Potty learning - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 yr 2 mos ds has been potty learning but in the past two weeks he has gone from making it to the toilet 95% of the time for the prior 6 weeks or so to having both poop and pee accidents. These accidents occur only at home and are sometimes accompanied by toilet reminder refusals but can also occur an hour after using the toilet. Being naked or in underwear or sweats makes no difference. We are matter of fact about it.

Why would this be happening only at home? No changes occurring around here. Is this an independence asserting issue? I'd think the annoyance of having to get cleaned up and changes would be a deterrent.

Thanks
#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 AM

I don't know that I can help, but we're having the same problem so I can commiserate! Mine is 3yr 3mo and was not quite as completely trained as yours, but hadn't had a poop accident in several months. He was doing ok with pee, but inconsistent. Now, for the past week, he never tells me he has to pee, just goes right in his underwear and then tells me. He has pooped his pants a couple times also. As long as I tell him to go potty every couple hours, the accidents are minimal, but if not, he's basically using his underwear as a toilet all day long. He is only disturbed by it when he poops his pants. If we go out somewhere, he never has an accident, although I usually have him go before we leave. But fairly often we'll be out and tell me he needs to go and be able to hold it for at least 10 min if needed. We also have the problem where we ask him if he has to go or thinks he could even do a tiny bit of pee and he says no, and proceeds to pee his pants 5 min later. Today I asked him if there was a problem or something, because it's just yucky to pee/poop in your clothes and he just told me "I'll do all my pee and poop in the potty when I'm all grown up". Hmmm....
I just don't get it, he is developing normally in all other aspects. I don't know if I should just keep reminding him when to go, or continue to let him go through 4+ pairs of underwear and pants each day (uggh...more laundry!).
Ideas anyone????
Lisa
#3 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM

yet another mama that can commiserate If nothing else, it's nice to know others go through the same thing.

My dd did fantastic for about 2 months then started having accidents at home and after a week or so it started happening when we were out too. I still am not completely sure what happened, but I figured that I needed some kind of potty learning refreshers course and it has been working for the past three days we have done it. I made my own potty chart, which I never did the first time, and she gets a small prize after a whole row is complete and I set up a littler corner of the bathroom with her potty and her potty books so it's her special area. At first she was a little weary and resisted it, but about half way through the first day she warmed up to it and hasn't had an accident yet.
#4 of 4 Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have done EC since birth. From 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 months my son fussed every time he has to pee. He knows what to do, where to do it, how to do it, etc.

Today he was standing 18 inches from his potty and he peed his pants (and the floor.) What I have found is that he simply gets bored with the whole thing.

So, we do what we can to make it interesting. We'd been having really good success until the latest bout of boredom. I think I'm going to try stickers again. The last time we overcame boredom with books. That was good for 10 months. Some people try having their sons pee on cheerios. That didn't work for us at 15 months. He still pees sitting, so I don't think it will work.

So, don't fret. Find a boredom fighter.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page