Food & Texture Issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 30 months and still has texture issues with foods.
She had nasty reflux until about 15 months adnd never did well with thick or lumpy foods. She still has issues with anything dry or hard (ie carrots, even apple slices). She will chew and chew but always spits them out, sometimes gags.
Is this normal to still have at 2.5? Anything we can do tohelp her along?

L
#2 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Hi,

My 4.5 yo ds has sensory issues, major food aversions and something therapists call oral defensiveness. At 2.5 yo he ended up in hospital w/nutritional deficiencies. The Drs told us he'd require a feeding tube. He had HORRIBLE reflux as a baby but his ped said it was w/n the normal range and didn't recommend any treatment.

I'm not saying that any of this will happen to your child but I know how difficult food issues can be. Some of the things we tried were occupational therapy, feeding programs and I took my son to a ped GI Dr to make sure he wasn't still experiencing reflux. None of these things worked very well for us. Instead I have come up w/a smoothie that contains all the vits and mins, protein, fats (EFA's) etc that I could stick in there and slowly, very slowly my son recovered from the deficiencies and he is VERY SLOWLY adding foods to his repertoire.

My son also still has the gagging reaction to a lot of foods but it is lessening. I don't push him to eat because it doesn't work. It backfires. The ped GI that saw my son said that if a child doesn't have any physical GI probs, eventually 95% of kids will outgrow their problems. They may always be slow to try knew things and they may not want to eat a variety of things but they will overcome most of their aversions. I've learned to go at my son's pace.

I'd recommend finding a vit/min supplement that your dd can take and try to get her evaluated by early intervention. EI is available usually to kids under 3.

HTH a little!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#3 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM

I would think about seeking out an occupational therapist for this. Food aversions can be really hard to deal with, and sometimes just having a professional who's not as emotionally involved can really help. I wonder too that she can't chew and swallow hard food.

There's also a good book called "Just Take a Bite" that addresses some of these kinds of food issues. The key is to realize that this is more than 'just' picky eating.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#4 of 5 Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 PM

My son is three and still has issues with food textures. He has trouble with hard things, meat and can't stand things like yogurt or like you mentioned..really lumpy foods. I think it's still pretty normal and I don't worry about it too much.
#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, we'll talk to the doctor about it. She eats a reasonable variety of foods, because we just work around it, kwim? The gagging and spitting seem to be a matter of inability rather than aversion ~ she *likes* carrots and will chew and chew but never swallow. I just haven't seen any progress in a long time... (it took us forever to get her off of purees!).

L

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page