Poop Holding and Potty Training... Help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just registered on the site, but have lurked quite a bit over the past almost two years. I'm so impressed with the support and information you all have to share! I'm dealing with an issue now that I'm hoping someone here has insights on as I am now at my whits end. Sorry in advance for the novel...

My 2 1/2 daughter has been a poop holder for about 8 months now. We've done lots of different things to help keep things moving in spite of her -- our ped finally recommended Miralax daily to make poop unretainable and to prevent damage to her colon, etc. We also just starting using a custom Bach floral remedy that is supposed to help with the emotional attachment she has to holding. So far she has stood up a few times in the past week to let the poop come out, so we're hoping the Bach will help more as time goes on.

In the meantime, her two girlfriends at preschool have just potty trained so my dd decided she wanted to wear panties, too. For three days now she has been in panties and pull-ups and does an excellent job with peeing on the potty. She rarely ever has an accident! But then comes time for the poop... She cannot help herself -- even in her pretty panties, she still sits on her poop and makes a big mess. She agreed with me to a bribe of a chocolate chip in exchange for her pooping on the potty. (I would NEVER normally do this, but I'm desperate.) As excited as she'll be about the idea of pooping on the potty, it seems she just can't help herself from holding.

Any suggestions on how to help her break through on this? I had thought introducing the potty as a new, exciting option, that perhaps holding the poop would lose some of its appeal. Any ideas from your experience with potty training and poop holding would be much appreciated. Thanks so much!
#2 of 4 Old 04-13-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi:

I read yor message and it was because I am having the same problem with my 32 motn old boy. He is being in a stool softener sice he was 5 months old and still holds his BM. I reda about your Custom Bach Floral Remedie. could you explain what it is to me and if it did work? We are pretty desperate now as it gets more and more difficult to convinced him to poop.
Thanks
#3 of 4 Old 04-13-2008, 07:05 PM

Just for clarification - is she still on the Miralax? If so, you may want to taper off, now that she has broken the habit of holding.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#4 of 4 Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Hi. Our 2 1/2 yr old can HOLD IT IN ... it has been going on for almost a year on and off. We too have tried everything and have also been to a naturopath who prescribed flower essenses. For almost 3 weeks once on the FE, she had totally normal, no issue, no holding it in, poop. we thought we were seeing the light at the end the tunnel....but it's happening again.
then our naturopath told us that sometimes, after being on a flower essense, the symtoms actually get a bit worse then better, then resolved. so, we're not giving up in the FE's yet. we also give her flax oil and cod liver oil every morning and as of yet, have not given her any laxatives.
ahh...it has been so stressful and definitely the hardest thing we've been through thus far as parents. our ped doesn't seem concerned about any colon damage and says it's a phase a lot of toddlers go through so that is why i've not given her a laxative yet and hope to not have to. there are herbal ones though which are a bit less intense...
when she finally does poop (sometimes after holding it for 5 days) it's big but NOT constipated and hard so i know she's well hydrated and it's not a constipation thing.
and she tells me it doesn't hurt (because sometimes when she gets that feeling to poop, she screams like she is in the worst pain and holds her butt cheeks in sooo tightly) she does however tell me she's scared and doesn't like the way it feels.
so once she told us that, picking out the flower essenses was easy and we know it's an emotional attachment thing. for the mom sho asked about the flower essenses...a naturopathic doctor will have a list of all the flower essenses and they each have a description for what they will help with. our dd's is a mixture of three different ones.

this has truly been challening and i feel a bit of relief that other's are going through this (i mean, i wish NONE of us were going through this!!!)
our dd is also pretty much potty trained and if i don't have to go anywhere, i can usually get her to go poop in the potty...otherwise if we're out and she has a dipe on she will not let the poop out and she'll scream bloody murder if i try to take her to a public potty to poop!
oy!

anyway, sorry this long....
this too shall pass....right???

happy in the hills with our little star born 11-4-05
coparenting with my love

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page