Best way to treat dry skin on toddler... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
The difference between eczema and just dry irratated skin is whether or not it is caused by a responce from the immune system. It is usually be caused by an allergy.
That is interesting to me too because I have had eczema my entire life. In early teen years I had very red patches behind my knees and in the crook of my arm. My feet have cracked and bled. My dermatologist said in was common in the teen years and I did in fact outgrow it (to that severity)
I have never heard it related to allergies. I was tested for allergies in my early 20's and have only seasonal and animal dander allergies so I wonder for what percentage of kids/adults it is related.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#32 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM

another vote for organic coconut oil

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#33 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I'm noticing that my son's dry skin around his face is turning into pimples.. I think...

Any suggestions?
#34 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendocino View Post
I used to use weleda calendula cream on my son and discovered it actually made his dry skin worse.
Ditto to that, but for the California Baby calendula cream. I think the CA Baby and Burt's Bees products have a lot of scented oils in them, and that exacerbates sensitive skin.

DS1 had eczema and all my boys get red, chapped winter cheeks. We've tried a lot of lotions and so far the one I have the best success with is an Aveeno Baby unscented extra moisturizing one, the one with the dark navy blue cap (but NOT the adult one with the navy blue cap, that one has menthol!).

Applying lotion morning and night until the chapped skin looks better, then keeping it up at bedtime to maintain healthy skin seems to work best for us.

I also agree with the advice to hydrate and make sure there are healthy oils in their diets.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#35 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 PM

I have been reading this one for myself since my hands are chapped and cracked in some spots. The only thing that has helped so far is Lansinoh on the cracked spots. I can't wait for warmer weather so that we can turn the heat down. For DD we use Aveeno right after her nightly bath.

GL!
#36 of 40 Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Hemp oil (both eating and topically) have helped A LOT!!
#37 of 40 Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
Have you tried Eucerin products? They have always worked best for me and for ds as well.
I agree these work really well!
#38 of 40 Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 AM
JAL

Quote:
I'm noticing that my son's dry skin around his face is turning into pimples.. I think...

Any suggestions?
Ditto with my daughter, she is two and has had this since birth!
This is a very interesting thread to me also, hope I can learn something. Our doc just told me it is dry skin but lotions don't help, she also has little dry patches that are not helped by lotions either. Going to try the shea butter though and see if it is any different.
I have found that a humidifier and chlorine filter in the bath help some.

:
#39 of 40 Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 AM

Since I didn't see this on the list - we use Lubriderm. Virtually no fragerance (sp?) and very moisurizing. It's a little expensive so I get it in bulk at Costco.
#40 of 40 Old 01-22-2008, 03:01 AM

My son began showing an all-over (except under diaper) dry skin rash as soon as winter arrived. After trying many creams, oils, lotions, even olive oil, I finally found something completely different that worked for him: humidity in the air.

Our house was extremely dry. So I stopped using my dryer, and started hanging laundry to dry all around the house. The air became moist, his dry skin cleared up, and our electric bill is lower now too!

Hope this helps.

Kady

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page