Best way to treat dry skin on toddler... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in New England and ever since winter hit my son's face has been really dry. I have always put california baby calendula cream on his face at night...it isn't really helping...ditto the ca baby aloe vera cream. I have also tried Burt's Bees Baby Creme, but that didn't help much either, plus it seems too heavy duty for the face. My son's skin is very sensitive. I was thinking about a little straight coconut oil....any suggestions?

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#2 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 AM

When my family gets dry patches we use lanolin on our skin. I don't know if that would be too much for you but it works very well.
#3 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM

It's also good to moisturize immediately after the bath - the skin takes the cream deeper then. If you're bathing every day, you may want to cut down frequency during the winter too - bathing can be drying.
#4 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Have you tried Eucerin products? They have always worked best for me and for ds as well.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#5 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 AM

If it's dry and sensitive, perhaps its excema? It runs in our family, and I buy moisturizer specific to excema at the pharmacy, because it has no perfumes, citrus, other junk... Ditto the after bath comments.
#6 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM

unrefined shea butter

this is the main thing we use. it's amazing. we even use it for sun screen.

here is a bit from the site:

Quote:
In addition, shea butter has natural sunscreen properties and anti-inflammatory agents. Because of its amazing properties, shea butter is an excellent ingredient for soaps, lotions and creams. Perhaps it is most effective when applied to the skin in its pure state. Regular users of pure, unrefined shea butter notice softer, smoother, healthier skin. Shea butter has also been shown to help with skin conditions and ailments such as extreme dryness, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, skin allergies, fungal infections, blemishes, wrinkles, stretch marks, scars, scrapes, and more.

also, do check out this green goop salve made by a local herbalist/midwife in my area. i just found out about it and it's AMAZING. i had really dry finger tips and it healed them in less than a week. and also some dry patches on my arm (always happens in the winter), and it's all gone now.
#7 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 11:40 AM

I used to use weleda calendula cream on my son and discovered it actually made his dry skin worse.

I second the eucerin/aquaphor type ointment. Put it on anytime before you leave the house. Also, if he uses a pacifier, consider removing it.

We also reduced baths to 1-2x week and increased oil consumption. Flax, olive, coconut, etc. Avocadoes, too.
#8 of 40 Old 01-08-2008, 02:57 PM

I think my dd may be sensitive to petroleum-based creams, as I've noticed that she developed really dry, rough patches right after using Baby Vicks for a summer cold. I was also surprised that an Aveeno baby cream for sensitive skin/eczema seemed to make it worse. The thing that has helped us is to switch to a shea butter baby wash-- it really makes her skin so incredibly soft with just a little use.
#9 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Gold bond ultimate healing lotion

worked better on dry patches than lanolin which I always swore by. and smells waay better
#10 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM

If you want to stay on the "natural" side, try using some Na-PCA spray, before your other creams.

If you don't care what's in it, try Aquaphilic.
#11 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM

We use Mustela lotion after baths. There are very few things we can use on his skin because its so sensitive. But Mustela works really well for him.

My older son's hands and face get terribly chapped when he's out in the cold for very long. I smear him with Eucerin before bed and keep his hands covered. It helps alot but he doesn't have sensitive skin.
#12 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Hello! Is he getting enough Omega 3 in his diet? Omega 3 will moisten your child's skin from the inside out. We use Coromega, which is a pudding like fish oil that tastes like baby aspirin. My kid's diets are very high in Omega 3, and I've never had to use any type of lotion on them, so hopefully there's some correlation.
#13 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

My nephews and nieces have eczema, and she swears by the Bert's Bees products with beeswax. There are lots of recipes online to make your own and save money.
#14 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Dd has mild ecema and for regular use we use Avenno Baby/Toddler body cream (not lotion) we also DON'T use soap in the bath tub.

If the spots are bumpy and irritated I will put just a dab of hydrocortisone on. (should not put on face)

I really like the gold bond lotion in the green bottle but I do not suggest it for kids, it has menthol and it can burn their eye if it gets too close.
#15 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Ds fingers used to crack in the winter and his face was red and dry. About that time I discoverd the problems went away when I started feeding him spaghetti with olive oil on it. The olive oil got all over his hands and face and I wasn't using soap to wash after eating, just a warm wet cloth.
#16 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Wow, this is all great info, as my son has had a lot of dry skin on his face lately too. I also noticed calendula cream made it worse, I'll start with the others.
#17 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM

We use Clear Hills Honey Bee Balm and it works really well. Its also completely natural.

Clear Hills Honey

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#18 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM

I was going to suggest the coconut oil. That stuff rocks.
#19 of 40 Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 PM

How about jojoba oil. I always put some on ds after bath and it is gentle enough for the face. I use it in my hair too.
#20 of 40 Old 01-11-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!
I do try to make sure he gets enough good fats in his diet...avocados, earth balance spread etc. Also he still BFs a lot and I take a DHA supplement.
As for those mentioning about excema...how would I tell the difference between dry skin and mild excema?
He does get a bath every day...but we use only a tiny amount of Calfiornia baby bubble bath and wash. He loves his bath so much and it is part of his bedtime routine which is why I don't want to do it less often.
Thanks again!

#21 of 40 Old 01-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Do you have radiators in your house? If you do, put pans of water on to add moisture to the air. The radiators (heaters in general) can dry the air out.

I use coconut oil on ds when he's dry-it's great! Olive oil, too!

The other thing is does your dc have to bathe daily during the winter? That might help to keep the natural oils on his skin unless you are moisturizing right out of the tub. Or since you said it's a vital part of your nighttime routine, can you add something like lavender oil to his bath so he has the calming aromatherapy and a bit of oil that will work into the skin...then moisturize afterwards?
#22 of 40 Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM

I slather dd and myself up in coconut oil after a shower/bath. Works great!
#23 of 40 Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=abigail_b;10251928]Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!
I do try to make sure he gets enough good fats in his diet...avocados, earth balance spread etc. Also he still BFs a lot and I take a DHA supplement.
As for those mentioning about excema...how would I tell the difference between dry skin and mild excema?

eczema if only steroids will make it go away- hope its not
#24 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 AM

I feel your pain, it's not even cold here and she still has dry patches. I've tried the creams you listed,too, not much success though. No success with vegetable oils, either.

I just recently picked up shikai borage dry skin therapy lotion for babies.http://www.bizrate.com/childrensheal...444047620.html

I love, it works very very well for us.

By the way, eczema is not diagnosed whether the skin problem will go away with steroids or not. The word is used for a variety of skin conditions.
#25 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 AM

ds also has really dry skin but i wanted to mention that since you said it is specifically on his face it could be a sign of a mild food allergy. ds is allergic to nuts (severe) and dairy (milder.) I have noticed that if he gets hold of something with dairy in it his face gets rashy...not like the hives he gets if he eats a lot of dairy but it looks like eczema...

just wanted to mention it, in case it's helpful

on his dry skin i use a combo of aquaphor, calendula, tea tree salve, and eucerin calming cream...also burts bees chap sticks smeared all over his face (brilliant boy that he is, he came up with that idea on his own and it actually worked out well...sadly i'm afraid his idea to then eat the chapstick was slightly less brilliant...
#26 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 AM

The difference between eczema and just dry irratated skin is whether or not it is caused by a responce from the immune system. It is usually be caused by an allergy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPotato View Post
I think my dd may be sensitive to petroleum-based creams,
My DS is sensitive to anything petroleum based too, as well as most detergents and surfacants.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#27 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
The difference between eczema and just dry irratated skin is whether or not it is caused by a responce from the immune system. It is usually be caused by an allergy.

My DS is sensitive to anything petroleum based too, as well as most detergents and surfacants.
Ditto. baby oil was first culprit, then the others followed. She is sensitive to many but not allergic though.
#28 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post

By the way, eczema is not diagnosed whether the skin problem will go away with steroids or not. The word is used for a variety of skin conditions.
So I cant blame my ped for giving my dd hydrocort at 1mo and not mentioning eczema till 2mo?

Use an all-natural product that works well for her only a horrible yr later.
#29 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM

how i got my 26 month old to put on lotion .....

i got an Rx for my face for a rash -- he soooooo wanted to put it on with me..... i subbed lotion for him ... he grins and rubs lotion all over his face.

when he is done playing i "wipe off" the extra (rub in the lotion).

It also works on hands -- i get out MINE stuff -- that he can't have -- and then he wants to mimic me.

(now we are not doing so hot on the body -- i use a mositure rich body wash and a lot of days that is as good as it gets )

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#30 of 40 Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl523 View Post
ds also has really dry skin but i wanted to mention that since you said it is specifically on his face it could be a sign of a mild food allergy. ds is allergic to nuts (severe) and dairy (milder.) I have noticed that if he gets hold of something with dairy in it his face gets rashy...not like the hives he gets if he eats a lot of dairy but it looks like eczema...

just wanted to mention it, in case it's helpful
o
Okay this is very interesting...when we are at the ped recently for something else I pointed out the dry patch and asked if it could be a food allergy...he said if it was food allergy it would be all over his body. So is this not true? I wouldn't be suprised, I have got other info from this ped that is not 100% accurate....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page