so I thought dh had him and dh though I had him.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and he comes wandering out of the hall bath with a very big smile and a proud look on his face and says, "Cheeks!!" I thought he had opened the lotion somehow and put it on his cheeks.

It was hair gel. Sigh.

Moral of the story: Don't think dh has him.

What are you kids getting into?
#2 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM

A few weeks ago I left my 7 year old "watching" (I use the term loosely) my 2 year old while I took a bath. They were sitting together on the couch snuggled up, watching tv and eating yogurt. Simple right? Twenty minutes later I come downstairs and dd is covered in yogurt. She has hair down to the middle of her back that was in a ponytail, covered in yogurt, her face, her hands, her feet. I ask ds "what the hell happened??" He looks at me, startled and says, "what?" He had no clue. Literally a bomb could have gone off and he would not have noticed. So new rule, we don't watch tv when we're supposed to keep an eye on our baby sister.
#3 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:08 PM

When I read the subject line it reminded me of when my parents left me at church when I was little... They came in seperate cars with the kids divided between them (mom had to be there early) and after church they both left, thinking the other parent had me. I was about 2 or 3, I wandered around the church for a while until the pastor found me oops.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#4 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM

Last week, my two boys were playing quietly with their cars. I took the opportunity to jump in the shower. I left the door open so that I could hear if disaster struck and raaaaaced through my shower. During the less than five minutes I was in there, DS2 dumped a bottle of facial mosturizer onto the coffee table, put a handful of hair putty in his hair, and covered himself in an entire thing of loose eyeshadow (luckily, a free one that I got from ordering the stuff I usually use). This is how I learned that he can now reach into the bathroom drawers.
#5 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Just what I needed thanks.
Usually these moments result in plant soil down the stairs,(nephew at MY house!)Or kids up to their elbows in the bathroom sink water-all the time w/ 4 yr old dd.I think "Good, she remembered to wash"...and then 5 min later the sink is still on...
The all time BEST we have so far is "The haircut".I walk out onto the porch to check on the kids, and dd is there with her neighbor friend,both about 3, and both with very artistic new hairstyles!The neigbor girl had brought her scissors over.She was never well supervised-our porch was facing her porch,so we could both easily see what they were up to,and her mom claimed the scissors were not theirs...Anyway, we knew it was comming for our dd as I had shaved my head a month earlier and she SO wanted a buzz too.I took pics,it WAS her first haircut!!! Let her finish, and buzzed her head.The nighbors just laughed in hysterical shock, and tried to have a salon style it into a 'do.
We've yet to see the potential of ds who is now 18 mo, and getting into fun....

:::
#6 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Keira colored the cat.
#7 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM

My motto is never assume daddy is paying attention even if he DOES have the baby.
#8 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM

I can't tell you how many times DH has gotten up with the kids, taken the baby out of bed so I can sleep and then promptly fallen asleep on the couch, with me asleep and unaware. Let me tell you, chaos ensues. I usually find my 2 year old naked and peeing or pooing on the floor, drawing on the walls, fingerpainting yogurt or something worse and the baby crying from nobody paying attention to her. :
#9 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I can't tell you how many times DH has gotten up with the kids, taken the baby out of bed so I can sleep and then promptly fallen asleep on the couch...
Whoa my goodness, I'd be ticked!

The worst we've had so far is finding DS sitting in the middle of the kitchen table. We didn't know he could climb!

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#10 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
A few weeks ago I left my 7 year old "watching" (I use the term loosely) my 2 year old while I took a bath. They were sitting together on the couch snuggled up, watching tv and eating yogurt. Simple right? Twenty minutes later I come downstairs and dd is covered in yogurt. She has hair down to the middle of her back that was in a ponytail, covered in yogurt, her face, her hands, her feet. I ask ds "what the hell happened??" He looks at me, startled and says, "what?" He had no clue. Literally a bomb could have gone off and he would not have noticed. So new rule, we don't watch tv when we're supposed to keep an eye on our baby sister.
We had to institute the same rule because your ds sounds exactly like my dss - except for the fact that he is 23 years old!!!
#11 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times DH has gotten up with the kids, taken the baby out of bed so I can sleep and then promptly fallen asleep on the couch, with me asleep and unaware. Let me tell you, chaos ensues. I usually find my 2 year old naked and peeing or pooing on the floor, drawing on the walls, fingerpainting yogurt or something worse and the baby crying from nobody paying attention to her. :
It is reassuring to know that my man isn't the ony one who does this :
#12 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheOnlyOne View Post
...at the moment he's sticking a buter knife (no idea where he got it from0 into the vents and making the louvres open and close. I'm thinking its worth it to have a few minutes to chat with you all! ;-)

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
#13 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
...at the moment he's sticking a buter knife (no idea where he got it from0 into the vents and making the louvres open and close. I'm thinking its worth it to have a few minutes to chat with you all! ;-)
UNTIL he drops the butter knife down the vents!

I don't want to know what's down our vents!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#14 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Chocolate, mainly. If it's brown, I assume it's chocolate, I just don't taste it just in case :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

And I was on the computer. Our DD comes in with a huge butcher knife, psycho style, saying, "this no,no, no!" ACK! I told her thanks for bringing it to mama, and yes, it is a "no, no, no". I went to DH and his friends...oops, they left it on the counter after cutting some pie. some men!
#16 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheOnlyOne View Post
My two year old got into a TON of handcream, a food coloring gel at Michael's craft store (OMG the mess), and a bottle of conditioner all within the past week. Actually, within a couple of days last week.

He is lucky I have a really good sense of humor.

The employees at Michael's? Not so much.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#17 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you for the reminders ladies. I'm quite content with my three, and have NO desire for any more babies!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
A full container of powder and a bottle of baby bath make a very sticky, glue-like substance. Add quite a bit of water and it can cover then entire bathroom counter, floor and everything else in the bathroom. Plus leave sticky, powdery footprints all the way down the stairs.

Um, yeah, he wasn't using the potty.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#19 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffmommy View Post
And I was on the computer. Our DD comes in with a huge butcher knife, psycho style, saying, "this no,no, no!" ACK! I told her thanks for bringing it to mama, and yes, it is a "no, no, no". I went to DH and his friends...oops, they left it on the counter after cutting some pie. some men!
So hilarious...yet so scary.

I woke up one night to find my husband sitting up "AWAKE" beside me in the bed, carefully and lovingly holding...a loaf of bread wrapped up in a blanket. Somehow he had gotten up with the baby in the wee hours of the a.m. and decided to make himself a sandwich. He put the baby in the swing long enough to make said sandwich. She fell asleep in the swing and he brought the bread to bed. There he was, sitting in our bed, humming to that bread and watching Nova on PBS.

My kids usually get into food, like when ds ate almost an entire jar of green olives in the time it took to accompany dd to the potty.
#20 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM

my lo's haven't gotten into anything crazy yet but one of my friends has a little girl who was the flower girl in my wedding. 2 days before the wedding (she was 2 at the time ) she got into the vaseline and rubbed it into her hair!! have you ever tried to get greasy vaseline out of hair, not fun, lol!

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

#21 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 PM

just today dd1 put almost a whoe roll of TP and about 50 cents in pennies in the toilet.
she also was not just going potty.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#22 of 45 Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM

I thought DD was still sleeping at naptime so I jumped in the shower real quick to get ready for work. When I was done I went back to peek at her and found that she had gotten into a full bottle of baby powder and her room was covered. She was covered. She 'poofed' when she walked. The funniest thing was the little footprints in the powder, I have hunter green carpet. She looked at me when I came in the room and said "Katie got messy powder, mama vacuum, ok?"

Then one day DH got the Sharpie down and left it on the table. DD gets ahold of it and we realize it is awfully quiet. We find her in the recliner drawing lines on her arms and legs. She has a really proud look on her face when she looks up at us and says "Katie draws zebra arms, zebra legs, zebra knee" as she is pointing to all of her zebra parts. We cracked up!
#23 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post

I woke up one night to find my husband sitting up "AWAKE" beside me in the bed, carefully and lovingly holding...a loaf of bread wrapped up in a blanket. Somehow he had gotten up with the baby in the wee hours of the a.m. and decided to make himself a sandwich. He put the baby in the swing long enough to make said sandwich. She fell asleep in the swing and he brought the bread to bed. There he was, sitting in our bed, humming to that bread and watching Nova on PBS.

My kids usually get into food, like when ds ate almost an entire jar of green olives in the time it took to accompany dd to the potty.
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read and totally something my husband would do. He has had "sleep conversations" with me before, gotten up to go work in the middle of the night, etc. He doesn't believe me, I need to get him on video.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#24 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read and totally something my husband would do. He has had "sleep conversations" with me before, gotten up to go work in the middle of the night, etc. He doesn't believe me, I need to get him on video.
I have one of these too. One night when I was pg with #1, he woke me up because he was sitting up and frantically patting and smoothing the blanket between us. I asked what he was doing and he said, "I have to make room for my brother-in-law." I asked, "What?!" and he said, in a very annoyed tone, "I have to make room for Fran!!" (my brother) I told him no, thanks, I'd rather not have my brother in bed with us, lol. He never believes me either.

As for my kiddos, we haven't had anything too unusual - we've had the lotion spread all over their bodies, an entire box of Cheerios dumped on the floor, sketches on the walls, etc. etc.

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
#25 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#26 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
my lo's haven't gotten into anything crazy yet but one of my friends has a little girl who was the flower girl in my wedding. 2 days before the wedding (she was 2 at the time ) she got into the vaseline and rubbed it into her hair!! have you ever tried to get greasy vaseline out of hair, not fun, lol!
Remember slime? DS put it in his hair like hair gel. It was like dried glue.

for intuitive readings click here :
#27 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 AM

i think a more appropriate thing to say is "what isn't your toddler into". it seems like my (VERY SPIRITED) 2 year old is always into EVERYTHING. things he has gotten into lately/investigated while being unsupervised for as little as 6 seconds include:

-dumping our housemates ENTIRE BOTTLE of shampoo in the tub while i plucked my eyebrows IN THE SAME ROOM

-using his bathtub paint to paint his butt crack and try and jam the paintbrush UP HIS PICO. yes. up there. i turned around for like, 2 seconds.

-today i noticed it was dreadfully quiet and then heard a drawer open...i hurried to the kitchen only to find him with the little screwdriver (to open the locked basement door) jammed into the hole (yes, the right way) after "innocently" watching me put it away. oh yes. we thought we were so smart...my kid is way smart.

-about an hour later i noticed again that he was exploring (we are at my mom's house) and went to find him. i found him perched in my nephews playpen grinning with his hands folded neatly and puppy dog eyes. astounded i took him out and asked him to show me how he got in there. turns out he put one foot on the crib, then his hand on the dresser (WTF) and then put the other foot in the crib while somehow manuevering himself (very smoothly i might add) into the crib. uh yeah. i WAS considering gymnastics but now that i think about it...no way. like i need him figuring out how to swing from the bookshelves and the lights. i'm pretty sure he gained his mad skillz from the little kid at mcdonald's last week teaching him all the little secrets of getting to the top of the playplace ("put your foot in the bubble, then pull yourself up with the bar!")

omg.
i could seriously type for HOURS.

photosmile2.gif mom to 5 year old haye REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(9.27.2005) and brand new baby zaobabyf.gif(5.23.2011)
#28 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:

laughup:

A happy woman
#29 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
that is my dh!!! the number of times I've paid for a nap by having to clean up their messes. which actually I am doing now...about to go wash the walls before I get some rubbing alcohol to try to get the sharpie off the walls. grrr

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#30 of 45 Old 02-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Thank goodness he didn't put her away where the bread was supposed to go.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page