August 2005 Mamas - Fabulous February! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas, new month so new thread. We're quieter lately, but we're still here! I am cheating and reposting my last post from the previous thread, since it was in fact the last post. :

Jeremy - You and Faith are gorgeous! Congratulations, I am so happy for you all

Tracy
- I tried searching through the threads and I cannot find that article. Sorry. It does sound like he just needs extra reassurance, though - moving is a big and unpredictable event for them, even when things are explained. He is likely just feeling afraid and uncertain about what is happening, and is expressing it in this way. My thought is lots of extra hugs and love and togetherness.

Kiernen is fascinated with letters and numbers and asks me to draw specific ones and tell him what they are when he points them out. He is nowhere near drawing those letters though, and he has pretty much no interest in the letters in his name over anything else. THOMAS, though, is another story (the tank engine). That word he is fascinated with. : He can count to something-teen, though (I forget which - 19? 18?).

Toothbrushing is an issue here. We do it every night under duress - Kiernen fights and screams and it is a horrible thing to have to do. He bites down on the brush and won't let us in his mouth and we try everything. I am searching for another alternative, but DH is just so set on us doing it every night and doing it well. I'm with NM on the whole nutrient-dense diet thing rather than the torture my kid into brushing thing, though. The problem is that DH hasn't read WAP (and isn't likely to).

Here are some photos of Kiernen from this month - no registration required!

Nonny - : I hear your frustration, and it very valid. You DO need time to yourself, to recharge. I love the photos! Your boys are both so adorable - J looks just like you!

ktmama - I love the cube! Wow, are your girls ever BEAUTIFUL! Those eyes are mesmerizing.

Nonny (again) - I don't know about men not giving long, overly-detailed responses...my DH is the KING of long, drawn-out descriptions of everything - he is VERY thorough in his recounts of things. I sometimes have to stop him and ask him to please bottom-line something to get him to stop giving ridiculous amounts of unnecessary details. :

henhao - Another book added to my must-read list! :

ITA about letting them do their thing. I get looks for that, too - but I really don't care. I don;t care that he wants to wear pajama pants instead of regular pants for 5 days in a row (the same pants). We just change the underwear and go on with life. I always think about things in terms of "the grand scheme of things". I notice a lot how other people who have different ideals want to place them on us: "Oh, are you wearing PAJAMA pants today? You've been wearing those pants every day...." So what? I say to them, "We don't really differentiate between pajama pants and regular pants. He likes these pants - we change the underwear, he wants to wear these, we don't worry about it." They probably then think I'm nuts for letting a 2.5 year old choose his own clothes. :

Tracy - You're gorgeous! I love those photos, so lively and happy. Happy birthing to you, mama! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 PM

subbing.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Happy February ladies! Woohoo! another month closer to spring and warmer weather. I've had my fill of this --->: this winter.

Be well ladies, Andrya

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM

subbing! Looking forward to more postings this month! I love you guys!
Old 02-02-2008, 03:59 PM

What great pics of Kiernan, Chasmyn!

Guess what we have been doing! Our town floods the rec center every winter and makes an ice rink ~ and the kids and I are "playing hockey"!!! I use quotation marks because I think you all know that we aren't really playing the game....but one of the local men plays and he cut down a stick for Adam and he and Adam chase each other around the rink and hit the puck around. I chase Sarah around as she pushes a garbage can around the rink. Both are fearless - they stepped onto the ice and thought it was great fun. I am terrified someone is going to fall and knock their teeth out, but I suppose I am going to feel that way for the rest of their childhoods, right? I will have to try and post the pictures one of these days - they're hilarious.

Playgroup and Thursday night toddler gym were cancelled this week due to blizzard/too cold weather, so we were inside all week until yesterday...the kids and I were so squirrely and I am just so glad to be going outside and out and about again. Winter can be so hard. We have been painting and cooking and I even took all the bottles & such out of the recycling bin the other day and made a bowling alley in our kitchen...but there is just no substitute for going outside and getting the toddler crazies out!!! Here's to warmer weather!!!!

Have a great weekend - love to all.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 02-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi everyone.
Subbing
Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Hopefulfaith The ice rink sounds like so much fun. I can't recall...do you live in a small town?

Jeremy -- I think I missed some photos. I'm sooo behind on the news in our little Aug 2005 "town" here.

Nonny When you feel up to it, please give me a call or PM me. I have room for 5 msgs in my PM. (Maybe I should pay to get more room there.) Anyway, I took the job near Shady Grove, so I'm probably not far from you. I'm making the best of having to be a WOHM and at least I work from home 2 days, so I get lots of snuggle time with O.

Katie I saw this link about people knitting and leaving their knitting around town to brighten up the landscape and thought you'd think this was neat: http://www.knittaplease.com/ABOUT.html

All I'm continuing to read this homeschooling book. I got so fired up that I had to log on here to tell you about it. David Albert, who homeschooled his two daughters, wrote this book. He said he has never seen a child not learn to read. He asks the question of why we as a culture are so focused on reading and early or late readers when we don't exactly talk about "late bicycle riding" or "early bicycle riding."

He says schools like to take credit for teaching reading but really a child would learn anyway. Now, I don't know that I believe this 100%. If that were true, then wouldn't we have no illiteracy? So there must be a caveat like books have to be around, the availablity of letters and paper and pens to practice.

On another note, I had this total AHA moment when I read what he said about curriculum. He basically makes the point that we would not be able to imagine people saying, "you're 52 years old, so you have to learn how to tune a piano, speak Chinese and Linnaean order in biology." He makes the point that we should all be able to pursue what interests us. Those of you who know more about homeschooling are probably saying, "Duh, deb!" but this is all new to me. I was SO BORED during most of school. There were a few rays of light here and there and some memorable experiences. But, basically, it was boring class after boring class full of items to memorize that I did not give a lick about.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM

hey now, mamas

chasmyn, those photos of kiernan are wonderful ~ such a cutie! and i love the hat/scarf combo!!!

hopefulfaith, i'm looking forward to seeing photos of the hockey playing antics of adam and sarah! i have a hidden hope that my kids will be fearless, but i'm thinking laurel may just have her fathers cautious demeanor. still crossing my fingers with faith

sending wonderful loving joyful natural smooth flowing beautiful birthing vibes to you, tracy :

henhao, i recall school as being one boring class after another as well. i have always loved the idea of homeschooling, but this town has such an amazing charter school that i think it'll be up to laurel. we shall see.

k's mom, i've had my fair share of freezing this winter also. i am ready to cut out a bunch of sunshine's from the construction paper and put them up all over the house.

we had quite the week here at 8500 feet. as you know, dh, dd1 and i all came down with the colorado plague right after faith was born. well she got a bit of a cough at 1 week. we spoke daily/every other day on the phone with our local family doc. then on monday we woke up and she was a funky color. she also hadn't eaten through the night and didn't keep down her "breakfast". we called the doc and he came right over (lovin' the fact that he does housecalls). he said her lungs sounded clear but we should take her to the er due to her coloring. we headed out and by the time we got to the hospital she pretty much wasn't breathing and was totally grey. it was like a scene from the tv show "er" - 8 people immediately all over her, mum pushed sobbing to the corner of the room, cutting her clothes off with scissors, O2, boluses in the arm, needles everywhere...oh lord. but she perked back up pretty quickly, thank the divine. we stayed in the hospital for 3 days of monitoring. they tested her for everything, but it turns out it's just whatever unknown virus we all had. it's just that her little body was too new to handle it. so she's still on O2, mainly because we live at altitude. she should be off of it by monday, they think. she's doing really well, but oh my goodness was that scary.

on a lighter note, laurel now deems it necessary to tell most everyone where faith came from.
at the hospital a version of this conversation happened again and again -
"so you're a big sister now?"
"uh-huh. faith come out mama's yoni."
thankfully, most of the nurse-types who were inquiring didn't really understand and just smiled and nodded .

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM

Wow, Jeremy, you must have been absolutely terrified. I'm so glad Faith is alright.

Chasmyn, I have an idea for you regarding toothbrushing, though it may not work. Henry is crazy about trains too, and I've been able to get him to cooperate with a few things by pretending he's an engine. Getting dressed is "putting a cover on the engine." Changing his diaper is "changing the engine's oil." And sometimes brushing and flossing is "cleaning out the inside of the engine." Bed is the roundhouse, BTW.

Anyway, sometimes it works. I consider it to be sort of playful parenting -- I'll say, "Henry, let's get your coat on so we can go to the store," he'll say "no" and I'll say, "Let's get a warm cover on that engine -- it's cold out there!" and he'll run over with a smile on his face.

Also, the photos of Kiernan are too cute. When did our babies get to be such big kids?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:25 AM

Nonny When you feel up to it, please give me a call or PM me. I have room for 5 msgs in my PM. (Maybe I should pay to get more room there.) Anyway, I took the job near Shady Grove, so I'm probably not far from you. I'm making the best of having to be a WOHM and at least I work from home 2 days, so I get lots of snuggle time with O.

I actually called you twice awhile back around 9:30 in in the morning but I got to your voicemail..soo I thought you were just busy and I didnt want to interupt. Sorry I am not a fan of leaving messages on the phone. I will def PM ya and give you my number. Let's meet up for lunch or coffee!! That is awesome that you get to work at home too.. I don't know how you working moms do it. I can barely handle being a SAHM!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 AM

Something funny I want to share with you guys...or at least me and DH thought it was funny...

We were at Best Buy the other day just browsing around and Christopher called me to point out a guy around the corner. This is extacly what he said to me... "hey mommy look...there's a fat man." he said it about 2 times before I figure out what he was trying to say...then he said it AGAIN and AGAIN before I managed to change the subject... I couldn't dare look at the guy andI think he walked away. How embarrassing!! I tried so hard to refrain from smiling or giggling or laughing. We left and told DH in the car and we both cracked up laughing... definitely one of those "embarrassing stories for the Parenting magazine".

I am sure looking forward to more moments like these...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 AM

Chasmyn, Christopher would be so envious of Kiernen and his Thomas train set. It's a big hit here too but I think you guys definitely beat us on the tracks!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:51 AM

Jeremy, glad your little one is on the mend. That must have been awfully frightening.

Rivka, mommy to 3 big boys and a set of b/g twins
Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 AM

Jeremy, I am so relieved to hear Faith is alright. Poor little thing. s
Old 02-03-2008, 05:30 PM

Jeremy,
i am so glad that baby Faith and the rest of the family is OK- how scary
Old 02-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Jeremy, I am so glad Faith is healing. That must have been so scary. I am, however, cracking up about Laurel telling the nurses how she became a big sister.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
Anyway, sometimes it works. I consider it to be sort of playful parenting -- I'll say, "Henry, let's get your coat on so we can go to the store," he'll say "no" and I'll say, "Let's get a warm cover on that engine -- it's cold out there!" and he'll run over with a smile on his face.
My eyes teared up reading this. That is so sweet. I can imagine his cute little face smiling at you.

I love it when parents are so caring and kind to their children. I've been going to some classes with O and am saddened at how people treat their children -- yelling, telling them they are not hurt when they haven't even looked, etc.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I actually called you twice awhile back around 9:30 in in the morning but I got to your voicemail..soo I thought you were just busy and I didnt want to interupt. Sorry I am not a fan of leaving messages on the phone. I will def PM ya and give you my number. Let's meet up for lunch or coffee!! That is awesome that you get to work at home too.. I don't know how you working moms do it. I can barely handle being a SAHM!
Haha, I am smiling because I don't care much for calling people in the first place. Dh and I are both kind of weird that way. Anyway, I often answer the phone so maybe you called on one of the days I'm in the office. I see you sent me a PM, so I'll check it in a second.

Jeremy
YIKES! How scary. That kind of story makes my blood run cold. I'm so glad to hear she's on the mend.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefulfaith The skating sounds like fun - please do post photos, yes!

Henhao - Knittaplease is great! I love that idea.

I really want to check out that book - it sounds right on the mark and like an interesting read.

I don't know why everything is underlined - I cannot make it go away!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Jeremy - How terrifying! I have actually lived that exact scene with Quinn - I am so glad that it turned out to just be that virus and not her heart as it was with Quinn. I know EXACTLY how that scene feels, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm so so glad to know that it all turned out well.

New Mama - I'll try it! We have definitely noticed that when we involve him in the process and don't just do it to him, he responds much better. Unless he is dog tired, then all bets are off.

Nonny - Yes, we and our relatives went a bit crazy during the Holidays this year and it was a very Thomas Solstice AND Christmas. He has a track on his train table and what we call Super Track on the floor - it stretches from the front of the living room to the back. We trip over it constantly, but he plays with it constantly so we live with it. I think sometimes DH and I get into it - well, not as much as Kiernen, as he is a superfan - but lots. It's kind of crazy. :
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Oh Jeremy, I'm sooo relieved to hear that she is okay. OMG that must have been terrifying for you and your family.

New Mama~ How's the acupuncture going? I love your idea about making kiddo the engine, I ought to try that with C.

Talk to you all soon. much love, Andrya

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Hi there all you wonderful mamas!

Jeremy, your story sounds so frightening, I'm so glad your little bug is okay! Sounds truly awful! I hope you guys are finally getting some relaxing babymooning in now, ( as much as that's possible with a 2 yr old!)

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes! No news on the baby front here, been having stop and start contrax for several days but nothing that keeps up. My midwife keeps reminding me they are all like "money in the bank" toward a shorter, smoother birth. In fact had her check me Saturday and I'm 3 cm and fully effaced, so things should move right along when they do get seriously going. I'm doing my best to enjoy being big and ripe and celebrate this time with August and Dh!

My only concern is that my little sister who is meant to be birth support has to leave Weds for a funeral out of town and won't be back till Thurs night. I really hope my little one comes before or after so she can be present. Mostly I want the experience for her, I'm sure I'll have good support between Dh and the midwives, but she is 10 yrs younger and TTC, and I'd love for her to see how wonderful an unmedicated homebirth can be! Anyway, trying just to trust that it will all work out in that regard!

Chasmyn- K is so cute! Thanks for looking for that article, no worries- I couldn't find it either. August has also mellowed a bunch, I do think it was just partially the transition of moving and all...

Gotta run, I'll keep you posted!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM

thanks for all the support, mamas
faith was able to fully go off the O2 today. she seems to be doing great, albeit sleeping constantly. yesterday i probably only saw her eyes for no more than an hour. i guess that's her body's way of healing itself.

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

Old 02-05-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K's Mom! View Post
New Mama~ How's the acupuncture going?
Thanks for asking. It's going well. I've been to four sessions now, and the acupuncturist gave me some Chinese herbs to mix up in water and drink three times a day, so I've been doing that for the past month too.

Add to that her other recommendations about vitamins/minerals and my naturopath's recommendations, and I'm drinking water and taking one thing or another all day long.

I also had a Maya massage session last weekend and I'm supposed to be doing the massage on my own every night but haven't yet.

And I'm grain- and sugar-free (except for honey) since the beginning of January too. I took myself off dairy as of today, as well, since I've had this sinus headache/pressure/congestion that just won't go away, and I'm suspecting cheese.

Anyway, I've been busy working on my health, but I haven't noticed any changes yet. If all this doesn't do it, at least I'll know that I tried.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM

Gosh, Mamas, so much going on!

Jeremy, I'm so sorry you had such a scary time with your new baby. Glad things have settled now and she's off the O2.

Tracey, thanks for the update. We're all thinking of you. :

NM, also thanks for the update. I've also been wondering how your health stuff is going. I was at the grocery store today and noticed a woman in the make-up aisle (where I was taking a short-cut) and her cart full of all kinds of *stuff* full of chemicals, etc....Lily asked me the other day how I feel when I think about all the *crap* (as she said) I used to put on and in my body. It feels so good to be aware of what's going in and on my body (and my new baby's body). I'm not saying I'm where I want to be, but I am taking steps to make changes and that makes me feel so good. It also feels good to be raising my girls with the same awareness.

Hope everyone is well and warm. It snowed all day again today. : I need a (tropical) vacation!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 02-05-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
It snowed all day again today. : I need a (tropical) vacation!
We're supposed to get up to ten inches of snow tomorrow night and Wednesday. I may be rescheduling my acupuncture appointment -- it's Wednesday and a 45-minute drive from here! (Well, it's a 30-minute drive, but my parents/sister who watch Henry for me are 45 minutes away.)

Old 02-05-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
And I'm grain- and sugar-free (except for honey) since the beginning of January too. I took myself off dairy as of today, as well, since I've had this sinus headache/pressure/congestion that just won't go away, and I'm suspecting cheese.
New Mama

I'll send good vibes your way. What you are doing will probably be sooo good for your body!

I went off of wheat, cheese, almonds, sugar, peanuts and a few others things. It was life changing. I feel 100% better. I've hardly gotten sick from viruses or colds since I changed my diet. I hope you find that this is the right path for you to take.

All

Kind of on the same note, we have O off of wheat, cheese and bananas because she's had terrible constipation. We were at a party and she was whining to have a cracker. The table was full of cheese and wheat bread and cake with wheat and wheat crackers and cookies with wheat. Ack! I was so stressed, because O would not eat the non-wheat snacks I brought. Bless her heart. She didn't take a cracker when I explained the doctor said she could not eat it.

Later, she told me the doctor said she did not have to go to sleep. Nice try, kiddo!

I'm hoping the rough skin on her legs goes away without eating wheat for a while. If the eczema does go away, we won't re-introduce wheat.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Tracy - Kiernen loves your videos of August - he watches them daily (they're in our friends on youtube).

Jeremy - It Is how she heals. It's nice to be off of 02, isn't it? Lots of healing vibes - she will be well soon, I know it!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:24 AM

It was a pleasure to finally meet you Deb! Mamas, me and Deb had lunch today along with the rest of my family. It was really cool to finally put a face to the person you've been talking to online. Aside from C making a total mess with the food, I had a great time to finally chat with you! Deb is really nice and so pretty with the nice outfit and makeup! One of the things I do miss about SAHM, the uninterrupted adult conversation and meal time!!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsgrl84 View Post
It was a pleasure to finally meet you Deb! Mamas, me and Deb had lunch today along with the rest of my family. It was really cool to finally put a face to the person you've been talking to online. Aside from C making a total mess with the food, I had a great time to finally chat with you! Deb is really nice and so pretty with the nice outfit and makeup! One of the things I do miss about SAHM, the uninterrupted adult conversation and meal time!!
Oh, I'm so jealous. I would love to meet one of you lovely mamas in person some day!

User Tag List