Resistant to teeth brushing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what do you do with a toddler (16 mo old), who refuses to have his teeth brushed. I don't want to make him and we limit sugar, but he does eat some dried fruit and the occassional sweet thing, so I really want to make sure he gets his teeth cleaned at bedtime.

I'm sure that tying him up on the bed isn't an option!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 02:02 AM

We just give DD a toothbrush and model good tooth brushing and she does some brushing, some chewing, and some night she just won't. I think they have baby teeth for a reason...I can't stand to see a child pinned downed to have them brushed. Sometimes we make it a game and talk about all of the people we know who brish their teeth....we also have two brushes...one for her to hold and one for us to help with.

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 AM

This:
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-501.../dp/B000GKU7C0
has helped us somewhat. I also hold dd on my hip and brush my teeth in the mirror (no toothpaste) while she holds her own brush and she has started to brush a bit. Then I have a "turn" with her brush. We keep a baby toothbrush in every bathroom and get her to try a few times per day when we think of it. And uh, yes they have baby teeth for a reason, to place hold their adult teeth and it is quite important to keep baby teeth healthy.

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 AM

my DS loves the spin brush! He even asks for it now and brushes for several minutes at a time

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

Old 02-01-2008, 05:51 AM

I had a hard time with this too. Ds would not let me brush his teeth and I tried everything you could think of.

now, our solution is that I tickle ds and make silly faces, and while he is laughing with his mouth open I get a quick brush in there. He thinks it's funny, and now whenever I get the toothbrush he starts giggling.

Whimsy
Old 02-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunningmama View Post
And uh, yes they have baby teeth for a reason, to place hold their adult teeth and it is quite important to keep baby teeth healthy.
I didn't mean that we shouldn't take care of them...I just meant that perhaps not all of us will get the full 2 minutes of brushing in two-three times a day and that is ok. For a mom having trouble getting little one to brush don't you think it is better to do what you can to promote a good "teeth brushing attitude" rather than pinning them down and making it a miserable experience...we are building their habits for when they do get those grown up teeth in.

Married to Mike blowkiss.gif(5/29/05) and mama to Emmie energy.gif (6/11/06), Chase superhero.gif(3/21/08) and our baby Parker lost at 16 weeks angel2.gif (2/22/10) , Sawyer joy.gif our rainbow1284.gif (7/11/11) and a girl baby.gif on the way in April! 
Old 02-01-2008, 03:29 PM

We use puppets; the puppet "holds" the toothbrush in his mouth, and DD loves it! He brushes her teeth, and they she brushes his.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 02-01-2008, 04:24 PM

We have been doing the turn taking method and it works reasonably well. Lately, DS has been getting better at his technique (less chewing the brush and more actual brushing his teeth). I've also started brushing his tongue which he finds very humorous. I brush with water only first and then give DS his brush with toddler toothpaste when I'm done. Many times he squeezes the toothpaste on himself so that gives him a little extra incentive to cooperate. If he isn't being cooperative, I still try to brush them but I don't do as good of a job.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Here's what I do with my two year old:

I announce: "It's teeth brushing time! Let's brush grandma's teeth." We each get a tooth brush and go to a framed photo of grandma that is hanging on the wall. DD intently "brushes" grandma's teeth and I sneak the brush into DD's mouth. Grandma gets lots of smears but it works great.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM

we pin ds down and brush. Its the only way, he has a bad oral aversion and also extreme decay in his upper teeth, so we force it.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 PM

We're having this issue with dd as well. My ped suggested having her help brush mama and papa's teeth (with lots of talking--"Oh, we missed this tooth", etc.), and then us brushing hers--both as a way to make it a game and a way to demonstrate how you brush your teeth. Dd actually loves her toothbrush--but she just kind of chews on it instead of brushing.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:56 PM

If my DS is fighting it I'll admit I hold him down and force it (and he's 3 1/2 now). I figure it's better than holding him down at the dentist's office to get a tooth filled or pulled. At his first dentist visit the dentist suggested that if they really fight it, brushing at night is better than not brushing at all because it keeps the food residue from sitting in their mouth all night while they're sleeping. Things that have helped him from fighting it are a wide selection of toothbrushes (5, including 1 spin brush ) and toothpastes (I think we have 4, one of which is a little travel tube) to choose from. He's groovin' on his Sponge Bob spin brush and Diego toothpaste at the moment.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM

Youtube. We started with brushing his teeth while watching a youtube video related to toothbrushing - search baby brush teeth, cat brush teeth, David Chicken brusha yo teeth...those were great successes. Nowadays he makes requests for what he wants to watch while brushing his teeth.

Also, the Consensual Living yahoo group has a file with alot of great info about toothbrushing, and how it just might not be that important after all.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

User Tag List