What is the best chair for potty learning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 2yr old is showing a ton of interrest in the potty. The chair we have does not cover him and it will go on the floor. What is a good chair to buy and should I go with a system like that Potty pete thing fron Dr. Phil? Or ther potty chair book set?

Just wondering what worked for you. I really would like to have only one in diapers! That would save me on laundry big time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 06:19 PM

I bought the little insert ring that goes on the toilet. That way I didn't have a c hair that I had to clean and she seemed to get the hang of it because she saw us sitting on there.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:24 PM

I really like the Baby Bjorn potty. We had the same problem. My first was a girl, so this had never occurred to me, but one of my boys just can't get the hang of. "Put your penis in the potty." The BB potty has a nice high guard. It is also really easy to empty and clean. I have 2 other potties, one is a nice wooden one with a rack for books and a place for TP. I would take the BB potty any day. Of course, whoever thought that a two year old should have access to their own roll of TP clearly doesn't have children!

Trying to get my bearings...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Funny! We have that TP protector on our roll. DS enjoyed flushing and watching the paper unroll right off the roll and down the toilet!

I tried to tell him to put his peins in the potty but he wants it "out" and that, well is not going to work very well!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM

I have the Safety 1st potty and am very pleased. It is simple, cheap, easy to clean, and I love the pee pee shield for my boy. We use it as a step stool as well and it is easy to carry from one bathroom to another or bring it to grandma's house.

http://www.safety1st.com/product/detail.asp?ID=2634

Happy Wife & Mama to 1 boy 12/6/05
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM

We have the Baby Bjorn little potty, which ds loved. He's now more interested in our Baby Bjorn potty chair. We also have the regular toilet seat insert, but he's a bit unsure about using that. He'll go on the toilet, but only if I'm sitting behind him on the seat.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 PM

We sit him on the big potty facing backwards.

he flushes LOTS. but it all goes in this way.

We have 2 different ring inserts and he can't get the hang getting his penis in the right direction.

DH tried again last night to use a seat on the potty and I banned him from doing it agani. DS called for me and I was kneeling in front of him and he let lose all down the front of me. NOT fair when he is mostly potty trained. So no more rings for us.

ETA: We don't have room for a chair in our house...we live in 500 sq feet and there is about to be 4 of us. The bathroom is not big...at all.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 PM

i really like the potty chair book set thingy. it's nice beacuse they can sit on it forward or backward without issues and it fits nicely.
my only issue is keeping ds from throwing his toys in the potty too

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Xoe

Small potties on the floor allow a child who is self-motivated to access the potty and claim it for his own/access it as his own will. I bought 4 potties in total for my dd, plus toilet ring inserts for after she was potty trained. (I was experimenting.) She loved her potties, and they could be moved around the house to accomodate her in the beginning. For ex...in the early days, we'd keep a potty wherever she was playing-- living room, her bedroom, the kitchen. (We live on 3 floors.) Then we gave her plenty of naked time, and she'd go without even asking anyone. After several months she got really good at using the potty, so then we moved them to the bathrooms. After a year and a half, she got to the point where she transitioned to using the toilet with ease. She'd put the insert in it herself. Then 3-4 months after that, she realized she could hoist herself up on the toilet and balance on the edge of the seat, using her hands for stability. Once she started doing that, we put the inserts away.

The toilets we have include the baby bjorn (which we now keep in the car, in case of emergencies.) A talking/singing potty that has a lid that says up/down/open/close and a handle that makes flushing sounds, and a fake toilet paper roll that sings about how you use it. Since my dd started training at 17 months, it was a great intro to the toilet, plus various words and songs. And I have a Royal Potty that makes a bliiiing sound when your child sits on the toilet or tinkles. (However, that potty is too sensitive to any movement, so I would not suggest it.) At some point you may find you have to turn off the noise on these toilets, or take out the batteries, as they can distract from the real job. But otherwise, they are great for a kid who's afraid of the toilet, or needs to learn the concepts the potty teaches. I have a travel potty that folds flat, but since it's been lost most of the time, I don't really use it. The few times I have used it though, it's been fine. I think it's important that once your child is training, you don't put him in a position where he has to be asked to pee in a diaper because you are out of the house. If he asks to use the potty out of the house, then you should accomodate him, imo.

hope that helps.

xoe
Old 01-17-2008, 09:33 PM

I have a toilet ring insert that has handles for them to hold onto. It was from Target for about $12. I love it because they have to hold on anyway, and this way they aren't holding onto the toilet itself or the seat. My 21 mo. old has been using it for several months. I threw away the little potty I had because it got so gross to clean and took up too much room.

Good luck!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM

when ds was first learning, we used one similar to the above Bjorn little potty. Once he was able to let us know before he needed to use the potty, we went to the insert with pee guard, now he uses that, and a step stool so he can get up there.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 PM

We also have a baby bjorn little potty - and a boon potty bench - and a Dora ring for the big toilet. DD has now been out of diapers for about 2 months and we still keep the boon potty bench in the living room for times she REALLY has to go - it is nice because when it is closed, it just looks like a bench - and it has a little removable pee splash guard for boys - and a side compartment for TP and one for toys or other misc things.
good luck!

namaste.gif
Chelsea - proud mama of my Rosie 7/05 and Sammy 7/07   homebirth.jpgnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 PM

we have the baby bjorn, and its great. we also have a toilet ring insert that works well. we like to take the baby bjorn in tha car, and offer it to him before we go to the playround, grocery shopping, or any other outing where we might not have immeadiate access to a toilet.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Looks like the baby bijorn is up there on the list. Now to find one here. I might have to get it off line. No stores around here carry them.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Target used to have them. I dont know if they still do. Loved the baby bjorn. I have it in my van for emergency potty breaks.

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
We also have the regular toilet seat insert, but he's a bit unsure about using that. He'll go on the toilet, but only if I'm sitting behind him on the seat.
I am having a hard time picturing this. How does this work?

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Anyone tried this?

http://www.flipnflush.com/flip.html

I've had it recommended but am not sure what I think.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 PM

We've had the Once Upon a Potty potty and book and a couple of toilet seat thingies, but I am trying to get as much plastic out of our lives as possible, so now dd has an antique ironstone chamberpot and a comfy Made in USA soft potty seat that goes on our regular toilet. She loves that seat, she brought it to my cousin's b-day party last weekend! LOL
If you're interested in a plastic alternative, Nova Natural is selling an enamelware potty: http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A...=2&category=61 Hey, if your dc doesn't like it/use it, you could always sell it on the TP or use it as a flowerpot (or a hat, or a milk bowl for the cat..., sorry couldn't help myself....)

so many roads to ease my soul...

Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsage View Post
Anyone tried this?

http://www.flipnflush.com/flip.html

I've had it recommended but am not sure what I think.
I looked at that one but ended up buying this one because it looks more durable and doesn't scream "potty seat". http://trendykid.com/store/catalog/F...t_p_17165.html
It just looks like a regular toilet seat. It's a nice seat, but the hole in the small seat is too far back from the edge so dd prefers to sit on the big seat. The flipnflush one looks like it would be more comfortable for a toddler. We also have a Baby Bjorn potty chair. (got at Babies R Us) It is really easy to clean. No little cracks to get yucky. Dd likes having her own seats but mostly uses the big potty (or her diaper!) anyway. I'm still thinking I might try the flipnflush one anyway. Like momofsage, I'd like to hear opinions on this one, too.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
Old 01-19-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
I bought the little insert ring that goes on the toilet. That way I didn't have a c hair that I had to clean and she seemed to get the hang of it because she saw us sitting on there.
I agree. Who needs a bowl of poo?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Xoe

Looking for the Baby Bjorn? Three of my 4 potties were purchased at Target, so that's a good place to start. (The travel one that folds flat was found at Burlington Coat Factory.) Also, I think Babies R Us carries both the short and the tall Baby Bjorn.

Good luck with the training!

xoe
Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 AM

I did the toilet ring too with a step stool. DD also loved to flush. She was completely out of diapers by her 2nd birthday.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

None of the Targets here carry them. they have them online but you have to pay shipping unless it is over $50.00.
I guess I could find something else to make it $50.00!!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkirche View Post
I have the Safety 1st potty and am very pleased. It is simple, cheap, easy to clean, and I love the pee pee shield for my boy. We use it as a step stool as well and it is easy to carry from one bathroom to another or bring it to grandma's house.

http://www.safety1st.com/product/detail.asp?ID=2634
We have this one too and love it! We also have a seat for the toilet that I use if I think that he will poop-less clean up .

:

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05

User Tag List