June 2006 Mamas - February, 2008! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
I NEED another living creature in our home!!
I LOVE cats and dogs and can't wait to get one of each in a couple years; if Jason had his way we'd have one of each already, but he is also aware of the fact that it would be ME caring for them the entire day every weekday, and I just don't have the emotional wherewithall to add another 'baby' to my life right now - it wouldn't be fair to the kids or the pet. Once the kids are less spazzy, and more reliable, I'll be thrilled to add a couple furry (or other variety) family members. But I'll be dagblummed if I'm taking on another living thing that needs to be fed, washed, exercised, and cleaned up after right now.

I figure when Donovan turns 6, Kait will be 3-1/2 and out of the "spazzy" zone so I won't have to watch her for hurting a pet as much, and that's plenty of time for both of them to have childhood memories of family pets. Hopefully I'm figuring right.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have pets. I wouldn't get a new dog with a kid Katie's age, I think. Lots of work, really, to integrate a dog properly. Cats are easier.

We got a cat when Katie was about a month old, and we never really bonded with her. She was an outdoor cat, and when I'd let her in, she was friendly, but she didn't really like Katie, and I never had time to house train her so she peed on the floor a few times. We got another one last October, and it was fantastic, but that had tons to do with his personality. It didn't take long to teach Katie that she needed to be gentle, and the cat was a typical orange cat. Very friendly, gentle, easy-going. He never used his claws when they were playing, and he followed her everywhere. Going to be hard to find another like him. We are now down to no cats, but plan to get another one or two in a few months.

Have a dog, but we had her for 3 years before Katie was born, and she's just turned 9 now, so she's settled down a bit (not much!) and she's been firmly a part of our "pack" since before Katie came, so we didn't need to do too much for heirarchy stuff. And she's a very dominant dog. Now Katie likes to feed her, and that just reinforces the heirarchy (food comes from above) in her mind.

Also have a fish, every day that I wake up and he's alive, I'm amazed. He's pushing 2, and he's a Betta. Katie loves him. Especially if I let her drop the food into the bowl.

Last but not smallest, I have a horse. I take care of him while Katie has her nap. He's a bit scared of her (first little person he's ever met), but we're working on it, and she adores him. He let her pet his nose a couple days ago. That's a huge step for him.

New pics here.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 PM

We really want a dog, but with us not settling down anywhere anytime soon, it's not possible one of the downers about not being "established" in one country or the other. I didn't really think this aspect through before we said "i do" but we can be happy with out a dog, we'll just have to have more kids . So, it's a hamster for us tomorrow... I'm kind of wondering if Sydney will even car about it. Since it's so small, yk? but she loves watching spiders crawl around so :

I grew up with horses and I REALLY want Sydney to experience working with them. I miss those days. Do you have a pic of your horse, jes?

Our friends just had a baby. He's two weeks old and sooooooo beautiful. be still my heart! Sydney adored him. I'll put a picture of her holding him on flickr tomorrow. I can't wait to show her our baby!!!

Happy leap year day everyone!

Lori - how are you guys doing? I can't find that book anywhere over here so I'm just going to buy it on amazon. Can't wait to read it.

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:46 AM

Hi all, popping in to say hi. (Heidi! Fireant! Yay!)
I was indeed in labor when I posted last, Grace was born on 2/15. She is an easy baby (knock on wood) and very sweet. Sometimes having two kids though makes me want to just shoot myself in the head.

I'll post more later, but I'll say that Philip is hilarious and gives us a laugh every day. Plus, he keeps getting cuter! I'm hoping to get a new blog up sometime soon, for both kids.

:
Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I grew up with horses and I REALLY want Sydney to experience working with them. I miss those days. Do you have a pic of your horse, jes?
Of course!
Pasture
Bush

All the more recent ones I have, he's got a gaping hole in his leg, so I won't subject you to those. Maybe in a month or so when he's healed up again.

I was thinking a minute ago about the hamster thing. honestly, I'd get a guinea pig before I'd get a hamster. They're sturdier, friendlier, and they bite less. plus, you can litter train them.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I was indeed in labor when I posted last, Grace was born on 2/15. She is an easy baby (knock on wood) and very sweet. Sometimes having two kids though makes me want to just shoot myself in the head.
Congratulations!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I was indeed in labor when I posted last, Grace was born on 2/15. :

: : Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
All the more recent ones I have, he's got a gaping hole in his leg, so I won't subject you to those. Maybe in a month or so when he's healed up again.

I was thinking a minute ago about the hamster thing. honestly, I'd get a guinea pig before I'd get a hamster. They're sturdier, friendlier, and they bite less. plus, you can litter train them.

He's beautiful! I love his lone sock. Thanks for the hamster info. I didn't know that they bite (was on my way to google "hamster" to find more out about them when the need for ZzzzZZZzzz hit me hard) maybe not such a good thing with LO's around....

Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll post more later, but I'll say that Philip is hilarious and gives us a laugh every day. Plus, he keeps getting cuter! I'm hoping to get a new blog up sometime soon, for both kids.

:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

I should come visit and see you guys. PM me.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Our friends just had a baby. He's two weeks old and sooooooo beautiful. be still my heart! Sydney adored him. I'll put a picture of her holding him on flickr tomorrow. I can't wait to show her our baby!!!

Lori - how are you guys doing? I can't find that book anywhere over here so I'm just going to buy it on amazon. Can't wait to read it.
Can't wait to see that pic, it must've been awesome to watch her admiring a baby so small.

We are hanging in there, so far, yK? Has been more stressful emotionally than financially actually. At least for now. We argue alot, but its just become part of our existence together now, and we know it'll change when the circumstances change. But, dh is really ready to go back to work, even though he's been a great SAHD - he is feeling all sorts of stuff about it I guess. And, for me its been really hard - made lots of changes in mine and Ds' relationship and not really for the better IMO. I feel like he chooses dh over me all the time now, and I don't necessarily feel "jealous" but more hurt I think. And wondering how ds really feels, but maybe I am just too sensitive to both his feelings and my own - I dunno. But, he is nightweaned pretty successfully and I am getting sleep now, so thats a positive! I don't know how I'd be surviving emotionally otherwise! Still waiting for the same company to finish their other interviews so we know more about dh getting a third interview or not.

Oh, I just finished the book a few days ago and loved it. Hopefully you can get it cheap on amazon.

And, about the hamster. The boy I watch got a chinese dwarf hamster two Christmas' ago and he doesn't bite - he's very easygoing although in general, I think he is pretty boring though. He gets nervous being out in your hand if there is a lot of noise - his heart starts racing (with kids, I think noise is a given..so?) And I sort of feel bad for him. No life. I also remember as a kid, my cousins lost MANY hamsters over the course of a few years in their house. They'd find them months later under furniture and such. So, I have to agree with Jes - a guinea pig might be better...maybe even adopt one! The petco around here told us that you cannot even buy one from their store unless you've pursued adoption first, as they are not adopted very often and end up being put down many times. They aren't as fragile as hamsters either, so Sydney might be able to enjoy it more. Like Jes said, I've heard also that they are very nice animals. I believe they need to gnaw alot or else you have to clip their teeth - they grow like fingernails. Keep us updated, its so fun getting new pets - especially with kids...they are so interested in animals at this age, yk?

Quote:

:
UH OH - that's sort of how I imagine it, too. The shooting in the head part you mention. Darn. Are you tandem nursing or has Philip weaned? (Sorry I don't remember...) Well congratulations on your new babe! What a blessing. I love the name Grace. Can't wait to hear more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJes View Post
Of course!
Pasture
Bush

Love the pics of your horse, how cool for your dd to grow up around him - well, once he's accepted her!!! I read on your blog about the orange cat - Sounds like he was a great cat to have had. That's ashame.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 PM

ok, this picture didn't turn out at all. Not as cute as the one the dad got.

Thanks for the input on the hamster subject....
we went to the pet shot today and after looking over the *sleeping* hamsters I wasn't excited. Sydney was much more interested in the bunnies and marsvins... The only reason I really thought it would be ok with a hamster is that we are moving internationally in 9 or so months.... I want a dog or a cat, but we just can't do that. I'm just going to have to suck it up and cuddle extra with the animals at the petting farms we visit on the weekends. How I would love to own a small farm!

Hugs to you Lori and hoping things with straighten out soon. Do you think that when dh goes back to work and you are taking care of ds that your sense of bond with him will get a lot better? Sleep is such a more than wonderful thing. Enjoy!

Oh ya Jes, i read about your orange cat too and it was sad reading. Hope you guys can find another cat with such a good temperament.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Today I made granola, 4 dozen soft pretzel bites and three loaves of cinnamon raisin bread while 4 kids "helped". I feel like Martha Stewart on crack.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 AM

Ok, so I know I haven't been on here in like FOREVER, but I'm gonna start chatting again...I miss you guys!!!

I can't wait to share a pic of J.C and chat some more...way tired...gonna catch up with you guys tomorrow....just subbing for now...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
Today I made granola, 4 dozen soft pretzel bites and three loaves of cinnamon raisin bread while 4 kids "helped". I feel like Martha Stewart on crack.
Sounds about like that! sounds yummy too! :

Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies View Post
Ok, so I know I haven't been on here in like FOREVER, but I'm gonna start chatting again...I miss you guys!!!

I can't wait to share a pic of J.C and chat some more...way tired...gonna catch up with you guys tomorrow....just subbing for now...
KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

Quote:
Sounds about like that! sounds yummy too! :
yep, all VERY yummy

Old 03-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
KELLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :

Hey Sarah! Its nice to be back on here....business has been going well w/ my online boutique and I've been selling tons on Ebay, but I've been missing you guys...I can't believe are little ones are getting close to 2! ARGH!

Here's a recent pic of J.C
Old 03-02-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post
UH OH - that's sort of how I imagine it, too. The shooting in the head part you mention. Darn. Are you tandem nursing or has Philip weaned? (Sorry I don't remember...) Well congratulations on your new babe! What a blessing. I love the name Grace. Can't wait to hear more...
Well, what makes me want to shoot myself in the head is when both of them (particularly being this close in age) need me at the same time. And especially at bedtime or nighttime. I nursed throughout my pregnancy and have been tandem nursing. When G was first born, I just let P nurse whenever he wanted. But I had trouble getting through his bedtime routine without her needing me, and awakening with both kids at night was driving me crazy. I can nurse both at the same time, but I don't find it comfortable. So I decided to nightwean Philip using the Jay Gordon method. (I know you're doing this too.) So far we're just going with the "you can't have anymroe milk let's go to sleep" part. I am a little scared to take the next step into "no more milk at night." He doesn't wake as much at night now, but he still is varying stages of unhappy when I tell him milk is done. He is a very strong-minded child so I hope this doesn't go on for long.

Anyway. that's where I was coming from!

As for words, P is also using many more words but I don't know if a non-parent could understand them. He's very sweet and funny and has such a personality. I think it just keeps getting better.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
That sounds like the kind of 'help' that would make me need some whiskey, not crack! But that all sounds :

Quote:
SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K's teething something fierce today - been a BIG crankypants and had her fist in her mouth all day, poor thing. On the up side, she napped for 2-1/2 hours this afternoon. I'll always take that. Wish these darn things would just come through and be over with. D had all his teeth by 18 months, so I was expecting K to be similar, but these darn 2-yr molars just won't pop through - I can *feeeeeeeeeel* them right there, but they're just not coming through.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Sarah! Its nice to be back on here....business has been going well w/ my online boutique and I've been selling tons on Ebay, but I've been missing you guys...I can't believe are little ones are getting close to 2! ARGH!

Here's a recent pic of J.C
how cute is he?! man...he looks like such a little kid!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs View Post
That sounds like the kind of 'help' that would make me need some whiskey, not crack! But that all sounds :
it all turned out really well. the pretzels are delicious and the perfect size for a snack, and the bread is super fluffy and moist. i add the granola to the kids' yogurt for breakfast every morning, and they eat tons of it. they like it plain too, which is awesome. i need to find some flax oil for the next batch to get just a little more healthy fat in to Sam since she's in a very picky food stage.

Quote:
Well, what makes me want to shoot myself in the head is when both of them (particularly being this close in age) need me at the same time. And especially at bedtime or nighttime. I nursed throughout my pregnancy and have been tandem nursing. When G was first born, I just let P nurse whenever he wanted. But I had trouble getting through his bedtime routine without her needing me, and awakening with both kids at night was driving me crazy. I can nurse both at the same time, but I don't find it comfortable. So I decided to nightwean Philip using the Jay Gordon method. (I know you're doing this too.) So far we're just going with the "you can't have anymroe milk let's go to sleep" part. I am a little scared to take the next step into "no more milk at night." He doesn't wake as much at night now, but he still is varying stages of unhappy when I tell him milk is done. He is a very strong-minded child so I hope this doesn't go on for long.

Anyway. that's where I was coming from!

As for words, P is also using many more words but I don't know if a non-parent could understand them. He's very sweet and funny and has such a personality. I think it just keeps getting better.
Oh how I remember those days. Hang in there, mama. It WILL get better, I promise! Samantha screamed bloody murder every time Jackson nursed for a while, and tried to pull him off of me. Not fun. And she'd never nursed!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 AM

New month, new thread! I didn't see one anywhere yet...

March Thread

User Tag List