Humping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do all little boys hump everything? My 18 month old loves to lay on the floor, a pillow or one of his toys and hump away. It doesn't bother me a bit and looks quite funny. I was just curious if this was something all little boys do around this age.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#2 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 PM

No, but all monkeys do.

As for boys, mine doesn't (yet), but I have heard it's quite common.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#3 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 PM

I was just about to ask this. My 21-month old does. What does one do about it (or do we need to do anything about it at all)? Do they outgrow this?
#4 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
I was just about to ask this. My 21-month old does. What does one do about it (or do we need to do anything about it at all)? Do they outgrow this?
IMO, there's no need to do anything about it, other than, if they do it in public, let them know it's something to do in private.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never even thought of it as "humping" and my DS has been doing it for a very long time. I'm not even sure when he started. When he is lying down he moves his butt up and down which I'm guessing your DS does as well. I thought of it more as comfort, like he is trying to get comfortable and it feels right to him. I never worried about it and I pretty much worry about everything.
#6 of 21 Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sorry. double post.
#7 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 AM

my son does the same thing but only at night and hes 5.
#8 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 AM

There was a 3-4 year old girl in a daycare I worked at who did this at naptime. As far as I know it's pretty normal self-stimulation/comforting behavior, just like twirling hair or biting lips.
#9 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan's Mom View Post
I never even thought of it as "humping" and my DS has been doing it for a very long time. I'm not even sure when he started. When he is lying down he moves his butt up and down which I'm guessing your DS does as well. I thought of it more as comfort, like he is trying to get comfortable and it feels right to him. I never worried about it and I pretty much worry about everything.
Same here...my 13mo does it when he goes down for bed...I thought it was for soothing too

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
#10 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 PM

My twin almost 29 month old boys do this quite often during sleepy times (waking up or falling asleep).

I actually wanted to pose a question: when I nurse my boys during these times (nap/bedtime/night/morning) we tandem lying down with a kid on either side of me (heads on my shoulders)... ANYWAY, they will sometimes change nursing positions and lie on top of me so we are belly to belly, and they will do their "humping" comforting thing there (on top of me).

Would anyone find this uncomfortable? Would you want to stop it? If so, how would you? If it was an activity they did while fully awake I may easily say something like "that's something you should only do in private" or "you can do that on the bed, but not on a person" but they are half asleep when doing it...

what do you all think?

mom of twins.gif boys born 9/13/05 and dog2.gifdog2.gif

#11 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Do they outgrow this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
Would anyone find this uncomfortable? Would you want to stop it? If so, how would you? If it was an activity they did while fully awake I may easily say something like "that's something you should only do in private" or "you can do that on the bed, but not on a person" but they are half asleep when doing it...

what do you all think?
I would probably find it uncomfortable. I would want to stop it. I would probably change positions if at all possible OR undo their latch every time they did it without saying anyting. If you know that will wake them to undo their latch or change positions I would put a pillow between you and them. If you need to put the pillow on top of you before the nursing begins.
I'd be very careful about saying things about not doing it to a person.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#12 of 21 Old 02-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Would anyone find this uncomfortable? Would you want to stop it? If so, how would you? If it was an activity they did while fully awake I may easily say something like "that's something you should only do in private" or "you can do that on the bed, but not on a person" but they are half asleep when doing it... what do you all think?
I don't think it would make me uncomfortable. I guess I would stop it though, probably just by moving them back down to my sides. No big deal, totally understandable, just not something that I let go on. Kinda like if DS and I are horsing around and he buries his face in my crotch. I just move him away a bit and carry on.
#13 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM

our baby does the humping thing too...mostly when he is going to sleep or waking up...he is 20mo...seems normal to me...

peace...

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#14 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 AM

My son does this (14 months) when he seems like he is self comforting.
#15 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 AM

My DD(16mo) does this quite frequently, and she will also play with herself. DH and I have talked about it, and we don't want to discourage her, but to teach her that it is something you do in private...like picking your nose (which she has also been doing). For now, she is a little young for a talk about privacy, so we just distract her when she is doing those things. I hope that helps.
#16 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro246 View Post

I know. That was such a silly question, wasn't it?
#17 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 AM

my dd does this and has for quite sometime...she turned 2 in december and i know she's been doing it since she was like 15 months old. she does it when she is sleepy but she get on something to do it like the arm of the couch or a toy or her toddler chairs in her room...once at a friend's house she got sleepy and started to do it and the friend freaked out really BAD!!! I asked the Dr about it sereval times but the dr always tells me the same thing "Its normal and she should quit by the time she is 3 dont teach her its bad...let her be her..." the dr even told me i'd be surprised how many kids do this...the dr said that almost as many kids suck pacifers as kids that hump things. but it does get embarrassing and yes I have been called a bad parent when this happened...it makes me feel bad sometimes since she wont stop and i'm scared that she wont stop since she is going to get use to doing it and it will be a routine with her like it is now...
#18 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 AM

My ds also does this and I just asked his ped, who told me it is completely normal and that he has even heard of 2 year olds masterbating (sp) It is soo weird for me..I have to get use to all this boy stuff.
#19 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 AM

DS has never humped anything...but he likes to tug at it alot and will walk around with his hands down his pants lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#20 of 21 Old 02-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
DS has never humped anything...but he likes to tug at it alot and will walk around with his hands down his pants lol
My ds (26 months), too! We have just started to remind him to go to his room to play with his penis, which is kind of sinking in.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#21 of 21 Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
No, but all monkeys do.
You know, this did seem to coincide with the monkey taking over.

Quote:
My twin almost 29 month old boys do this quite often during sleepy times (waking up or falling asleep).

I actually wanted to pose a question: when I nurse my boys during these times (nap/bedtime/night/morning) we tandem lying down with a kid on either side of me (heads on my shoulders)... ANYWAY, they will sometimes change nursing positions and lie on top of me so we are belly to belly, and they will do their "humping" comforting thing there (on top of me).

what do you all think?
Ds does this while he's nursing and laying on my belly. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I usually to reposition him.

I've thought of it and Ds does seem to do it most when he's sleepy.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page