How do I keep my 20 mo entertained? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2003, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I have two boys ages 20 months and 2 weeks. My toddler gets so bored because he is not used to spending the whole day at home with the new baby. I don't want to let him watch anymore tv than he already does.

We don't have a lot of toys for him, just a Brio set, some cars and trucks, books and a couple of puzzles. Can you all suggest some good toys to buy for him, something that we can get a lot of mileage out of?

It's so hard to get him interested in something for more that five minutes! Coloring, playdough, trains... He loves to play outside but I live in Oregon so he won't be able to play outside as much once it starts raining all the time.

Please help... any suggestions are welcome.
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
My daughter is occupied with little blankets (actually washcloths), pillows (actually bean bags) and dolls. She arranges them and rearranges them endlessly.
In the kitchen I usually will set up a “project’ for my daughter. It usually involves messy things like dry beans/rice or water. This will keep her busy and it’s really fun, but you have to clean it up!

Unfortunately, I notice that if my daughter is allowed TV, which she is from time to time when we need extra “help”, her capacity to entertain herself dwindles accordingly. Perhaps limit the TV to a specific time of day so your son doesn’t even consider turning to it for entertainment in other times of day.

Oh, one more thing…my daughter will play longer if I’m in one spot and she knows exactly where to find me. Perhaps you could set up some toys and relax on the sofa with the little baby while your son plays.

And, if these things don’t help just know that he will become more and more interested in playing in the next few months. I know my daughter is playing longer and longer every day and she’s only 4 months older than your son.

Congrats on the new one!

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 09-08-2003, 11:21 AM

I second the idea of water play--put out a towel and place a pot of water, some spoons, etc. and make yourself comfy. Ds will play forever... I also love a good set of blocks, lots of books, and craft stuff.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:57 AM

My dd is a bit older, but here are some ideas that have worked for us:

-put a stool next to the bath or kitchen sink. Fill it with a little water, soap and toys (a good activity for after meals--gets their hands clean too!)

-put the fridge magnets down where he can reach them

-get some kind of play silk--doesn't have to be real silk, sheer curtains from the thrift store will work well

my dd's favorite toys are her wooden parking garage and cars, her little (like play soldier sized) plastic animals, and her stuffed animals. She plays with them every single day.

Hope that helps!

peace, Beth
Old 09-08-2003, 12:10 PM

Oh - I totally feel for you! My son was 20 months old when my daughter was born - and now Harrison is 22 months and Isabella is 7 weeks. It does get better, I promise!

One thing that Harrison loves is a felt board I made. Just take some felt and cover a piece of cardboard however big. Then take small scraps of different colored felts and cut out shapes/letters/numbers - whatever! Harrison can sit next to me and play with this while I nurse.
Also, when he needs to blow of steam (which is quite often - he's fairly hyper) I just take the baby outside with us so Harrison can run around the yard. We also try to take a walk first thing every morning - even if it's just to the end of the street and back. It seems to get us off on the right foot!

Good luck! Enjoy your blessings!

User Tag List