I don't know how to react to this but I'm not happy... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 PM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
(Bolding mine.)
As I said before (and feel you are purposely ignoring, as you feel others are purposely ignoring some of your points), some people feel that, although MIC toys are suspect enough that they'd rather not have them in their homes, they aren't proven to all be contaminated and therefore have chosen to let other families make that decision for themselves.
I believe in letting other families make that choice for themselves. But the problem with an anonymous donation is, you have no idea if the person who gets it is informed. If a person buys something in a store and there have been recalls, they are posted, I've worked retail, I know this. Items are pulled from the shelves.

With used items you never know if the recall information was received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
If you believe (and I don't think you do, which is why I'm surprised that you made the comparison a couple of times) that people who have made such a choice would also leave used syringes and rat poison lying around, I really don't know what to say.
I explained that in another post. I'm chemically sensitive and a lot of things in the environment really affect me, so it's scary to me that people don't worry about lead, or chlorine, or any number of things that can mess up your body. Since children are usually affected more than adults, I do worry about stuff like this, and because of my experiences probably more than most.

To me it's very much like leaving a syringe or rat poison around. Or car exhaust, or any number of other chemical things that affect the nervous system or the endocrine system. When you have lost years of your life to environmentally aggravated illnesses, things like this make me wonder what else we have been exposed to. A friend's son suffered permanent brain damage from an environmental toxin, and when I hear that lead can cause developmental delays...I can't help but make a mental connection, yk?

I just found out that some pharmaceuticals have chlorine and fluoride in them, for example, two things that are known for suppressing thyroid function. I think there are patients who would want to know those things upfront, but I have never had a doctor tell me anything of the sort when prescribing medication, have you?

I'm a bit of a zealot about this stuff because it affected my life. And the more I learn, the scarier it gets. Don't misunderstand my passionate response as anger, because I'm not angry with anyone here. I'm passionate about the subject at hand because I think it's important. I think we are being poisoned by our environment, and MIC stuff is only a very small part of it. Because of that, I would have to know any person who I gave a MIC toy to had at least heard about the concerns.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if I had not had these experiences, but years of going to doctors and being told it was all in my head while I was too sick to work or even feed myself has changed my views a lot. I'm really not trying to say I'm better than anyone else, I just can't imagine how awful I would feel if I found out someone went through the same hell and I was even a little bit responsible.

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#122 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
no, you arnt informing them of the "dangers" you are telling them ubsanstantiated paranoia claims that they are toxic and your own agenda against MIC toys. unless they are recalled toys, there is nothing wrong with them.

and it is offensive to me, because I have seen other so called lactivists use the same tactic, by posting the formula samples on freecycle and then berating the person who comes to pick them up about the dangers of the formula and how it is poison, and handing them breastfeeding information they never asked for. its disrespectul, and demeaning, noone should have to listen to your point of veiw over something they are accepting for free from you. Either donate it and keep your mouth shut about it, or dont donate at all.
In that case, see my original post.

If I didn't know better, I'd think I was making fun of your favorite song.

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#123 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
 
karina5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,917
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bigeyes, if it makes any difference I know what you are saying. I think you've been perfectly clear it is about intent, and not just the toys themselves at this point. I'm sorry you're feeling so misunderstoody, I really get where you're coming from.

As a mother of a child who has plenty of MIC toys, I'm not that worried about MIC toys. Am I worried about a specific, recalled toy? Sure. But not ALL MIC toys and certainly not ALL plastic toys. My son does not have the sensitivity you are referring to.

Also, we eat non organic foods. Just as it would be my *preference* that we eat all organic, we just can't afford it. It is similar to the plastic toy thing. I mentioned much earlier in this thread that if possible, I would *prefer* we have all wonderfully homemade, non-plastic, non-MIC toys, but we just can't afford it.

Like millions and millions of people, we make do. So that means our child may eat some pesticide, even if we wish that weren't the case and we try our best for that not to be what happens. And that means that there is a small but distince possibility that our child is playing w/ lead, but we can't imagine a house w/ NO toys (or 3) so we hope for the best.

It just seems sort of elitist and dare I say....classist....*gasp* to assume that all children should not play w/ MIC and/or plastic toys.
karina5 is offline  
#124 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
 
bigeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: hawaii
Posts: 7,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
.

It just seems sort of elitist and dare I say....classist....*gasp* to assume that all children should not play w/ MIC and/or plastic toys.
Ah, but see, while I am horrified at the prospect, I still respect your right to make that decision. But a used, out of the box toy with identifying marks and tags possibly removed and no chance of being caught in a recall because it's in the thrift store or garage sale doesn't fill the bill.

for intuitive readings click here :
bigeyes is offline  
#125 of 130 Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
I believe in letting other families make that choice for themselves. But the problem with an anonymous donation is, you have no idea if the person who gets it is informed. If a person buys something in a store and there have been recalls, they are posted, I've worked retail, I know this. Items are pulled from the shelves.

With used items you never know if the recall information was received.
(Bolding mine, again.)

What are you talking about? What recall information??? Nobody in this thread is talking about donating recalled items to thrift stores. I don't think I've ever been more baffled than I am right now.

Edit: Ah, I think I understand more from your above post -- you're saying that since people who buy the items second-hand don't have a way to register the toys, they wouldn't be directly informed of a subsequent recall, right? I'm glad to finally understand, but I still don't think it holds water.

For one thing, purchasers, would still have all the online and other resources available to them to find out about any recalls if it's something they're concerned about. I don't think I've ever registered one of DS's toys, but I've still managed to keep up with recalls, and if identifying tags are gone and I can't find a serial number or whatever, I err on the safe side and discard (rather than donate) the item.

Secondly, people who donate toys or other goods that are deemed safe at the time of donation should not be held morally accountable for what may be discovered about those items in the future. If that were the case, any item could be deemed capable of being found to be harmful years down the road, and trashed rather than donated -- seems like a rather extreme, paranoid position to take.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is online now  
#126 of 130 Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
 
Nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In Aspieville
Posts: 6,492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
(Bolding mine, again.)

What are you talking about? What recall information??? Nobody in this thread is talking about donating recalled items to thrift stores. I don't think I've ever been more baffled than I am right now.
Well some of us were at different times. LOL Its been a confusing thread.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Nature is offline  
#127 of 130 Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 AM
 
limabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
Well some of us were at different times. LOL Its been a confusing thread.
Sorry, I meant that no one's been advocating the donation of recalled toys -- you're right, it has been discussed.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
limabean is online now  
#128 of 130 Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 AM
 
OmJaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sandusky, OH
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thrift stores are usually frequented by the poor, right? I mean, it's not like our thrift stores are filled with the coolest clothes....it's the stuff that people don't want. I agree that MIC may be a different issue 'cause they are potentially dangerous, not just uncool, but, yeah, most people are thrift store shopping 'cause it's cheaper, not because it's the place that has all they want. MIC toys can be purchased from stores like Target which sells things cheaper than MIUSA toys or people have the option to possibly get it at a thrift store. I see no reason why people shouldn't give other parents that option if they don't approve of the toys but they already have them.
OmJaya is offline  
#129 of 130 Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 AM
 
clane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not all thrift store purchases are made by poor, illiterate, non-english speakers who can not read recall notices in the paper, on the internet or catch them on the local news. I would absolutely never donate a recalled toy, but an outgrown or just unwanted/infrequently used toy that is MIC is definitely in the donate/freecycle bin (depending on my whims at the moment--not driving over to donate one toy, but not sitting to list 20+ items on freecycle and try to coordinate...) And I do find some pretty cool clothes at ours, when the little ones give me the chance to look...

What about the just plain average middle income family that might not want to bring up children thinking they are too good for thrift store items, but doesn't swear off all plastics/MIC either. The general tone to this thread seems to be that the thrift store patrons aren't capable of keeping up with recall notices, so we should make sure they never get their hands on MIC toys.

Obviously we don't want babes playing with dirty/broken toys with sharp edges, etc, but that's a whole 'nother issue and one to take up with the specific thrift stores. Yes, some people will donate trash & I think that is up to the attendant to look over the items (maybe a random grab through the bags) and if it's just garbage, let the people know it is not usable and they are unable to issue a tax receipt. Sorry...going off topic a bit there...
clane is offline  
#130 of 130 Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM
 
rootzdawta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Squarely Outside of the Box
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just read the whole thread . . .

You can't really know people's reason for donating things so while I agree that while it's immoral or at least questionable to donate things you think are dangerous, it's pointless to spend energy worrying about it--especially since it may very well be that you're the only one who thinks it's dangerous.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
rootzdawta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off