August 05 Mamas - Happy 2008! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tehila's fever, Skana's sore throat, Fridgeart's family, Jeremy & Co's recent bout of illness....and puppy purgatory here and there? Wow. Lots of illness -- hoping next month is kinder to all.

Toothbrushing - I use a non-fluoride toothpaste for the kids. We all pile in the bathroom ((it took me a while to figure out that identical stepstools would eliminate sibling arguments, btw)) together and everyone gets paste on their brush. I brush while the kids mostly chew and bite on theirs, and then I rinse. Then, I brush Sarah's teeth. Then, I brush Adam's teeth. Then they both rinse with their cups - Adam has recently learned to spit, hallelujah - and then we all floss. Actually, I floss while the kids chew on their respective pieces. Then we toss the floss into the garbage and I use mouthwash. Kids beg for some. I deny and offer water. They take it.
.....Total time? About 8-10 minutes.
Twice a day.
Sometimes three times.
---Yeah, it's a big event at our house. All I have to do is call "Everyone in the bathroom for teeth!" and the kids go running.

Reading and letters - definitely no reading here yet, but Adam knows most of the alphabet on sight. I have about three alphabet puzzles, two sets of magnetic letters on lap-sized chalkboards & another set on the fridge, and new to the house: the M&D puzzle that talks to you when you put the letter in it's spot. "R Is For Rose!" the puzzle spouts --- and then you hear Adam in the next room, correcting it: "R is for Roast, like we put in the crock pot!" He corrects the letters that don't make much sense to him with words that he knows. It is actually really funny.

Numbers -- not so much. He can count to 12, but only has true conservation of number up to two. For example:
Me: "How many pens are here? Let's count. One, two, three...."
Adam: "Fourfivesixseveneightnineteneleventwelve!"
Me: "Four pens!"
Adam: "Eightnineteneleventwelve!"

We've been talking a lot about feelings here lately - big feelings, little feelings, how we feel when people talk to us nicely/not so nicely (for example, Adam to Sarah on occasion) -- and I got called out today.

Adam had scattered pieces of a puzzle all over the kitchen and I told him that it was his job to put the puzzle together while I unloaded the dishwasher. He dawdled, meandered, crawled around on the floor.

Fast forward after I had repeated my request, bent down to give him a brief hand, repeated my desire, and finally told him to Get Those Pieces Picked Up Please, Right Now: he looked at me quite seriously and said "Mama, I don't like it when you don't speak nicely to me. It hurts my feelings. My feelings are sad when you talk mean to me. Please ask me nicely."

I about lost it - I almost couldn't hide a smile - and we proceeded cooperatively from there with yet another discussion on feelings and another on Listening to Mama When We Work Together. It was good, but sometimes you wonder just how much is sinking in sometimes when you have responded to negative language for the 93rd time in 2 hours between the siblings...and then sometimes you know.

Love to all.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 AM

NM - thanks for all the additional info. No-pooing: All three of us girls have thick, very dry hair and we live in a very dry climate, so pooing is actually bad for us. Makes our hair frizzy and dry. I've actually never used any kind of product on A's hair - I just rub her scalp well once a week or so.

I'm feeling that strange pull of mommy-neglect hearing you all talk about numbers/letters/writing/reading. I did a lot of this with L (following her lead mostly) and it didn't help her at all (academically) and pretty much backfired on our relationship, so I'm not doing any of it with A. She knows "A is for Annabelle" since that is the title of a book that we have, and can recognize an "A", but that's it. She can count to 10 in English and French and I guess that's appropriate for a two.five year old. We'll see what happens when she starts school in the fall.

It's fun hearing about all the PLing going on. I think Emily or NM made a comment about "should have ECed". I hear this a lot! I cannot say enough about ECing and the benefits. Good thing MDC has a great EC forum. NM, I hope you have another little one some day soon to practice EC!

I'm feeling a lot better, especially since I realized that sugar is what is really making me sick. Emotionally, it's a different story. I'm feeling very hormonally unbalanced for the first time in my life, really (with the exception of pp with Lily), and I'm feeling really angry at the state of birth in this country, the strange and silly questions being asked in my 9/08 DDC and the things that women put themselves through in order to have a doc attend their birth. My goodness, don't get me started. Maybe a topic for TAO!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM

hopeful, i love your adam stories. he sounds like such an awesome kid!

kate, i was just reading a bit on waldorf-inspired education. i'll just quote, since i suck at summarizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnant feelings: developing trust in birth, by rahima balwin and terra palmarini richardson
...It is possible but unadvisable to speed up development in early childhood by teaching a child to read and write when he is three or four years old...this premature awakening of the intellect robs the child of other imaginative powers that form the wellspring for much creativity later in life...Hastening this growing up process robs the child of vitality and can result in an early loss of roundness of the body characteristic of a young child as well as premature aging of the emotions...

Allowing the child to stay in this magical world of early childhood is not detrimental to his or her cognitive development...

Children who wait until six or seven before beginning book work experience no difficulty in catching up with and excelling over children who have had years of reading or reading-readiness exercises...Reading really involves a decoding process. Once the light goes on and the child has discovered the key, he takes off.
not to say that we don't play with letters and numbers here quite a bit. as you said you did with l, you just followed her lead, more or less. laurel loves the alphabet. just thought the above info was interesting.

for lotion here's a little ayurvedic info-
if your typically a "hot" person (leader, lots of drive and determination, good finisher of projects, medium build and features, tendency to feel anger, experience heartburn) then it's a good idea to balance that with cooler oils - coconut or sunflower being two of the best for the skin. these oils are also great if you have a tendency to get red skin rashes or to use in the summer months.
if you are generally "cold" (cold extremities, dryness, thin build, narrow or small features, lots of projects - not such a great finisher of them, tendency to be scattered or experience anxiety) then sesame oil is best for the skin. it is warming and goes deep into the tissue layers for optimal nourishment. it's fantastic for dry skin and very nourishing to the nervous system as well.
if you are more "heavy" (not very cold or hot, supple skin, larger features, good worker - not very interested in leading but will finish any project assigned, tendency to carry excess weight, have sluggish digestion, experience lethargy and depression) then mustard oil is the best oil for the skin. sesame is good and warm, but too heavy. mustard is hot and light. safflower is also a nice light oil for this body type.
all of these oils are great to use all over the body on a daily basis. i keep mine in a bottle in the shower so it can warm up while i bathe. then i put it all over my skin while the water beads are still all over me so as better to spread the oil. then i brush teeth, etc. while i dry off. then i pat dry.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Jeremy, thanks for posting that wonderful information. I'm afraid I may have sounded critical and/or judgmental to all of you and your wonderful reading and writing kiddos. Not trying to be in the least, but my emotional gauge seems to be broken these days. Trying to get it in the shop so I can get back to being my even self. to all of you!

J - thanks also for the oil info. I'm sure we'll make the switch to oils when the lovely expensive lotions have run out!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
I'm feeling that strange pull of mommy-neglect hearing you all talk about numbers/letters/writing/reading.
Well, we're not working on any of that here, either. Henry was writing a few letters last fall but nothing now, really. He does ask about the words on the pages of the books we read. But honestly, we don't really even sing the alphabet song or work on counting with him (besides occasionally counting to ten). I'm not worried. I hope to unschool him so that kind of goes along with that philosophy.

What I have been doing is following his lead. If something interests him, I try to facilitate him learning more about it. For instance, his latest obsession is trains. We have a Brio/Thomas set, so he plays that a lot, but we've also checked out every single storybook about trains from the library. Together we've learned all about semaphores, roundhouses, cow catchers, etc. Also, I think there's an old-time steam engine you can take rides on somewhere around here, so in spring we're going to take Henry on a real train. Stuff like that makes learning seem like so much fun.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm afraid I may have sounded critical and/or judgmental to all of you and your wonderful reading and writing kiddos. Not trying to be in the least, but my emotional gauge seems to be broken these days. Trying to get it in the shop so I can get back to being my even self. to all of you!
I was afraid that I sounded like I was drilling Adam and force-feeding him literacy. I wanted to add tonight that that isn't the case...and to clarify that it is just...how I am. My world is reading, and letters and words. Quite honestly, if I could be employed researching the OED, I would, quite happily, for all of my days. Our house is full of books - the kids already have five full shelves of baby/toddler stuff and I have more, older stuff tucked away. My own shelves...a lot. In every room. It is just what I do - I love words, I love the sounds of them, I love the shapes and feel of them, I love what they do in sentences... and I just love playing with kids who have such an openness to them! Today we built a house using wooden letters. I have no intent to teach Adam to read - I don't recall my own mom "teaching" me - and she says she did not. But I also have no memory of a time where I did not know how to read - and I remember our days, lives, moments filled with books and words. It was good.

But a great big to you, Kate. The last thing I associate with you is mommy-neglect. That certainly wasn't what I was coming across with when I mentioned Adam's alphabet love.

///gotta go////Sarah waking up!
Good night!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM

We're a lot like your family, hopefulfaith-all readers/lovers of language. We haven't really pushed the reading thing, but letters have been one of E's obsessions since early on, probs because she always sees us reading/writing (DH is a writer, I am a teacher) all the time, and always wants to know what something says/means. Really we just follow her lead. At the moment her two obsessions are letters/numbers and babies-so we do a lot of reading and baby role play! Good practice, I suppose.
For me, I don't ever remember not being able to read-and it wasn't because my mom was a literacy nazi-I think I was just wired that way-much like E.
The only agenda we'll "push" on E (cause as a teacher, believe me, I have had my share of dealing with pushy parents), is vegetarianism/compassion for all animals Other than that, everything is for her to discover, digest, and make her own mind up about.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I may have sounded critical and/or judgmental to all of you and your wonderful reading and writing kiddos. Not trying to be in the least, but my emotional gauge seems to be broken these days. Trying to get it in the shop so I can get back to being my even self. to all of you!
not at all
and my emotional gauge was fried all through this past pregnancy...barely getting it back to normal now, but think the placenta caps are helping!
i love that everyone here has their own parenting styles and everyone is respectful of each others individuality and uniqueness in that arena

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 01-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I feel like I've been so neglectful of things lately. I'm keeping up with the house but I haven't updated my blog or taken any photos in forever. I think the cold weather slows me down. I keep looking at spring/summer clothes online and wishing I could be fashionable right now! Just not an option when I'm FREEZING even dressed in multiple layers.
:Yes, why are winter clothes so...blecky? I never feel fashionable in a fleece and jeans with thick socks and long johns on, but I occasionally feel warm.

The 5-element Chinese medical folks say winter is a time for being slow and resting up for the energy of the spring. With that in mind, I say feel good about being slow. Rest up and relax for the coming spring. The plants do it! The animals do it!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
laurel likes to draw a bunch of little symbols and then tell me what letters they represent. they mostly look like little circles. she is very interested in numbers and letters as well right now. she'll tell me the letter she wants to see, i draw it out, and she makes a little circle and tells me it's that letter. it's very cute. also, she counts to 16 now and then says "eleventeen". i've tried to explain, but she doesn't care in the least so i'm letting her have her eleventeen .
what an adorable story! O also started out drawing O's. She loved the letter O and would find them in the coils of electrical wire strung between houses, on trucks and so on. She still loves "o" and I don't know if it's because that's how her name starts or what.

When you write the letter, she is learning. I figured out that's why O wants me to color. She watched us color in her coloring books over and over and over. I got so bored! Then, one day, O started coloring mostly inside the lines instead lines all over (like she used to). DH pointed out that she had wanted us to color so she could learn how to do it, and I was astonished.

Yay for toddlers!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for inexpensive, natural solutions for lotion, face washing, hair conditioning (we don't use shampoo here), shaving and moisturizer. NM, I know you use raw honey on your face. Where do you get it?
TIA.
Inexpensive is the hard part. Like New Mama, I use Avalon for hair. For soap, I use Dr. Bronner's castile. For cleaning, we use vinegar and baking soda...For lotions, I buy royal jelly lotion from Burt's Bees and also use their brand for some lip color. I've also use the Burt's Bees carrot lotion, which bothered my skin but works great for my mother. Other than lip color, I don't use makeup.

We use toxic yucky nail polish from time to time. I'd love to find "good" nail polish.

I use a completely expensive bubble bath for O from California Baby -- no SLSs.

Could you tell me how you use vinegar to clean your clothes??

New mama and KtMama, Would you share what you use for wipes in place of paper towels? I'm having a hard time getting DH to convert completely to cloth.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
What I have been doing is following his lead. If something interests him, I try to facilitate him learning more about it. For instance, his latest obsession is trains. We have a Brio/Thomas set, so he plays that a lot, but we've also checked out every single storybook about trains from the library. Together we've learned all about semaphores, roundhouses, cow catchers, etc. Also, I think there's an old-time steam engine you can take rides on somewhere around here, so in spring we're going to take Henry on a real train. Stuff like that makes learning seem like so much fun.
That's what I do, too. We're not 'working on' writing. She just does it and is interested in it, so we follow her lead.

It's interesting that people assume we're pushing O if I say she's reading or writing. If I said she was interested in the solar system or trains, people would probably not say that. I wonder what the difference is in the minds of people in our culture that makes them think we are "pushing" O if I mention she's reading or writing. All it makes me do is hide her milestones from them.

Like when we went to the doc for 18-month appt, and the doc asked if O knew some letters. I said she knew the whole alphabet and the doc looked at me like I was nuts. So then she asked O the letters on the beads on her stethoscope, and O said all of the colors, too. I'm not around a lot of other kids, so I did not know that was out of the ordinary until I went home and looked up toddler developmental milestones.

I think kids have all diff timelines. O does not seem too interested in going potty. Am I a bad or neglectful mother because she's not potty trained? I don't think so. Just like KTMama is not a bad mama if her daughter doesn't spell.

O has had some poop trauma, so I'm not pushing PL. Also, she does not want to walk up or down stairs without my hand. Some other kids do that but O is very careful and would rather hold my hand than fall down and get hurt. I flow with her nature. I don't care if she can't walk up and down the stairs yet 100% by herself.

My plan is to love her and follow what she does and let her explore and learn as she wishes.

We're also hoping to unschool. My IRL mother's group starting an unschool preschool that we're all pretty excited about. And I hope to save enough $ that I can stay home and unschool in the future. We shall see!

to all!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Henhao, FWIW I didn't think you were pushing O. at all. Ever since I heard that she was saying "helicopter" before Henry was even talking much at all I've been waiting for more amazing O. stories.

For cloth wipes I use cut-up old t-shirts. I can't/don't sew, so I wanted something that wouldn't fray. I know you can actually buy nice cloth TP, but I didn't want to invest the money if I wasn't going to like it. Plus, I mean, it doesn't get the most glamorous of uses.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
I'm feeling that strange pull of mommy-neglect hearing you all talk about numbers/letters/writing/reading. I did a lot of this with L (following her lead mostly) and it didn't help her at all (academically) and pretty much backfired on our relationship, so I'm not doing any of it with A. She knows "A is for Annabelle" since that is the title of a book that we have, and can recognize an "A", but that's it. She can count to 10 in English and French and I guess that's appropriate for a two.five year old. We'll see what happens when she starts school in the fall.
I have a take on the mommy neglect thing. I was all into totally not pushing my kids at all. I mean if they were led to draw on paper, then that was great; if they wanted to color a picture I would praise them by saying "oh, I like how you used red and made x"; I never 'made' them color in the lines, write letters, or anything of that vein. I was so laid back that I was sleeping.

My Rashi who turned 6 in August (kindergarten) is WAY behind. Not a little, a TON. he has poor fine motor skills, poor pre-reading skills (doesn't recognize letters, just learned to count), poor social skills. You name it, he has a problem

If only I had pushed him. If only I had had a different way of thinking. I think that maybe he would have had a fighting chance in school. I already have held him bback a year - he should have been in first grade. I'm scrambling today to meet his needs and I'm losing fast. He needs OT and speech (he was delayed from the get go with speech and hypotonic (not sure if that's quite the right word, but it'll do)) as well as social skills help, and help with reading two alphabets.

So, today with the twins I am going to try and try and try to help them be where they should be. Unfortunately, since I don't have help I don't get to spend the time I want doing the activities I want with my kids. I'm always spending my time cleaning up disasters. The twins, I think, may already know some of their colors - which is miles ahead of where my other kids were at this age. We also sing the abc song - also a new thing for me. I'm encouraging them to draw, and to make shapes. when it comes to coloring, I'm going to teach them to color in the lines because that's what all the kids are EXPECTED to be able to do - whether it conforms with my beliefs or not. Maybe I was wrong for all of those years. I'm trying it differently now.

In any case, I thought I'd share a few pictures of the twins...
This is Tehila
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/IMG_0841.jpg
This is Gedalya
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/IMG_0840.jpg
here they are tandem nursing
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/IMG_0865.jpg
another of them holding hands
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/IMG_0866.jpg
Why not... I'll show you me too
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/IMG_0867.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...leeping006.jpg

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM

Wow, so much to respond too. I haven't been here to read the posts in a week or two, I think.
First, Congrats Jeremy and family and welcome baby Faith. I LOVE the picture of your family in the birthing tub Jeremy. It is so awesome.
Tracy, peaceful birthing vibes your way. When is your EDD? I know you are getting closer.
I just found out that three of my close friends are pregnant and it is really fueling the " i want a thirs child " fire. I am so sure and so not sure about it in equal amounts. It is driving me nuts!! I wish I could just make a decision or that one would be made for me, if you know what I mean!!

About terrible 2's, we have good days and not so good days. Emmett is fairly mellow, but I am getting prepared for the 3's. That was WAY harder for me than the 2s. Emmett gets really angry sometimes, like when we have to leave a place, but he doesnt tantrum. I talk to him about his feelings and it seems when i validate those feelings, he quiets down and mellows out. My 4 year old is actually harder most days. He is very sensitive, which I love, but it makes life trickier for him right now. To be a boy and be that sensitive throws people off sometimes. Not me, but others. I wouldn't never trade it for anything though. I love that DS1 cries when things are sad for him and has a wide range of emotions. He is amazing.

As far as learning and alphabets and stuff, E knows his too . I think part of that is due to having an older brother too and wanting to keep up. DS 1 is starting to read and E wants to be a part of it. Emmett also can write some letters and I am so not the flash card momma. We are homeschooling, and leaning toward the unschooling side of things too. Amazing how many of us are going to homeschool. We just might have this August 2005 chat group forever, eh?? We have lots to share.

More later.
- Kerri
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM

Rivka~ I love your photos. Especially of the twins nursing together. They are absolutely adorable. *sniff* I miss nursing C.

I too am a passive teacher to both of my kids. I just kind of "teach" in passing. For instance, I just say, "wow! look at that big green garbage truck." and stuff like that. I tend to just follow their lead; my 5yr. old is beginning to read. All on her own. She is asking what letters sound like and such. I don't feel that pushing them helps accelerate their skills. In fact, I was pushed at 5 to be a reader and didn't actually read on my own until I was almost 7 because of the intense pressure to do it. That's just my $.02 though.

Kerri~ I hear (or heard ) you about the #3 dilema. We were thinking, well maybe we'll try next summer and if it happens, great. If not, oh well. But, then tah-dah! #3 made its way into our lives a little sooner. I'm actually not so nervous about having 3, I feel I'm already broken in to somebody needing something most of the time; so what's one more? good luck with that decision.

Jeremy~ Thanks for posting that oils info. Interesting stuff.

Kate~ I too am feeling kind of "off kilter" this pregnancy. Way more than my previous 2. I'm not really sure why. Thankfully I have dear friends and my dh to tell me when I'm being a little irrational or too sensitive. Which really helps me keep perspective.

Have a nice weekend, mamas.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 PM

hi august '05 mamas. I haven't been around this forum much but I have an Aug 05 DD. Hope all has been well with everyone and the toddlers are growing well. Mine is doing great except for the potty learning... this is not a good thing apparently.

Its nice to see all the TTC and babies on the way. We have a june 07 baby here too. We'd decided not to have anymore after our 2, a boy and a girl, but now I'm getting babylust. You know, that my babies are growing up and I won't have anymore depression. I want so badly to birth and breastfeed again once this one weans. Its sad to think it's almost over.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittneyscott View Post
now I'm getting babylust. You know, that my babies are growing up and I won't have anymore depression.
Feeling it. I know in my heart of hearts that two is the right number for us - so much so that dh has been to the doctor and I've given away everything that Sarah has outgrown. But this week, I sold my breastpump and all of the accessories (bottles, storage bags, etc.).

I was good to go, but when I put my cloth nursing pads into the box, that was kind of bittersweet for me. I loved nursing an infant.

Nursing a toddler has its own rewards, but nursing an infant is...just the best. Falling in love every two hours will always be special.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

And Rivka, I love your photos - especially of G and T nursing together! You rock, mama.

Also, mamas, I feel like I sort of started something here - all of us now explaining how we are or are not leading our children into letters and learning alphabets and such, and what we are doing or should be doing and such - and I just wanted to say - well, I am not really sure...except that I didn't mean to make us all defend our own individual styles. I am glad we can all talk like this and differ in our approaches and still be mdc friends.

Oh, and one more thing tonight -- watercolors stain. It's true. One breaks out that little innocuous box of colors and hands out the brushes and the water...and one figures since you mix water with it, it must be harmless. Wrong. One might also spend the rest of the day working on stain removal from one's son's favorite train shirt. Nice.

Love to all.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 AM

My Aug 05 mamas! I missed you guys!! I feel like I have been neglecting you guys. I have been so so tired lately and I haven't been keeping in touch with MDC and any of my friends...hope you all forgive me.

OMGoodness !! Just as I am typing this...C walks in the room asking me to go to sleep with him again. Mind you I already did this tonight at 7pm and 10pm...it is now 11:10. I put him to sleep more often than my baby J!! Lately it's just been non stop for me from 7:30am til 10:00pm, then wakes up at 12am, then 4:30am, then 7:30 again. If it's not Justin then it's Christopher. One get up when I put the other down (!!!!!) I think part of it is my fault...I have trained Christopher to sleep while breastfeeding...

I am having difficulties doing other activities right now too that is not baby oriented. I love them I really do...but isn't my free time important too? I seriously just want to read, study something, type this post, check my email, write an email, talk on the phone, sew/knit, scrapbook, gym? without interruptions.

Seriously does every mom feel this way? It just seems like everyone gets a break but me.. What about those working moms, or student moms? How do you fit in work or studying or reading?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
hey mamas! sorry it took so long to get back on here, but the day after the birth we all came down with the plague. blech. so the babymoon has been, umm, different, than we had planned. but, setting us aside for a moment....

she's beautiful and healthy and perfectly perfect!!! and she's a she! we so thought she was a boy - and then we looked, and holy moley - it's a girl! yay yay hooray!

faith ann was born into the water, into her dada's hands, with her eyes wide open. she was 8lbs 8oz, born on 1/13 at 1:13 pm. i'll link my birth story for anyone who might be interested.

faith, second day of life
faith with dada and big sister
the family and the midwife, moments after the birth
Congratulations mama!!! She's beautiful!! I love your pictures!! Enjoy your babymoon....the baby stage passes soooo fast! my J is 9 1/2 months and he can stand up for about 15 sec now...I can't believe it!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
Oh, and one more thing tonight -- watercolors stain. It's true. One breaks out that little innocuous box of colors and hands out the brushes and the water...and one figures since you mix water with it, it must be harmless. Wrong. One might also spend the rest of the day working on stain removal from one's son's favorite train shirt. Nice.
Thanks for the PSA. We actually have an old watercolor set in with Henry's drawing stuff, but I don't he knows what it's for and I've never shown him. Just not one of those messy, anything-goes kind of moms, I'm afraid.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 PM

hey mamas!

nonny, i hear you about really needing personal time. i remember feeling like i was freaking out when laurel was about 6 months. i really needed to rejuvenate with some me time. dh got me a membership to the gym, but then he works constantly so i only ever got to go when laurel's godfather was in town for a month. and then, i got out for an hour once a week. it was crucial time, but i definitely could have used more. when laurel turned one it seemed like a big turning point. she was able to self-entertain a bit more. now i can tell her that it's time to go play with her toys and she'll head into her room to play for awhile. very helpful.
as much as i was super excited to have faith, an amazing blessing to our family, that part (no personal time, etc) was a bit overwhelming for me to remember and realize i'll be going through it all over again. but infancy and early childhood is a precious time and short-lived, so i'm trying to focus on the wonder and beauty and blessing of it all. hard when you need a break, i know. (personally, i'm really hoping my placenta caps help shift my outlook and keep my hormones in check.)
also, i've got laurel into a wonderful waldorf-inspired childcare 2 days a week, starting in feb. this should help her have her own personal time, as well as give me a bit of a break. i know how you feel about daycare, though, but maybe you can check out a bunch of different ones and one may seem perfect? or you might be able to hire someone to come over while you're home to play with the kids so you can slip off to another part of your house for some personal time? you may even be able to trade this with another local mama. what about your relatives?
don't know, but here's really hoping you can get a break. when we realize we undeniably need one it's usually long past due.

rivka, i loved your photos! thanks for sharing!

hopeful, you mentioned cloth nursing pads. i need to find mine. and a bra or two. i'm a leaky faucet over here and i think my necessities in that area are hiding in our schoolbus somewhere. good thing i'm not leaving my house for another 2 weeks .

Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Nonny, hugs to you. I personally don't know what I'd do without my YMCA membership and their free childcare. I'm there three/four days a week for an hour and it helps so much. I also do a trade with another AP mom so I get a break by myself for 90 minutes every other week. Of course, dh helps on the weekends (I'm going to Home Depot by myself tomorrow to get some supplies to build some bookshelves!), but I get where you're at because, really, the kids are my responsibility and I rarely get "me" time unless I ask for it. When my baby comes in September, A will have started preschool four 1/2 days a week. I know that's what I'll need to be the best mom I can be and for A to get what she needs too.

Rivka, I love, love your pics. Oh, the eyes! You're adorable too, mama.

Deb, for cloth we use cut up old t-shirts of dh for cloth wipes too and micro-fiber cloths for cleaning, wiping counters, etc. I got mine from Freecycle, but I've seen them at Costco too. Not the best looking things (they're NEON yellow, but WTH. People use them for cleaning cars because they're super-absorbent. Oh, you can also use them for dipe doublers. We also use cloth napkins and I've bought some and made some. I get material for $1 a yard on sale and can sew four napkins per yard of cloth. HTH.

I so appreciate all of your understanding and I do think this is the perfect place to brag about our sooooo special kiddos and also get a reality check. So, just as I'm feeling super awful about my average kid, she draws a person the other day, complete with a face, legs and shoes. Our children really are our greatest teachers, aren't they?

Peace!

Old 01-26-2008, 11:47 PM

ktmama.
you totally summed it up right there. We have special kids- all of them and they all have their gifts and amaze us every day. It is really great being a parent and being witness to the wonder
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Sorry, Deb, you also asked about using vinegar in the laundry. I use b/s in the soap "box" and put 1/4 c or so of vinegar into the place for the bleach. Then I add a few drops of lavender oil to that for disinfecting. HTH.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post
Seriously does every mom feel this way? It just seems like everyone gets a break but me.. What about those working moms, or student moms? How do you fit in work or studying or reading?
Sorry you are having a hard time. I don't have any good answers. It's just hard.

I work FT (more than FT actually) and have nearly no free time. I wake up, play with Olive for a few hours, go to work, come home, play with Olive, put her to bed if it's my turn and wash dishes if it isn't. Then, if I'm not too exhausted, I read a little or do work for my freelance clients.

And that is my day nearly every day.

O is napping less, too, which has me worried. I really need that little mid-day break on the weekends to get through the day!

I don't know how you mamas with two or more do it. You amaze me!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 PM

((HUGS)) Nonny. Last night DH, Henry and I went out to eat with our neighbors and they were telling us about the case the husband (an attorney) is working on regarding unions, which started a whole discussion about unions in general. I said, "What about SAHM's?" and the husband laughed and said, "Yes! You should be getting breaks, time off, etc." It's truly a 24/7 job.

I've found that if I want "me" time I have to ask for it and make it happen. Lately I've been telling my husband that when he gets home from work I'm going upstairs to take a bath. By myself. With the door closed. With (hopefully) no little boy twisting the doorknob from the outside, begging to come in. The other day when DH came home from work early I ran to Starbucks for a venti cafe mocha, then came home and took an epsom-salt/lavender bath. It was heaven.

I'm so glad my DH isn't a workaholic. I don't know how moms who are single or army wives or whose DH's work all the time do it.

Wow, drawing a whole person! That's really incredible. That reminds me that just today Henry was chattering to himself (he talks CONSTANTLY -- which if you knew me you would find pretty funny, because I'm sort of quiet) and I caught him saying the last part of the alphabet. I didn't know he knew any of the alphabet in order! I kind of get the feeling that he knows more than we realize.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Henhao, FWIW I didn't think you were pushing O. at all. Ever since I heard that she was saying "helicopter" before Henry was even talking much at all I've been waiting for more amazing O. stories.
Thank you, sweetie.

Someone said they teach in passing. That is how I am, too. O never, ever stops talking unless she's really tired and zoning out in the car.

We took our first Spanish class today. I grew up in an area with lots of diplomats and never liked being the only one of my friends to know only one language. So, I want to help O have the choice to be bilingual. She was a bit freaked by the class, but I think she enjoys learning Spanish words. The class was a bit loud, and she's always freaked a little in environments like that.

We're also taking a music class. I've never taken scheduled classes with with her before, and I thought it might be good in order to get me out of the house and seeing people. I tend towards being a homebody otherwise.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I so appreciate all of your understanding and I do think this is the perfect place to brag about our sooooo special kiddos and also get a reality check. So, just as I'm feeling super awful about my average kid, she draws a person the other day, complete with a face, legs and shoes. Our children really are our greatest teachers, aren't they?
Super cool! They are the best teachers. When I need to learn a lesson in life, I do find O tends to teach me it in some unexpected way.

Lots of love,
hh

User Tag List