Robeez and gendering rant--just me? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the ones ds has, they are white and light blue with a dragon fly

I'd just let her pick out the ones she likes, and don't think too much into it. She might go with a brown plain pair or the pink butterfly or the dinosaur. I agree that companies push gender items wayyyy to heavily, but we can choose to not care

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in JuneĀ bellyhair.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 02-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Yup, we're big joshoes fans here too! They are SO much more sturdy (yet flexible) than robeez, too, and much more customizable (tightness of elastic, wide widths, etc). Plus, her customer service rocks.
#33 of 42 Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM

I HATE all the sports stuff for boys. It's either sports or fire trucks. So annoying.

Mama to two lovely boys and a new baby due mid-May 2011
#34 of 42 Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
As my boys got bigger I switched to Preschoolians which in all sizes have nicer, less gender specific styles to select from. But as you get bigger their always flexible soles get thicker (so they may not be suede bottom depending on the size a child needs). http://preschoolians.com/ I was really happy with their company though.

Preschoolians also has a design your own section where you can pick which colors go where. And they have plenty of different animal designs.
#35 of 42 Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

OP, here: Thanks so so much for all the suggestions, mamas! Big help. Several kinds I want to try--think I will go for the Joshoes first. They sound fab.

And, also reassuring that I am not alone! When ranting, it is nice not to feel like the ONLY one, lol. Enjoy readings everyone's comments on this. I do agree with a pp-- I think that many many parents love and seek out the hyper-gender clothes and toys and shoes, and agree, this is in part why the companies sell these. I am sure those princesses are one of the top selling shoes. ***BUT-- this goes both ways. People soak up the messages that their culture offers. And in our case, most 'messaging' is provided in the marketplace. Of COURSE parents buy the 'girl' and 'boy' things; they, like all of us, have received the masculine boy=trucks and sports, feminine girl=pink princess their whole lives too. We are all taught this is the 'right' way to be. And these companies are doing the 'teaching'. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Love to all you mothering mamas! You're the best.
#36 of 42 Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 PM

I just bought some joshoes fleece lined for $10. My daughter is mostly in See Kai Runs and Barely Barefoot now, but these were too cute to resist.
#37 of 42 Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
I do agree with a pp-- I think that many many parents love and seek out the hyper-gender clothes and toys and shoes, and agree, this is in part why the companies sell these. I am sure those princesses are one of the top selling shoes. ***BUT-- this goes both ways. People soak up the messages that their culture offers. And in our case, most 'messaging' is provided in the marketplace. Of COURSE parents buy the 'girl' and 'boy' things; they, like all of us, have received the masculine boy=trucks and sports, feminine girl=pink princess their whole lives too. We are all taught this is the 'right' way to be. And these companies are doing the 'teaching'. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Love to all you mothering mamas! You're the best.
That was me (or at least I was one of those who said it). Have you read Packaging Girlhood? I'm reading it at the moment and it's interesting. DH is getting tired of me rant about it all, but hopefully some of it is sinking in...

O/T a bit... but I've always considered myself a relatively gender-neutral parent - I don't buy lots of froth or pink or anything for DD (although I did buy her a tutu - I always wanted a tutu LOL). But her uncle bought her a bunch of Amazing Machine books for Christmas and she adores them. I've never bought her anything like that - and when I sat down to analyze it - I've never bought anything that was actually "boyish" - her books, her toys etc were either girlish, or more likely neutral (animals, etc). Then we went to gym class with a friend with twin boys the same age and I was stunned how they could already stickhandle a puck, throw a ball, and realized I haven't provided her any of those opportunities either. It really opened my eyes to how even those of us who are aware of stereotyping still can get sucked into it. Ok... that was really O/T!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#38 of 42 Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 AM
arb

Isabooties: I have tried them and I love them. Well made, and machine washable too.

Also try these: Bambinos, from Babies Beyond Borders.

http://babiesbeyondborders.com/catalog.php?category=3

They are not entirely free from the gender divide problem, but they do have a few good options. My daughter loved the elephant ones.
#39 of 42 Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM

Oooh I do like those Baminos...

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#40 of 42 Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Love love love Isabooties, but right now we have a great pair of Wiggees - the tan moccasins. I have been very pleased with them, and my DD loves them. They have a nice selection of gender neutral shoes.
I am wanting to do design your own preschoolians soon, when $ allows, and the other kind I would like to try is Soft Star Shoes, which also have a design your own, and run birth - ADULT!!! Ooooh, mama wants a pair too!

ETA: as a mom of 3 girls, I am so over pink.... I too wish it was easier to get sturdy, well made things (clothes and shoes) in fun, GN colors and patterns.... but that is a whole 'nother thread!!!

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#41 of 42 Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 AM

there are lots of people on etsy who offer handmade shoes similar to robeez in a zillion different styles.
#42 of 42 Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 PM

Jack and Lily have some pretty cute gender neutrals. Animals and the like. http://www.jackandlily.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page