Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 250 Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wow! We had such a busy Easter weekend! But it was all just lovely. I also got some great pictures of the kids this morning - they're on my blog.

Overall, things are going so much better and I'm feeling better every day! I think that just the stress and worry over setting everything up with our new accountant for taxes this year plus a client being WAY behind on paying us just made mid-February to mid-March really miserable. Plus, throw in a dose of what must be SAD and things just really spiraled. But, I'm back to being able to sleep and eat and enjoy life again - whew! (Not that everything is perfect all of a sudden, but I'm able to handle the ups and downs and concerns without freaking out!)

Happy Easter, everyone!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#183 of 250 Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 AM

how precious QoC!!!
you hair seems to be getting longer too!
#184 of 250 Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
how precious QoC!!!
you hair seems to be getting longer too!
Thanks! I decided to grow my hair back out long. I don't regret cutting it (it was good for me to try a different look), but I'm sooooo freaking sick of people telling me I'm "cute!" And that's all I've heard since I cut my hair.

#185 of 250 Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Jen, I think you have a very glamorous, quite classic kind of beauty- I'd never call you cute though. You're far too strong a person for that

Monique I'm here if you want to talk, you know? Don't let the numbness back in. He is a beautiful, beautiful baby- he just looks immediately familiar to me and as if he's always been here.

You'll laugh to hear that we had snow here on Easter Sunday, though not enough to linger. We spent the weekend with my mother, just quietly chilling out. Yet more hassle over River's name, but apart from that it was good.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#186 of 250 Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups View Post
I decided to grow my hair back out long. I don't regret cutting it (it was good for me to try a different look), but I'm sooooo freaking sick of people telling me I'm "cute!"
I'm growing my hair back out, too, but I *do* regret getting it cut that short. I don't know what I'm going to grow it out to; a short wedge, maybe. I wish I'd done that in the first place rather than having had it all cut off. But I can say that I've pretty much never been satisfied with my hair, so this is nothing new.

Anyhoo, Monique, I loved the pictures on your blog! You all look beautiful and I agree with Helen that you have to fight against the pull of PPD or getting into a funk. I hope you are getting the nurturing you need.

Mel, where did y'all go? Did I miss that?

Spughy, that is crazy about your mom and your friend's mom!

barcelona, our intent was to focus on spring too, but we ended up not doing anything. I am a slacker. Well actually, I'm just feeling like there is so much to do right now and I don't have the energy for extra stuff. So at least Brynn didn't notice, but next year I really want to do something to welcome spring. Are you starting to feel a little better these past few days, barcelona? I think the winter blahs are getting to all of us. I'm so ready for some warmth.

Oh, in other news, my maternal grandmother is not well and is not expected to live through the week - and my mom isn't going up to spend her last days with her. I am just appalled, once again, at what a selfish freak my mother is and it's bringing up all of my old anger. She told my brother that she can only make one trip up to Oregon (from California) so she has chosen to go to the funeral rather than say goodbye to her mother. And just to clarify, my Grandma isn't in a coma, or experiencing dementia, or anything that would prevent her from actually recognizing and/or interacting with my mom. I just don't fricking get it.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#187 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM

Amy, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

#188 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 04:23 AM

Amy, I'm so sorry.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#189 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Don't let the numbness back in.
Yikes... now I"m scared. It's already here. I feel like there is so much I've forgotten in the way of mothering a newborn. I feel helpless when he's fussy (I think the herbs dh rubbed on my back yesterday made him sicky feeling). I forget what to do. Weird.
I want to get out but I am in no shape to yet. The inside of my pelvis still feels bruised and I start bleeding again when I get up and walk and do stuff around the house. My recti muscles separated all the way up to my sternum this time and it's seriously having an effect on recovery.

Quote:
he just looks immediately familiar to me and as if he's always been here.
I KNOW!!!!!!!!! Plus he looks exactly like Willem half the time and exactly like Gabriel the other half of the time.

Quote:
You'll laugh to hear that we had snow here on Easter Sunday,
So did we. And Monday, and last Thursday... Egch. I thought it was SPRINGtime!

So I posted this on my other ddc but blazing along on the naming trail, dh and I finally narrowed it down to two names, maybe three. Bryce is settled as the middle name. And the top three names in no particular order (one is my absolute favorite) are:

Nolan

Caedmon

Holden

We're sleeping on it and will decide on it in the morning (if anyone wants to comment before then)

Amy... sorry about your grandmother.
#190 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 AM

We'll get you through this It's funny, but I felt more comfortable being honest hereabout just how tough it was than my other DDC- familiarity, I guess? Anyhow, I'll keep thinking of you. You've had such a tough few months anyhow that adding in birth is the least of it...

#191 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Amy, I'm so sorry about your grandmother. And your mom. Is it possible she's scared of death, or has some unresolved issues with your grandmother that she *wants* to leave unresolved? I may be being too charitable, but I know when my dad died - and he was on morphine for the last bit - it was really hard to be around him, and we had NO issues, he was the best dad in the world. If I'd known what it would be like I might have even tried to not be there... it sounds awful, I know, but I really wish my last memories of him were not of him as sick as he was.

And on a completely different topic - is anyone else in "why" hell yet? Actually here it's "how come?" and "where?". As in, "Where's that little dog's mummy? How come that little dog doesn't have a mummy? Where's the other little barky dog? Where is Chinese New Year Dinner? Where are the seals?" Also, Rowan requires us to keep a road map of Victoria in our head at all times, and be able to recite the complete route to anywhere, wherever we go. Even if we've been there 150000000 times, like Grandma's house. Although, I have to say that people-watching with Rowan is a heck of a lot of fun. Yesterday we went to a really cool place for lunch, on the dock, and they holler out people's names to pick up their food, so Rowan was asking questions about all the people, using their names. "Where's Margaret? What is Margaret picking up? What is Margaret doing? Who is Lee? Is Lee a man? What's that little girl doing? etc. etc."

ETA: Monique, I like Holden and Nolan, but not so much Caedmon... little too medieval sounding I think - sorry if that one is your absolute fave!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#192 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 PM

Spughy - my kids do that with roads, too! Everywhere we go, its "what's this road's name?" and they point at every road we pass and say "What's that road's name?" And every time we turn onto our road they yell out its name over and over and over till we get to our house. Its pretty funny when I'm on the cell phone with someone and they hear the chorus start.

I'm sooooo happy right now. I made cold peanut sesame noodles for lunch and SIL and BIL are coming over for dinner so I'm making sherried tomato soup and quesedillas. YUMMY day! I'm trying to figure out what do to do with the kids this afternoon - maybe a hike before we go to the grocery store. Its spring break for Killian this week and so I'm remember now how much work it is to keep him entertained all the time! Ellie is so much easier, she's content to color, do playdoh, help me around the house... Killy needs so much stimulation, him being home requires us to take 1-2 outings a day, minimum. Whew!

Amy - I don't know the details, either, but I know if I really and truly could only afford one trip, it would be a tough call. Sadly, I think that most people would probably be really nasty to someone who didn't come to their mother's funeral. It was a tough call for us a couple years ago when David's grandmother was dying. We ended up driving out to say goodbye to her, but I was worried that everyone would think we were awful for not being at the funeral a few days later. No one ever said anything to us, but it was just a difficult situation all the way around.

#193 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Amy, I'm so sorry about your grandmother and your mom, too. I can understand why it is upsetting for you...I would feel the same way, I'm sure.

Monique, I hope you continue to fight the blues/numbness and come out of it strong. And good luck as you decide on the name! I think they are all lovely. I think my favorite is Holden.

Q of C, sounds love a lovely and delicious day! Have a great hike..sounds lovely. And I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Spughy, sounds like Rowan is so verbal and saying so much, and such cute stuff!

I am feeling better these days, too. Thanks for asking, Amy. I am getting out a bit more, and feeling closer to living a more balanced, fulfilled life. It's key for me to stay creative, so as long as I make sure that is happening, I am okay. Finley and I are having a lovely day together. He has been so sweet and easy lately.

Question for you All: How can I kill this skin thing on my face? (I don't remember if I told you all about it before). I've had it for over a month now. It is a smallish (about the size of a dime, probably smaller, though), roundish reddish dry skin spot, between my mouth and nose, but off to the side, like where my smile line is. I think it is eczema, but am not sure. Anyway, I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it, short of going to the doctor (insurance has been a whole separate drama/issue). Does anyone have any tips or other ideas of ways to knock this out? Any herbs or anything?

(Right now, I'm trying calendula gel...it seems to be a tiny bit less irritated, but not much).

THANKS!!!
#194 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Amy, I'm so sorry about your grandmother and your mom, too. I can understand why it is upsetting for you...I would feel the same way, I'm sure.

Monique, I hope you continue to fight the blues/numbness and come out of it strong. And good luck as you decide on the name! I think they are all lovely. I think my favorite is Holden.

Q of C, sounds love a lovely and delicious day! Have a great hike..sounds lovely. And I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Spughy, sounds like Rowan is so verbal and saying so much, and such cute stuff!

I am feeling better these days, too. Thanks for asking, Amy. I am getting out a bit more, and feeling closer to living a more balanced, fulfilled life. It's key for me to stay creative, so as long as I make sure that is happening, I am okay. Finley and I are having a lovely day together. He has been so sweet and easy lately.

Question for you All: How can I kill this skin thing on my face? (I don't remember if I told you all about it before). I've had it for over a month now. It is a smallish (about the size of a dime, probably smaller, though), roundish reddish dry skin spot, between my mouth and nose, but off to the side, like where my smile line is. I think it is eczema, but am not sure. Anyway, I have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it, short of going to the doctor (insurance has been a whole separate drama/issue). Does anyone have any tips or other ideas of ways to knock this out? Any herbs or anything?

(Right now, I'm trying calendula gel...it seems to be a tiny bit less irritated, but not much).

THANKS!!!
Hmm, I will have to try to remember what I had--I went to a dermatologist because I had something similar on the side of my face--sort of red and scaly and it even got sort of raised. It was something basically normal, and unfortunately I don't even remember what we did about it but it essentially went away. Sorry that that's totally not helpful! I'll try to remember that and find a pic online and see if that makes sense to you.
#195 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM

Kavita, Do you remember what the cause of it was, or how long it lasted?
Thanks for helping! I am just so sick of this thing, and I'm starting to get auditions again, so I need to be looking a little...better. (and more importantly, I just *feel* so gross).

Thanks again!
#196 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

God, I hope it's not impetigo like what's-her-name on America's Next Top Model had!! Just kidding. Sounds annoying, though, for sure.

Thanks for all the thoughts on my mom. I've basically come to the conclusion that regardless of her true motives (or even excuses) I still really believe she's an ass, so all of my responses come from that place. As I told Kavita last night, she called and said she is headed up to Oregon today, so I guess I have to spare her my righteous indignation. Oh well.

Monique, Holden would be my choice of the three.

I'm off to make dinner. I'm SO not motivated to cook dinner these days. :

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#197 of 250 Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 PM

I like Holden, too. And Monique, he's stunning!

So today we got a bright orange notice on the windshield of our not-running car that's been parked on the curb for about a month. Seems the police frown upon these kinds of eyesores. I should have known it was coming when I heard the street cleaners come by this morning--I think they were content to ignore our broke-down SUV once, but having to maneuver around that sucker twice must have done them in. We are so that family right now.

Next week is my spring break, but I must say that I'm so into what we're doing in school right now that I don't feel like I need it the way I thought I would. Doubtless I will feel differently when I get to sleep in on Monday...

Dh went to a family gathering this past weekend, got into a somewhat heated political discussion with his brother, and then moments later witnessed him slap his 4 y.o. son across the face over some tiny, tiny incident. Dh was so shaken up by this; they were raised with the kind of infrequent and somewhat restrained corporeal punishment that many of us were, but he and all his other brothers and sisters make a conscious choice to be gentler parents. He's still processing what happened, deciding how to think of it, and how to think of his brother.
#198 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 AM

Oh HoneyTree, that sounds Awful!!! I am so sorry your DH is going through that, and especially for your nephew. I hope that comes to some kind of productive, peaceful conclusion. In the meantime, Enjoy your Spring Break! No doubt the extra sleep will be lovely and much deserved.

And Amy, I'm not proud to say, I remember that incident on ANTM. Thankfully, mine isn't spreading all over, just this one annoying spot, so I think I'm clear from that I do hope I can find a solution to it soon, though.

Monique, can't wait to hear what you decide for your beautiful new boy's name!
#199 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 AM

barcelona - I had something kind of similar in college on several areas of my face which I chalked up to an allergy to grapefruit. (I'd never had grapefruit before, had it twice in one week, and that a weird red/scaley/slightly raise rash on some areas of my face) However the nurse at the student health center said it wasn't an allergic reaction and suggested that it was irritation from my face wash, which was an anti-acne wash. She suggested that I switch to cetaphil (I think that's the name - the really basic, gentle face wash) and a "sensitive skin" lotion. I did that and stopped eating grapefruit and it went away within a week or two. Good luck! I'm such a "picker" I obsess over any imperfections in my skin. When I get regular dry patches I usually slather on some night-time (heavy) lotion right before bed every night - leave it on thick enough that its still white on the skin, and it seems to help letting it soak in overnight.

#200 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 AM

I remember that incident on ANTM too. :. Oh what pop culture junkies we are! Barcelona, I'm sorry, I don't have any advice for you... but the calendula sounds like a good idea - that's what I throw at any and all skin irritations, it works most of the time except on DH's really bad eczema.

Teresa - I am so sorry about your nephew. That's just awful. I hope - because I am the meddling sort - that your DH decides to talk to his brother about it, rather than just letting it stew... it's going to damage their relationship regardless, but talking to him *might* make him think twice the next time he wants to hit his child. Oh, that just makes my heart hurt thinking about it.

QofC - THANK YOU for letting me know your kids have a dire need to know what road they're on too! I thought Rowan was a little odd. I feel much better now.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#201 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 AM

spughy, what do you do for really bad eczema for your DH? does my description sound like eczema to you? (i've never had it before...)

Q of C, that is REALLY interesting about the grapefruit thing! cause i have never eating grapefruit in my life til about two months ago, when this thing came up! and i've been eating grapefruit all the time these days. i'll stop and see if that helps. that would be crazy if that is it. thank you for sharing! i hope it works. as for face wash...i guess i could try cetaphil, though i doubt it's my face wash, as i had it for months before this showed up.

and teresa, i kind of hope your DH says something to, though know how delicate and awkward those situations can be...
#202 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Q of C, that is REALLY interesting about the grapefruit thing! cause i have never eating grapefruit in my life til about two months ago, when this thing came up! and i've been eating grapefruit all the time these days. i'll stop and see if that helps. that would be crazy if that is it. thank you for sharing! i hope it works. as for face wash...i guess i could try cetaphil, though i doubt it's my face wash, as i had it for months before this showed up.
Oh, how bizarre!!!

#203 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
spughy, what do you do for really bad eczema for your DH? does my description sound like eczema to you? (i've never had it before...)
I don't know... I think the grapefruit might be a more fitting explanation, especially if you've never had eczema before - it's usually a lifelong sort of thing, DH has had it since he was a baby. But what he puts on it, if it's really bad, is hydrocortisone. Which is not great long-term, as it thins the skin.

#204 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM

thanks everyone for the skin help! i'm stopping my grapefruit habit, and i'll let you know how that turns out. i did a bit of online research on grapefruit allergies, and it does look like it's feasible/possible that this is the cause. how wild!

off to finish some photo biz, and then take the boy-child out to play.

hope everyone has a delightful day!
#205 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 PM

I thought I had posted here but I guess I had just emailed the online birth announcement out. It's right here. Kinda redundant to retype that all out.

People either love his name or hate it. Dh and I love it. And that's all I'm going to care about now.

My mom hates it. And has decided to be all mean about it. I'm trying to process that right now and am sooo ticked off by her psychopathic manipulation. It was all I needed to the tip the scales and now I'm feeling anxious and incredibly sad and it's so so so stupid. I'm gonna have to call you soon Kavita, just gotta find the time.

We decided Nolan Bryce was too close to Norman Price (the kid who's always getting in trouble on Fireman Sam) and the boys would probably keep forgetting his name. Holden is the name of a major car company in NZ, and it being a place I'd like to live, we decided it wasn't a good idea to name him the equivalent of Cheverolet here in the States. plus the whole Holden in catcher in the rye thing..

Had my 8day pp visit today and he's gained 14 ounces overall. Lost three in the first day and is up 11 so weighs 9 lbs 4oz now. I'm trying so hard to savor every moment of his luscious newborness. Smelling his neck sends a tingling cascade of contentment through every cell of my body. Sigh. I think I need more baby sniff therapy right now....
#206 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm right there with the naming hassles People are stupid sometimes.

#207 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
People either love his name or hate it. Dh and I love it. And that's all I'm going to care about now.

My mom hates it. And has decided to be all mean about it. I'm trying to process that right now and am sooo ticked off by her psychopathic manipulation. It was all I needed to the tip the scales and now I'm feeling anxious and incredibly sad and it's so so so stupid. I'm gonna have to call you soon Kavita, just gotta find the time.

We decided Nolan Bryce was too close to Norman Price (the kid who's always getting in trouble on Fireman Sam) and the boys would probably keep forgetting his name. Holden is the name of a major car company in NZ, and it being a place I'd like to live, we decided it wasn't a good idea to name him the equivalent of Cheverolet here in the States. plus the whole Holden in catcher in the rye thing..

Had my 8day pp visit today and he's gained 14 ounces overall. Lost three in the first day and is up 11 so weighs 9 lbs 4oz now. I'm trying so hard to savor every moment of his luscious newborness. Smelling his neck sends a tingling cascade of contentment through every cell of my body. Sigh. I think I need more baby sniff therapy right now....
i love his name! but i hear you on the name stuff.. my family all have strong ideas about my kids names. i think they like them now, but we all argued about what rue-bee's name would be. i finally named her what i wanted, but i think tim is still a bit miffed.

on baby sniffing...i still sniff rue everyday all day long . she still smells like a yummy baby to me and she is 2 months old now...i only bathe her once a week or so and just use water and a teeny bit of calendula baby wash (weleda stuff) so she really does just smell like herself, which is So mmmM. *sigh* but she is getting big so fast. i guess she isn't huge, she is still squeezing into most of her NB stuff but she is tall, like all of my kiddos.. tall and skinny. why didnt i get those genetics too? last time i weighed her he was 10 lbs 8oz with a shirt on...at 6 weeks old

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#208 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 08:25 PM

People can be so ridiculously insensitive with something as personal as a baby's name. I remember when my sister decided to name her son Canyon, in 1994, in our very NOT crunchy family, and my mom and her sisters teased her that they would call him "Gorge." And you can imagine the flack I took from these same women at naming my child Woody. Monique, he's a lovely boy with a lovely name, and though I know you know this, his name will fit him perfectly as he grows and everyone else will simply have to adjust.

Regarding dh seeing his brother slap his nephew, if it were me, I would have made a comment, too, or would have had to have a conversation about it before leaving. We are in great contrast that way; it's an almost physical thing for me that I can't sit with conflict--I have to resolve it and resolve it quickly or I can't move on to anything else in my life. While he was shocked, he tends to sit with things until wisdom comes to him, then works things out from a very calm place.
#209 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
thanks everyone for the skin help! i'm stopping my grapefruit habit, and i'll let you know how that turns out. i did a bit of online research on grapefruit allergies, and it does look like it's feasible/possible that this is the cause. how wild!

off to finish some photo biz, and then take the boy-child out to play.

hope everyone has a delightful day!
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with this--I tried looking this up but couldn't find what I was thinking of--I think what I had might have been something like a seborrheic keratosis--however it didn't look nearly as horrible as the photos I saw of them online so it didn't make sense to post it because it seemed like that probably wasn't it for you anyway.

The other thing I was going to suggest that you could see if a bit of hydrocortisone cream might work. Usually that stuff works pretty fast (within a day or two) if it's something easy that will respond to it IME. Of course I thought of this initially because I was wondering if it might be fungal or bacterial, and I had the idea of trying some APNO (all purpose nipple ointment, which has equal parts antibiotic cream, Monistat as an antifungal, and cortisone cream. But then it occured to me that this was probably not such a good idea after all because the bacterial or fungal thing is probably not that likely) but a little bit of cortisone might be helpful, even/especially if it is allergy related. Calendula is usually what I try first for skin stuff but can't say that I've had miraculous results with it either.

At this point I feel like I'm not qualified to advise anybody on anything these days!! I've been trying for months to deal with nipple pain, thinking that it was mostly thrush related, and trying everything from the natural methods to the hard-core systemic antifungals, and I finally caved and saw a doctor that I know who is very AP friendly and has a midwifery past of some sort and does births in a hospital and ob/gyn as a family practice doc. She listened to the whole ridiculous saga and looked at it and decided that we should try an antibiotic instead because it seems like it might actually be bacterial and lo and behold, it seems to be finally clearing up. Well, I am not perfect, at least I know that at some point I need to actually consult an outside professional when things aren't working on my own. It's really funny too because I'd made the appointment to get a pap smear and general exam too, and I ended up taking Ella with me and when she was checking the nipples out Ella was very interested and pretty much jumped me and latched on, so then when we did the pap smear I had this ginormous barnacle-girl attached to me and I ended up just hosting her up so she was laying across my chest, scooting down to the end of the table, and having the pap smear like that. It was weird, but it worked.

We are also right now in a really unpleasant and bad situation with the contractor who was building our fence, so please send some good vibes for a positive resolution for all parties! DH and I are both really unpleasantly sick, and Ella is being a little crazy because she's been stuck in the house with lethargic and unhappy parents the whole week. :: Harish has been going to work but not much else. On the other hand it's giving me the opportunity to really work on potty learning--I have decided that I'm just sick of putting it off for reasons that aren't really related directly to Ella, and that I'm tired of messing with diapers when I really think she can be more or less done with diapers already if we give her the opportunity.

Mama Fern--it's good to hear from you! Glad little Rue-Bee is doing well and still smelling her nice newborn smell! I still smell Ella sometimes!

HoneyTree--that sounds like an upsetting incident. I can relate to what you said about how your DH needs to process it differently than you do, I think I am a little more like him too, although I don't like to sit on things too long either.

Monique--hey, operators are standing by, waiting to take your call!

Q of C--it shocked me to read that you never tried grapefruit until you were in college! I don't know why but that seemed really amazing to me. Probably because when I was growing up, a half of a grapefruit with a little maraschino cherry in the center and a little sugar sprinkled on it was the standard prelude to dinner. And I remember my grandparents having oatmeal and grapefruit and coffee for breakfast. I guess to me it therefore seems really ordinary and like one of those things that everyone has eaten. Especially because my mom certainly didn't venture too far into the exotic in the food department. This kind of reminds me of when I lived in Costa Rica--mangos and papayas and passionfruit and guava are really common and you can get them on the street corner. But people really went crazy for apples, because they are rare and imported! And horses there eat bananas, like a horse here would get a carrot or an apple for a treat, which seemed really funny to me.

spughy--Ella is really into "where's this? where's that?" too. Only it's more about where stuff is in the house. And it's often accompanied with a very exaggerated shrugged shoulders/palms up gesture, which is really funny. Then sometimes she'll conclude with, "Maybe closet!" and run off to check and see where it is. Also, "What's this? What's that? Show me!!" She's not so into the street name thing, but she certainly recognizes just about every place she's ever been practically in her entire life even if she's only been there once. And heaven help us, she is fascinated with cutting stuff and always wants to cut her own food and gets mad if we don't give her a knife or if we try to cut something for her. We went to a party the past weekend and there were all kinds of kids running around playing and various types of chaos, and at some point DH found that she'd dragged a stool over to the counter where the food was laid out and was using a sharp knife to saw away at a loaf of Irish soda bread. Eeek! On a cuter and less scary note, last night DH gave her some new playdoh (still in the shape of the can and not all smushed up yet) and she very carefully used the little plastic playdoh knife to slice the log of playdoh into rounds, and then lined the rounds up very precisely all in a line on her section of kitchen counter where she does her playing. When DH and I asked her about what she was doing, she answered, "Making pizza!!!" She definitely is picking up on stuff!

Okay, one more cute brag before I sign off here--I sometimes say, "Good morning, sunshine!" to her, and sometimes tell her that she's my sunshine. And quite spontaneously she told me recently, "Yes! Ella's sunshine. And Mommy's a rainbow!" and now if i tell her "good morning sunshine", she smiles and answers "good morning, rainbow!" She is really the sweetest!
#210 of 250 Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM

That's so cute about the sunshine and rainbow!

My parents don't like grapefruit, so we just never had it in the house. They also don't like lima beans or black-eyed peas, and I never tried those till college, either!

I'm in a very cranky mood at the moment. I won't go into details because I don't want to focus on it, but I'll leave it at: in my next life, I better darn well be the husband because its a much better deal, ime.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page