Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Life with a Toddler (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/)
-   -   22 month old not sleeping through the night (http://www.mothering.com/forum/31-life-toddler/858924-22-month-old-not-sleeping-through-night.html)

mikeandtoribaby 03-04-2008 05:02 PM

My 22 month old has been sleeping in his own room for awhile. However, for the past two weeks he has been getting up in the middle of the night and coming into our room. I put him back to bed and stay with him until he falls sleep. However, he usually is up for 2 to 3 hours in the middle of the night before he falls back to sleep. Some nights he seems wide awake, other nights he seems very tired but for some reason can't go back to sleep. Recently this has happen consistently every night.

A little background information:

I am currently 33 weeks pregnant. He goes to bed at 9:30 and wakes up between 8:30-9:30 am. He is very active.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WuWei 03-04-2008 08:35 PM

Wheat caused frequent night wakening in our son. Dairy could also be a culprit for restlessness, agitation or irritability.

Pat

askew 03-04-2008 09:19 PM

How long did you have to remove wheat to see a difference?

ktbug 03-04-2008 09:22 PM

Just so I know - at what age should a mom start to worry that her toddler doesn't STTN? My 19mo still wakes at least once a night, but he still cosleeps and bf's, and I haven't made any attempt to nightwean or otherwise encourage STTN. Am I supposed to?

JamieCatheryn 03-04-2008 09:30 PM

My son is that age and some nights he stays in his room until 5am or later, others he comes to us at 2 or 3am. It's annoying when he comes in early but it usually means he is fighting off a germ or got chilly or thirsty. I don't consider it a problem.

WuWei 03-04-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelika13 View Post
How long did you have to remove wheat to see a difference?
About a week or two. But, some react to other additives concurrently, so eliminating just wheat, may not solve the issue.

Pat

WuWei 03-04-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
Just so I know - at what age should a mom start to worry that her toddler doesn't STTN? My 19mo still wakes at least once a night, but he still cosleeps and bf's, and I haven't made any attempt to nightwean or otherwise encourage STTN. Am I supposed to?

Most folks have light sleep cycles and awaken. How one falls asleep is highly associated with what one needs to fall back asleep. You might be interested in reading "Sleepless In America", just because it lists a lot of variables which interfere with sleep and suggestions on helping fall asleep.

Pat

burm_keep 03-04-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:
I have a a 2 year old (28 months) who cosleeps and breastfeeds and will still sometimes wake at night to nurse. Sometimes not at all, sometimes once and maybe sometimes twice. He'll nurse and roll back over to sleep. I think it's completely normal. I sometimes wake at night too

I don't think I would worry unless someone wasn't getting enough sleep due to night waking.

nighten 03-04-2008 09:39 PM

Re-examine your room environment and see if there's something that is catching his attention and causing him to wake fully. Things like lights (even nightlights), ceiling fans, etc., can make a difference with an older baby or toddler.

If it's not something in his diet, could it be his two year molars?

Or is he hungry? Giving Winnie a BIG snack before bed (and nursing to sleep) helps a lot with her sleeping more soundly throughout the night.

Is he waking and wanting to play or nurse?

WildCanaryCait 03-05-2008 02:51 AM

I have a cosleeping BFing little guy too, 22 months. He wakes once or twice a night to nurse still then rolls on over. He's asleep at 8 every night and up and ready to GO by 7 after an hours nursing in bed in the morn.....Nursereeeaaaaadd!...lol.
He wakes more if something is worrying him, or maybe he's overtired, or the molars are bothering him. Sometimes his head is just ssoooo busy and full of things he has seen, books we've read, places we've gone...it takes him a while to settle in.

A great book that helped me feel ok about his/our cycles is 'Our Babies, Ourselves'. There's a whole chapter devoted to explaining just how babies sleep cycles work and how different they really are. Heck I don't sleep much through the night myself! lol.....although I am sure looking forward to it!

good luck

SundayCrepes 03-05-2008 02:53 AM

Quote:
My son is 26 months. We co-sleep and he nurses multiple times during the night. I figure this is what nature intended so don't worry about it.

alegna 03-05-2008 03:01 AM

Waking one time a night at under 2 years old when sleeping for 12 hours straight seems perfectly normal (and *lucky*) to me.

Dd has always been a sleeper. She STTN off and on from day one (STTN is *5* hours....) and at 2 when those molars were coming in she was waking at LEAST twice a night and she only slept 9 hours at a stretch.

-Angela