i dove into very healthy eating, since suddenly it had to be about health, and not how skinny i was. it was about growing and nourishing my baby. i ate vegetables, i ate well. after finley was born, the weight fell off, mostly...i still had a few extra pounds until he was about seven months old. it fell off, luckily, with no effort on my part. i was, of course, breastfeeding constantly, and then, i lived in new york city, so i was walking (and slinging) everywhere, a LOT of the time. and i continued to eat well, and learn, and eat real food, both for myself and finley. and now, i am not walking like i used to, but i am doing yoga more regularly, and i am doing it because i love it, and i FEEL so good when i do it. and i feel so much better when i am strong and agile. i should probably exercise more. and (nothing against people who go to the gym), but i love that i don't go anymore. i used to go five times a week and obsessively work out for so long, killing myself, and being so concerned with my body. and it's funny, now i don't, and i look and feel better than ever before! i don't know exactly why, but i think a lot of it has to do with my eating, and i think i am getting more exercise in my regular living, as i'm not a student (sitting and studying all day), but am an active woman in my daily stuff...

so anyway, thanks to finley, i am coming to a much better place.

i still face weirdness with my parents (of course), but now i really laugh at it, and it doesn't get to me that much. (this past trip, my mom said i couldn't gain an OUNCE if i got a certain dress, and one of the first things she said, in response to my getting a role on tv, was that the pressure was on (for me to be skinny), cause everyone is so tiny in this world, and the camera adds weight). UGH. i look forward to (hopefully) being a model of another woman on tv/movies with a more normal body. (i do wear a 2/4, but am very curvy, unlike most "hollywood" actresses).

so, there's my long, messy ramble on weight.

it's been a priviledge to be part of this conversation, and i'm so glad to see all of us working with our issues and trying to move on, in an adult way, move past the pains of our past, and live a healthy life.

my goal for this year, in terms of my body, is to do yoga even more consistently and to eat more nutritiously, to continue to learn about the best ways to eat, and to not let the hollywood image/standard get to me, to continue to embrace my own curves and body, as real and womanly as it is.

by the way, this is completely anti-climactic, but i feel like sharing which show i am on.
i was paranoid a lurker might see it, and tell someone who shouldn't know, as it shouldn't be "out and about", because it could reveal future storylines, but at the moment, i'm over that paranoia, and it should air soon-ish, though who knows, now, with the strike.
but anyway, i am going to be on the show "dirty sexy money", which is on abc. i find it to be quite a riot that this is the show i'm going to be on, seeing as how "dirty" and "sexy" and full of "money" i am , but it'll be fun!
i've done one episode, and should have several more after the strike. my one episode was very tiny...i only have two lines, and am probably on screen for about three seconds...but, still, it's a beginning, and it was a blast. i got to "work" with donald sutherland all day (we weren't in the scene together...i enter right after he exits), but, regardless, it was loads of fun.

finley is sleeping early these days, as he seems to be skipping his nap more and more often. anyone else??

sorry that was so long.

off to scratch more to-do's off my new year's list!
#27 of 303 Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

barcelona, shut up you are going to be on dirty sexy money???? OMG I'm going to die. You HAVE to tell me when it's going to air. I can't imagine keeping something like that quiet, I would positively burst.

I don't think we're going to conceive a baby 6 weeks after our wedding. My cycles are SO effing wonky it's ridiculous. I had 7 days of post O-like temps in the 97.5+ range and suddenly the last 2 days it's been more like 96.8 and yet AF is not showing up either. I am over it and can only assume it is the wisdom of my body that I need a bigger break between babies this time. Which I am coming to peace with even though there is that crazy nagging voice in the back of my head that really wants another baby right now.

I find it odd that people ask me what married life is like. It is exactly like my previous life. Nothing has changed except that we now get mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. which is totally cute and makes me like this guy
#28 of 303 Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 AM

I'm just selfishly posting without any personal messages, since I need to get to bed. But I love you all

My New Year's resolutions:
Read one novel every month
Enter and finish a race by the end of the summer
Learn how to can
Find a new job!
Find a happy balance with our income/spending/lifestyle

And for January:
Update my resume
Find my thermometer and start monitoring my cycles again.

I may be joining the TTC in 08 team. Probably later in the year, since you may notice the find a new job resolution- we're planning to move back to Canada when DH graduates in the Spring.

Next time I promise a less self-absorbed post....

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#29 of 303 Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
NOTHING occupies all my thoughts anymore. Fragmented doesn't begin to describe. And I could totally picture myself not worrying about all the details like what needs to be done. There are some small diapers around here somewhere...I've got plenty of towels ...the boobs still work...I'm a pro at slinging...what else is there again?
This is SO where I'm at right now!!!

barcelona - yes! tell us when it airs!!! I want to see it! How exciting!

So I've finally started a blog. Nothing fancy, just a place to record my thoughts, contemplations, and day to day happenings. I wrote an email to a mama the other day, a sort of year in review update, and realized how much had happened last year that I didn't record. At 27, I think I'm finally getting to the "age" where you start realizing how quickly life passes by. And since I can't keep a journal IRL (except for writing entries when I'm really frustrated and need to sort things out), and since I'm online waayyy too much, I figured what's the difference between writing a post here or on other boards or typing one out on my blog. It may be a while before I share the addy for it because I'm of sheepish about these sort of things. I want to feel like I can write whatever I want, and mainly anonymously so, until I feel comfortable enough to share.

ETA
QOC, your aunt is in my thoughts!!!
#30 of 303 Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Mel, you know what? Even if you do write self-obsessed posts (and I think this is the first time I've seen you do so) we love you anyway.

Monique, go on the blog I think you should join ravelry as well though, just to distract you further from the children and Real Life Incidentally, did you ever decide on a midwife or UC or ???

Gunter, I'm basically just sleeping all the time, except when I'm sitting still and wanting to go to sleep. Steve goes back to university on Monday, and I'm freaking out a bit about what I'm going to do without him. That bp/oedema scare really knocked the wind out of my sails- I don't know if it was a UTI or what, but I'm definitely feeling "cooked" now. Good luck with the money thing- the best decision we ever made was to downshift and move down here, even if we don't have the space we'd ideally like. We have family, and that's a big deal. (oh, and a kitchen. No paint, but :

Barcelona, I have absolutely no idea what dirty sexy money is, so I just hope that's what they're paying you Congratulations anyhow, it sounds glamorous. And sophisticated. And completely unrelated to MY life, complete with sticky fingerprints and all.

DiD, sod it, throw the thermometer away and just shag your husband senseless I have to say, I'm struggling to remember what sex was like in the days before I had a big fertile belly, and swollen super-sensitive boobs, or trying not to waste a drop because I might be ovulating some time this year, or anything.... part of me is seriously curious to remember what non-mummy sex is like. I'm sure I'll find out one of these days, but for now, just enjoy him

Queenie, I'll keep your family in my thoughts. I've lost a great-aunt to lung cancer, and most of my grandfathers/greatgrandfathers to lung disease, so I can sympathise. It's terrifying to watch, as well. to you all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page