Nov. '05 Mamas, Marching into Spring! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy March, everyone.

Welcome to the world, baby Leah!! Congratulations, Alicia! Have a wonderful babymoon.

Here's the old thread.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Congratulations, kaspirant, and welcome, Leah .

Yesterday I did a knit-a-thon! I spent 7 hours and 45 minutes crocheting squares for afghans for hospice patients. I made 13--enough for a good-sized lap blanket. My darling husband was there minding the boy for a good part of that time, though he was in and out running errands, too. But there were lots of little kids, and people from all walks of life. There was even this very old man with a long gray beard who saw a flyer for the event in a hardware store in a tiny little country town just outside of my city. He knit a scarf . But there was a lot of sneezing there, and I, dh, and Woody all came home with colds .

"the small but horrendously badly parked because all the mothers at my childs schools are selfish cows"

Helen, this made me laugh and cringe at the same time. It's so, so, so true--people are at their most oblivious to other life forms in this scenario. But your funny phrasing, I think, I will keep in mind for the days that I, too, am navigating the school parking lot with my child in one arm and my laundry basket full of teacher stuff in the other as all the selfish cows (and cocks, just to keep with the barnyard theme here) are zooming around in a ridiculous rush and making the not-even streets unsafe!
#3 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Happy March!

I pulled my left hip flexor yesterday doing Pilates, of all things. And just the DVD I've been using for months - I really don't know how that happened. But I'm in a large amount of pain now. DH says it's just because I'm getting old. He's such a comfort.

But in positive news, I've got a couple of my pepper and tomato plants poking through! Yay! This is the earliest ever I've got garden stuff going and I'm rather proud.

Happy babymoon again Alicia, and I wish you happy contented babyness

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#4 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Congrats Alicia and welcome baby Leah!!!!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Congratulations Alicia!!! What a nice way to start a month...

Spughy, gentle hip healing. Congratulations on the plants- they're undercover, right?

Honeytree, I wish I was joking about my school-gate compatriots

Right now I'm feeling really proud of myself because for the first time in a month, I have homemade cake for the kids lunchboxes tomorrow It's shocking how low my standards have become...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Congratulations Alicia!!! What a nice way to start a month...

Spughy, gentle hip healing. Congratulations on the plants- they're undercover, right?

Honeytree, I wish I was joking about my school-gate compatriots

Right now I'm feeling really proud of myself because for the first time in a month, I have homemade cake for the kids lunchboxes tomorrow It's shocking how low my standards have become...
Right now the plants are on my kitchen counter, in wee peat pots. I'll transplant them into containers in a few weeks and put them in my sunroom for a bit, then they'll move into bigger containers and move to new homes. I'm "ranching" the tomatoes and peppers this year - they'll go to wherever I can find hot spots and people willing to water them. I don't have enough protected space for 30+ peppers and 40+ tomato plants. Ambitious, much?

And, er, making cakes with a newborn??? All hail the goddess Helen!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 250 Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 PM

Congrats, kaspirant!

We took the most amazing hike today... my parents came along with us and we had a wonderful time. My uncle (whose wife passed last week) came and spent the weekend with my parents and so I went over to their house after the kids were in bed last night and we all sat around and talked and it was so nice - I think my uncle is actually doing very well with everything. Today they all came over for lunch after church and we had such a nice time!

After my uber-stressful week last week I'm so happy to have had a nice, relaxing weekend to get back to be a relaxed, happy, cheerful mommy. (I'm sure my kids are glad, too!)

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#8 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 AM

hey mamas.

just popping on with an update and prayer request from kaspirant:
leah hasn't pooped yet, which is the only thing keeping them from going home. and, they said if she hasn't pooped by tomorrow, they're gonna put her in the NICU. so, send your prayers or good vibes and thoughts or whatever leah's way, so she can get home asap and avoid the NICU!

her dh and ds are home, awaiting the girls' arrivals back home.

Q of C, i'm so glad your uncle is coping well in these first mourning days...and a big hug to you and all your family for your loss. i'm so glad you are feeling more peaceful and happy.

we had a lovely day...i worked at the yoga center this morning for "energy exchange", and then we spent the afternoon with some friends, helping them with their garden, which we're going to share with them...a sort of community garden. i'm so excited! it's my first time gardening EVER! finley loved it, and played in the dirt, and ran around outside. we ate dinner there, and then he fell asleep on the way home. i'm looking ahead to a good week, as DH and i forge forward into the unknown life of "creative people"
#9 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll sending poop vibes to baby Leah if you mamas will send some poop vibes to my poor sweet baby girl. She's been terribly constipated and waking up screaming from the pain. I am so sad for her, it's just awful. It took her two days of pushing and screaming before she was able to poop this last time and it was like a cat turd, totally solid and she has a little fissure on her poor bum now. I don't know what to do, she barely eats any solid food so I can only assume there must be some kind of change going on with my milk that is causing this. My poor little babe.
#10 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 PM

DiD, I noticed that my milk dried up a lot earlier with my pregnancy with River than it did with Isaac or Rowan- with Rowan I was still producing milk at 24 weeks, with Isaac it was all gone at 17 and with Skye I didn't make it out of the first trimester. I'd consider the possibility that you may need to supplement with liquids at least.
Alicia, sending many many poopy nappy vibes your way.

Mentioning nappies, Skye has totally regressed over the last month and is back in nappies- she had an extreme reaction to the antibiotics and has been diarrhoeay for much of this time, and I don't see this stopping any time soon. If any of you have kids still in nappies (pocket dipes, specifically) can you give me recommendations for a chunky toddler? I'm looking at either XL FBs or bumgenius or wonderoos.

I got given a sourdough starter today Yay me. I bought some kefir grains too, which should be here tomorrow.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#11 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Helen, kefir grains are wonderful. We've had kefir smoothies for breakfast every morning since I got mine over a year ago. MMmmmmmm. And good luck with the sourdough starter - that's one aspect of culinariness that has somehow eluded me, my sourdough bread always sucks and I've given up.

DiD - I know it's an extra expense you guys probably don't need, but probiotics will likely help Suriya deal with a sudden increase in solid food (if needed), and probably extra water will help too.

Kaspirant - here's some poopy vibes for you!!! Er...

Barcelona - yay gardening! What kid DOESN'T love dirt, really?

My hip is better this morning, so I guess it is just a muscle pull, thank goodness!

#12 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

I'm thinking poop for Leah and Suriya

Does anyone have a totally amazing (and dairy-free) homemade cracker recipe they want to share with me? I have one that's a really basic cracked-wheat cracker, and today we're trying a vegan goldfish cracker. But I'm experimenting, so happy to try anyone else's terrific recipe

#13 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM

I'd love to see a good cracker recipe! It is nearly impossible to find crackers without HFCS, and Killian loves to have crackers and cheese for snack.

The weather is soooooo beautiful today - sunny and close to 70 degrees. Ellie and I just had an early lunch and now I think we're going to go for a very long walk (her in the stroller so I can get a good workout), and then after picking Killian up we're going to the library. And for dinner I'm making sherried tomato soup and quesedillas. Can you think of a better way to spend a day?

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#14 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM

I have a whole sprouted grain recipe that I haven't tried yet (was planning to with the sprouts dh just sprouted). I'll post it AFTER I've tried it.

Congrats Alicia & Leah!!!

OMG... that means I'm next! :

DiD, here's my infamous poop ball recipe:
1oz ground flax seeds (ground to a powder)
1oz powdered licorice root
1oz powdered slippery elm (bark I think)
1 pint of dried fruit (prunes, apricots, anything really)
-pulse in food processor until fruit is finely chopped into the powder.
-then, depending on the fruit you used, you may need to add blackstrap molasses or honey to help the mixture stick together (without being too sticky)
-roll into small balls (think m&m covered peanuts) and roll the balls in carob or cocoa powder.

My kids love them. Just be sure that she drinks a lot of water/fluids to get the stuff dissolved in her gut.

Aloe leaf split open, should soothe and heal her fissure. You can even insert it a bit if the fissure is up inside.

As for me, I just seem to be a magnet for drama and disaster. I learned this morning what it is like to have an exercise ball explode beneath your weight. Sorry, it kinda hurts to type so that's why I'm linking it. I still think I broke something in my left elbow but I'm waiting it out. What craziness is next????
#15 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Mel, are you OK with lard? If so we do oatcakes- 1oz melted lard, half a pound of oatmeal and pour in boiling water to make a thick dough. I normally add salt and herbs too.

#16 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Congrats, Alicia on Leah's arrival! Now just poop, Leah

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
And, er, making cakes with a newborn??? All hail the goddess Helen!!!
No kidding. I am in awe.

Quote:
Mentioning nappies, Skye has totally regressed over the last month and is back in nappies- she had an extreme reaction to the antibiotics and has been diarrhoeay for much of this time, and I don't see this stopping any time soon. If any of you have kids still in nappies (pocket dipes, specifically) can you give me recommendations for a chunky toddler? I'm looking at either XL FBs or bumgenius or wonderoos.
We love FB but if you got the bG then you could use them for both of the littles I love the bG but they confused Allison when Keagan was smaller and she had to use the snaps

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#17 of 250 Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM

Alicia/kaspirant is having a hard time in the hospital.
I'm not 100% clear, as we're communicating via text, which is limited.
But, I know they are giving her a hard time for tandem-nursing,
and they are evaluating Leah again to see if she needs to be admitted into NICU in 8 hours, based on if she has a BM or not.

Anyway, she wanted me to share her number with y'all, so that if any of you might have any wisdom or help for her...I think she feels stuck and bombarded with hospital/medical talk/crap...

Here's her number: 909.915.5266. Thanks so much! She appreciates it!

I'm off to the park with Finley for a bit to meet some other mamas and babes.
#18 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM

Another Alicia/kaspirant update:

Leah had her first BM! So I think they are in the clear, and will be heading home soon. I'll keep you posted
#19 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Whew.

#20 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I am so glad to hear she is fine and they are homeward bound! Thanks, barcelona, for relaying the messages.

So who is our next impending Mama - Monique? I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

Not much new around these parts. I've been sick the past few days with Mystery Illness. I guess it was a cold or something, but all I had was a headache and horrifically swollen glands or tonsils. It was really painful. No fever though, or sneezing, or anything. I'm still swollen today but feeling a lot better.

Brynn turned 27 months yesteray (which was also my conception date back in 2005 - awww! ) and I took the most beautiful pictures of her this morning. They're on the blog if y'all want to check them out.

Oh, I did have a random question, most likely for Helen. I re-use empty glass jars (salsa, jam, etc.) for food storage, but I can't get the smell out of the jars even after they've been washed. Would white vinegar do the trick, or would it just make the jars smell like vinegar?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#21 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Suriya finally pooped too, poor little peanut. It was a miserable few days while she was working on it though. I did increase her fluid intake and gave her extra fruits and veggies and I think that was what did it.

Winter has a shiner and I'm not sure what happened. It literally looks like someone punched him in the eye, which I'm certain nothing like that has happened. I'm thinking it could be allergy related?
#22 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Yep I am next.

I'm getting just a tad more than nervous because I still haven't received my la bassine birth pool. I ordered it from birth with sol . com and having ordered from them in the past thought it was safe/a good idea. It should have been here last week. They took my money via paypal but never sent an order confirmation email or tracking number or anything. I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow and something has got to happen today or tomorrow or I'm not getting a pool

WWYD? File a refund/complaint with paypal? I've emailed them twice and called them twice with no response. This is just totally freaking me out.

I don't know if anyone read my link to the exercise ball story but today I feel totally wrecked. Literally. My neck and back feel like I have whiplash and seatbelt lash. My elbows are so sore, but not bruised because of the therapies I've been self administering. Even my calves and thighs are aching beyond the regular last month of pg ache. Must be from bracing myself. I would love to take some pain reliever, that's how hurt I feel. I can't decide whether to call the company or not. I just can't think of the right thing to say. I want at least a replacement with a burst proof ball or something because it was really the only thing comfortable for me to sit on.

I've got this anxious, gotta get everything in order but don't have the energy/I feel like crap thing going on so I feel a bit overwhelmed right now. Ugh.

ETA: I filed a dispute with paypal but that's going to take forever and I don't have the $$ to buy another birth pool in the meantime. Grrrrr: I really don't think dh is going to go for putting this on a credit card either, however, if I had bought this with a credit card instead of paypal like I had wanted to in the first place, it would have been less of a hassle to get my money back!!!! DOUBLE GRRRR!!!!
#23 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

Yay Suriya!!

Did Winter run into something? Or did something fall on him? And he's just not remembering? (that happens to me all the time).
#24 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Monique, I can't believe the ball burst. I hope that the company sends you a refund and then something extra to compensate (maybe your DH should bill them for his care of your injuries).

Kaspirant, I hope your family is home safely soon!

DID, I would think if Winter had allergic shiners it would be both eyes. (Unless he got something in the one eye- dust or pollen or something). Maybe he bumped himself without noticing?

Amy, baking soda is a great deodorizer for the glass jars. I soak them with water and baking soda. A bit of vinegar might help, but it could make them smell like pickle jars if you soaked it too long. Though I usually just recycle my salsa jars or use them for non-food stuff afterwards, because I've found the smell almost impossible to eliminate. All the other glass jars seem easier to deodorize.

QofC, sounds like a wonderful day.

The goldfish crackers are pretty good. I used substituted half whole wheat flour, and added a bit of turmeric instead of the annatto colouring. I think they could use a bit more nutritional yeast, and I salted pretty liberally. We bought cute little "cracker cutters" that were several animal shapes, so we had goldfish/fox/duck/cat/dog crackers.

#25 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy* View Post
Oh, I did have a random question, most likely for Helen. I re-use empty glass jars (salsa, jam, etc.) for food storage, but I can't get the smell out of the jars even after they've been washed. Would white vinegar do the trick, or would it just make the jars smell like vinegar?
I've done this and never had problems with the jars smelling like vinegar.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#26 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM

Amy, I just use them as is: but I normally use sweet jars (jam etc.) for sweet stuff and pickles for pickles. Salsa, IMO, is a dead loss and just gets recycled

Monique, I had difficulties ordering from HPY a few weeks ago because paypal didn't tell them they took my money I think it's worth a phone call. On the bright side, HPY's customer service kicked ass- with the confusion, somehow the wrong address got put on my order and Mariana ended up getting the parcel redirected Bless her. I do have a spare birth ball, btw, but I think you're probably going to be postnatal before it gets to you...

DiD, why would you rather that Winter had allergies than a black eye? Let's look on the positive side, huh? (And maybe he hit himself in the eye with something...)

#27 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:

DiD, why would you rather that Winter had allergies than a black eye? Let's look on the positive side, huh? (And maybe he hit himself in the eye with something...)
Oh I wouldn't rather he had allergies, it's just the way it's red and teary that made me think allergy instead of injury. I don't know what could have happened because he always tells me when he gets hurt. He's been unusually screamy today too, so has Suriya but she has a cold so my nerves are shot from all the clingy crying. Ugh I wish everyone could take a nap
#28 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I posted a long whine about being : and : and :, but it got eaten; lucky y'all! Suffice to say that I'm on day two of staying home from school, probably going for a third.

Monique, I can't believe what happened! You must have some crazy calm pregnancy hormones going on, because I gotta tell ya, with your list of maladies this close to birth time, I'd be a wreck. Hugs to you, mama.

Amy, the pictures of Brynn are adorable. She's so animated!
#29 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Monique - big s. I can't believe an exercise ball burst on you. I've seen pics, you're not huge or anything! Even pregnant I have to admit, when I was in the throes of PPD when Rowan was wee and I used to bounce her on my ball to get her to quiet down enough to nurse, I'd have weird fantasies/daydream nightmares about the ball breaking - I'd occupy my mind with exactly which way I could fall that would cause the least amount of damage to her and the most amount of damage to me so I could take a few days "off" - ha ha. Anyway, that probably doesn't help. I hope you feel better soon. I think you can take tylenol, can't you? Just a little?

I discovered this morning that grocery shopping on my bike with Rowan is not a good idea. We went to the grocery store after playgroup and got some milk, a few zucchinis, some frozen blueberries and a small box of pasta; I'd already picked up bacon and eggs at the charcuterie next to DH's office because we went there for a visit. So I put all the groceries in my backpack, put my backpack on, got on the bike... and heard muffled protests from the baby seat. Turns out that because I am small, and have a small-frame bike, the baby seat is not far enough behind my seat to accomodate a full backpack AND Rowan. Urgh. I biked home leaning far over my handlebars, it was very uncomfortable - but fortunately we only live 4 or 5 blocks from the store. So no more biking for groceries (or at least not gallons of milk and a pile of other stuff.)

Amy, supercute pics. The one where she's asleep, she looks just like Rowan And in other ones she looks EXACTLY like her mama. Oh and I'm a fan of the baking soda for deodorizing, but I find it's the lids on jars that hold onto the smell, and sometimes there's just nothing you can do. :

Teresa, I hope you feel better soon. Colds suck.

I'm glad all the poops happened and Alicia is home (?) with her baby.

#30 of 250 Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM

It's been crazy. Jacob adores and detests his baby sister all at the same time.

I can't wait to get my birth story written...We are all home...we are all well (I think) It was stressful for a while. I'll tell you all about it when I'm not NAKing and chasing a naked two year old around.

But in good news...We had a doctor's appointment this morning to check on Leah and I was able to get both kids out of the house with *almost* everything we needed and was at the doctor's 10 minutes before the actual appointment time AND we stopped off to pick up Jacob's shoes he left at a friends house.

I feel like super mom. I was afraid...of trying to get out of the house...

more later

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page