August 05 Mamas - Happy 2008! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year, wonderful mamas!

Here's to a wonderful year - of loving our 2 year olds and welcoming more children into our bunch!! : :

...and some special love to all of you from me, as this is my post on MDC and I think most of them have been here with you! Thank you all for the support and love. It has made me a better person and parent to be here with all of you.

Love to all!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#2 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
Happy New Year, wonderful mamas!

Here's to a wonderful year - of loving our 2 year olds and welcoming more children into our bunch!! : :

...and some special love to all of you from me, as this is my post on MDC and I think most of them have been here with you! Thank you all for the support and love. It has made me a better person and parent to be here with all of you.

Love to all!
Aww...sniff, sniff. Right back at ya.

I was in bed by 10pm last night (and up before 6am this morning -- not by choice). Anyone else?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#3 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Hi all! I was in bed around 11:30 last night,but laid around this morning til 9- of course I'm nursing all night long.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#4 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM

hey mamas!!! HAPPY 2008!!

Last night I put the boys to sleep around 8pm and "napped" with them till 10pm, got up cause I was REALLY thirsty and stayed up with DH to watch Dick Clarks Rocking eve on ABC. We shared an apple sparkling cider. Went to sleep around 1am and got up around 7:30am this morning.

Here's to another year with my wonderful mamas!
#5 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Happy New Year everyone!
#6 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM

:confetti Happy 2008 Mamas! :confetti

Yesterday we lit our sparklers at 8 pm, then came in for snacks and card/board games until 10 when we celebrated the new year. All with "cheers" with sparkling apple pommegranete juice! Cheyne then went to bed and the eldest and I stayed up with crackers and cheese and turkey-pepperoni in my bed (picnic style) until 12:30. We had a blast hanging out together. We got up and watched the fireworks in the neighborhood out the window. It was a fantastic NYE.

I hope you all had a wonderful NYE as well.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#7 of 114 Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikva18 View Post
Hi all! I was in bed around 11:30 last night,but laid around this morning til 9- of course I'm nursing all night long.
Haha - me too! :

Today we're doing a bit of decluttering and a bit of relaxing

As per Kiernen's request, I made banana muffins (gluten and refined sugar-free( we use maple syrup, grade b)) this morning. Then we ate them while reading, "If you give a Moose a Muffin" (of course!):
#8 of 114 Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM

I haven't been on much lately, but I wanted to pop in and say hi! I manage to check in every once in a while but work has been crazy lately, and I never seem to have time to respond. I can't believe how soon riverundine is due, and all the goings on!
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays-it has been a really nice change of pace around here. I have just over two weeks off from teaching, and it's been nice kicking around at home with E and taking it easy...well, as easy as you can with a 2.5 year old. It's non-stop, but such an amazing time-so many cool developments.

Cheers and all the best for 2008!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#9 of 114 Old 01-02-2008, 07:01 PM

Happy New Year!
We went to first night in St Johnsbury, VT and saw a magician, a juggler, and a group of breakdancers. Good fun. We were back by 8pm, put the kiddos to bed and then I stayed up with DH until 1 am. OMG. I never stay up that late. I am paying for it still!

I hope this year brings health and happiness to everyone. Ok, a few more babies sounds awesome too.

Love you guys:
#10 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Fridgeart! Fridgeart! Fridgeart!
You are pregnant, too!
Yippee!!!
Congratulations ~~ did I totally miss this last month?!?!? Or did you post about it? Maybe you did - I'm too tired to check tonight ... but my eyes bugged out at seeing your signature tonight, and I am so happy for you.

Is anyone else's child doing this? This cracks me up: Adam is giving me the answers/conversation he wants to have with me. For example:

Adam: "Mama, can I use your mixer?"
Me: "Hmmmmm." (considering this)
Adam: "Okay, you may use the mixer. ((then, different tone)) Thanks, Mama." (and jumps up to go to the counter)

He'll do two different voices for us. And he's totally serious - he is very earnest in his request and dead straightfaced when he "replies" for me. And he says "Okay" in a totally bright, happy voice when he answers for me.

I'm glad everyone had a good NYE - I was definitely in the bed by 10pm camp. Someday my children will sleep through the night, but until they stop tag-teaming me....to bed I go.

'Night, everyone.

#11 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 AM

Happy 2008 Mamas!

We've had some family drama here with two new baby boys born to my sister on the 30th and my niece on the 31st - one via c-section. I cannot describe my horror in hearing about not only the c-section (totally elective and baby NOT in danger), but the "normal" hospital birth my sis had. OK, I won't say too much - I know some of you have chosen to birth in hospital, but these stories just reinforce my decision to homebirth (and leave my baby intact, BTW)! Oh, and the names of these two little ones. I won't type them here because you will think I don't know how to spell! Thanks for letting me vent.

So, I've been up the last two nights sewing this:
http://missgioia.com/2007/03/patchwo...-tutorial.html

for my niece's baby who I get to meet this weekend. I made it it teal, brown and cream and it is CUTE! My mom is coming this weekend for a long visit, so I'm excited to see her and hold the new baby.

Speaking of babies, I am showing already! I can't believe it! I'm trying to keep it a secret for a bit longer so these new mamas can have their moment in the sun, but it will be hard to do. Any creative ideas? I'm feeling great - not sick at all and have tons of energy. Actually, I'm having some insomnia. Does the time of my post tell you anything?

Annabelle is really a doll lately. Emily, I laughed at your story about Adam, because all of a sudden, A loves to say "OK" and it's making her very agreeable! She is talking more and more and giving long and convoluted explanations and stories and then LAUGHING! hahahahahahahah! Her favorite song these days is Frocky Snowman.

NM, she loves looking at your holiday card and saying "Rihen" with a little smirk on her face, knowing that I will say, "No, that's Henry". So today when she pointed at him and said, "Rihen", I said, "Yes, that's Rihen" and she said, "No mama! That's Henry!" Then she rolled her eyes.

Here are some new smilies I love:
: : : : : : : :

Congrats Fridgeart! :

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#12 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM

Hello- I am August 05 Mom, and since I am addicted to MDC while I nurse my newborn a million times a day, I figured I'd join. We have a lot of catching up to do.

My August 05 baby is Grace. She is OMG I almost told you how old she is....DUHHHH. She's August 28th.

Does anyone else think "terrible 2" is BS. I really think 4 is way more terrible than 2. My 2's have always been angelic. Except for my 11 yr old who has never EVER been angelic. OK she spends about 20 minutes a day being angelic. Usually when she's apologizing for being... not so angelic.

Congratulations new mammas and also congratulations to those who are expecting new babies.

I wanna make a padded cube, what fun. It sounds like the perfect way to use up these decorator fabric swatches someone gave me. "Oh, you're crafty... here's a box of random crap you might be able to do something with.." Sewing is new to me, though- this project looks easy enough.

Nice to meet you all. Happy new year.
#13 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Oh, and the names of these two little ones. I won't type them here because you will think I don't know how to spell!
Okay, now I'm dying to know!

Welcome, Lisa!

#14 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
Except for my 11 yr old who has never EVER been angelic. OK she spends about 20 minutes a day being angelic. Usually when she's apologizing for being... not so angelic.

Hi, nice to meet you. Say, do we have related kids? My new 12 yr old is about the same, only he doesn't apologize with words...(his apologies are prettygood- he gives great back massages)
And now are you ready to be asked myriads of questions as you have more kids than I? I hereby annoint you the resident expert

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
#15 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 08:39 PM

welcome Lisa! I agree with tikva, you are now the resident expert! wow 6 daughters! About the terrible two's, I don't like that name but I do think this stage is very tough on my patience, thanks to my DS1. He's very spirited, very demanding and wants my attention 24/7. So in my house, I hope the two's stage will be over soon! But then again I think it has A LOT to do with the fact that I have a 9 month old to take care of too.

My poor Christopher has a little cold now (again), probably got it from an indoor playground. There should be a law that saids, "If your child is sick, don't take him/her out in public where there's other kids to contaminate." : I hate seeing my kids sick, when C is sick, he just pukes and doesn't sleep very well (wakes up every 2 hrs). So right now my eyes are hurting from lack of sleep... I think my tear duct area is swollen or something...it just hurts.

I am loving all the new pregnancies and soon to be new arrivals. Keep us updated on everything!
#16 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Lisa, welcome. You have a beautiful family...I have baby lust!

Fridgeart, congratulations! I'm so happy for our little group, making more babies.

Kate, DH's niece is due with her first in March and I just KNOW I'm going to have to keep my mouth shut. It's going to kill me. I too want to hear the names! Spill it! And I love that Henry is discussed in your home.

Nonny, sorry Christopher is sick. Hope you get some sleep soon. I don't know how you mamas of more than one do it.

Emily, we have a similar routine over here. DH cracks up because for a while now Henry will ask to nurse (which he calls "ess"). It goes like this:

Henry: Ess! Ess!
Me: Eh-ess? (said in a puh-leese sort of way)
Henry: Aw-wight!

I think he caught on to the fact that I usually make a big show of not wanting to, but then I cave and say, "Alright." So now he just cuts to the chase for me. If he's really jonesing he skips me altogether: "Ess! Aw-wight!"

In other news, Henry peed in the potty seat for the first time tonight. Later we also found pee on a book and the rug. Sigh. Really wishing I'd followed through on EC'ing two years ago...

#17 of 114 Old 01-03-2008, 11:59 PM

OK, hopefully you mamas know me well enough by now to know that, while I may be opinionated, I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. The funniest thing about these names is that the name my sister picked:

BECKETT

was actually the name that my niece picked (what are the odds?) and so she had to name her son:

JACOBY

Future playground interactions do not look good for these two. Now, my sincere apologies to anyone with a child named Beckett or Jacoby or anyone who favors these names. Some things just don't fall right on my ears.

Love to all!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#18 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
OK, hopefully you mamas know me well enough by now to know that, while I may be opinionated, I would never intentionally hurt someone's feelings. The funniest thing about these names is that the name my sister picked:

BECKETT

was actually the name that my niece picked (what are the odds?) and so she had to name her son:

JACOBY

Future playground interactions do not look good for these two. Now, my sincere apologies to anyone with a child named Beckett or Jacoby or anyone who favors these names. Some things just don't fall right on my ears.

Love to all!
I hear you. Not what I would choose either.

DH's niece expressed an interest in "Cooper" for her daughter's name. Now, I know a little boy named Cooper and I think it's cute for a boy, but for a girl? Plus she's thinking of using "Jean" for a middle name (my late MIL's middle name). Hmm...

Now I wanna have another kid just so I can use all the cool names I have picked out!

#19 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Kate, I know you would never hurt anyone's feelings ~ but I'm with you. And I can't read/hear 'Beckett' without thinking of "Waiting for Godot"... I remember reading that years ago and having incredible existential angst... It's all coming back to me now. Aaagh!

I had such a terrific day with my kids today. Today was one of those days that makes me want to just stay at home with them until they're 27. I just had such a great day! I have really been working mindfully on GDing, and life is becoming more peaceful in turn - we had only one tiny issue today, and that was when Adam was getting tired tonight. So upstairs we went and now my kids are sleeping beautifully, bless them. Adam was so cool today. He brought out his trains (prized possessions) and proceeded to put them on the floor (we usually play with them on the kitchen table) so that he could "share them with Sarah Beara!" It made me feel so good. So, so good. When she didn't immediately approach them after her nap, he came up and put a few engines on her leg so that she knew she could play with him.

I love my life.

#20 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Now I wanna have another kid just so I can use all the cool names I have picked out!
Totally! Me, too!

...instead, I have begun naming all of my kids' baby dolls myself.

#21 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I love my life.
I'm so happy to hear that things are better in general and that you had a wonderful day today. Some days are like that.

Henry's fav things are his trains, now too. I'm loving it! It's taking everything in me not to go out and buy him a bunch of new pieces for his set. It's so fun to see him set the track up. (Though not so fun when he shrieks, "STAY UPPPP!" when the train won't stay hooked together. )

Okay, I really need to go to bed. It's so nice to see some of you up "with" me right now, though!

#22 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Totally! Me, too!

I was thinking cats. I always "threaten" DH that when he dies first (of course he wants to know why HE'S dying first) I'm going to become a crazy old cat lady.

Okay, now I'm really going to bed!

#23 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
this is such a fantastic idea ~ pretty sure this is our last and i've got a plethora of beautiful baby names that won't get used...especially cuz dh is more or less naming this one...where we came together on a (boy's) name was about 20 names down my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama
I was thinking cats. I always "threaten" DH that when he dies first (of course he wants to know why HE'S dying first) I'm going to become a crazy old cat lady.
yes, cats too! dh's mom is the crazy old cat lady. has always been. and does it with her dh at hand (although he supports her efforts to "save" all the kitties, he's not the hugest fan). they have 8-12 indoor kitties and about 20-30 outdoor kitties. it's a lot of the unwanted ones from the shelter that she works at - 3 legs, one eye, etc. then she also brings them home to get them well when kennel cough makes it's rounds and normally they'd all be put down. and she fosters the kittens until they're ready for adoption. it sounds pretty out of control, but they have a big old farm to have them on. it's a kitty paradise. her dh made a sign for the yard at one point that said "kuhn farm ~ home to wayward pets" that was just supposed to be cute. only one family lives beyond them on their country road, anyway. then the postal carrier started to spread the word and animals started to be randomly dropped off. hence, no more cute sign.

no baby, yet. the head is down and engaged. dh likes to say "he's locked and loaded". we're both thinking it's a boy, but i thought laurel was a boy all along as well.
maybe tmi, but whatever - yesterday i peed light pink for about half of the day. it's gone now, but i didn't experience that with laurel. anyone have that happen? with laurel my mucous plug came out in the shower. maybe it's just a bit of bloody show? but there aren't any strands or floaties or anything, just light pink.
i'm thinking that if i think about manifesting it hard (easily) enough, that perhaps all the practice labor expansions i'm having are opening me up so that when active labor begins i'll already be 8 or 9 cm. it only helps to be hopeful, right .

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#24 of 114 Old 01-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Um, my mom's a cat lady too :.

Jeremy, I cannot tell you how much easier my 2nd labor was than my 1st. Thirty-six vs. three and a half hours. A came out very easily and I was so much more confident and in control. I'm thinking of you.

Emily, I love your stories!

#25 of 114 Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM

hey there mamas!
i made it to my blessingway (or whatever you want to call it)...rather i'm on my way there and no labor yet, so i'm really pleased that i'll get to enjoy all my irl mama friends today!
pink went away. i'm starting to think it was the beets .
love to you all

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#26 of 114 Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

nak!

thinking of you lots jeremy!
can't wait to "meet" that baby!!!!
i second the easier labor for number two. mine was shorter and since I knew what it was all about, man i -owned- that labor and it was wonderful and powerful and beautiful. i would do it again tomorrow.
much love!!

#27 of 114 Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 AM

My mom will be a cat lady, too.

We used to have a cat lady next door to us, and her cats were so sickly their eyes were covered in slime and they wheezed. I Once took 8 kittens to the pound. All but 7 were adopted, I was so relieved. When I picked them up, they were close to death, it was so so so sad. Animals would never live like that in nature, it was disgusting. I once counted 74 cats in her backyard. She had them in the house, too, and I am sure there were cats in her front yard and others roaming the neighborhood.

Whenever it rained, the smell of urine was nauseating.

She called them her babies.

Speaking of babies................. I am a sucker for birth stories, so please keep us updated, I'm sure you planned too, right?
#28 of 114 Old 01-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Thinking of you Jeremy, trying to remember when Laurel came in relation to your due date.....
Hope all is well!
Welcome Lisa!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#29 of 114 Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

On the PL front, Adam used the potty for the first time today! Woo hoo!! I am cautious...I think this is going to be a long road. Like years. Oh, how I wish I had ECed.... ((sigh))

#30 of 114 Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Congrats hopefulfaith-it's a long road, but at least Adam's on it!
I can't wait to hear Jeremy's and Tracy's birsth stories-coming up so soon!

Thanks for the congrats-I am kind of coming out of shock-we kind of thought it would take a little longer than it did due to our ages. E doesn't know yet but before *I* even knew I was pregnant she started telling people, "I'm going to be a big sister. Mummy has a baby in her tummy."...so our friends/family have been pretty suspicious. Yesterday, very seriously, she turned to me and said, "I have a brother, He's standing in a doorway", and then went back to playing. Kind of freaky! Time will tell, I suppose. I met my MW yesterday, and go for an U/S next week-I can't wait to see the little bean, and also hope to see only one. I have had a wierd feeling that there's two in there, and am hoping I'm wrong!
Anyway, time for me to go to work-have a good day!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page