### ~~ November 2006 Mamas - Happy New Year! ~~ ### - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 153 Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
twogreencars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: palm trees & sun
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, mamas - one of you has taken our weather!

We've had pouring rain in the desert!
twogreencars is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 153 Old 01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
 
superstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere untangling my mind
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

I'd be upset without kisses too! Hope he feels better soon poor little guy.

katie- i'm sure the other moms there understood and were probably just having a lucky day . Homer wouldn't sit still for something like that yet.

twogreencars- I've got your rain today, so you can have your desert weather back. Anytime you want to trade again, just let me know!

I'll have results from the ct in a few hours, I'm nervous.
superstella is offline  
#63 of 153 Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
twogreencars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: palm trees & sun
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
twogreencars- I've got your rain today, so you can have your desert weather back. Anytime you want to trade again, just let me know!

I'll have results from the ct in a few hours, I'm nervous.
Got our weather back - sunny and warm here now. I'll let you know when I'd like to trade again!

More importantly - how are you doing? Results of ct???
twogreencars is offline  
#64 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 AM
 
Mama2Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's warm here in FL, too.

I am SO glad to read about the constant nursing. El just turned 13 mos and is signing to nurse, like, constantly sometimes! Then she'll latch for about a minute! I was thinking maybe she was bored, but regardless of what she does, when she wants it, she wants it!

She also wants to be held SO much...it's been wearing me out, to be honest. Her nap schedule has changed again and I've been feeling overwhelmed w/her neediness. She's also started hitting me while she's nursing if she's really tired. I don't think it's hostile, just swinging her arm and whacking me, but it hurts! Sigh...so glad to have this thread.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
Mama2Bean is offline  
#65 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 AM
 
MPsSweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Does anyone elses lo have a temper? Like, really bad, lol? If I don't do exactly what Asheby wants right when he wants it, he goes searching for something to hit. The wall, chair, cabinets, or last night, he set his sights on Amethyst. She thought it was funny when he started coming for her, and she hid behind the chair, He just sets his jaw and goes at it. It's actually pretty cute, but I don't want him to be a hitter, kwim?

Weather: It's been warmer, but WINDY here. Ugh, I hate wind. Give me cold cloudy with snow, or give me summer. No in between please. January is my least favorite month. I can't wait until its warm and I can see Asheby in his cute little shorts that I already bought. ON SALE, woohoo!

He has also been waking repeatedly at night and I am about to lose it. It's about every 30 minutes, you know, just enough time for me to almost fall asleep. Ugh. I have been trying to rock and hum him through it, but he literally attacks me. He hits me, kicks me, squirms, and last night he pulled my hair. Hard! Oh, he also kicked James in the face tonight! Wtf? Future UFC fighter? (or whatever it is )

In regards to the other post about drinking bm only. Asheby has a cup that stays on the table and I fill it with a sip at a time of water during meals, but other than that, just bm for him. His favorite!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
MPsSweetie is online now  
#66 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 AM
 
angrypixiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CNY
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So relieved to see all these posts about tempers and hitting. DD has gotten pretty agressive lately - swinging to hit us in the face, hit our glasses off our face if we tell her no, etc. Today when she was swinging, I gently held her arms at her sides and tried talking to her in a calm voice. She screamed, leaned over and bit me! Today she smacked another little girl at the sitter's - right across the face. I am mortified! It didn't help that the little girl's mother was there and laughed, saying it was no big deal. It is a big deal to me, and I don't want that type of behavior reinforced with laughing. The sitter laughed too. I know they were trying to make me feel better, but still....:

We are a very peaceful household and as for TV, I watch the cooking channel. I have no idea where this is coming from. Any thoughts???( And I don't watch Emeril, so it can't be the BAM!)

Jill :, partner to DH:, mother to DD 11/06 :, DD 2/2010 .
angrypixiemama is offline  
#67 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Does anyone elses lo have a temper? Like, really bad, lol? If I don't do exactly what Asheby wants right when he wants it, he goes searching for something to hit. The wall, chair, cabinets, or last night, he set his sights on Amethyst. She thought it was funny when he started coming for her, and she hid behind the chair, He just sets his jaw and goes at it. It's actually pretty cute, but I don't want him to be a hitter, kwim?

Weather: It's been warmer, but WINDY here. Ugh, I hate wind. Give me cold cloudy with snow, or give me summer. No in between please. January is my least favorite month. I can't wait until its warm and I can see Asheby in his cute little shorts that I already bought. ON SALE, woohoo!

He has also been waking repeatedly at night and I am about to lose it. It's about every 30 minutes, you know, just enough time for me to almost fall asleep. Ugh. I have been trying to rock and hum him through it, but he literally attacks me. He hits me, kicks me, squirms, and last night he pulled my hair. Hard! Oh, he also kicked James in the face tonight! Wtf? Future UFC fighter? (or whatever it is )

In regards to the other post about drinking bm only. Asheby has a cup that stays on the table and I fill it with a sip at a time of water during meals, but other than that, just bm for him. His favorite!
Um, yes, constant hitting. It's so annoying.
We've been having a lot of night waking lately, too. I'm getting overwhelmed. After the third time of getting up with DS, DH said how back he felt for me. That kinda helped, because I felt like he at least knew that I was making huge sacrifices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypixiemama View Post
So relieved to see all these posts about tempers and hitting. DD has gotten pretty agressive lately - swinging to hit us in the face, hit our glasses off our face if we tell her no, etc. Today when she was swinging, I gently held her arms at her sides and tried talking to her in a calm voice. She screamed, leaned over and bit me! Today she smacked another little girl at the sitter's - right across the face. I am mortified! It didn't help that the little girl's mother was there and laughed, saying it was no big deal. It is a big deal to me, and I don't want that type of behavior reinforced with laughing. The sitter laughed too. I know they were trying to make me feel better, but still....:

We are a very peaceful household and as for TV, I watch the cooking channel. I have no idea where this is coming from. Any thoughts???( And I don't watch Emeril, so it can't be the BAM!)
Yeah, I don't know where they get it. I asked my Parents as Teachers lady, and she said she thinks it's just natural aggression, not necessarily that they're seeing anything.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#68 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
 
butterflykisses4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I am new to this thread. My dd was born Nov 9th. She is SUCH the cuties pie If I can say so LOL.

She has gotten all her teeth 3 molars and 3 eye teeth. We are working on our last eye teeth and molars and not doing so good about it. Thank goodness for teething tablets!

She started walking at 9 months and was fully wlaking/running at 9.5 months she was my earliest wlaker. But then again she has to keep up with the other kids.

She doesn't talk much nothing more hten momma (like at the top of her lungs and 6am every morning. Though she can say Baby now. so her siblings are baby to her and for dog she goes woof woof. But that is it despite my dh best efforts to teach her dada or daddy she refuses to call him that. Though yesterday she slipped and said da btu that was it. She looked at us with this face that said "Oh poop they heard me now I can't pretend not to know how to say it anymore" So that is our running joke that she can say it just deosnt want to. :

She is eating everything she can get her hands on and eats almost 24/7. Though she has stopped hursing I guess I asn't fast enough ofr her. LOL Always on the go she is learning to climb down steps sinc eshe can climb up them. This makes me SOOOO nervous!

She is a cloht diaper baby and is highly allergic to all things disposable. She is my only one that has been like this and it took some getting use to but now I wish I CD all my kids! Theya re SO fun!

She has a little temper. If I say no or she gets "into trouble" she will lay down (not throw herslef but calmly lay down) on her back and proceed to stomp her feet and cry. BUT she looks up every few seconds to see if you are watching. Really this makes it SO hard not to laugh at her. Though she has been hitting lately. I think this is because she wants something (usually something her sissy has) and she can't express her wants so she hit to get the toy. For my sons who are 3 months apart we bought 2 of everything but we havent for the girls yet since I relly didnt think it owuld be a problem this early.

I am glad I found this and the list of others babies who were born on her b.day is soo fun! thanks,
butterflykisses4 is offline  
#69 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome, Anna!

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#70 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
 
MidnightCommando's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Esto Perpetua
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is such a relief to find out that DD is not the only one exhibiting these less than desirable behaviors (hitting, whining, needing constant nursing and holding) I hope for all our sakes that it doesn't last too long.


someone asked about a play kitchen. we got DD this one (http://www.oompa.com/baby-toys/categ...?item=WH706910) for Christmas and she loves it. It is recommended ages 3+ and mostly upon inspection it didn't seem to be a problem but we did have to put up the small mushrooms and a few other accessories. We also got a few of the plan toys cutting veggies and fruit and they are awesome!

has anyone's climbers turned into leapers?? DD is scaring us so bad these last few days. We had to put away the coffee table since she tried leaping onto it from the couch and didn't quite make it. She still leaps off the couch but has the landing roll down pretty good. I don't know what to do about it except try to distract her from doing it (easier said than done) I'm afraid one of these days she's going to get on the kitchen counter and leap off that. It's a much higher fall and the kitchen floor is HARD.

I wanted to share a little video of DD and the dog playing in the snow. He is the ONLY one that can get her laughing like this
http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=07578D700D4DC9C9
(I used to wear the hat she has on when I was her age)

\m/

MidnightCommando is offline  
#71 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
 
superstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere untangling my mind
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only got a sec as Omiros is dumping all my stuff on the floor but I did want to stop in and say ct results were good. Mass hasn't grown, and since it was non-cancerous last summer when they biopsied, there's no reason to think otherwise now. Pulmonologist said it's likely scar tissue from my lung disease and the pneumonia last spring, and nothing to worry about.

I'll post back later 'bout the babies and catch up, just wanted to let you guys know that!

superstella is offline  
#72 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post

I wanted to share a little video of DD and the dog playing in the snow. He is the ONLY one that can get her laughing like this
http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=07578D700D4DC9C9
(I used to wear the hat she has on when I was her age)
What a cutie! I love her laugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
I've only got a sec as Omiros is dumping all my stuff on the floor but I did want to stop in and say ct results were good. Mass hasn't grown, and since it was non-cancerous last summer when they biopsied, there's no reason to think otherwise now. Pulmonologist said it's likely scar tissue from my lung disease and the pneumonia last spring, and nothing to worry about.

I'll post back later 'bout the babies and catch up, just wanted to let you guys know that!

Yay!

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#73 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
 
angelachristin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: manifesting us back to california
Posts: 885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey all.

Jackson is nursing 24/7 and wanting to be held ALL. THE. TIME. too. Glad to hear it's normal. He's also getting over a bad bug that gave him a 105 fever...so he's been even whinier and more needy than usual..if that's even possible.

DH is not being so helpful. WHen I tell him I am on the edge of my last badly frayed nerve, he says, "But you're his mother." Like mothers can't get burned out? He tries to help, but Jackson wants no one but me. If DH takes him, he just screams. It's a hard stage he's going through.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
angelachristin is offline  
#74 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
 
blue butterfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstella View Post
I did want to stop in and say ct results were good.


Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)
 
blue butterfly is offline  
#75 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM
 
AllisonR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't talk to me about temper. Lea has intense anger and rage. She arches her back, throws herself backwards so hard I have to catch her or she will crack her head, and screams worse than a lamb at the slaughter house. If I had to guess, it is her frustration that she can't tell me what she is mad about (mostly jealousy when I am paying attention to DS). Luckily she doesn't bite or hit anyone.

Welcome Anna. What is an eye tooth? Freaking me out - sounds like eyeballs in the mouth!

Superstella - are you on an inhaler for the scar, pnemonia?

MidnightCommando cute video. Love your DC trying to throw snow at the dog like you did. (At least I guess that's what she's doing). You guys have a lot of snow.
AllisonR is offline  
#76 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Dov'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post
hey all.

Jackson is nursing 24/7 and wanting to be held ALL. THE. TIME. too. Glad to hear it's normal. He's also getting over a bad bug that gave him a 105 fever...so he's been even whinier and more needy than usual..if that's even possible.

DH is not being so helpful. WHen I tell him I am on the edge of my last badly frayed nerve, he says, "But you're his mother." Like mothers can't get burned out? He tries to help, but Jackson wants no one but me. If DH takes him, he just screams. It's a hard stage he's going through.
DS also vastly prefers me when he's unhappy, especially in the middle of the night. For a long time, if I asked DH to take him, he'd hold him for a second and then hand him back saying "he wants you." Finally, I had it out with him: I know he'd prefer me, but it's just not possible for me to hold him all the time. Especially when I got home from work at 9:30 pm, got DS to sleep at 10:30, got to bed myself at 11:00, DS was up from 2-4:30 screaming, and I had to be up at 6:00 for work. Yes, DS would rather spend his 2-4:30 miserable sick awake time on my shoulder, but I need to sleep. I will take him at fairly frequent intervals to see if nursing will help, but when the only thing that will do it is pacing the halls, DH has learned that that is his job, and DS gets over being held by DH pretty quickly after they leave the bedroom.

(DS has had a bad cold this week so he's been doing the "awake all night screaming" routine and I am so glad DH learned how to help at night some time ago and I didn't have to go through it myself the last few nights. I've been working 12-14 hour days (not counting commute) to finish up a few projects before I give birth, I'm 38 weeks pregnant, and I have the same cold DS does. No way I could function on 4 hours of sleep!)
Dov'sMom is offline  
#77 of 153 Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov'sMom View Post
DS also vastly prefers me when he's unhappy, especially in the middle of the night. For a long time, if I asked DH to take him, he'd hold him for a second and then hand him back saying "he wants you." Finally, I had it out with him: I know he'd prefer me, but it's just not possible for me to hold him all the time. Especially when I got home from work at 9:30 pm, got DS to sleep at 10:30, got to bed myself at 11:00, DS was up from 2-4:30 screaming, and I had to be up at 6:00 for work. Yes, DS would rather spend his 2-4:30 miserable sick awake time on my shoulder, but I need to sleep. I will take him at fairly frequent intervals to see if nursing will help, but when the only thing that will do it is pacing the halls, DH has learned that that is his job, and DS gets over being held by DH pretty quickly after they leave the bedroom.

(DS has had a bad cold this week so he's been doing the "awake all night screaming" routine and I am so glad DH learned how to help at night some time ago and I didn't have to go through it myself the last few nights. I've been working 12-14 hour days (not counting commute) to finish up a few projects before I give birth, I'm 38 weeks pregnant, and I have the same cold DS does. No way I could function on 4 hours of sleep!)
Yep. In the night, if DH tries to take care of Atticus, it's a mess. I don't even bother anymore, because I know I'll end up taking him.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#78 of 153 Old 01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
 
superstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere untangling my mind
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so glad I have you mamas, because you remind me that this is normal behavior and I'm not alone!

Quote:
DH is not being so helpful. WHen I tell him I am on the edge of my last badly frayed nerve, he says, "But you're his mother." Like mothers can't get burned out? He tries to help, but Jackson wants no one but me. If DH takes him, he just screams. It's a hard stage he's going through.
That must be very frustrating. I think you should leave the house and let the two of them work it out. you need a break sometimes.

Quote:
What is an eye tooth? Freaking me out - sounds like eyeballs in the mouth!

Superstella - are you on an inhaler for the scar, pnemonia?
Eye tooth is the pointy ones. Omiros is working on those too. And yes, i'm on an inhaler and all kinds of medicines but I still have trouble breathing. I'm better now than I was, though, so hopefully I will continue to improve!

Dov'smom - big to you, I don't know how you're functioning.
superstella is offline  
#79 of 153 Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 AM
 
MPsSweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Omg, I don't know how you do it either Dov'smom! Wow...

I am the only one who gets up with Asheby at night, but thats okay with me. James gets up with Amethyst when she wakes up, she has a lot of bad dreams lately.

Asheby has grown an inch since November. He is 30.5 inches now! I noticed that he was stretching out a little when I was dressing him the other day. Like skinnier around the middle, pants a little looser and sure enough! He is looking so much like a little boy these days, no more round baby cheeks. *sniff* But he certainly still acts my little baby, , nurses ALL the time, loves to be carried and cuddled. Awww, I just LOVE it!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
MPsSweetie is online now  
#80 of 153 Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM
 
gen_here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm such a dolt.

I lost half a month with you guys. I didn't realize from the last thread that we were changing threads monthly in here, too. So I was checking my mail nightly waiting for a thread email... and nothing. I thought, "Wow. The holidays really shut us up!"

Anyway, I'll try and catch up on the 4 pages of posts soon. In the meantime, here's a tiny M update. She started walking on New Year's Eve. No 1 or 2 steps. Just decided she was done with crawling for the most part and took off. I took a quick video the next day because I was sure she'd be looking "pro" soon, and I was right. Now she spends most of her awake time doing laps through our livingroom and kitchen (which go in a circle). She says bay-bee (baby - but with emphasis on each syllable), Bah-Bah (Bob-Bob), Dada, Mama (when she mad/hurt only), muh-muh-muh (more more more), hi, bye-bye, and an enthusiastic Ah-MAH! at the end of prayers at home and church... cracks us up! She answers yes/no questions appropriately most of the time time with a "yah" or a shake of the head no. She has perfected her drama queen scream when her brother has something she wants and won't give it to her - particularly his matchbox cars. She has cut her nursing down incredibly - usually just when she wakes up and before nap and bedtime. I don't know if I'm partly responsible for that (I had some sort of invisible bleb or plugged duct that felt like someone was piercing me when she nursed on one side. I was doing labor breathing and wincing to get through the pain, so she may have thought she was doing it... but I still offered) or if she's just too busy these days. I'll follow her lead. She also blows kisses and pats my back when I hug her

She is in LOVE with her baby dolls. When she wakes up in the morning, she has toys she throws out of her crib against the wall (connecting our rooms) to let me know she's awake. When I retrieve them, she says "Hi!" to each one, hugs it and gives it a kiss. It's obviously infectious as her brother now has a new-found interest in the baby we gave him when she was born. He even took it to bed with him last night and shared his pillow with him. I have cute kids.

As I've mentioned before, my husband is a pastor. At the end of the service on Sunday, my son runs off to play in the nursery and Mikaela stays in my arms as we greet the members. She loves to shake everyone's hands and will willingly jump into the arms of anyone who holds out their hands to her. I'm amazed since she only sees these people on Sundays and we've only been here since the end of October! And then she'll just walk around in the crowd outside the church in the lobby like she's one of the adults... probably hoping someone will give her a cookie

She's a cutie. I have no idea how big she is. My old doctor wouldn't have done a check-up until 15 months, so I've given myself a little extra time to get her in for her wbv (if I do it... she's, um, WELL). When I brought her in for a diaper rash around her birthday, she was just about 20 pounds and 67 cm (26.37 inches).

Here's a few links...
Walking video (just a few seconds):
Her 1 year portraits
Standing with Scoop (R carried a spoon everywhere when he first started walking - we named it Scoop, and we thought she was starting, too)
Not wearing PJs (standard in our house cuz they're comfy and cute)
Showing her appreciation for a muffin
gen_here is offline  
#81 of 153 Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cute pics, Gen. Good to hear the update. Can you get her to sit still during the actual service? We usually spend the entire time in the "angel" room or in the lobby and just go in in time for communion. I try to take snacks, but he jsut wants to run around, and our nursery is only for 2 and up, which is weird, IMO.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#82 of 153 Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
 
gen_here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedidbug View Post
Cute pics, Gen. Good to hear the update. Can you get her to sit still during the actual service? We usually spend the entire time in the "angel" room or in the lobby and just go in in time for communion. I try to take snacks, but he jsut wants to run around, and our nursery is only for 2 and up, which is weird, IMO.
Well, my kids aren't allowed to go to the nursery (per me and husband - the nursery worker would love to have them as they're the only kids young enough for nursery). So for the most part, she's in my arms or nursing. We have a children's message, so she gets to walk up to the front with her brother for a few minutes and then walk back. It helps her, but it makes my son (almost 3) wiry and wanting to run all over after that. I bring Cheerios, these great board books (two more we don't have), and she walks up and down our row between me and this older couple that act as surrogate grandparents, but if she tries to crawl under me to get out, she's back in my arms... crying or not. I don't take my kids out of church when they get fidgety because, IMO, that will just teach them that they can misbehave to get out of the service if they're bored . I do make exceptions for once in a lifetime services (weddings, funerals, I even missed most of my husband's installation service because I knew that it was more important to his congregation for them to hear than for me... I can watch the video ). I will say that we're lucky here, though. Compared to where we were (well, one of the churches), people offer to help with the kids, I've been told by people who didn't know I was the pastor's wife that they're glad to have kids in the congregation again... and they like the little chatter and occasional squaks because that means they're there.

I don't know if that helps any. Our church provides activity bags for slightly older kids - kids bible, coloring books and crayons, there are "scribble sheets for young Lutherans" in each pew, kids' bulletins, etc. This was not the case with where we were before, so I totally understand that each congregation is different. I know that this book from one of my college professors talks a lot about how to make church more kid friendly... including sitting kids up front (rather than banishing them to the back) so they can see what's going on... and providing restaurant booster seats so they can see over the pews =)
gen_here is offline  
#83 of 153 Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 PM
 
katiedidbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't think our church is as kid friendly. I mean, I can't imagine letting Atticus loose ...

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
katiedidbug is offline  
#84 of 153 Old 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM
 
superstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere untangling my mind
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do your babies show a handedness yet? I thought with my others it was pretty easy to tell pretty early on that they preferred their right hands over the left, but with Omiros I can't tell yet. He seems to grab for things equally with the right and left, and when we sit in the floor and do the shape sorter thingy he puts just as many in with his left as his right. And when he eats, he'll take a bite with his left hand, then one with his right. Just wondering if you all can tell yet.
superstella is offline  
#85 of 153 Old 01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
 
MPsSweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Asheby colors every day before we eat and he always uses his right hand. He also eats with his right hand. But he sucks his left thumb.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
MPsSweetie is online now  
#86 of 153 Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
 
Dov'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No evidence of handedness yet that I can tell...I keep thinking he's more coordinated with his right, but then I look again and realize it is just my bias.


DS has a new way of telling me he wants to nurse -- he climbs up on my lap, puts both hands smack on my face, and SHOVES me backwards! Can you tell we mostly nurse lying down? On the one hand, it seems kind of rude -- on the other, it's so cute -- especially when, if I "listen" and lie down and lift my shirt, he crows with delight before descending on me like a bird of prey. What do you think? Should I try to teach him that pushing people in the face isn't nice? He's never tried to hit me (except in play) or any kids he's been playing with, and I've never seen him act aggressively (though he is definitely capable of grabbing), so I'm not afraid he'll associate it with hitting (though all bets are off once baby gets here...whenever that happens!).
Dov'sMom is offline  
#87 of 153 Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 AM
 
WildinTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been following this thread since Nate was a tiny babe, but I have to admit that I'm starting to feel like I really missed out by not connecting more with other mamas, both online and IRL.

Nate has started walking in the last few weeks and suddenly he walks everywhere. No more crawling for him! He loves to say "Hi" and will smile and wave and say (or shout) "Hi" to anyone he sees.

We're struggling with mommy-preference right now. He wants nothing to do with DH and will scream and cry if he so much as tries to come near him. It's been two months of this and I was hoping it would be getting better by now. I've been back at work full time for the last 3 1/2 months and DH watches Nate during the day. DH says that he's like a different kid - sits with him, plays with him, falls asleep for nap with DH beside him but the second I get home - he immediately wants nothing to do with him.

As far as night weaning, I'm so happy that I'm managing to get enough sleep while co-sleeping/nursing. I was so worried before I went back to work and it has gone really well. He is probably nursing more now than he has in quite a few months but I can pretty much almost sleep through it. Since I don't nurse or pump during the day it's the only nursing we have left so I want to keep going for as long as we can.

~m. Mama to two! DS (11/2006) and DD (07/2010).

WildinTheory is offline  
#88 of 153 Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
twogreencars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: palm trees & sun
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumping us up from the depths...can't post now...going...to...crawl...back...to...bed...I've got 104.7F - seems to be a grownup variation of the croup DD has...
twogreencars is offline  
#89 of 153 Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
 
superstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere untangling my mind
Posts: 4,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
bumping us up from the depths...can't post now...going...to...crawl...back...to...bed...I've got 104.7F - seems to be a grownup variation of the croup DD has...
Hope you feel better soon!
superstella is offline  
#90 of 153 Old 01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Dov'sMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
bumping us up from the depths...can't post now...going...to...crawl...back...to...bed...I've got 104.7F - seems to be a grownup variation of the croup DD has...
That sounds awful! I hope you feel better.

And I appreciate you rescuing us from the depths . Every so often I skim the first page of this forum to see if anyone's posted, but I never go looking for us...


Halfway through (okay, optimistic) my 40th week of pregnancy, and wondering when this baby plans to emerge! I inflated a birth ball yesterday, and DS thinks it's for him. He takes it out of the apartment and rolls it up and down the hallway. He also leans on it with his arms out until it pops away from him and he falls backwards. Inflating it was a real challenge, because he wanted to wield the pump, which obviously didn't work well, but happily they had accidentally sent a second pump, which I let him hold and "pump" along with me. Every time I try to sit on it, though, DS comes over and tries to push the ball out from under me. When that doesn't work, he tries to lift me off the ball -- which is clearly not going to work as I weigh over 300 lbs!
Dov'sMom is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off