Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 213 Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday Suriya!!!!

gingerstar, thankyou. I don't feel wise most of the time, but I love you anyway

Honeytree, River's first day pictures are HERE- plus, obviously, a smattering of later ones all over the yarn crafts forum : He gets measured tomorrow, and I can't wait to find out how long he is. I really want to fold him up and pop him back in for a couple of minutes just to see how he fitted - if I sit him between my legs, his head is between two and three ribs up, so I have no idea where a little shortarse like me put him.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#63 of 213 Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 AM

I've been cleaning like crazy too. My MIL arrives today, so I spent the better part of yesterday deep-cleaning every room in the house while simultaneously feeling like crap. I don't know if it's the hormones from the pill or if I am/was fighting something off, but man, all I wanted to do was go back to bed. But anyway, now the spare bedroom is finally set up and the house looks and smells great, so I'm glad I did it. I am looking forward to being able to get lots of little things done while MIL is here, like finally go to the DMV and get my Indiana license and registration, do some touch-up painting around the house, go to the gyno for my pap and to get my IUD out, and just generally have an extra body around to keep Brynn occupied!! She's staying with us for a week, so I might be ready to pull my hair out by the end of the week - we'll see.

I had the weirdest, sad dream last night. I dreamt that I was pregnant, and it was the day before my due date. I was at the birthing center, which was also the perinatal clinic, and realized while I was there that my belly was really small - like 5-6 months size. I got really upset and worried, and went to the reception desk in tears telling them that something might be wrong and that I needed them to listen for the baby's heartbeat. They said that the soonest they could get me in for a check was in SIX WEEKS! I said, "Six weeks? My due date is *tomorrow*!!" and then remembered in that moment that I hadn't had a perinatal check-up since my first visit, around 13 weeks or something like that. They continued to be unhelpful so I left, in tears, and thought, "I need to call Kavita and see if she has a stethescope!" My dream ended around that time, so I don't know if I got in touch with Kavita or not. It was really sad though. I have no idea where that come from.....

My other news is that I'm going up to IU tomorrow to talk with my PhD advisors, and to have lunch with one of my good friends. I'm taking Brynn (and MIL) and I'm really excited to get to show Brynn off again. They haven't seen her since she was 8 1/2 months old, and it was actually during that visit that she took her first steps! But she wasn't really talking yet, so this will be fun for them to get to hear how funny she is. So by tomorrow night, I should probably be really close to a decision about where to go with it.

Kaspirant, that is really cool about your baby shower! Congrats on raching SAHM-dom!!!

Sarah, that sounds awesome! One day I hope we can visit each other, and you can make one of your famously delicious dishes for me!

Happy birthday, Suriya!

Mel, on the car!

Monique, sorry you're feeling cruddy.

Gunter, have a wonderful Blessing today!

HoneyTree, good job on the talk. Doesn't it feel good to be on the same page?

Kavita, Godspeed, Mama. (And keep your stethescope handy, K?)

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#64 of 213 Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM

Amy, good luck with your meeting. I hope your colleagues enjoy Brynn's wonderfulness. And crazy, crazy dream.

Helen, I'm guessing from your siggie that he's staying River?!

Gunter, I hope you're having a great blessing today.

Happy belated birthday, Suriya! Two toddlers...yikes!

Neela is wavering between being "big" and "little", but tilting towards bigness recently. Over the last few days she rarely wants to sit on her booster (despite the fact that she can't reach the table well, so sits on a big chair with her food in her lap), on the big toilet without the potty insert "and no holding me", etc. A few days ago we were going to read a book "not on your lap, mummy, I'm sitting beside you". I told her that I was happy to see her grow up so big, but that I was a little sad about her feeling to big to sit on my lap. She decided that it would be okay to sit on my lap sometimes, then. Even with nursing she sometimes asks to nurse, gets positioned then tells me she's too big. Of course as soon as I tell her that she doesn't have to nurse, she latches on ferociously.

And today while we were out she asked me "mummy, did you make me?"
I said, "Yes, I guess I did". She replied "yes, you put on my head, then put on my nose, then put on my face, then I was... Neela!" and jumped in the air for emphasis. I love her to bits

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#65 of 213 Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 AM

Yep. River is River. Nothing else fits him. There's a couple of new pictures on the blog, btw.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#66 of 213 Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM

hey mamas,

today makes me officially pregnant for the longest time that i have ever been pregnant. there's probably a better way to say that...i need to figure it out, too so i can say it all day. anyway, ez was already born at this point in my last pregnancy. so, even though i have had bhx all night for the past two nights, i am still preggo! woo hoo!

my mother's blessing was the most fabulous event i have ever attended. my best friend worked her ass off to make it so special and rich for everyone. i feel so supported and loved and just held together by my friends. i started crying even in the beginning as we went around the circle introducing ourselves by saying who are grandmothers, mother, and children (including losses and future hopes and currents and those in the womb!) are. my mil went first and i cried as she said the names of my family b/c i just love all of them so much. stuff with mil has been wacky but she is really good-hearted...just really confused and mixed up about how to go about giving.

after intros, we started by playing some music to break the ice, people washed my feet, lit from a unity candle and said a blessing directly to me, then strung their bead after telling me about why they chose it, and gave me the written blessing so i can add it to my scrapbook (ez has one that we read on her birthdays). then we created this web of string and everyone tied a piece to their wrists to pray/remember me. i thanked everyone through my tears of joy. we had a fabulous vegan potluck spread, tie dyed onsies and some for ez while some people henna-ed my belly. such a celebration!

here are some pictures from my friend's flickr site.

only wish you all lived close by and could have joined us. making the transition to motherhood with you all has been a great joy! thank you.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#67 of 213 Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM

Oh Gunter-

YOu're blessing sounds so beautiful!! I loved looking at the pictures, and you look fabulous pregnant!!

Isaac is growing up so fast right before my eyes. I just can't believe it. Sometimes things come out of his mouth that I just wonder, "Where the heck did my little baby go?" He's still my baby in so many needcomfortfromyoumama kind of ways... but he's gotten so independent.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#68 of 213 Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Gunter

Danile, IKWYM. Pesky habit these children have of growing up, I wish they'd stop it.

#69 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Gunter, the blessing looks beautiful! I'm so happy that you had such a special day.

Mel, that was so cute about Neela discussing how you made her! Brynn said something similar the other day, but it was about how Jason made *me*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
Amy, good luck with your meeting.
Well I had a very good visit to school today and have decided to go ahead and plunge back into academia! I am partially , partially :. It's weird. I am lucky though that I have a *very* supportive advisor and people in the department who are totally behind me. That is so important, especially with how much more challenging this is going to be at this point in my life versus when I was single and in my twenties and only responsible for myself.

So now, we just have to work on the logistics. I want to get back to work "officially" this summer, so we have to figure out childcare until the time that Waldorf nursery school starts, which is the end of August. The options we're talking about are hiring a babysitter (but it would be very expensive), swapping babysitting with some friends (cough! cough! Kavita cough! cough!), or having MIL come live with us for the summer. A part of me thinks that would be the easiest, but seriously, I don't know if I could have *anyone* live with us for THREE MONTHS. So we'll have to figure it out in the coming weeks.

OK gotta go put the self-proclaimed baby crocodile to bed.

#70 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 AM

Amy-

Big changes for you!!! SO excited for you though! I threw my debate about going back to college around for awhile... ultimately, I knew it was the right choice and things would fall into place. I hope you have a blast and that it goes by quickly for you!

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#71 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 AM

i just wanted to pop in and say that i am so sorry i have been so mia lately!
i have been reading along, and have just not had the time or energy to post.

but i am so excited for you mamas soon to have your babies! gunter, gorgeous pictures. kaspirant, the shower sounds lovely. yay for being done!!!!

helen, your river is a stunner, he is. absolutely beautiful, and i especially adore the photo of you smiling at him.

fern, i know you are probably not reading this, but your rue bee is beautiful! and we will miss you around here. come and visit when you can!

amy, how exciting about going back to school! maybe when your MIL is visiting, you'll get a feel for whether or not you could take 3 months or not.

i know i am forgetting so many pieces of news, but i will catch back up!

life is good here. the strike is over!!! well, it will be official on wednesday, but it is basically over!!! i am thrilled, and anxiously awaiting to see how things unfold from here.

finley is a delight. he insists he is a "big boy" and not a little boy.

more soon!
to all!
#72 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 12:15 PM

happy belated birthday, suriya! will you remind me how you chose her name? i am in name choosing limbo these days. the babe's womb name is buxton, which is our favorite town on the beach. but most people know it as "cape hatteras" not the actual town where it is so it would be unique still/not as popular.

helen- i was pulling for the name "river" all along. yay!

amy- uhm, wow and congrats to you for deciding to go for it! yay. that is tough to decide what to do about caring for brynn. can you handle jason's mom living with you all? i would not be able to handle my mil or my mom living with us, at all. obviously, you are comfy with it or you wouldn't be considering it, but that just sounds really big to me.

barcelon- no time or energy, huh? you okay? you preggers?

mel- ez loves to say, "i'm soo big." or "i'm so little." depending on what we are talking about or what we are doing. she goes back and forth throughout the weeks. with a babe on the way, "he's so little. i am so big." is what we consistently hear though. then she tells me "he will weigh 20 pounds." and we laugh hysterically at that!

#73 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Catching up on posts... haven't been able to get online in a couple days. A combo of mdc server being too busy and my internet service being screwy.

anyway.

Congrats Gunter on the "baby staying in" news. You only have a few more weeks left. I can't wait until you go though because I'm what, 3ish wks behind???

Today is Willem's bday. He's so proud of being four. These four years have gone so darn fast and yet seems to have dragged on too. I, anti-sugar mom, crumbled and made him chocolate box cake cupcakes frosted blue with gumdrop/yogurt raisin eyes... they look like froggy eyes peeping up from a pond. Twenty four of them to be exact... to take to school for his school birthday party. He hopped around like a frog all morning while getting ready to go.

Only when we got there, the doors were locked and the lights were off. Darn Pittsburgher's think that 4 inches of snow is enough to call off school.
Poor Willem. He has been looking forward to this for SO long. Now they are sitting the front seat of my car and I don't know what to do with them. Can't save them for Thursday's class because it's Valentines day and there will be plenty of sweet stuff then. :
#74 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
Only when we got there, the doors were locked and the lights were off. Darn Pittsburgher's think that 4 inches of snow is enough to call off school.
Poor Willem. He has been looking forward to this for SO long. Now they are sitting the front seat of my car and I don't know what to do with them. Can't save them for Thursday's class because it's Valentines day and there will be plenty of sweet stuff then. :
You should set up a random acts of kindness free cupcake stand. Then he could celebrate his birthday with lots of happy strangers

barcelona, I'm so happy for you that the strike is (almost) over. I hope you find some terrific work soon.

#75 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post

Awww, poor little guy! It's probably too late now, but can you invite a few of his friends over to share them?

Gunter, your blessing looked wonderful!

Barcelona, Rowan still insists that she's a baby. Or, like Brynn, a baby jaguar/puma/penguin/tree frog/panda/bear/kitty/macaw/whatever. (And yes, she does watch too much Diego.

Happy belated birthday Suriya!

Well, my dinner went well, but I feel like I've been going a million miles an hour since last week. Rowan didn't nap yesterday or the day before, I stupidly decided that $5 for 3 chickens was an awesome deal even if I did have to pluck and clean them myself and there went Sunday afternoon. Rowan did have a good time visiting the horses at the farm, but I was disappointed because the farm we went for the chickens was where my theoretically "free range" eggs were from, and I found out that the nice yolk colour was actually from some (albeit natural) feed additive, not the bugs and grass I had thought. Sigh. And the chickens the farmer gave me were by no means past their laying prime as they each had eggs still inside. Sigh again. I wanted OLD birds and they just didn't get it. People around here just do not understand how coq au vin happens.

Then yesterday I ended up making two different kinds of soup and canning most of it and doing all the laundry and cleaning and whatnot because I had an unexpectedly free afternoon because the little girl I look after didn't come (mama was sick)... today I get a break though - Rowan actually is napping now so I should be able to get my pilates in after my lunch digests a little, and it's her swimming night so I'll get a few hours to just sit and chill and do a little knitting. yay!

Ok, I think lunch is settling, so I'd better haul the mat and the DVD out while I have the chance. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Oh, I forgot to add - I meant to tell you all, Rowan is developing a devious streak. Yesterday she was puttering about and then looked at me and said "You go away, mummy" - which usually means she needs to poop and would like some privacy. I asked her if she wanted to go on the potty and she said "No, you go away mummy." I got suspicious, because she wasn't standing in her poo spot, and came back and the little monkey was busy collecting batteries from the battery drawer!!! She knows that she's not supposed to play with them, but for some reason she likes carrying them around (and one time she held two to her chest and said "Look at me! I have boobies!!!" which was actually pretty hilarious, especially since my boobies are in no way as perky as batteries.) Anyway, we had a little talk about WHY daddy's expensive rechargeable batteries are not toys and I think she gets it now. I don't want to have to move the battery drawer because that would necessitate a LOT of re-org and I'm just not in that headspace now. (bad mama, I know.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#76 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
happy belated birthday, suriya! will you remind me how you chose her name? i am in name choosing limbo these days. the babe's womb name is buxton, which is our favorite town on the beach. but most people know it as "cape hatteras" not the actual town where it is so it would be unique still/not as popular.
I've always had an affinity for Sanskrit names. I was searching online on baby naming websites and I looked down in my lap at the magazine I was reading. There was a picture of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' baby Suri on the cover so I went straight to the S names in the Sanskrit language and there it was. It hit me like a bolt of lightning "This is her name." It was like it was written in the stars, no pun intended. I truly feel that we don't choose our baby's name, they choose it for us. I've always had the bolt of lightning feeling when I find the right name. Hopefully it will happen for you that way too.
#77 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM

typing one handed, forgive the typos...

That is a beautiful name choosing moment, on the bolt of lightning- ITA! And because I think i missed it... happy bday suriya!

Spughy- don't feel bad for the battery drawer. ur post shows how much more capable you are than i because the day i pluck my own chicken is the day pigs fly.... And isaac has a MAJOR devious streak... we're working on that..

#78 of 213 Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM

G, I LOVED looking at those pictures--especially "creating the web"--what a beautiful moment! Thank you for sharing them.

Amy, I'll be thinking of you lots in the coming months. I can totally relate to the /:. I finished up my master's work the spring after the babies were born, and it was tough. But then it was done, and I had finished something that I was proud of, and that I needed in order to move on to the next phase of my life. And your work sounds fascinating, btw.

Sarah, Woody asks for privacy when he poops, too. I hadn't thought of the opportunities that privacy might present to an ingenious toddler...

On the name-choosing topic, I had to sit a while with Woody's name. I guess as soon as I thought of it I liked it, but I had to let it play in my mind some before I knew it was "the one." Even still, the Woody part was my choosing and his other two names were for his daddy. I'm still not in love with the way the whole thing comes together, but I guess these are the concessions we make in partnerhood...
#79 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
can you handle jason's mom living with you all?
Um, no. She's been here for all of three days, and I'm already like "shut up." Especially during American Idol tonight - nonstop commentary. SHUT. UP. That being said, her visit is fine, but the living-in option is off the table!

On the topic of names, I knew right away that Brynn was Brynn's name. Jason and I both totally agreed on it, and Amelia for her middle name too. I think it took us all of 10 minutes to decide. I agree with DiD; I think they pick their names and tell us! Even when I think, hmmm...if I had another baby, what would he/she be named? I can't come up with even one name that I love as much, for a boy or a girl. I guess that's a sign.

[whine] barcelona, when do we get to see you on teeee-veeeeee??? [/whine]

Oh, and I forgot to say that I got my hair all chopped off. It took me a few days to get used to it, but I think I'm liking it now. There's a picture in my most recent blog if you want to see.

#80 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 AM

Very cute Amy!

#81 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 03:39 AM

amy, i ADORE your hair!!! it is really beautiful. you can really pull it off.
as you know, i'm a fellow hair-fluctuator, and had that same cut when i was pregnant and a new mama. am still in the process of growing it out now, and i know one day i'll chop it all off again, but not now. anyway, i just love it, and i hope you are enjoying it and feeling free and feeling that part of you that comes out when you have that hairstyle...and how perfect and appropriate that it is how you wore it when in grad school. what an exciting and scary, but in a good way, time for you. i'm sure that something will come together in terms of childcare, something perfect and right.

gunter, i certainly don't think i'm pregnant, though i guess it's a very very small possibility. i hope not (because of career stuff). i'm not sure why i'm so tired. i think part of it, actually, is that i've had more energy in the day (due to a shift in diet), and have therefore, been more productive during the day. so when night comes, when i would normally type away, i'm really wiped. i read along every night, so i'm right here with y'all.

thanks for all the kind comments about my career. i hope something good works out. unfortunately, it looks like my episode that i have already taped from dirty sexy money won't be airing til september. i could be wrong, but that seems to be the info i'm getting from "underground" sources.

now, i am hoping that this other show, which also showed interest in me, will meet with me and write me on. we'll see. it's hard to know how things will pick up, given the strike we all went through.

spughy, your domestic goddess-ness never ceases to amaze me. and rowan sounds so adorable.

willemsmama, what a bummer about the cupcakes!!! i love the random act of kindness cupcake stand idea

happy belated bday, suriya!

as for names, i also *knew* with finley's name, although we did pick it out well before we met him. we had a couple of other back up options, so we could see what really fit him when we met him. when he was first born, he was so pure and beautiful, i couldn't even imagine giving him ANY name...like he was beyond a name. but, by the second day, his existence sunk in with us, and he was definitely finley.

did you all think about names before you had your babes, and have that *feeling* before they were born, or only after?
i think i had that feeling, that he was finley, before he was born...but wanted to be sure after we met him.
#82 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 10:59 AM

I knew Killy and Ellie's names before they were born. Before they were even conceived, actually - but I knew the names would fit them. Ya'll will probably think I'm a nut, but I knew their personalities before they were conceived, too. At times I had very strong sensations of their spirits around me, waiting.

Amy - I love your hair! That is totally the pixie cut I was thinking about getting. Just exactly! But I ended up doing a longer short-do to try out short hair, and that worked for the best because I don't think my hair would work in a pixie. Its uber-thick and I think I'd be a mushroom head all the time with super-short hair, plus it grows so fast I'd have to get it trimmed every 3-4 weeks I think (my hair grows at least an inch a month). So - to sum up - I LOOOOOOVE your hair, and I'm a bit jealous!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#83 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 PM

hi mamas and kiddos!

just poping in from the library, typing one handed because i have a delicious 2 1/2 week old baby in my arms life is bliss. im so happy..rue-bee is the happiest baby i have ever met..seriously. i just got her weighed and she has gained 10 oz in 7 in days, so my milk is plentiful, even though it feels like its not and it seems like she doesn't nurse enough..she nearly sleeps through the night most nights! and still sleeps lots in the day.

ngaio is a bit clingy and moody but mostly family life is pretty peachy.

gunter, thinking of you!

amy, love your hair.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#84 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Leah *told* me her name.

It was before my U/S where I found she was a girl. I *knew* she was a girl, and I *knew* she was Leah.

DH and I knew what the name would be if she were a boy. Boy names for us have always been easy, girl names not so much....

I was sitting in class entering grades into the computer while my kids were taking a test. I heard plain as day a voice say "My name is Leah" The room was silent. The kids were working. I was working.

I knew that she was telling me her name...I texted DH and said "what do you think of Leah Karlin" and he responded affirmatively... Karlin is her great grandmother's maiden name, whose birthday is Leah's due date. She is Leah. There is no question in my mind.
#85 of 213 Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Fern. I miss you, but I'm glad you're back to your blessed, peaceful life.

I can't believe 2 weeks ago I was sitting here swearing at the keyboard because my waters had broken and I had to jump off the UC fence one way or another. The time has gone so fast!

#86 of 213 Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 AM

monique- happy belated birthday to willem!!! we may end up giving birth at the same time if i can keep this babe in and you want to let yours out a lil early. as if it's up to us! i will be 38 weeks tomorrow and am so glad to get to grow this one a bit longer! how are you doing?

amy- love the hair! you are beautiful as ever. people that interrupt tv/movies are not to be lived with. how are your other options shaping up?

ezra had a name in the womb, "emmerson" and this babe's womb name is buxton. but i really agree with everyone who said they waited until meeting the babe earthside to get a feel for it. now, if your babe clearly communicates to you before that, that's totally worth listening to and trusting. if i had listened to a dream where ezra told me her name, she would be "dr. cinnamon". in the dream, i gave birth to her (in a public bathroom stall with my mom standing outside it). my mom asked, "what are you going to name her?" the babe turned around and said, "oh, my name is dr. cinnamon." very casually and normal like. i was so curious as to what kind of doc she was and how she had already gotten her PhD in 9 months!

#87 of 213 Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
amy- love the hair! you are beautiful as ever. people that interrupt tv/movies are not to be lived with. how are your other options shaping up?
Thanks! I'm getting used to it now and feel good about it for the most part. I'm not sure what we are going to end up deciding to do about childcare. My preference would be to find some nice high school student who wants a steady summer job, but Jason doesn't want to spend that much money. I wish Brynn were a year older because there is a beautiful Montessori magnet school less than 10 minutes from our house, which would be so nice because it would be FREE and so close! Maybe next year. Anyway, I think once MIL leaves, we'll sit down and look at our budget and try to figure it out!

Quote:
if i had listened to a dream where ezra told me her name, she would be "dr. cinnamon". in the dream, i gave birth to her (in a public bathroom stall with my mom standing outside it). my mom asked, "what are you going to name her?" the babe turned around and said, "oh, my name is dr. cinnamon." very casually and normal like. i was so curious as to what kind of doc she was and how she had already gotten her PhD in 9 months!
Oh my god! I actually remember you telling us that! That is hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspirant
I was sitting in class entering grades into the computer while my kids were taking a test. I heard plain as day a voice say "My name is Leah" The room was silent.
That totally made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! That's amazing.

We knew Brynn's name before she was conceived also. When I said her name, it was like I could hear something in addition to her name, like....a dulcimer being strummed. (That sounds really lame, but I don't know how else to describe it.) It just totally resonated with me, and still does.

Fern, so good to see you pop in! That's wonderful that Rue-Bee is such a sweet darlin. I hope Ngaio's adjustment begins to get a little easier for her. And I'm glad you made it home safely.

Jen, yeah I have really fine hair, which is why this is pretty much the best style for me. It's a bit longer on top and in the bangs than I would have preferred, but overall short hair makes it look like I actually have some texture.

Happy Valentine's Day, by the way! Tomorrow is the big hotel-date night. Woo-woo!!

#88 of 213 Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Happy Valentine's day, everyone! Though I secretly celebrate it as "Neela conception day". And basically can't ever do anything else that tops that for Valentines. Neela painted a ton of Valentine cards yesterday, including one for Santa Claus. We were going to have a date tonight, but our childcare fell through, so I'm making a nice dinner and bought a bottle of wine to celebrate at home.

Enjoy your date, Amy, and anyone else who has special plans

I look at our name list from time to time, since we had lots of options. Some of them seem so wrong now, and I was never really thrilled with any of our boy choices. We were pretty sure of Neela's name if she was a girl, and talked about it again while I was in labour, but I wanted to see her to be really sure that we had it "right". And the night that she was born I told everyone that "I think" her name is Neela, since I reserved the right to wake up and change my mind in the morning. By morning I was certain.

My other favourite girl name during my pregnancy was Lillian, which was my mum's middle name. I love it, but she hated it. I spent so much time agonizing over whether I could use it, since I think it's beautiful but worried that my mum wouldn't have been happy. It was actually a major stress for a while, so I just decided to drop it. But I still love it- I think if I had another girl I would likely name her Lillian.

The other funny thing about our name list was that so many of the Nov 05 babies are on there: there was a Lillian (beachbaby's I think?), Rowan, Ella, Gabriel, and I think someone else, too.

#89 of 213 Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM

Chiming in on the name thing. . .
We had a list of names before Keagan was born. . . we *knew* what the middle name would be for a girl (after my favorite aunt who died before we even were TTC) but we really had problems with names for a boy. We just couldn't find anything that resonated for us. We planned on not announcing anything for the first couple of days until we knew for sure. When he was 2 or 3 days old I experienced something like what kaspirant said - I just heard "Keagan" over and over. It was unreal. It took a day or two before Allison agreed to the name and the rest is history

As a side note:
Does anyone think that perhaps children in a way "live up to" their names? "Keagan" means passionate and fiery and boy, is he ever!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#90 of 213 Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 PM

I totally forgot that Valentine's Day was the day I concieved Isaac too!!! Weird! And such a romantic, nostalgic thought.

No such thing this year... thank goodness. I can't imagine a fourth child nine months from now! Thank goodness for breastfeeding spaced kids.

Hope you all are having a beautiful day!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page