EEK! We have toddlers! Feb 2008 thread for Feb 2007 babies! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just thought I'd start us a thread here since I don't see one yet!

(Although compared to our 3 year old, our 1 year old still looks like a baby...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM

snif, that was so fast!

ds1 had his third birthday last week and ds2 is one next week! two toddlers? ai!

ps, happy birthday sophie!
#3 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 02:50 PM

I canNOT believe our babies are a year old!!!! Her birthday was such a reminder of how short life really is!! DD is doing fantastic, loving life, learning EVERYTHING right now. It seems like she learns something new every day. She is close to walking, but mainly relies on crawling as her primary mode of transportation at this time

Happy February, mommas!
#4 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 03:59 PM

This is my first time posting in the toddlers section!
Happy Birthday Feb 2007 babies!
#5 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Happy birthday to our sweet Feb babies, although I have a March baby!!

Well we are walking here and it is oh so nervewracking! I forgot how scary it is to watch them swerve all over the place like a little drunk person! She has fallen a bunch of times lately and now has a nasty bruise on the top of her ear and her forehead. It breaks my heart!!! She has another cold too!! I can't believe how many bugs we've gotten this winter. Poor thing, whenever she sees me coming with a tissue she takes off or starts crying. I have started using some super soft prefolds to wipe her nose and they seem to be a little better on her.
#6 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Julie, we've been nonstop sick here too! It's so frustrating! I love the walk of a new walker, it's so cute, we call it "Frankenstein baby"! It's just adorable (nerve wracking, yes, but cute!).

Now if I could keep the 3 year old from knocking her over on purpose, life would be grand...
#7 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't want my baby girl to be a toddler.
#8 of 35 Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Me either! I don't want my baby boy to be a toddler!
#9 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Subbing, but I don't want to talk about it, I'm currently in denial :

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#10 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post

Now if I could keep the 3 year old from knocking her over on purpose, life would be grand...
YES!! As horrible as it sounds, I'm glad someone else is doing this! I was beginning to think my son was just a meanie! He has been just awful with Gracie the past two weeks. He takes things from her or knocks her over or throws toys at her generally just to see what happens. It is sooo frustrating!
#11 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM

Wow...well, this just made it a huge reality. My baby's a toddler!

What are yours up to? DD is talking up a storm. It's quite a shock to me since my 2 year old is just starting to talk. Seriously, where did that come from? She's saying 2 word phrases already! I think she'll outtalk her big brother.

Are yours walking yet? Eating much solids? DD has recently realized how much she loves solid food. You can't feed her enough it seems! She's still such a baby in some ways, but so much a toddler in others. Her temper is coming out. She loves to try to do everything DS does.

I really love this age, but I want her to be a newborn for like 5 minutes. Is that too much to ask?
#12 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Maybe its just me, but I still consider a one year old a baby.
I really wouldnt consider my child a toddler until they are either 1). Toddling (as per name - 'toddler') or 2). 18 months - 2 years old. So those of you who think you are in denial - you are not. The rest...stop rushing things lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#13 of 35 Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I really wouldnt consider my child a toddler until they are either 1). Toddling (as per name - 'toddler') or 2). 18 months - 2 years old. So those of you who think you are in denial - you are not. The rest...stop rushing things lol
Yeah, I consider my 1 year old a baby... I think of a baby as under 2 myself.

But my "baby" has been toddling since she was just under 11 months old! So we've already been here a while...
#14 of 35 Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM

anyway, my little guy, who will be 1 on monday, cut his first molar yesterday! poor wee man.

uh oh, he's crawling into the loo to see his brother...ai.
#15 of 35 Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DD is walking so well these days. She hardly falls at all anymore. Is anyone else walking well yet?
#16 of 35 Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
DD is walking so well these days. She hardly falls at all anymore. Is anyone else walking well yet?

I have a bonafide almost runner in my household Seriously, this kid goes so fast I have to pick up my pace to catch him.

How much sleep is your baby/toddler getting?? Brian still wakes up at least 3-4 times at night to nurse.

BTW, I am not happy with the toddler thing either...I am sad over the not being a baby anymore.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#17 of 35 Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM

my baby is one! :
#18 of 35 Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM

One year ago, I was in labor. Of course, he wasn't born until tomorrow, but a 26hr was a hell of a lot better than my daughters!

Anyways, happy birthday babies! I can't believe it's been a year!

Ds is walking very well! Recently he's started falling more, but I think he's just gearing up for a growth spurt. He's been walking on his own since before Christmas, but was cruising around the furniture since 4 months, so he's really steady on his feet. He'll sleep for 3 hrs in his own room (in his own bed ) and then come into our room where he might wake up once, sometimes twice. Much better than dd at this age who was still up every hour.

Do any of you have babies who love to color? I don't remember dd being into coloring at this age, but if ds gets a hold of a pen or the magna doodles he can spend up to an hour just scribbling. It's the only time I see the boy sit!

Mama of three.

#19 of 35 Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2mimi View Post
YES!! As horrible as it sounds, I'm glad someone else is doing this! I was beginning to think my son was just a meanie! He has been just awful with Gracie the past two weeks. He takes things from her or knocks her over or throws toys at her generally just to see what happens. It is sooo frustrating!

I'm in the same boat with my 2 y/o really keeps you on your toes!!
#20 of 35 Old 02-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Gracie is walking really well and has been for a few weeks now. She won't turn 1 till March 9. As for sleeping, eh, okay. Lately, she's been waking up more to nurse but I'm not sure if that's because of teething, illness, or just trying to play catch up because she has cut down nursing during the day. She eats a ton of solids, I don't think she's met a food she didn't like so far.

I am wondering what everybody is using for babywearing these days?? I admit I don't wear her as much as I would like but I'm trying to get back into it and we are going on vacation for 5 days next month with activities planned where I will need to wear her. (Monterey Bay Aquarium, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and San Francisco) We currently have a BH mei tei but she hates the back carry and only likes the front carry when she's tired. Will she get used to the back carry? It's hard because she's so heavy, over 24 pounds, and it doesn't feel secure or comfortable enough for long periods of time. I'm debating getting a Beco 4th generation. Anyone have tips, ideas, or advice??? (I'm not that skilled so I'm looking for something pretty easy that I can get a squirmy baby into quickly) TIA!
#21 of 35 Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom View Post
Julie, we've been nonstop sick here too! It's so frustrating! I love the walk of a new walker, it's so cute, we call it "Frankenstein baby"! It's just adorable (nerve wracking, yes, but cute!).
That's what we call Ana, too!

We just got over 102 degree fever here. Why do they always get sick when there are so many fun things planned? Needless to say our weekend was spent indoors. We missed the semi-nice weather (30's-- but for MI in February that's tropical) and the sunshine.

I was so sad to see her sick, but thankfully she's on the mend. DH already had it so if I can steer clear we'll be home free.

Oh, and Ana has also decided that nursing to sleep is for suckers and will have no part of it. I'm so sad!!! It was such a quick and easy way to get her to sleep. Now we have to rock and bounce for what seems like forever and I am not enjoying it at all. It would be fine if she wanted to put herself to sleep, but she doesn't and she took away one of the best tricks in my bag. I'm so :yawning:

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#22 of 35 Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 AM

hi all!

we're still hanging around. Joe turned one on Sunday. Isaak had some HUGE jealousy issues over Joe getting a present. other than that, it went pretty well. he has his wbv tomorrow so we'll find out his weight. thinking about starting vax's but I'm not sure. he's doing so well I hate to screw it up. the only one we're really interested in doing is the DTaP right now. eh. we'll see. he's still nursing and growing so much. he knows so many words. it's adorable.

I'm still working a ton. it sucks. dh is still in IL looking for a job here but can't find one. his current job is letting him go in April. not sure what we're going to do because my salary isn't squat. it would cover one of our car payments. that's it. not the other car or house. pretty much, my job is just around so that we have benefits and a bit of extra cash. social workers don't get paid beans.

hope all of you are doing well!

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#23 of 35 Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm in denial about the toddler thing - Patrick is walking mostly everywhere these days but he's still a baby compared to my almost 10 year old!

And my next-to-last baby turns 5 today - my last February baby.

That same, sweet newly 5 year old can be a terror to his baby brother though so I'm glad I'm not alone. His favourite thing is to lay on the floor and slip his body in between Patrick's legs and then quickly spin around so Patrick falls down. Another thing he does is block Patrick from getting to me - which goes over like a lead balloon as you can all imagine. Sigh.

Patrick has 6 teeth now and is sleeping very poorly. We're going to see an accupuncturist for his allergies as I'm at my wit's end with them.

Happy Birthday to those who have recently celebrated or have yet to celebrate!
#24 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Where is everyone?? Do we have a new thread?? I can't seem to find us anywhere....:

On a fun note, we are the happy receipants of almost 6 inches of snow today: Saturday, it was 80 degrees & I was wearing shorts

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#25 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
Where is everyone?? Do we have a new thread?? I can't seem to find us anywhere....:

On a fun note, we are the happy receipants of almost 6 inches of snow today: Saturday, it was 80 degrees & I was wearing shorts
Maybe we'll just keep this thread going...

And 80 degrees! It's currently -1F here.

I've got a toddler and I'm not in denial anymore, although I was for quite a while. P's been toddling since he was 10 months old. He's practically running now. He babbles up a storm, but it's mostly just babbling. I think he's actually saying mama now And he's really into giving hugs, which I love!

If only he would sleep... he still wakes up 4-5 times a night to nurse. I've had one good night of sleep in the last 8 months (and that's when I was away on business - I woke up with breasts the size of melons - ouch!). Somehow I manage to survive at work, but I'm not sure how.
#26 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 01:56 AM

Is she still a toddler if she isn't really toddling yet?

Actually, dd just decided today that it is fun to try to get everywhere she wants to go without crawling. Since she can't walk, she has to be creative about it and sometimes comes up with clever ways to get a big person over there to hold her hands.

After three and a half months with no new teeth she just cut number nine, her first bicuspid (molar).

She is SO MUCH FUN right now! I love babies...I mean toddlers!
#27 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
Subbing, but I don't want to talk about it, I'm currently in denial :
: Me too! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
My DD isn't toddling yet, but she is really close. Maybe it's begining to sink in that we really do have a toddler.

DD has been able to climb out of the bed for about a week now, and last night --I'm so Proud! -- she figured how to get back into bed. She pulled out a package of diapers* we were storing under the bed to use as a foot stool to climb back in! Brilliant child! But still no walking. She stands for long moments and cruises a lot, but has never taken more than one trepidatious little step on her own.

* : I don't CD. We don't have a drier or a balcony and I just can't have diapers drying in my living room. In winter it takes 2 to 3 days for laundry to dry and there's already too much of it as it is. I just can't add diapers to it. I'm sorry.

Quote:
Gracie is walking really well and has been for a few weeks now. She won't turn 1 till March 9. As for sleeping, eh, okay. Lately, she's been waking up more to nurse but I'm not sure if that's because of teething, illness, or just trying to play catch up because she has cut down nursing during the day. She eats a ton of solids, I don't think she's met a food she didn't like so far.

I am wondering what everybody is using for babywearing these days?? I admit I don't wear her as much as I would like but I'm trying to get back into it and we are going on vacation for 5 days next month with activities planned where I will need to wear her. (Monterey Bay Aquarium, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and San Francisco) We currently have a BH mei tei but she hates the back carry and only likes the front carry when she's tired. Will she get used to the back carry? It's hard because she's so heavy, over 24 pounds, and it doesn't feel secure or comfortable enough for long periods of time. I'm debating getting a Beco 4th generation. Anyone have tips, ideas, or advice??? (I'm not that skilled so I'm looking for something pretty easy that I can get a squirmy baby into quickly) TIA!
We have a back pack (Gerry) that we use.
DD got too heavy for the Baby Bjorn ages ago.
She hated the ring sling when she was wee, but now she is ok in it. I use that when I don't have to carry her for long periods of time.
I also had a Hip Hammock which I found really comfortable. ('Til I lost it. Can't replace it ,cause there's nothing like it available here in Italy. )

All these things are pretty easy to get a wiggle worm into, but the back pack can be a bit challenging in a parking lot. It's easier if there is a table to put it on so you can put it on.

Have fun in SF, mom2mimi! I was raised in the SF Bay Area and it's a great city!

Glad I found you Mammas!

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
#28 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM

welcome miss 1928!

our group used to be so good about posting a new thread at the beginning of the month but not today. and i'm not either! the two toddlers are at it a bit.

i just wanted to say that i use the ergo and the beco for carrying ds2 around. i prefer the back carry as i'm generally out for a few hours and it's better for my back. but ds2 does pull at his hat and it gets over his eyes...anyway, i prefer the ergo to the beco, especially for a long walk.

right, i'm being mummyed right now...just wanted to say that ds2 is officially toddling, taking up to four steps at a time before crawling.
#29 of 35 Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM

So we got the Beco last week and I am loving it! I can finally get her into a back carry by myself, although she won't fall asleep there to save her life! Which is really what I want! But I am thinking with more practice she might. It is so much more comfortable than the MT! It came just in time as my hubby started a project of building a wall in our kids room and with her walking she wanted to be right there with him, hanging sheetrock! OUr house was meant to be a three bedroom but the previous owners knocked out a wall to make it a two bedroom and now we want the kids to have their own spaces so after 6 years of living here we are finally doing it, it's so exciting!

Miss 1928, I have one of those hip carrier thingies from One Step Ahead that I can't use. My girl is too heavy for it to be comfortable. I would be willing to ship it to you just for shipping. Not sure how international shipping works, but pm me and we can figure something out!

Gracie's party is tomorrow! It seems my whole family is going to make it, over 20 people in our little humble home. I'm having a good friend watch all three kids later so I can clean, clean, clean!!! HUbby wishes we had parties more often, LOL!
#30 of 35 Old 03-08-2008, 02:57 PM

We use the ergo too. It is great. Dd is over 20 pounds, so I am not interested in using anything that puts the weight on one shoulder. Ergo on the back is really good. I think dd would prefer a frame pack so that she would be higher up and able to see what I am doing from my back while I cook, but the ergo is so compact and easy to move around in inside and out. I am very happy with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page