what kind of sippy does your LO use? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm interested in getting an aluminum sippy for dd (she's 15 mos), but can't decide on which one to get. What's been your experience and what's your favorite one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 AM

I got a sigg for my 2.5 yo but she's not quite able to screw the top open and closed, especially in bed. I'm sure she'll get the hang of it though. I'm not sure if sigg has a toddler adapter for the spout. I would have gotten her a kleen kanteen, but I hate the avent sippy tops. I'm planning to get a born free sippy for my 9 month old.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 03:04 AM

I got the Klean Kanteen. I like that it's made of stainless steel, not aluminum. I also like that the mouth is wide enough for me to get a dish rag in it and hand wash. It doesn't spill, and doesn't need a lid. The only thing that bothers me is that it gets really cold, I need to buy a little neoprene sleeve for it.

#4 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 AM

I like the Thermos brand with the straw top. It's stainless steel inside and out and the top closes over the straw. Got mine at Target.
#5 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 AM

DS drinks ebm at daycare in a Born Free sippy and when we are out he drinks water out of a Sigg sippy cup.
#6 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 04:52 AM

No sippy. Just a plain ol' glass since she was about a year.
#7 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 09:25 AM

I like our Thermos Foogo cups. The decorative plastic trim around the bottom cracks pretty easily when getting dropped off a high chair, but that doesn't affect the function of the cup.
#8 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 AM

We use the Thermos Foogo and Born Free sippy cups. DS always seems to prefer drinking out of our glasses though

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#9 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM
p.s

ds' babysitter tried a huge selection of sippy cups with him, all of which he refused. His drinking vessel of choice is always whatever you are using.
#10 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemk View Post
I got the Klean Kanteen. I like that it's made of stainless steel, not aluminum. I also like that the mouth is wide enough for me to get a dish rag in it and hand wash. It doesn't spill, and doesn't need a lid. The only thing that bothers me is that it gets really cold, I need to buy a little neoprene sleeve for it.
:
We have a sigg as well, and it's great for my 4yo but the baby can't use it.
#11 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM

We use Kleen Kanteens (all of us) when out and about. I often put the sippy attachment on top of my big 40 oz bottle because I don't mind drinking out of it and ds tends to take too much (and then spit it out) if I offer him some from the sports top. At home, ds drinks out of a regular glass (sips of mine).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 12) in a small house with a lot of love.
#12 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Never used sippy cups at home, just regular glasses. Out and about we've used the Thermos Foogo. They are stainless, hold up well to my rambunctious ds, and keep drinks cold for a long time, even when we were in the desert.
#13 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...archid=6983050

There are several.

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 & 12) in a small house with a lot of love.
#14 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby View Post
I like the Thermos brand with the straw top. It's stainless steel inside and out and the top closes over the straw. Got mine at Target.
My kids (1 and almost-3) got these in their Christmas stockings this year, and it's the first thing my son talks about when asked "what did you get for Christmas?" He loves it. I've tried just about every stainless/aluminum sippy/water bottle I know of (we have an internet store, and I plan to carry one, but wasn't sure which one). I prefer stainless steel to aluminum (the coating that isn't supposed to come off still makes me a little nervous, plus my 3-year-old has trouble screwing the spout on a Sigg open-and-closed by himself. I like Kleen Kanteen with the sport top, but agree with whoever said they don't like Avent sippy tops--my 1-year-old won't really drink out of it with the sippy top on. We also tried the Safe Sippy--it's cute, but I don't care for the top on it (sort of a sippy-straw hybrid, I suppose, but you still have to tip it back) and it's sort of a pain to wash, because the little "sleeve" comes off really easily, but is sort of difficult to put back on.

Anyway, the Thermos brand one is our favorite (I don't doubt that my son is influenced by the fact that it has "Lightning McQueen" on it), with the Kleen Kanteen with a sport bottle top a close second.
#15 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

We use Siggs here... I haven't tried the Kleen Kanteen but they're also supposed to be good. Honestly, we got Siggs instead of KK because they were in our local health food store, no real one-is-better-than-the-other reason!

DD has her little Sigg which we use only for out and about. At home, just regular glasses.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#16 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 04:05 PM

We've been using the Thermos Foogoo...but I am having a lot of problems with getting the top on correctly...it regularly takes me about 15 mintues to get it to go on right (so that the spout is in the right position and it doesn't leak)...anybody have any tips or tricks for that?

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#17 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 06:33 PM

This makes me feel very mainstream, but we use the (plastic) Luv'n Care straw cups. I wanted a straw cup instead of a sippy cup. She likes to drink out of regular cups and does fine with them, until she decides to dump them : They're small and light-weight enough for my tiny DD to carry around. We've never had an issue with leaking, even after being thrown down from a high chair, tossed in diaper bag, etc (unlike similar straw cups we've tried). They're cheap enough to have a collection (one in carseat, one in diaper bag, several in dishwasher, one in her hand, one somewhere one the floor in her playroom ...)

I've considered buying a nice metal one, but I haven't managed to make myself spend the money to try them out yet I'm with everyone on the concerns about leaching plastic.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#18 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM

sigg

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
#19 of 23 Old 01-17-2008, 12:39 AM

We have both a Sigg and a KK for DD. Although I love how bright and cheerful the Sigg is, the twist top is frustrating (at 29 months she still can't fully open it, and doesn't understand to close it), and also it got dropped once, dented, and the paint chipped.

The KK isn't as pretty, but it's almost foolproof. I don't mind the Avent sippy attachments (indeed we have a couple of Avent sippies themselves for backup) and DD likes her "metal cup". My only complaint is that the logo came off after a couple of washes, but oh well.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#20 of 23 Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS (27 mo) got a sigg for christmas. He likes the cute dragon design but as mentioned in pps the twist top is difficult to open. He has also figured out that it is not spill proof and now I can't give it to him in the car b/c he purposely spills it all over his pants...I'm actually thinking about getting him a kleen kanteen and using the avent tops until he's a bit older.

also someone told me that the epoxy used on the siggs is bad for the earth so kleen kanteen may be more earth friendly...not sure if this is true though
#21 of 23 Old 01-17-2008, 12:52 AM

Klean Kanteen all the way.

Homebirthing, homeschooling AP, gardening maniac running a working farm. No circ, no vax, no cable TV. EC'd and CD'd, tandem BF'd.  Cheese and soap making goat and child herder.
#22 of 23 Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 AM

Not trying to hijack but -Anybody else have trouble with the Avent tops leaking on the Kleen Kanteen? I love the idea of them but I hate how mine seem to leak all the time!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#23 of 23 Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsunshinemama View Post
Not trying to hijack but -Anybody else have trouble with the Avent tops leaking on the Kleen Kanteen? I love the idea of them but I hate how mine seem to leak all the time!
Ours dribble a bit, but not enough to be a bother.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page