Mothering Forum banner

Do grumpy babies equal grumpy toddlers?

646 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ShyDaisi 
#1 ·
My ds has been pretty "high needs" through most of his first year. I feel like I am headed to the nut house with all of the whining and crying.
I was just wondering if this is something to just get used to? Or, can I look forward to a light at the end of this very, very long and dark tunnel?

Don't get me wrong....I love my son, but most days it seems the "grumpy" times outweigh the "happy" times...I am just exhausted....so I was looking to get a glimpse into the future from you experienced mamas.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
My little guy was grumpy as a baby too. I used to look around at all the other babies and think I had the crankiest by far. Now he is the complete opposite - happy-go-lucky and full of humour. I think it started to change when he was around 5-6 months - as soon as he could sit up and see what was going on.

#3 ·
I think they go through phases. My twins were very high-need infants and they very much are as toddlers. But they have a few weeks that they are angels and then it goes right back into being cranky all the time and whining about anything. The longest time that they were good was when they first learned to walk. It lasted a few months and then the cranky was back and now they are 2 y/o high needs toddlers. I love'em and it wouldnt be the same if they werent.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I know it can't be predicted. Some days I just don't know where I am going to get the energy to get through the next! I spend the majority of my energy trying to keep him happy and the rest trying to keep him safe. I just feel spent....

I knew that being a mama was hard work, but not like this. I don't think I have ever met such a needy baby - although, I know they exist....I thought needy babies were created. I did not know they came this way....

#6 ·
Not for my ds!! He cried alllll the time and I could NEVER put him down! Now he is SO laid-back and all my friends envy me. He's really a pill when he's teething or going through any type of discomfort, so I think a lot of the first year was that.

Wendi

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendizbaby View Post
Not for my ds!! He cried alllll the time and I could NEVER put him down! Now he is SO laid-back and all my friends envy me. He's really a pill when he's teething or going through any type of discomfort, so I think a lot of the first year was that.

Wendi
I have hope!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.