Should I be Worried - Vomiting and Back Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd was sitting on the floor this evening stringing beads when she said her back hurt. I thought that maybe it was just a little sore form sitting and focusing on the beads so I had her come and lay on me. About five minutes later she started vomiting (and crying). When she was done she said again that her back hurt.

We cuddled for a while and I asked her if her back hurt still and she said no. About 45 minutes later she vomited again and then fell asleep in my arms and then I put her in bed.

I wouldn't be worried (more than normal vomiting) except for the fact she said her back hurt and that seems so odd and like nothing I have ever experienced.

She doesn't have a fever and I'm not surprised that she fell asleep in my arms (which is unlike her) because she was up at 5am and didn't nap today. She seems to be sleeping normally.

I am feeling fairly freaked out though, so it would be helpful to be talked down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 AM

Maybe a UTI.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 AM

If it were my child I'd make a call to the pediatrician on call just to be safe. I've never heard of a child saying their back hurt necessarily meaning anything, but that's what I have a doctor for, I would use them if only to make me feel better.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd1amommy View Post
Maybe a UTI.
that was my first thought. the kidneys are in 'the back' and sometimes patients do complain of back pain with a UTI or kidney infection. smell her pee next time she goes, it will typically be darker then usual and have a different smell to it. anything else going on? is she sleeping okay?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

I did call the doctor and they said to get seen if she had a fever as well. But I don't always trust what doctors have to say, so I'm worrying. Also I'm going in all the time to see if she has a temp.

She seems to be sleeping fine tonight although the last few days have been a wild rumpus when it comes to sleeping - I think that's just being 2.5 though.

I'll definitely be checking her pee.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I get (and have always gotten) kidney infections where I didn't run a fever and you couldn't tell from my pee. In fact, even when I have a raging infection, it won't show up in urinalysis--only a culture.

Thankfully, cranberry juice knocks it out of me. Just make sure to get one that is ACTUAL cranberry juice (they all have some sugar because to drink it straight is seriously like death).

I never vomited with mine, but I know others who have. Sounds like urinary system to me.

Sincerely,
Your armchair pediatrician

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 AM

To be honest, while it does sound like a kidney infection, if a uti has reached the kidneys as far as I understand that's more significant. Also if it's causing vomiting. I would seriously get that checked out. If I felt strongly about avoiding antibiotics, I would seek out an ND and ask for a strong natural treatment.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 PM

That happened to my ds. He was playing on the floor, then started lying on the floor saying his back hurt, then he vomited. He was sick (vomiting) for about two days, and complained about his back the whole first day.

We took him to the doc (it was the back that worried me more than the vomiting), and after examining him, she was not concerned about the back.

He got better and was fine.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM

how are you guys doing this morning? did you go to a doc?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:36 PM

I have heard of kids saying their backs hurt when REALLY it's their stomachs that hurt. When you have a bad stomach ache, it does radiate into the back. If she felt better after all the puking stopped, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had kidney stones that caused me throw up, but my back didn't stop hurting when I'd throw up. If her back pain goes away, I wouldn't worry about her kidneys.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

She is doing pretty well this morning. She hasn't vomited since last night, her pee seems normal, she is eating and drinking a bit and most of all tells me she is "feeling well". She's not quite as energetic as normal, but seems like its a normal stomach bug to me.

Thanks for giving me ideas on what to be looking out for and helping me panic a little less.

User Tag List