I don't know how to react to this but I'm not happy... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ett View Post
Not all MIC toys are unsafe and not all made in the US/Europe toys are safe. I think it's fine to donate to a thrift shop as long as it has not been recalled. And many people donate toys that their children have outgrown, so it has nothing to do with the toy not being good enough for their own child.
But I think the OP was specifically talking about people who say they are getting rid of them because they may not be safe.

That is what I have a problem with. If you don't feel like they are unsafe, I have no problem with it. But if you feel they may be unsafe and you donate them, there is a problem, imo. In that case, you are saying they aren't good enough for my child, but who cares about yours? Big difference.

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
But I think the OP was specifically talking about people who say they are getting rid of them because they may not be safe.

That is what I have a problem with. If you don't feel like they are unsafe, I have no problem with it. But if you feel they may be unsafe and you donate them, there is a problem, imo. In that case, you are saying they aren't good enough for my child, but who cares about yours? Big difference.
But it's the SAME TOYS! If they're not proven unsafe, then I think it's fine personally.

-Angela
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:

and we are saying we dont need you to make that decision for us, we arnt uneducated, and we dont care about the toys like you do.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
But it's the SAME TOYS! If they're not proven unsafe, then I think it's fine personally.

-Angela
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
and we are saying we dont need you to make that decision for us, we arnt uneducated, and we dont care about the toys like you do.
And what I'm saying, and apparently what you are saying too, is that it's all about attitude. I'm saying it's ok if you don't agree that they are dangerous, and it's ok with me if you donate them because you don't think they are dangerous.

What I can't abide is someone who says they are dangerous and they won't have them in their house, then they go and donate themso someone else will.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't call you names. I said it's hypocritical to say the toys are dangerous and then foist them off on someone else. If you don't think they are dangerous and you give them to someone else, then your conscience is clear, because you aren't taking something you believe to be dangerous and giving it to someone else, see?
:

Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM

Lots of people do donate junk to Goodwill, especially ratty clothes, which become a liability because then GW has to pay to dispose of them. Liability is at the heart of the MIC issue too IMO. Some stores post signs, and most make at least some effort to screen out recalled toys.

I don't believe in a no-MIC policy, but when I saw those recall lists I absolutely ran through DD's toy bins. I found one suspicious Dora, but after multiple emails and phone calls got confirmation that it was NOT one of the recalled items. DD didn't miss it, but she was glad to get it back out of quarantine.

For someone that believes MIC = dangerous, maybe a better solution would be to take it to an Environmetal Recycling Center. Our local one takes old electronics, TV's, computer monitors, etc.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
And what I'm saying, and apparently what you are saying too, is that it's all about attitude. I'm saying it's ok if you don't agree that they are dangerous, and it's ok with me if you donate them because you don't think they are dangerous.

What I can't abide is someone who says they are dangerous and they won't have them in their house, then they go and donate themso someone else will.

Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't call you names. I said it's hypocritical to say the toys are dangerous and then foist them off on someone else. If you don't think they are dangerous and you give them to someone else, then your conscience is clear, because you aren't taking something you believe to be dangerous and giving it to someone else, see?
:
and its better to put them in the landfill and cause more waste?

it is insulting and degrading to have you make our decisions for us, who cares if you think they are dangerous, you arnt the one who may want them, fine, but give them to people who might. And the truth is, the cold hard truth, regardless of whos research you choose to belive, is that unless they are recalled they are SAFE! so for you to throw out perfectly useable toys because you are on your high horse about it, is mean, and wasteful.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
and its better to put them in the landfill and cause more waste?
I believe I already covered that in a previous post. I don't know of a perfect solution. But giving someone something you think is toxic is certainly not charity.

If you intentionally dispose of something you believe to be dangerous by giving it to someone else, imo, that is immoral.

You can't tell me if it was a big corporation donating something they believed to be toxic to an unsuspecting group of people, you wouldn't deem that immoral.

I honestly don't know what the solution is, but I cannot understand how anyone can justify giving something they think is toxic to someone else. : That's the basic difference between intentional and accidental..

Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I believe I already covered that in a previous post. I don't know of a perfect solution. But giving someone something you think is toxic is certainly not charity.

If you intentionally dispose of something you believe to be dangerous by giving it to someone else, imo, that is immoral.

You can't tell me if it was a big corporation donating something they believed to be toxic to an unsuspecting group of people, you wouldn't deem that immoral.

I honestly don't know what the solution is, but I cannot understand how anyone can justify giving something they think is toxic to someone else. : That's the basic difference between intentional and accidental..
in your little bubbles opinion it is toxic, but it isnt, and it is charity to donate it. and disposing of it doesnt keep it out of peoples hands, they will dumpster dive for stuff and still get it. So get off your high horse and just give the stuff away
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
in your little bubbles opinion it is toxic, but it isnt, and it is charity to donate it. and disposing of it doesnt keep it out of peoples hands, they will dumpster dive for stuff and still get it. So get off your high horse and just give the stuff away
You are still missing my point.

I said if you believe it is toxic it is immoral to pass it on to someone else.

If you don't believe it is toxic, then passing it on is the thing to do.

BUT, if you believe it is toxic and you pass it on, that is not charity.

It's about intent. It isn't charity to pass something on if you think it may not be healthy. My problem is with people who feel like it isn't good enough for their family but it's ok to foist it off on someone else's kid.

It isn't about the toys themselves. It's about the people, and their intentions.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

to you it is immoral........ but its not, simple.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
to you it is immoral........ but its not, simple.
OK, let's simplify.

If I let your child play in my shed, and I forget there is rat poison in there, and he eats it, I'm an idiot, but there was no intent.

But, if I let him in there knowing there is rat poison in there, that is immoral.

Now, if I can't read, and I think those things are peanut butter cookies, it's not immoral and there was no intent, it's just a tragic accident.

Now, with the toys, if I give them to you not realizing there is lead in them, there is no intent.

If I give them to you knowing there is lead in them, I am being immoral, because if I think they aren't good enough for my family, I shouldn't pass them on to someone else. If you insist you know the dangers and it's ok, well, then we can talk about grey areas, and maybe I could salve my conscience, maybe not. If something happened to your child, I would still feel terribly guilty, no matter how many times you told me it was ok, because deep down, I believe it's immoral to pass those things on.

But, if neither of us has any idea anything might be wrong with them, or neither of us believes anything is wrong with them, then I can give them to you, and no big deal either way.

It's not exactly intentionally causing harm, but the possibility of harm, and the fact that the person is aware of this that bugs me.

The different beliefs I can accept. It's the differing beliefs and the intentional passing on of something you believe is dangerous that seems callous and wrong.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM

its a damn toy, not rat poison, just get over the fact that you and others here belive something that others do not, alot here believe formula is poison, but newsflash, its not, and some people on this board have to give it to their children to stop them from dying on breastmilk!

donate it or not, but dont think you are doing something right by not donating them. you are being wasteful and other things I cant say because of the UA by not donating perfectly good toys to people who can use them.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
its a damn toy, not rat poison, just get over the fact that you and others here belive something that others do not, alot here believe formula is poison, but newsflash, its not, and some people on this board have to give it to their children to stop them from dying on breastmilk!

donate it or not, but dont think you are doing something right by not donating them. you are being wasteful and other things I cant say because of the UA by not donating perfectly good toys to people who can use them.

The OP was talking about people who donate the toys after deciding they are not safe for their family.

It isn't about the toys. It isn't about the safety of the toys. It isn't about the beliefs.

It is about the intentions, and the fact that the person donating the toys thinks they are unsafe, but ok for someone else. :

Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:

The OP was talking about people who donate the toys after deciding they are not safe for their family.

It isn't about the toys. It isn't about the safety of the toys. It isn't about the beliefs.

It is about the intentions, and the fact that the person donating the toys thinks they are unsafe, but ok for someone else. :
FOR THEIR FAMILY! then donate it to a family who does think it is safe.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2annika View Post
Lots of people do donate junk to Goodwill, especially ratty clothes, which become a liability because then GW has to pay to dispose of them.
My Goodwill still sells the junk clothes, for the same prices as their good clothes.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:

I am not arguing about beliefs, I covered that already.

You are deliberately missing my point, I have already made it abundantly clear.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Are there families out there that believe its safe to mouth and play with toys that are known to have high levels of lead in them?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Are there families out there that believe its safe to mouth and play with toys that are known to have high levels of lead in them?
so it would seem.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
#1. Not all kids mouth toys

#2. Do people really think that *every* MIC toy has dangerous levels of lead? I can buy the risk being higher, but every toy?

-Angela
Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think the people donating probably have a house full of MIC toys and are just getting rid of old stuff they don't want anymore.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
if they are recalled toys, they are proven to be unsafe, so no.

but i really dont care what my son is putting in his mouth these days, as long as hes putting something in his mouth.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:

But people are just going to buy the stuff anyway, so it just makes sense to donate it instead of creating more waste. I hate Bratz, I don't want my dd exposed to them or playing with them, I don't think it would be good for her. When she got a bratz doll for a gift instead of throwing it in the garbage, I gave it to a lady I know who has no problem with her dd playing with Bratz. She was going to buy a bratz doll anyway, so why not give her the one I had? I don't think it is immoral at all to give away something that my family isn't comfortable with but other parents are.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
But people are just going to buy the stuff anyway, so it just makes sense to donate it instead of creating more waste. I hate Bratz, I don't want my dd exposed to them or playing with them, I don't think it would be good for her. When she got a bratz doll for a gift instead of throwing it in the garbage, I gave it to a lady I know who has no problem with her dd playing with Bratz. She was going to buy a bratz doll anyway, so why not give her the one I had? I don't think it is immoral at all to give away something that my family isn't comfortable with but other parents are.
Totally OT, but not really... do you ever put down parents that "let" their children play with Bratz dolls, or talk about the morals of others that would purchase those dolls?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
But you never said you thought Bratz were dangerous.

You just said you weren't comfortable with them, and gave them to someone you know who is comfortable with them.

Are you uncomfortable with Bratz because of what they teach little girls about body image, or attitudes about women, or are you uncomfortable with them because you think they might contain lead?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Totally OT, but not really... do you ever put down parents that "let" their children play with Bratz dolls, or talk about the morals of others that would purchase those dolls?
And you are missing my point as well.

I never said you are immoral if you buy made in China toys.

What I said was if you think they are dangerous, it is immoral to pass them on to someone else.

Huge difference.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 PM

I totally get what both of you are saying, Bigeyes and Nature, you both make sense but you are both kind of saying two different, yet similar, things. Maybe you should just agree to sort of disagree?

I do find it amusing that Bigeyes' mood is set to "bitchy" and Nature's mood is set to "crabby". *not meaning to make light of your moods, it is just amusing because of your "conversation" here today...
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
AND... as a bonus- by passing on that bratz, you ensured that one less NEW one was purchased. Perhaps hitting the company in a tiny way in the pocketbook.

-Angela
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
And you are missing my point as well.

I never said you are immoral if you buy made in China toys.

What I said was if you think they are dangerous, it is immoral to pass them on to someone else.

Huge difference.
and i still ask..... WHY! just because you think they are dangerous for your family, does not make it so.

Some people belive tv is toxic to their familys, some people ban disney and barbie because they are toxic to a young girls psyche, but it doesnt make it so for the rest of the world. so I fail to see where it is immoral to donate something that you are not using because of your belief system. IMO it is immoral to throw them away.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Moderator here, stepping in to remind everyone to keep this debate *friendly* please.

I think everyone agrees that toys that have been recalled should not be donated. They should be sent back to the company that made them or otherwise disposed of (unless the family chooses to ignore the recall and keep the toy for themselves).

I can't see how donating MIC toys that have not been recalled is immoral. Everyone is free to make their own choices for their own families.

I know that I for one feel very strongly about the choices I've made for my family re: toys, but I can't imagine feeling strongly about the choices that other families make in regards to toys.

Please keep the User Agreement in mind when continuing this discussion

Thanks mamas,

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I don't care if someone else buys their children Bratz dolls. Not my kids, not my decision. The dolls don't work for my family, but they might work for another one. I can't decide what is morally right for someone else, only for myself. I don't think she has bad morals, just different ones then I do. I also gave away a chicken dance Elmo because I can't stand toys like that. My sister knew someone who was looking for one, so I let her have it. The lady was going to buy one anyway, so I let her have the one I didn't want.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus

User Tag List