DD won't talk!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2003, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now maybe at 15 months, this is normal, i have no clue! But she doesn't say anything!!! She will scream and make a couple vowel sounds, but nothing beyond that. We say words for everything, but still, she will not even try to mimic the sounds! I SO long to one day hear "mama" or "nummies" come out of her little mouth!!! Am i just impatient?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2003, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Hey,

I got out my book from a child development class to see about this. My book says that at around 12 months it is normal for an infant to say their first recognizable word. They also say the temperament plays a big role in when a child will begin to talk but they also say that when language is greatly delayed parents should consult someone. They don't say what "greatly delayed" is though. The book is good and you could get it from the library, Infants and Children by Burke

I think that if your child is communicating in ways other than words you could give it a few more months but if there is a real lack of communication or if you get the feeling that there is something wrong than you should do some further research and possibly talk to an expert.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 09-08-2003, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Questions to ask:

Does she point at objects or make other motions for you to get or notice what she wants?

does she babble? (this is the beginning of talking)

Does she understand what you are saying and understand concepts, such as waving bye-bye?

If so , worry not. Speech develops different in all children. My DD is 17 months and only says a handful of words (but she does know a ton of baby signs). Take comfort in the fact that Einstein didn't talk until he was three! Talking just may not be important to your child, her mind is working on other things. Don't follow what the books say is "normal". All children are different. She WILL talk some day.

User Tag List