~+~+~Nov 05 Mamas moving on into Feb ~+~+~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's last month's thread

I figure I'll just start this since I wanted to post this pic of Gabriel falling asleep at the table last night He refused to take a nap yesterday because he was so excited to see Willem. I had left G with dh while I went to pick W up from preschool. Apparently they had a wonderful time together. But something about getting out of the house and doing something without his older brother really made him miss him.
Needless to say I had a rough afternoon. But I got them dinner early, as in before dh came back from work.
Last thing I heard was "mommy, this is weeeawee good" a couple of seconds later I turn around and his head is down and he's out. I managed to get a dipe on him and lay him in bed without to much of a fuss.

It's so cute when he just falls asleep from running himself ragged!
#2 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Just subbing for now! Monique, you might want to link this new thread from the old one. I wasn't sure that there was one yet.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM

How on earth is it February already? Didn't the year just start? :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#4 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 04:31 PM

gabriel is so cute!

well, life is a bit crazy. 3 is a handful, but a pretty lovely one, most of the time. ngaio is adjusting..there are moments that i want to pull my hair out, but i try to remember what it must be like for her to all of a sudden not be the baby anymore. it makes me a bit sad.
mostly she loves rue and just wants to kiss and hug her all day. bedtime is the hardest...but we just havn't got a routine yet.

we leave next week for home. im sooo excited, and a bit nervous too. its going to be weird to come from this busy loud house to our quiet little haven in the country..but im looking forward to the simplicity of it. i miss my bed and my kitchen so much! ill miss mdc.

rue turned 1 week old last night! but it feels like months already.. she is still so happy and content with the world. i have tons of milk now, thanks to the mamamilk tea ive been drinking by the gallon...so she is even more happy if that is possible. we have had a few baths and she loooves water. the first time she got this look on her face like.."im home!" it made me cry.

so after this week it will probably be few and far between visits here for me..but ill be thinking of all of you and your babes, specially the mommas in waiting.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Subbing! So happy to hear Helen's news
#6 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
we have had a few baths and she loooves water. the first time she got this look on her face like.."im home!" it made me cry.
Awwwww that made me teary. That is just so sweet.
#7 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Hey Mamas. I left school a bit early today to come home and rest, but of course I'm so jacked up from the day that I can't! Dh calls it "fake energy." The toddler is blissfully asleep at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and the sick mama is wide awake; this is going to be bad about 9 p.m.

Well, my seed catalog came in yesterday, so I think I'm going to go wish and plan and hopefully wind down enough to sleep for a half hour or so...
#8 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
toddler is blissfully asleep at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and the sick mama is wide awake; this is going to be bad about 9 p.m.
Oh Mama. I know all about those late naps. You can't avoid them but they can be so disastrous for *your* evening! Here's to hoping he'll be ready to crash again at a reasonable time.

I feel like I'm going through a major re-orientation in life direction or something the past few days. I feel myself pulling away from teaching at Waldorf (for a couple of reasons) and really thinking seriously about returning to finish my PhD. There are so many reasons why it's the practical and smart thing to do...but I'm just not sure if my heart is 100% in it. But sh*t, other than my home life, I'm not sure my heart would be 100% in anything anymore!

Fern, I'm so glad to hear life with Rue is sweet and that you are excited to return home. We are going to miss you so much!!!! I hope you will be able to check in frequently.

Monique, that picture was adorable!

#9 of 213 Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 PM

Hey! I'm still here! Welcome River!!

Now off to :
#10 of 213 Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm here, too- finally MDC isn't being so slow that I give up before posting (my wireless connection is partly to blame- but come on!).

Welcome baby River!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#11 of 213 Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Here too The name going on the birth certificate is Samson Douglas River, btw. He's going to grow up as either Sam or River, but I have no idea which... : Steve lost his nerve on the hippie name

And we survived our first trip out of the house with 4, even though Skye threw multiple tantrums and Isaac managed to make it into the car with nobody realising that he was wearing heelies and- you get the picture, right?- and nothing really bad happened, so that was good. Kind of. It's a start?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#12 of 213 Old 02-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Way to go Helen! My first trip out of the house with 4 kids was scarrrryyyyy.
#13 of 213 Old 02-02-2008, 07:52 PM

Helen I don't think River is even a hippy name over here. If that makes any difference. I like it.

We went to the museum this morning and looked at the wooly mammoth and all his little friends, and played in the stern of Captain Vancouver's big boat. I have a pass for the museum now so I expect we'll be doing that a lot. The museum is a convenient 10-minute walk from our house, too. Aside from that, nothing much is new. One of my best friends just moved back to Victoria, so I am happy about that... but another of my best friends is moving away, which makes me very sad - and Rowan, too, because M's little boy is one of HER best friends and she loves him to bits and they play SO well together. Sniff.

Gotta go tidy. Does anyone else have a toddler who has a pathological hatred for a tidy living room? Every time I tidy up Rowan makes a beeline for the toy box when she comes in and empties it in under 15 seconds. Sigh.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#14 of 213 Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM

Gabriel is beautiful, Monique. I forgot to mention it earlier

Last night I had the ultimate nighttime success. DH and I had a date night, and Neela fell asleep in her clothes and without a diaper. I managed to get her tights off and put on some tights and pajama bottoms without waking her up. In the past this would have precipitated an hour of nursing back to sleep And the date was great, too

Spughy and anyone else who might have expertise in the area: can anyone recommend a great documentary about gardening/food supply or something related? I'm hoping to plan a spring kick-off event for the community gardens I co-ordinate, and would love to show a film. This one looks great, but isn't available at either the public or university library.

In bad news, the recent rain has confirmed that the "fixing" of the leak in my car a couple of weeks ago was totally inadequate. We're taking it back in next week for re-diagnosis. I can't believe that we've spent so much money and still have a soggy car. That needs brake work, too. : I want to join a sophisticated car co-op where the expenses are fixed and I don't have to deal with the minutiae of car ownership!

Spughy~ I'm sorry for you and Rowan that your friends are leaving. Neela's best friend/neighbour moved last summer, and Neela kept walking over to their house to visit. It was so sad

#15 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 12:17 AM

Crazy, crazy weekend here. Power outage for 48 hours, stayed with my parents so we could have heat/water, went to see the circus, went to visit my aunt with lung cancer who is very close to the end. I was so proud of the kids... the nurse said they had to wear surgical masks to come in the hospital room and they happily donned them, then were very sweet and cheerful, even though my aunt was hardly recognizable (lost all her hair, lost a lot of weight, had the big oxygen mask on, had her dentures out, etc). It really cheered up my aunt to get her baby-fix by seeing them.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#16 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
I want to join a sophisticated car co-op where the expenses are fixed and I don't have to deal with the minutiae of car ownership!
Sign me up! Both of our cars are on the fritz right now, and I'm simply done with it. We're for sure selling the car dh has been using (y'all might remember, the Cherokee that my mom gave us when we got pregnant, and that I was so conflicted about taking anyway because it's such a gas guzzler) because it has a problem that two expensive fixes in two years has not actually fixed. And the other car just today started acting funny.

If only my job were either on a bus route or an even remotely pedestrian-friendly road, I'd give up cars for good.

No, that's not true. I'd be too freaked out that I couldn't escape if something horrible happened. I really try not to be in that headspace, but that War of the Worlds crap really gets to a girl's limbic system.
#17 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 AM

i have missed you all these past few days. since friday, i was at a post partum doula training from 8am-6pm every day. it was fabulous to be in a room full of women so concerned about caring for new moms and to be on the verge of being a new mom, again myself. the best part was that i totally fell in love with my babe-in-utero so strongly.

you all know i wasn't expecting to be preggo before our year abroad, was sick for 3 months, fell down stairs, came back to the usa early to a trashed house, etc...and have had a hard time being glad about being preggo...plus feeling overwhelmed by becoming a mom to two. so much of that was put into perspective for me personally this weekend. i apologized to the babe for how selfish i have been, mainly thinking about my needs/wants/goals over the babe's needs. so, now i am excited to meet this one! honored that it chose to come to our family! feeling more ready for labor, birth, newborn nursing, and meshing our current family with my little feb lovey. who knew it would be such a time of healing? i am so thankful that it was though.

now, i want to catch up with you all! i know helen and fern had their babes but need to read what they decided about names. and, how is nursing ad sleeping going with amy and brynn...neela and rowan and everyone else for that matter?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#18 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
i totally fell in love with my babe-in-utero so strongly....so much of that was put into perspective for me personally this weekend. i apologized to the babe for how selfish i have been, mainly thinking about my needs/wants/goals over the babe's needs. so, now i am excited to meet this one! honored that it chose to come to our family! feeling more ready for labor, birth, newborn nursing, and meshing our current family with my little feb lovey. who knew it would be such a time of healing? i am so thankful that it was though. ...and, how is nursing ad sleeping going with amy and brynn...?
Aww Gunter, that sounds really wonderful. Sounds like you are definitely on the way to having a golden year.

Oh, Brynn just woke up. More later!

#19 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 AM

So anyway - I can honestly say that I feel OK with how our sleep is going. Brynn goes to bed so easily now; it's actually really enjoyable. We rock and talk about the day and then I put her into bed and she goes to sleep! She generally sleeps at least 6 hours and sometimes wakes up at 2:30 and will come get in bed with us. If she sleeps past 2:30, then she will make it all the way to 4:30 or 5:00 before she comes to our bed. But even that doesn't bother me anymore, because she just climbs into bed and cuddles up and goes to sleep. She's gotten into the habit of waking up at 5:30 to nurse, but this morning rather than nursing her in our bed (which leads to 45 minutes of her dozing while attached to the boob), I took her to her room and nursed her in the rocking chair and put her back into her bed. She came back to our bed about 10 minutes later, but didn't ask to nurse, so we just went back to sleep very easily! When she woke up at 8:00, she asked to nurse, but I distracted her by rocking and playing with some toys for about 10-15 minutes and then she was ready to get up! So I feel like we are gradually decreasing the number of nursings during the day and most importantly, it's not traumatizing her! I feel really good about that.

Things just feel like they are going better than ever lately, so I'm grateful for that. She's so fun and sweet these days, and makes me laugh so much. We had a really fun weekend as a family, and it just made me realize that we need to decrease our weekend obligations so that we have more time to spend doing enjoyable activities together. It makes a big difference in our feelings of harmony overall.

My MIL will be here this weekend for a week, and I am actually looking forward to it so that I can get some things done; we've still got a zillion projects around the house, and I want to go back to my university and talk to my advisor and people on my academic committee about coming back to the program. But most of all, I am *really* excited about spending the night with Jason at a hotel, sans bebe! We were telling one of our friends about it, and she said, "Are you going to get crazy and party all night?" and I was like, "No, we'll probably go see a movie and fall asleep at 9:00!" Hey, that's pretty damn exciting to me!

#20 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM

Hey ladies! I think I'll actually post something this morning.

Way cute pic of Gabriel!! He's a super gorgeous little guy. I haven't gotten the chance to peek at many of the November babes since I feel like I've just jumped in on getting to know you guys.

I actually love the name River and don't consider it super hippie... although I know it is supposed to be.

Isaac has been doing fabulous with his new little sister... and I haven't had to figure out tandem nursing since he weaned himself about four months ago. He hasn't even seemed to ask for it or even notice when I nurse her. I was pretty sad when he stopped nursing, but he still cuddles in the morning and at night- so I still get snuggles in at least. He nightweaned a long time ago, so he usually only wakes up at night if something is wrong. Isaac's issue is waking up super EARLY. Like sometimes at 4am. That's a little exhausting... although I have to say he's timed it lately where IF he does it he coincides it with a time that I'm already up nursing Jasmine.

So no complaints from me. Except about school. It's midterms... and I'm just about ripping my hair out. I think my kids are just happy because they don't even think I'm in school anymore since it's all online and I mainly work on it when they are sleeping. Boy that's hard though trying to get them down and have enough time to work on it before I'm falling asleep at the keyboard. *Sigh* It's over in four weeks and then I'll have a couple weeks off. I intend on rewarding myself after next quarter with a major vacay. Somewhere hot and sandy.

Hope all you ladies are doing well and I am so thrilled for all of the new little nurslings!
#21 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
we leave next week for home. im sooo excited, and a bit nervous too. its going to be weird to come from this busy loud house to our quiet little haven in the country..but im looking forward to the simplicity of it. i miss my bed and my kitchen so much! ill miss mdc.

rue turned 1 week old last night! but it feels like months already.. she is still so happy and content with the world. i have tons of milk now, thanks to the mamamilk tea ive been drinking by the gallon...so she is even more happy if that is possible. we have had a few baths and she loooves water. the first time she got this look on her face like.."im home!" it made me cry.
I'll miss having you on here regularly but I TOTALLY understand the need to be home. We lived with my MIL for almost 2 years after Keagan was born (we've been home three months) and oh boy was I ready to be in our own space again! And about being home in the water - Keagan did the same thing. I'm pretty sure I did cry - and then laugh and the hormone surges

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Steve lost his nerve on the hippie name
I know a couple of people named River - I love the name. Not something Allison would ever be okay with naming a child though because of the "hippie factor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW View Post
In bad news, the recent rain has confirmed that the "fixing" of the leak in my car a couple of weeks ago was totally inadequate. We're taking it back in next week for re-diagnosis. I can't believe that we've spent so much money and still have a soggy car. That needs brake work, too. : I want to join a sophisticated car co-op where the expenses are fixed and I don't have to deal with the minutiae of car ownership!
If I remember right you are in the PNW, right? Have you checked into Flexcar?

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#22 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM

I cut Brynn's hair. It's really cute!

#23 of 213 Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM

Way cute!
#24 of 213 Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
i have missed you all these past few days. since friday, i was at a post partum doula training from 8am-6pm every day. it was fabulous to be in a room full of women so concerned about caring for new moms and to be on the verge of being a new mom, again myself. the best part was that i totally fell in love with my babe-in-utero so strongly.
I want to spend more time checking in! But as always I'm at the end of a loooooong day and only have time to read, not post much. Gunter, I am excited to hear about your training- I am taking it March 28-30th! I am looking forward to it, yet it will be hard to be away from home for 3 days, plus I work a full day before and after it- so I'll be away for 5 days in a row! It's almost 2 months away and I'm already worried about leaving the kids for so long!

Was the class useful, and worth it? I feel like a lot of it I already know...the breastfeeding info and supporting new moms, I just need to get more experience. What I really need to know about, is the business aspect of starting a doula business, and I'm not even sure they go over that in the class!
#25 of 213 Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM

Holy cow! We stayed quiet long enough to make it to the THIRD page! Well, here's a .

OK, does this make me a bad person? Most months, I'd like to get pregnant. Dh feels otherwise, but is not insistent on it. And because I chart, I can tell roughly when the timing is good, though I think my chart is on the wacky side of f*cked up, so very often it's anybody's guess. So in the heat of the moment, unless he specifically asks, I don't really offer the information about the state of my cervical mucus, temperatures, cervix, etc.

I sometimes feel like this is on the verge of trickery. But we've had a few close calls in the last several months, and dh is always pretty OK with it. He's a very roll-with-it kind of guy. So then I think it's less trickery and more just me moving us toward a decision that he just probably wouldn't get around to making.

But I wondered if any of you would mind sharing how you do/would handle this. I just have this sense that a lot of partners are reluctant to "plan" for kids or more kids, but that this fact doesn't really reflect their feelings about actually having more kids.

And there's always the possibility that I'm just a bad person.
#26 of 213 Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
And there's always the possibility that I'm just a bad person.
Hee hee.

My two cents is that if he's not vehement about it, and he's not asking, it's not bad or even trickery. It's like the military: Don't ask, don't tell!

#27 of 213 Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Anyone else celebrate Mardi Gras today with the kids? We did!!!

Its been amazing weather here the last couple of days... I'm loving taking long walks with Ellie in the stroller! I hope the weather holds a few more days so we can go hiking.

I think if someone is opposed to having kids they are usually VERY vocal and clear about it. Just my $0.02.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#28 of 213 Old 02-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
I think if someone is opposed to having kids they are usually VERY vocal and clear about it. Just my $0.02.
What is Mardi Gras about even? Seriously have no idea.

And ITA with Q of C!
#29 of 213 Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah M View Post
If I remember right you are in the PNW, right? Have you checked into Flexcar?
Yes, there was a great co-op in Vancouver that I wanted to join. We're in Oregon right now, but probably moving back to BC this summer and then I'll investigate options depending on exactly where we end up. I spent a couple of days fantasizing that that spy satellite would plummet to earth and land on our parked car, since I'm pretty sure it would be covered by insurance. And it would be cool enough that maybe we'd get to be on Letterman or something.

Now I'm less despondent, and am taking it back to the shop to get the leak re-assessed in the morning. But my bike has had two flat tires in two days and was badly in need of a tune up, so is also in the shop. How can both of my main modes of transportation go out of commission at the same time?! I guess I'll be walking a lot in the next couple of days

HoneyTree, I'm the dissenting voice on this one. I don't think you're a bad person, but I think you need to have a serious conversation (we call them "clothes on" conversations; not in the moment). It's the kind of situation that could really build resentment if you're not quite on the same page. If your DH doesn't want to have a baby right now then he needs to take responsibility for some birth control, but you need to communicate that somehow. And if he kind of actually wants to have another baby, then he should stop pretending that it's all your idea

Awaken~ I hope your doula training goes well and your business is successful!

Amy~ Cute haircut Brynn!

#30 of 213 Old 02-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Honeytree I'm putting this out here on the main thread, but I need you to remember that this week you should have been cuddling a newborn. The whole "baby" issue is probably very very real for you right now, and for your DH, and you need to talk about it. ALL of it. Including how he felt about the miscarriage. I also think that your views are probably very hormone driven right now. Are you reading the H&H thread?
The other thing I know, however, is that Steve does not want to know anything at all about my cycles. The idea of deliberately timing sex when we knew I was fertile was just icky and wrong to him- don't get him wrong, he loves our fertility. He just wants to perceive us as fertile and fecund all the time, rather than just for 2-3 days a month because of course, men are. BUT also, if you dtd at that time of the month and no baby, if you know that she's fertile, then what does that make him?????? It's a minefield...
Unromantic though this sounds, and though it'll slow down conception, I say throw away the thermometer and shag his brains out

Queen of Cups, we just made pancakes. The village my dad taught in had an annual football game though- take a pigs stomach, inflate it and then all the young men of the village hurtle through the town like hooligans with the aim of dumping it in a stream. Fun times, huh? It's amazing what northern men can do for fun, and it mostly involves pigs or sheep... For them that don't know, yesterday was the day before Lent, so Fat Tuesday (or over here, Shrove Tuesday)- a last day of profligacy before austerity. So the British traditionally celebrate by making pancakes, one of the most austere foodstuffs imaginable. Boy, nobody can say we don't know how to party

Mel, I'm so sorry your wheels are out of action. Is this time to start playing the lottery?

Amy, I love the haircut

Mary, Gunter, yay with the doula training

Us? We're still struggling with the baby name issue, despite the sig. He's still gorgeous, though his left eye's a bit goopy and he's a touch jaundiced- the cord fell off on Tuesday and it's all going far- too- quickly. I'm below pre-pregnancy weight as well : and it doesn't feel like I had a baby six days ago. and Skye? In the last week has

insisted on testing EVERYTHING first, from Hotslings to newborn prefolds.
breastfed a rescue hero
taken advantage of feeding time to sit in the breakfast cereal drawer pouring porridge oats into rice krispies.
Ground three packets of KoolAid into the carpet
and so on Bless her, at least she's creative. It's fair to say she's not a big fan of being a big sister. Oh, and the whole family keep losing the baby: Alex got very confused when I picked him up from school on Monday and he couldn't see the baby, but everyone else could: in a wrap on my chest. Isaac lost him twice yesterday, and Skye is just fascinated by the double buggy. Oh, except that she'd much rather travel in the shopping basket underneath : There's really not much you can say to that, is there?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page