What Board Games Does Your 2-3yo Enjoy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just looking for some ideas for board/family games that we can play together. I looked at Target the other day but was so overwhelmed by all of the different games, most of which I don't know, that I couldn't make a decision.

I know Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders are out there, but is there anything else?

Thanks!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM

DD is 2.5 and loves Hullabaloo, even though she doesn't understand all of the instructions, she knows the shapes, and colors of and objects on the little mats and she really likes it. It's an interactive game though not a board game. She also likes memory.
#3 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 09:37 PM

2 might be a little young for board games
the first one DD1 got into was Orchard by Haba
IME Candy land just drags on TOO LONG for little ones

We have also set up flash cards and stuffed animals and rolled a dice and moved the animals around the flash card circle. Rolling the dice is half the fun!!
This was more to practice taking turns waiting etc.. but you could try it and see how *game playing* goes before investing any money
Kathryn
#4 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathinJapan View Post
2 might be a little young for board games
the first one DD1 got into was Orchard by Haba
IME Candy land just drags on TOO LONG for little ones

We have also set up flash cards and stuffed animals and rolled a dice and moved the animals around the flash card circle. Rolling the dice is half the fun!!
This was more to practice taking turns waiting etc.. but you could try it and see how *game playing* goes before investing any money
Kathryn
For a 2 year old, I like Selecta's Lotto Primo, and the Brown Bear game modeled after the Eric Carle book. Both are about matching and help practice taking turns! My 3 yo loves them, too.
#5 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM

My son is just over 3 and he likes:
-cranium cariboo- this is a great game for 2 year olds, as is
-memory- you can modify the game by only using some of the cards, or after a card has been turned up leave it up so it's not as much memory as matching
-guess who- needs someone to tell him the person's name before he starts, then he spells out the name he wants to guess
-card games- go fish, uno, war (again just using a subset of the deck)

He also likes playing with grown up board games, just playing with the board and pieces

Lisa
#6 of 11 Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstrite View Post
My son is just over 3 and he likes:
-cranium cariboo- this is a great game for 2 year olds, as is
-memory- you can modify the game by only using some of the cards, or after a card has been turned up leave it up so it's not as much memory as matching
-guess who- needs someone to tell him the person's name before he starts, then he spells out the name he wants to guess
-card games- go fish, uno, war (again just using a subset of the deck)

He also likes playing with grown up board games, just playing with the board and pieces

Lisa
DD will be 3 in April and she plays games like Lisa's DS does. I just alter the rules to fit her. Last night we played Trivial Pursuit where DD's questions were like: (she doesn't really understand moving yet though)

"In Goodnight Moon, what animal jumps over the moon?"

She loves Rummikub which my Grandma played with me when I was little. We play go fish using the tiles.

She also loves memory and Candiland.
#7 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Ravensburger has a game "Snails Pace Race" that my 3yo (barely) likes. It's non-competitive, which I like. She also likes Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and memory.
#8 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 AM

My dd will be 2 in April and her first real game was Memory. I give her about 6 matches and she turns them over and finds the matches to hand to me. She also really enjoys Connect 4, although we just put the checkers in and not truely play the rules; Hungry, Hungry Hippos, and we just bought Trouble where she practices counting and moving the pieces. She needs some help pushing the popper, but loves to put the pieces on her fingers . I also found this game at Toys R Us called Sequence, that is kind of like animal bingo. We take turns picking cards and put our checker on that animal, first to 4 in a row wins, although we don't play competitively on any of it and all the rules are altered to be really, no rules. It's about having fun and teaching her basics like colors, identification, following simple directions, ect.
#9 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! We bought Cariboo and Ker-Plunk today, so we'll see how she does with those.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#10 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Drihan loves "The very Hungry Caterpillar" game. She learned quickly about taking turns and it is great for counting. The only part I don't like is you feed him unhealthy foods.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#11 of 11 Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM

At 1-2yo, ds's first game was a Memory game. He didn't play according to the rules then, but liked to find the matches. Now at 3yo, he'll take turns and all of that.

Goodnight Moon Game is also good - it's a picture-matching game too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page