stuttering or normal phase? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi there-
my son will be 2 1/2 next month and is very verbal- i mean, speaks in long sentences/paragraphs. just a few days ago i noticed that he will stutter sometimes- not sure if it is a true definition of the word stutter, but he'll repeat a word like he's stuck on it- for example, do, do, do, do you want to play ball with me? i looked online and have read things that say it is a normal phase for this age, like their brains are faster than their mouths and they just get stuck sometimes with the processing. but i also know that early intervention can be key so i'd hate to not be doing something if i should.
so... does anyone have any personal experience with this they'd like to share?
(he definitely doesn't do it all the time- its just i noticed him doing it throughout the day where i had never heard him do it before)
thanks so much!
jen

mama to my home birthed brothers
jack 10.13.05 gabriel kai 6.9.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Normal!! My daughter did this for about a year and a half, and her stuttering was really bad. Our ped said wait a year and then we'd look into speech therapy, but it corrected itself. BTW, she started it at about 2.5 and it stopped around the age of 4.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#3 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM

I've just posted on this in Health and Healing. Some people came up with helpful advice and a great article to read. Check it out!

I'd also be really interested to know how things develop for you if you wouldn't mind letting me know. Thanks!
#4 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 03:20 PM

Normal, normal, normal. My oldest dd did this for a while around the same age. It bugged the heck out of me then when I finally got used to it, it stopped. The advice we got from her teachers was to IGNORE it, which was hard but we did it.

Mama to Zoe (8/00), Morgan : (10/01), Brooke9/06), Casey 20wks (2/08), and Riley : (2/09): She's really here!!
#5 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all for your replies. the health and healing mamas seem to be leaning the other way towards needing some kind of intervention and i am very confused! of course i want to think its a normal speech thing for his age and it will go away all on its own. but also don't want to make it harder to correct by ignoring it. ah, the decisions one must make as a parent!
thanks again for the advice and please feel free to keep em comin.
jen

#6 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Another vote for "normal" here.

I called our pediatrician when dd started this just before she turned 2. She was SUPER verbal. The pedi said that it is incredibly common and nothing to worry about. I ended up getting worried anyways after about a year (it comes and goes - we'll go weeks or months without and then it can pop back up), and the speech therapist said it was normal too. She said that it is common for kids whose brains are going fast, whose parents talk fast, and it is more likely to happen when they are excited, nervous, or trying to jump into a conversation. She suggested that we work on talking more slowly, not rushing her, and not mentioning it. She's doing much better now. I only notice it if I'm on the phone and she's interrupting or when she's flustered.

-Amanda
Doula, student midwife, and homeschooling mom to 4
#7 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM

NORMAL!!!! (mine does it and I've read it's NORMAL...)

still learning
#8 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM

We're reading some books right now on child development -- what the research actually says, what the brain is actually doing, etc etc. All very 'scientific' and research-based.

I remember specifically reading about how this is a completely normal phase of speech development. I can look up the reference for you if you like.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#9 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks for this post, and thanks hippie mama for sharing your experience, so helpful. Our DS started this around 2.5 as well, and the timing was when I was having a really rough time w/anxiety & speaking very quickly, rattling off questions to him. Our ped. said it could be totally normal esp. w/very verbal child, and to take ALL pressure off him language-wise, have standards for behavior, but NO pressure on speech, i.e. don't ask his opinion or ask him questions, use statements; don't make him say hello, talk to, or answer people, etc. Don't comment on it, if he's upset, say something like, oh that's frustrating, no big deal, and move on. Oh, and don't process adult stuff we're stressed about in front of him.

it really made a difference & calmed us down too. now, I've had another bad spell of anxiety & DH & I have been talking really quickly again, not editing our conversations, and he's stuttering again., so we're being mindful of our own speech again.
#10 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 PM

It is normal, pretty sure both my kids did it, and I always assumed it was normal, and it went away.
#11 of 22 Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
For my ds, it was not normal. He needed the help of a good speech therapist to get over his blocking (which is the politically correct term for stuttering.)

I'd give it a few weeks and then consult a speech therapist if it still continues.

In the meantime, slow down your OWN speech; if you talk fast, your ds may be trying to match your rate of speech.

Also, give your son eye contact, and wait for him to finish talking, but don't draw attention to it (don't tell him to "think" about what he is saying, or to take a deep breath, or anything like that.)

The speech therapist also said that when ds talks, everyone else in the family needs to STOP their conversations immediately and listen to him.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#12 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 AM

I noticed my DD doing this too. She is 27 months and very verbal. I talked to a speech therapist I know and she said it is totally normal. She said it is usually seen around 3 when they want to say so much but can't get it out fast enough but it can happen sooner with a very verbal child. She said to ignore, ignore, ignore and tell everyone who interacts with her to do the same. She said just give her wait time but don't draw any attention to it and it should resolve on its own.

Let them sleep in the middle, Let them be little
#13 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 PM

My 2.5 year old started doing this a little over a month ago. I search through all of the old threads on stuttering and fond A LOT of "normal" posts about it. He mostly only does it when he really wants to be heard or is excited "Ga-Ga-Ga-Ga Gavin found the train!" My dh is more worried about it than I am. He has his 3 year check up in August and, if it is still going on, I will talk to our ped about it then.

We have been ignoring it and trying to slow down our speech. I also try to focus my attention only on him when things get a little loud and I can tell he is really wanting to be heard.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
For my ds, it was not normal. He needed the help of a good speech therapist to get over his blocking (which is the politically correct term for stuttering.)

I'd give it a few weeks and then consult a speech therapist if it still continues.

In the meantime, slow down your OWN speech; if you talk fast, your ds may be trying to match your rate of speech.

Also, give your son eye contact, and wait for him to finish talking, but don't draw attention to it (don't tell him to "think" about what he is saying, or to take a deep breath, or anything like that.)

The speech therapist also said that when ds talks, everyone else in the family needs to STOP their conversations immediately and listen to him.
This is NORMAL- I have an undergraduate degree in speech therapy, and my stuttering professor wrote the book (seriously). This pp is exactly correct, though. If you're concerned about a stutter, SLOW down your own speech, but also turn off any distractors. It is very likely that there's just too much going on & your dc's brain gets "stuck" while trying to process it all & speak too! PP is also correct that you should NOT draw attention to it- don't fill in the word for him or finish the sentence or ask him to hurry up & finish. Just look directly at him and wait until it comes out. That's basically all the speech therapist would do for him at this point anyway. I'd say that at 2.5 yrs. he's too young for stuttering therapy. It's not until about 4 that you get concerned. Before that, they're learning too fast to consider stuttering anything but developmental.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#15 of 22 Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM

I am a speech pathologist. If what you are hearing is word repetitions, its likely normal.

True stuttering is usually in the form of syllable repetitions (i.e. "ba-ba-ba-ball"), prolongations ("ssssssssssssssstop."), and blocks (when the person appears stuck or frozen. like they are being blocked from finishing the word and are stuck).

If you were hearing things like this, I'd be more concerned.

Another rule of thumb is to monitor it for 6 months and see if it lasts.

But again, if its only word repetitions, I'd say its normal dysfluency.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#16 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 AM

This is normal for that age. My ds started doing this at about the same age. Try to ignore it and do not let anyone make fun of it or draw attention to it. With my ds he was about 2 1/2 when it started and by 3 1/2 almost went away. And then it got worse. Kids were making fun of him for it. He would come home from preschool crying. I addressed the issue at the preschool but the damage was done. He was so self conscience of it. He started to go to a speech therapist around 4 1/2 and by the end of kindergarden he no longer needed to see the therapist. I believe she said when you are stuck on a word it is stammering and when you are stuck on a letter it is studdering. DS is now 16 and is a great public speaker.
#17 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just another "yes, it's normal" reply here. My son did it for a while and eventually grew out of it.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#18 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 02:08 AM

My son has always been highly verbal, and has gone through several phases when he was stuttering. I was careful to not interrupt him and tried my best to let him finish his statement on his own. Sometimes I would say the word he was trying to say for him, and then he would finish. Sometimes I would ask if I could hold his hand thinking it would calm him down I always thought it was just a sign that he was going through another developmental phase...

My suggestion is to be supportive and kind without making a big deal about it. Oh, and be sure to keep others on the same page as you...
#19 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

thank you everyone- truly. it is so reassuring to know how many of your little ones have gone through it as a normal phase requiring no intervention other than love and patience. i'm sure this is just one of many times my heart will ache thinking of any difficulty my child would have to go through. you just want everything to be perfect for them, you know?
to the speech therapists that replied- thank you. my concern is that he does seem to be repeating the sound rather than the word. like his most common trouble spot seems to be the word "because"- he'll say be-be-be-be-because. so it does worry me a bit as i am hearing you say that it is less troublesome if it is word repetition rather than first sound repetition. so knowing that, would you still suggest waiting a bit- or is intervening sooner rather than later with a professional the best thing?
thank you so much!
jen

#20 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

DD is 2 1/2 as well and about 2 months ago went through a stuttering stage. I was so worried because she went from speaking complete sentences clearly to stuttering over simple words. It disappeared after a week. I guess it was just a phase.
#21 of 22 Old 03-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Another one for the normal stage here... my son was doing that last month (he is 29 months now) and it lasted for only about 4 weeks actually, I just noticed that he hardly does it now, and it was so bad, I was so concerned. He is also very verbal, and I was so worried, it actually happened over night!! And now, like magic, it's disappeared. I have heard it lasts for a year sometimes.
#22 of 22 Old 03-27-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

thank you again everyone so much for your replies. it is really comforting to hear from so many of you that your kids went through this- and stopped. i'm having a hard time emotionally today and would love to talk/pm/email with anyone that would be willing. even though he doesn't seem aware of it 90% of the time, MY heart is breaking for him and i just feel like i don't want him to hurt at all- ever- you know. i know its all relative and i sure would rather be facing a possible long term stutter than something seriously health related- so i feel kind of guilty feeling so crummy. but, i do. so if anyone is up for making me feel better, or just letting me vent, or saying, yeah, i feel/felt that way too- i'd love to hear from you. you can pm me if you want.
thanks again all.
jen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page